Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

lulz

https://twitter.com/BillShaikin/status/939249672291569664

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Best Fans St Louis is going to be great tonight.

Also this:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Popete posted:

Please get Fowler off that team, he deserves better.

Pancakes deserves better too

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Stanton please come to the Cubs if only for the salty takes.

Also isn't it rather odd for a team to release a statement regarding a players choice not to play for them? Kinda throwing Stanton under the bus just cause he doesn't wanna move to St. Louis.

@BestFansStLouis

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

Also isn't it rather odd for a team to release a statement regarding a players choice not to play for them? Kinda throwing Stanton under the bus just cause he doesn't wanna move to St. Louis.
Cardinals FO knows where their bread is buttered.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Uuuggghhhh I hate the Angels. I guess it's better than the Dodgers or something.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Sydin posted:

Speaking of the Cardinals apparently they're now listening to offers for Fowler.

:thunk:
I wonder why?

I can not qwhite put my finger on it.

MerklesBoner
Apr 5, 2003

beejay posted:

Uuuggghhhh I hate the Angels. I guess it's better than the Dodgers or something.

:yossame:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Did anyone tell Ohtani that the Angels have completely wasted having the best player in the world for the last 6 years?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

:sigh:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Did anyone tell Ohtani that the Angels have completely wasted having the best player in the world for the last 6 years?

Ohtani truly believes he can erase the crimes of Rally Monkey, he's in for a rude awakening.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ohtani is going to sign some absurdly team-friendly extension that buys out like 3 years of free agency next winter and the Angels will still be bad the whole time.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Sydin posted:

Speaking of the Cardinals apparently they're now listening to offers for Fowler.

Why do they hate him so much? The signed him to a big contract hoping he'd put up good numbers for them, and he put up good (albeit slightly less good than his career 2016 year) numbers for them. And yet they've taken him out of lead off, were saying they were going to push him to a corner spot, and are now trying to trade him. I do not understand.

They don't deserve Dex anyway.

Come back home, Dex. We miss you!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/WillMiller1763/status/939256870354718721

Stanton is only in it for the money.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Imagine wanting your pay to be in line with your skill at your profession

Bet the same dude sees no problem with what CEOs make

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Cubs by far have the weakest farm out of those 4. No chance.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Sydin posted:

Why do they hate him so much? The signed him to a big contract hoping he'd put up good numbers for them, and he put up good (albeit slightly less good than his career 2016 year) numbers for them. And yet they've taken him out of lead off, were saying they were going to push him to a corner spot, and are now trying to trade him. I do not understand.

He wasn't v good defensively in Center they already have Pham in left field, so he'd be in right field where his offensive numbers don't look as impressive, so I'm just guessing they think they can do better while he might be an upgrade for another team.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It doesn't matter how weak the farm is, it's pretty clear no team is going to give up a huge ransom of players for Stanton at this point. The best the Marlins can hope for is to get someone to eat the contract and throw in maybe a top 100 prospect

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

Imagine wanting your pay to be in line with your skill at your profession

Bet the same dude sees no problem with what CEOs make

Or the fact that Stanton will make the same amount of money no matter where he goes.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Popete posted:

Or the fact that Stanton will make the same amount of money no matter where he goes.

I clicked through on that one, he's insisting that Stanton wants to go to big cities like NY and LA for the endorsement opportunities

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Popete posted:

Not true from a net pay standpoint due to varying state tax rates. :eng101:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

I clicked through on that one, he's insisting that Stanton wants to go to big cities like NY and LA for the endorsement opportunities

Oh right of course, that's obviously it.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Pancakes posted:

Not true from a net pay standpoint due to varying state tax rates. :eng101:

So he's coming to the Astros you say

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

So what's to prevent whoever trades for Stanton from signing him to an extension that adds 20 years at $1M/yr on to the end of his current contract? That'd lower his luxury tax AAV to like $10.5M.

For that matter, why wouldn't several teams do this sort of thing for Harper et all next year?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Pretty sure the league would immediately void that

As hot and bothered as Stanton on the Astros gets me, I'm not sure I want them to be paying him so much into his age 38 season

Still a better contract than Pujols though

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Sydin posted:

The largest position player talent pool they have in AAA is in the outfield and their farm team this year was insane, they finished something like 35 games over .500 (to the extent that such things matter). Dex has been good for them but medium-term I think they want to have Mags or O’Neill in CF and Dex’s production isn’t as good by corner outfielder standards. Dex is by all accounts popular in the clubhouse and well-liked by non-racist fans, but to be fair I haven’t been back to St. Louis since 2013 NLDS Game 2. I’m trying to persuade Kevlar and Poque to do a road trip from Chicago to St. Louis for a game but apparently my bitchin’ ‘06 Civic isn’t much of a draw.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Aren't the Mets still paying Bobby Bonilla $1m a year until like 2035?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Meydey posted:

Aren't the Mets still paying Bobby Bonilla $1m a year until like 2035?

The Bonilla thing wasn't to circumvent the luxury tax system though

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Intruder posted:

The Bonilla thing wasn't to circumvent the luxury tax system though

But it's still hilarious.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Your Taint posted:

But it's still hilarious.

Oh absolutely, I just meant that any attempt to sign someone to a zillion year contract at $1 per year to beat the luxury tax is going to get Manfred loving them right up the rear end with fines before voiding the whole thing really fast

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I still don't think the Cubs are going to eat Stanton's contract, though, seeing as they want to be major players in next year's FA market.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Your Taint posted:

I still don't think the Cubs are going to eat Stanton's contract, though, seeing as they want to be major players in next year's FA market.

My guess is that the Cubs thinking is that given how thin the farm is running these days, they'd rather just play the lotto of trying to sign Harper next season vs trading pieces for Stanton. Who knows though.

bawfuls posted:

So what's to prevent whoever trades for Stanton from signing him to an extension that adds 20 years at $1M/yr on to the end of his current contract? That'd lower his luxury tax AAV to like $10.5M.

For that matter, why wouldn't several teams do this sort of thing for Harper et all next year?

Manfred would stomp on the contract immediately since it's clearly set up to get around the CBA.

Pancakes posted:

The largest position player talent pool they have in AAA is in the outfield and their farm team this year was insane, they finished something like 35 games over .500 (to the extent that such things matter). Dex has been good for them but medium-term I think they want to have Mags or O’Neill in CF and Dex’s production isn’t as good by corner outfielder standards. Dex is by all accounts popular in the clubhouse and well-liked by non-racist fans, but to be fair I haven’t been back to St. Louis since 2013 NLDS Game 2.

Fair enough I guess, but if the Cardinals had tons of AAA OF depth nipping at the heels of MLB, why did they go out and sign Fowler to a 5/82 contract?

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/939270249366609920?s=17

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
lol, poor Jeets.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Popete posted:

lol, poor Jeets.

I hope Stanton gets him a fruit basket.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

lol, poor Jeets.
What if, and here's a crazy idea, Jeets had spoken to his superstar player with a NTC about where he'd be willing to go before beginning trade talks? :monocle:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Sydin posted:

Fair enough I guess, but if the Cardinals had tons of AAA OF depth nipping at the heels of MLB, why did they go out and sign Fowler to a 5/82 contract?

Very few of them seemed MLB-ready a year ago, Bader was the only one anyone had any serious hopes on seeing. They also had absolutely no idea Pham would break out. Check out Pham’s stat line for the year, then realize he was in AAA for the first month because the Cards had all but given up on him as a regular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

bawfuls posted:

What if, and here's a crazy idea, Jeets had spoken to his superstar player with a NTC about where he'd be willing to go before beginning trade talks? :monocle:

Eh I feel like players often say like one place they would accept, but then end up accepting a different place when forced to make a decision.

• Locked thread