Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Lessail posted:

Seriously how do you avoid feeling like you're dying inside each time you're forced to fight non-bosses in the late game

The new ability you get in chapter 8 is so ridiculously powerful that it feels op. Trash monsters are not a problem if you use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I am extremely salty about using all the cores I've been hoarding for half the game on the new party member not getting poo poo from them

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That gatcha feel

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

I am extremely salty about using all the cores I've been hoarding for half the game on the new party member not getting poo poo from them

I got the rare blade Vale on my first core crystal I've used on the last party member you get.

Also don't count common blades out, they can get very strong skill combos. I got a common blade with orb master AND the skill that hits two adjacent orbs at a time and it's one of the strongest blades I have period.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

nerdz posted:

I got the rare blade Vale on my first core crystal I've used on the last party member you get.

Also don't count common blades out, they can get very strong skill combos. I got a common blade with orb master AND the skill that hits two adjacent orbs at a time and it's one of the strongest blades I have period.

On the other hand I already have the rest of the party who all have pretty good blade setups so this doesn't exactly make me want to try the new person out

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Might be a longshot, but I'm working on finishing XCX1 before I dig into this and I could use some party advice.

I'm about 40 hours in and Crossing the sword arm now.

I'm looking for what's the most busted rear end party loadout - characters, arts, skills, gems - basically I want to mainline the story and knock it out as fast as possible so I don't get sidetracked and fail to finish it again.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I just received a copy of this which I expect to be playing later this evening.

I've been following the thread though scrolling past anything that looks to be plot-heavy. I have a sense as to how combat may work though it's hard to keep everything straight without having experienced it concretely. I have also decided (for now) that krabble farming ruins Xenoblade much like fast travel ruins Skyrim -- I intend to try to use mostly what I'm given and not grind things out too much.

I'm aware that I should save a few extra core things for potential additional plot members. I'm also aware that I should pay close attention to the tutorials as they come up and that if I'm not owning the opponent I'm probably doing something wrong.

Are there any other things I should know before going in blind?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Has anyone figured out what breaking the elemental sealstones does? I've broken the fire, wind, earth and water seals, and I found what look like light, dark, ice and lightning sealstones in Temperantia, but those ones can't be interacted with. Is this something I can complete now (Chapter 6) or does something happen later?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I don't know what this is but it looks like a spoiler I don't want to read about.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't know what this is but it looks like a spoiler I don't want to read about.
The fire one is literally on a ledge high up in a cave completely at random in a side area in Mor Ardain. At most it's a spoiler for a complicated endgame sidequest existing.

(and honestly I assume it is exactly that)

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Andrast posted:

I read this, used a common core for the hell of it, and got a rare blade

thanks for giving me your luck, friend

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I've been doing sidequests and Perun still won't unlock affinity lvl 2, stiil at 1/3

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Calaveron posted:

I've been doing sidequests and Perun still won't unlock affinity lvl 2, stiil at 1/3

It's really specific and loving stupid, look up a video and save yourself the annoyance. Gotta be around mid ch4.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

IcePhoenix posted:

Nothing spoilery at all there's stones scattered around various maps that you need to pass skill checks to interact with, there's one in the first zone.

Bland fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 9, 2017

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fuuuuck, I just had the Percival quest bug out and it seems unrecoverable. Some enemies I had to fight showed up in a cutscene, but when it ended they just never appeared. There are no current steps for it in the quest menu either. As far as I can tell I can't even abandon it and start over. The quest involves a lot of running around to obscure locations and no fewer than 6 merc missions. Be sure you save before initiating the part on the Argentum salvage deck...

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Salty Soil, where

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Calaveron posted:

Salty Soil, where

Uraya, find a spot that drops minerals. Reload with fast travel and farm. Use a Blade with Mineralogy to speed up the process.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
They should've had different icons for the different collection spots on the map

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
I have this game, but haven't had the chance to play it yet, mostly because my only TV has been hijacked for reasons related to an obscure holiday involving trees and a really old dead guy. Also sickness, but mostly the first thing.

How much of a graphical hit is playing the game in handheld-mode? Is it okay or is it '3DS Hyrule Warriors' bad?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Airspace posted:

I have this game, but haven't had the chance to play it yet, mostly because my only TV has been hijacked for reasons related to an obscure holiday involving trees and a really old dead guy. Also sickness, but mostly the first thing.

How much of a graphical hit is playing the game in handheld-mode? Is it okay or is it '3DS Hyrule Warriors' bad?

Not that bad. The dynamic resolution does get pretty low at times that require it, but I've spent almost half my playtime on handheld and I don't mind it all that much.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Airspace posted:

I think it’s fine, and I know it’s not a Wii U to 3ds gap in quality.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

victrix posted:

Might be a longshot, but I'm working on finishing XCX1 before I dig into this and I could use some party advice.

I'm about 40 hours in and Crossing the sword arm now.

I'm looking for what's the most busted rear end party loadout - characters, arts, skills, gems - basically I want to mainline the story and knock it out as fast as possible so I don't get sidetracked and fail to finish it again.

You are nowhere near close to the end. Just rock Shulk/Reyn/Sharla, or try using Melia. Dont let the AI control her though, as it cant make her gimmick work properly to reach Big Numbers.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The one thing about combat that totally isn't clicking for me is the Driver Combos. I don't think i've ever pulled one off in entirety. It never seems like I have the resources to somehow break, topple, launch, then smash something with the limited skills available at any given time. Is this basically where you are supposed to use non-rare blades to fill in gaps?

For those only using rare blades, what party/blade combos are you using that have easy access to the full driver combo? My current party is Rex, Morag, Zeke.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

BabyRyoga posted:

The one thing about combat that totally isn't clicking for me is the Driver Combos. I don't think i've ever pulled one off in entirety. It never seems like I have the resources to somehow break, topple, launch, then smash something with the limited skills available at any given time. Is this basically where you are supposed to use non-rare blades to fill in gaps?

For those only using rare blades, what party/blade combos are you using that have easy access to the full driver combo? My current party is Rex, Morag, Zeke.

The AI never seems to use it properly so the only way I can get them done is giving Rex Topple/Launch/Smash (Which I've done with Pyra/Agate/Roc.) I still have to wait for the AI to use break but they at least do that fairly frequently. Any attempts to give one of the middle attacks like topple or especially launch to the AI just ends up with them almost never using it.

Aerox fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 9, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Aerox posted:

The AI never seems to use it properly so the only way I can get them done is giving Rex Topple/Launch/Smash

Might want to spoiler Rex having Roc :ssh:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just rock Shulk/Reyn/Sharla

This is the worst possible advice for someone wanting to finish the game quickly. Don't use Sharla unless you're fighting something hard enough to actually need the healing, on 99% of fights her presence just makes things take longer for no reason.

If you really want to kill big things quickly use Riki and Melia, build them for maximum damage on their "damage over time" abilities, and use those during chain attacks. Controlling Melia makes long chain attacks easier, because she can use the middle art on her bar up to three times if she has three elementals summoned, and because it's colourless it can link different coloured arts without breaking the combo. Combine this with the fact that DoTs douple-dip on the combo bonus*, and you can melt bosses' health bars in seconds.

Melia can also do bonkers damage by herself if you gem her for bonus electric damage and discharge three electric elements in a row, but if the enemy survives it will be very angry at her and she will die before anyone else can get its attention again

* (The damage per tick on a DoT is calculated as a percentage of the damage done by the initial hit. During a chain attack, the chain bonus is applied to the initial hit, and then also applied to the DoT portion after that, resulting in a bonus of up to 49 times the normal damage)

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 9, 2017

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I got annoyed with a certain sidequest's battle the first of the three fights for leveling the Merc group to rank 3 and said gently caress it and finally spent the bonus EXP I've been saving for like 3 chapters. About 10 levels later, those fights were a lot easier.

Anyway, for a random question, is there any guaranteed rare Katana blade cores out there available in Chapter 5? I have no rare Katana dudes and I want to put one on Four because she gets a Smash attack from it (she gets Smash from Wulfric, too, but he's bonded to Nia right now).

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

BabyRyoga posted:

My impression is that they were mostly a waste of time. Weapons that don't rely on positioning and deal non combo statuses like blowdown and knock back deliver a lot more cc overall.

Also blade combos are infinitely more important for damage.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I got annoyed with a certain sidequest's battle the first of the three fights for leveling the Merc group to rank 3 and said gently caress it and finally spent the bonus EXP I've been saving for like 3 chapters. About 10 levels later, those fights were a lot easier.

Anyway, for a random question, is there any guaranteed rare Katana blade cores out there available in Chapter 5? I have no rare Katana dudes and I want to put one on Four because she gets a Smash attack from it (she gets Smash from Wulfric, too, but he's bonded to Nia right now).

Not Chapter 5, but there is one in Chapter 6 you'll come across.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

I also use that party in chapter 8, and I can pretty consistently get Break, Topple, and Launch at the beginning of a fight - make sure you set the Arts in the right slots so they are available right away. Sometimes Five switches afterward and does a Smash right after if their Blades aren't on cooldown.

I wouldn't ignore it since it's free time where the enemy can't attack you and a straight damage multiplier, but it's easier in later chapters as your party becomes more developed.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I have no idea what’s going on, who this red head with the comically huge breasts is, or what to do in combat but I’m loving every minute of it.

Music is dope though.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I have no idea what’s going on

but I’m loving every minute of it.

The proper approach to a Xeno game

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm pretty late in the game and haven't gotten any proper blade sidequests. Do I have to max their trust or something?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caesar Saladin posted:

I'm pretty late in the game and haven't gotten any proper blade sidequests. Do I have to max their trust or something?

It's in their Affinity Charts. There'll be one that'll say something like "Stay at the Inn at X/See their Heart-to-Heart, then go do their sidequest" as its criteria.

Speaking of; Where the hell is Gorg's heart-to-heart?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

This game is so loving long

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
look at these things they’re hilarious

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There will be several “very sad” cutscenes where those grand tetons take up so much of the screen youll be questioning if maybe thats where pyra talks from

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

look at these things they’re hilarious

I don't know if it's more or less hilarious that they're completely static with zero jiggle to them. I'm pretty sure if Pyra turned fast and hit someone with them it'd be like swinging a sledgehammer.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

They never stop being super funny, especially when the game spends so much time zoomed in on her Emerald Core Crystal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't know if it's more or less hilarious that they're completely static with zero jiggle to them. I'm pretty sure if Pyra turned fast and hit someone with them it'd be like swinging a sledgehammer.

I'm not sure what version of the game you got but "completely static" is very much not a word I would use to describe them.