Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

:siren: SIGN UP USING GOOGLE IF YOU WANT TO PLAY, DO NOT USE POKEMON ID IT'S BUGGY AS gently caress :siren:

:siren: CLICK HERE TO BE OUR FRIEND AND GET A FATICATE :siren:

What is Pokémon GO?

Pokémon GO is a Mobile Free2Play Augmented Reality game where you, as a new Pokémon Trainer, walk around IRL and are randomly approached by sprites of Pokémon on your phone. Your goal is ostensibly, as the slogan goes, to "catch 'em all", although you will probably never do so (I have yet to see a wild Onyx). In addition to catching Pokémon, you can also battle against other trainers' Pokémon in Gyms.

How to play

With the above image as basis, let's review the basics.

1) A gym currently controlled by Team Mystic (more on teams later). Teams (more on this later) control gyms with a maximum of 6 Pokémon holding down a gym at a time. Only one Pokémon per breed can be stationed at a gym, which means you're going to see only one Blissey instead of 4! Hey look, there's a Blissey right there! To take control of a gym, you must battle (and defeat) the defending Pokémon using the same strategy used in the main games (water beats fire, ghost beats psychic, etc.). Over time, however, Pokémon will lose their battling power in gyms if they are not regularly fed berries. In addition, there are Raid Battles, but that's for another section. Holding a gym for 10 minutes nets you one Pokécoin, but your rewards can only be cashed out after your Pokémon is kicked out of the gym (and you can only get 50 coins in a single day). You must be Level 5 or higher to fight. Gyms also have the properties of...

2) A PokéStop. Once you get within the radius of the area, you can "spin" or flick the location to get free items, such as Pokéballs and Eggs. You can only spin once every 5 minutes; purple stops mean you've tagged it recently, blue means you haven't, and a halo around the blue stop means you've never been there before (or it's been a long time).

3) A wild Pokémon! Specifically, a Spearow. While roaming, you will get pinged about Pokémon appearing. Tap the Pokémon and point your camera to the horizon. Flick a Pokéball in the direction of the Pokémon, and you can "capture" it. You can miss (so you have to aim), and the Pokémon can break free randomly, just like in the regular series. Wild Pokémon can also jump to evade and attack, so sometimes you need to time out your tosses. Finally, Pokémon can just be assholes and run away.

4) Me. Your avatar will be in the center of the screen at all times and the world will move around you.

5) The heads-up display. Here, you can see a clear shot of your face, your buddy Pokémon, your current level, the progress you've made to the next level, and your name. When you walk, your buddy Pokémon will pick up candy of their species over a set distance. Magikarp will pick up a candy every kiometer, while legendaries take a good 20km.

6) Pokémon nearby. Clicking on this will show you what's nearby and where to find them. Above this is the weather, but this is an old screenshot so it's not on here. Weather can determine what kind of Pokémon you see.

Gyms and PokéStops are based on regional landmarks or noteworthy locations, but can also be sponsored locations. Drink Starbucks!

Once captured, a Pokémon will come with certain stats. CP stands for Combat Points, and is a rough gauge of how strong your Pokemon is. Height and Weight do not appear to do anything, and are simple flavor texts. Pokémon will come with two attacks; a quick attack (not to be confused with the actual move "Quick Attack" - these moves are simply faster) and a charge attack (usually a signature move; i.e. Pidgeot getting Air Cutter or Venonat getting Bug Buzz). HP stands for Hit Points - if your Pokémon's HP reaches zero, it faints and cannot battle anymore until it is revived.

Catching a Pokémon will grant you EXP, Stardust, Species Candies, and (if a new Pokémon) a Pokédex entry. If it's a duplicate, you can "transfer" it to the Professor and gain candies specific to the Pokémon line (so, Pidgey Candies work for Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Pidgeot, but not Spearow.) Stardust and Candies are used to level up your Pokemon swiftly; you gain 100 Stardust for every wild Pokémon captured (more for accurate throws), and when you trade in a Pokémon, you gain 1 candy of that type, in addition to the 3 you got originally. In addition, you may select one Pokémon at a time to be your Buddy, which means that as you walk, you will be given the breed's candy in increments correlated to their egg distance.

Battling is simpler than in the games. You can swipe left/right to dodge attacks, and swipe up to use a quick attack, or charge up a charge attack. The blue bars next to your charge attack build up throughout a battle; each blip means you can use a charge attack once. Some attacks have 5 blips, some only have 1. This varies as the moves can vary within the same species, so it brings variety to the game.

Unique to Pokémon GO, however, is Raid Battles. At Level 20, trainers are allowed to participate in battles against super-powered Pokémon controlled by the game as long as they have a valid Raid Battle Pass. These can be anything from a Magikarp that a 10-year-old could beat by himself to a Ho-Oh that can only be taken down by, like, 20 people working together. Winning gives you items you can only get from Raid Battles (including the chance to re-roll a Pokémon's attack choice), 3000XP, and the chance to capture the Pokémon you just beat (but at a reasonable CP), while losing give you a bit of stardust and some pity. If you're one of those people who can't get enough of Raids, there are EX Raids, where only the rarest Pokémon (such as Mewtwo) show up. EX Raids require an EX Raid pass, which are super-hard to get.

The Teams

source

There are three teams to choose from, each representing the three Legendary Birds (Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres).

Team Mystic (Blue - Led by Blanche)
Team Instinct (Yellow - Led by Spark)
Team Valor (Red - Led by Candela)

Currently, aside from color preference, there is no benefit to picking one over the other. Pick whatever you like! I personally am a member of Team Instinct, and there are hardly any other people in my area who are as well.

Items

Just like in the games, you can acquire a variety of items that do a variety of effects. Most, if not all of these, are straightforward and explain themselves perfectly in the descriptions.

Alright, cut the bullshit. It's F2P, right? What's the catch?

You can purchase Pokécoins in the shop, and these can be used to buy a variety of items. The choice to pay to play is always up to you, but this game does not appear to grant huge bonuses to players that spend a little (XP up is negligible; arguably incubators would be the items of choice).

Pokéballs: 20 for 100 coins, 100 for 460 coins, 200 for 800 coins
Incense (Increased Encounter Rate 30 minutes): 1 for 80 coins, 8 for 500 coins, 25 for 1250 coins
Lucky Egg (Double EXP for 30 minutes):1 for 80 coins, 8 for 500 coins, 25 for 1250 coins
Lure Module (Incense but for Pokéstops, works for all in the area as well): 1 for 100 coins, 8 for 680 coins
Egg Incubator (Hatches eggs, breaks after 3 uses): 1 for 150 coins
Max Revives: 6 for 180 coins
Max Potions: 6 for 180 coins
Premium Raid Pass (Unlimited Raid Battles for a day): 100 coins

Upgrades

+50 Item Storage (Backpack): 200 coins [max capacity: 1,500 items]
+50 Pokemon Storage (Storage Upgrade): 200 coins [max capacity: 2,000 Pokémon]

There are also the occasional Box which has a bunch of items for a discounted cost.

Is there anything else I can spend real-world money on? Preferably, something to take the 'game' out of the game.

http://www.gamestop.com/accessories/pokemon-go-plus/131550

Yes! Pokémon Go Plus is a dongle that comes with Pokécoins and allows you to play without using the smartphone. They are EXTREMELY hard to come by new, so much so that any time the Plus is available for purchase, there is a run and they go out of stock within an hour. As such, it's unlikely I'll ever get one unless I'm lucky/dumb enough. You can also use the Apple Watch app, but there are fewer abilities than the Plus.

Words of Wisdom
  • DO NOT go roaming over private lots or residences looking for Pokéstops, Pokémon, Gyms, etc, unless you have express permission. Horror stories of people sneaking into hospitals, museums, etc all for extra Ingress portals are common, and I'm almost certain police has been called on more than one occasion because some fat nerd was playing with his phone near important private businesses.
  • If you choose to meet up with other people, be a little expedient and prepare. Know where you are, where you're going, and try to stay in a public venue. Don't put yourself in harms way because you were really excited to go catch Muk in a back alley. Already some idiot on reddit nearly got beat to death in the ghetto because he wanted an Oddish or some poo poo, smdh
  • Don't look at your phone when crossing streets or whatever, you'll get hit by a bus. Likewise, don't try to play while driving, you goony idiot, because you will cause an accident.
Random Facts
  • Barring Mew, Smeargle, Delibird, and Celebi, all Pokémon from the first 2 generations are or have been available to catch. I say 'have been' because legendary Pokémon cycle around every month or so, so if you have a chance to do a 5-Bowser raid to catch one, you should do it before they disappear for an undetermined period of time. In addition, 50 Hoenn Pokémon have shown up to catch as well, but that's well short of all 135 Gen 3 species.
  • Hatching eggs requires you to walk a certain distance before they hatch. The game tracks how fast you're moving across space however, so no, you can't drive around and hatch eggs fast. You can, however, leave the game open in traffic or ride a bike and get credit as long as you aren't exceeding ~20 mph. Please, still, do not drive and POGO, however.
  • Shiny Pokémon exist, but very few species have them currently.
  • Pokéstops are attributed to Points of Interest in your area; just like in Ingress.
  • Trading is available, but if you're looking for a regional you might as well start saving up your Stardust now.
  • The "blue glow" around your Pokémon indicates that it was recently caught.
  • The color of the shrinking capture ring indicates how resistant to capture the Pokémon will be. Green is easy, yellow is medium, red/orange is hard.
  • The outer circle indicates the "strike zone" for a capture attempt. The shrinking inner circle will grant bonuses if your Pokéball hits there; the smaller it is, the bigger the bonus.
  • Pokémon in a gym are organized by the order in which they were placed by their owner. Go ahead, put a Pidgey in slot #6 behind a Blissey, Dragonite, Tyranittar, Gyrados, and Ampharos. You'll be glad you did!
  • You cannot put legendary Pokémon in a gym.
  • You can get one free Raid Battle Pass per day by spinning a Gym, but only if you do not currently have a Raid Battle Pass, and also only if you haven't spun a gym that day yet.
  • Are the servers loving up for you? Use http://www.mmoserverstatus.com/pokemon_go to find out if its just you or not.
  • Just like in Every Pokémon Game Ever, Pokémon only heal if you use healing items on them (there are no Pokécenters, because there are no free rides). You can also evolve them or level them up for a free heal.
  • Did an egg hatch and the servers gently caress up, preventing you from seeing what the egg was? Sort your box by recently captured and it'll show you what hatched.
  • Niantic will occasionally do special events during holidays; they're always good times to stock up on candies!
  • If you get kicked out a Raid Battle's waiting room, don't panic - just make sure your phone's clock is set to Automatic so that it can sync with everyone else's time.

Hot Tips n Tricks (courtesy of BrianBoitano)
  • Power level using lucky eggs. Save common Pokémon to evolve them all at once during the 30 minute window. The evolution exp will double, which will be very nice if you also get the Pokédex bonus. Also try to do this when your eggs are at 99% of their required distance. You can get around 50 evolutions in the 30-minute window, so plan accordingly.
  • You can get walking credit on a bike or a slow car. This game uses the GPS only, so you can't fake an up-down pedometer motion. It has worked for me up to ~25 mph. Rafzanote: please still do not drive and play go!
  • Power up before or after evolving, it doesn't matter, but wait until you actually want to fight a gym. No need to spend all your candies on a cp150 if you can just wait a couple days, level up, and get a cp250 to start with.
  • Think you've disconnected because you haven't seen any Pokémon lately? Open the shop. If nothing loads, force quit your game and re-open it. Still nothing? Servers are borked.
  • Don't power up Pokémon until, AT THE EARLIEST, level 10. Your new catches from the wild will almost surely be better than anything you can power up that you caught early. You might be able to power up your early catches, but it will take a ton of candy, which will take away from Lucky egg boosting (see above)
  • Min/maxing. If you want to min/max ultimate value out of your evolves, 1) choose the base Pokémon that's closest to max CP already (the white arc over its head is mostly filled in to the right) and 2) wait until level 20, since you'll likely find much better base Pokémon to upgrade.
  • What the heck are IVs? Individual Values are random stat variances for every Pokémon. In GO, this can be as drastic as a 10% difference between a max IV Pokémon and a min IV Pokémon. These numbers are hidden, like in the main games, and can be determined using a stat-checker (https://thesilphroad.com/research). It takes all of 10 seconds to do and can determine if your 'mon is really good or just meh, but it doesn't make as much difference as in the main games. Also, eggs universally hatch high IV (usually above 75%) 'mon as opposed to catching them (random).
  • Is there any way to ballpark IVs? The Appraise ability gives a pretty rough idea of how good your Pokémon is. Stats (the first thing your team leader grades) are much, MUCH more important than battling ability (the last thing your team leader grades).

Discord

https://discord.gg/GvATQd6 - Admins are Drythe and hopefully other people

You can discuss GO in there, and even plan meetups for your local cities (sorry rural nerds). If your city is not listed, let Drythe know and they'll add it. If cities aren't being used, they will be removed. Please be respectful of other people's privacy and generally exercise common sense, thanks in advance.

Helpful Links

The Silph Road FAQ - Has a lot of information rounded up in a simple, easy to use FAQ.
The Silph Road Reddit - Yeah, reddit sucks, ok, but its a aggregation of information that can be hard to find elsewhere.
The Sliph Road Atlas - Want to know where certain Pokémon nest? Check here to find out where to go!
Niantic Labs Twitter and Pokemon Twitter will most likely be where official updates are posted.
Gym combat mechanics - If you want to be the next Giovanni, you need to know how to battle
Starter's Guide to Pokémon Go
EXP Calculator (courtesy of mirthdefect!) - this is a really good calculator to use when planning how many Pidgey you need to sacrifice for those sweet gains
Pokemon GO Datamined Resource - Collection of information decoded from game files, very good resource 11/10
Moves by max DPS - Useful for finding out what the best DPS combination for your Pokémon is.
Move Database - Useful for finding out what moves your Pokémon can learn.

Helpful Apps for determining IV that won't softban you

PokéGenie (iOS)
Calcy IV (Android)

If there's anything that needs to be put in the OP, post in the thread or shoot me a PM. :wooper:

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It's me. I'm the loser that still plays this.

Or I would be, if I could log in...

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
My new Gen 3 catches so far are Treecko, Torchic, Poochyena, and Seedot. That is all.

Fake edit: Oh, and Torchic's attack animation is freaking adorable.

Das Doppelganger
Dec 22, 2012
So...........seems like we got a nest rotation with the new pokemon release.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

It's been about a year since I've been so excited to catch such utter garbage.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

So, 0 degrees Celsius, almost no wind, and no rain or anything in this part of Norway.

Extreme my rear end.

At least I got a Poochyena and a Gulpin.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So uh either the weather is doing fucky things to the CPs of pokemon in my box, or I captured a Level 35 Vulpix and I'm level 30.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

So uh either the weather is doing fucky things to the CPs of pokemon in my box, or I captured a Level 35 Vulpix and I'm level 30.
Yeah you catch higher level and IV'd pokemon in the weather. In addition you can catch raid bosses at 5 levels higher during their equivalent weather.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ugh. I couldn't get in because my stupid phone decided to turn off my WiFi.

Anyway, here's a Weather Chart for the OP.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
And Extreme weather, just trash apparently. I pulled an incense just to see, and all I got was pidgeys and zubats.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Absol (tier 4) and Mawile (tier 2) are new raid bosses. People have been getting shinies from them.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
My weather screen gives a weather warning, but at the same time it's 'butty' (in reality it's snowing).

I'm quite happy with my Butty bonuses. That's the default weather here in the Netherlands so I guess I'll be seeing them a lot (though I don't know what the threshold for windy is, we get that a lot too). Poison is good because it's common and good for farming stardust, and Fighting is great because it'll help in beating up Blisseys and Chanseys with my Machamp (and maybe Breloom), which is most of the gym game. Koffing is pretty common with the poison bonus while it used to be ultra rare.

Also, my two first catches were pretty lucky I think, Breloom and Seviper, and there was almost no common trash to be found here! Later I got Roselia and Minun which seem to be common here, and Wurmple and Ralts which I saw once.

edit: Welp, it just changed from cloudy to windy. I guess boosted Dragonites are useful too...

Entropist fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 9, 2017

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
This weather update is the best update yet. Holy crap I'm getting some great monsters.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
The first time I logged in it was raining and I caught a high level Minun in my bedroom. A+ update so far

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Having walked around with Bingles in an area just north of downtown San Diego called bankers hill, I can say that not only is the severe weather warning overstated, but the spawns were turned way down as the game had implied.

Plenty of raids though. They’re completely unaffected by weather.

Oh yeah, got a seedot and the dog looking hyena thing, and that one spiked caterpillar, but like I and many others have said, the severe weather warning thing is utter bullshit.

Solvent fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 9, 2017

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm glad they didn't go nuts with the Gen 3 spawns like they did with gen 2 and the Hoenn ghosts

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Away all Goats posted:

I'm glad they didn't go nuts with the Gen 3 spawns like they did with gen 2 and the Hoenn ghosts

yeah it's great I've gotten three total gen3 spawns in 5 hours
????
????????????

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Try leaving your room

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
2 1/2 hours of walking around playing Pokémon, and we caught 3 of the new ones in the severe weather bs. I guess that’s ok?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Have they confirmed any region specific gen3s?

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I just went for a 1/2 hour walk, and caught a bunch of new 'mons. Also caught some rare ones (for me) that seemed to spawn thanks to the weather.

Good update so far.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

seiferguy posted:

Have they confirmed any region specific gen3s?

I don't think we need any more region specific Pokémon. Every continent has a special one....unless they want to put one in Antarctica.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
^^ cool, I really don't want to be locked out of a region specific thing again.

Also, I went on a walk and caught 5 rhyhorns that all benefitted from the clear weather. Good update.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

seiferguy posted:

^^ cool, I really don't want to be locked out of a region specific thing again.

Also, I went on a walk and caught 5 rhyhorns that all benefitted from the clear weather. Good update.

It does look like Plusle and Minun are spawning in different places now, here in Europe it's all Minun and US is apparently all Plusle. But it's not yet clear why this is, it could be a day/night thing at this point or anything else.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Plusle, Minun, Zangoose and Seviper are speculated to be regionals.

Got some rare Gen 1 and 2 stuff spawning cause of the weather, boy this system would've been nice a year ago.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I caught a Spoink today and he's the cutest Toby ever

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I never understood the meme before, but it turns out that yes, I do like mudkips

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
The OP says that a premium raid pass gives unlimited raids for 24 hours. Might need to fix that.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Entropist posted:

It does look like Plusle and Minun are spawning in different places now, here in Europe it's all Minun and US is apparently all Plusle. But it's not yet clear why this is, it could be a day/night thing at this point or anything else.

Aw man, why do the smelly Europeans get the cool blue pichu :(

The New York Times
Mar 2, 2013

Call
1-800-NYTIMES for FREE home delivery
Lmaoing at everyone mad at this

But still mad about them scaling back for bad weather.

Ok I know it’s not perfect now but still

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So tell me about this sloth beast. How loving high does that CP go? Is he Snorlax on Viagra and how do you gently caress him back?

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Cowslips Warren posted:

So tell me about this sloth beast. How loving high does that CP go? Is he Snorlax on Viagra and how do you gently caress him back?

In the main series, while Slaking has stats to rival most legendaries he's saddled with the ability Truant meaning he can only use moves every other turn. I'm assuming that to emulate this he exclusively has the new Yawn quick attack which will be terribly slow for building any charge with. Hope you're good at dodging!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Cowslips Warren posted:

I THINK Slaking’s quick attack is like Splash, and does no damage.

The New York Times
Mar 2, 2013

Call
1-800-NYTIMES for FREE home delivery
Seriously though which ones should I give a poo poo about? I gave up on levelling at 36, I have like 16 lucky eggs left but not enough fucks to give to do that crap again. I’ll play enough to get the good ones if I see em.

Chairman Mao
Apr 24, 2004

The Chinese Communist Party is the core of leadership of the whole Chinese people. Without this core, the cause of socialism cannot be victorious.

Cowslips Warren posted:

More like Blissey on opiates, useless as anything but a damage sponge in its current state. Your Machamp is gonna be busier than ever.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Is there a list of which gen 3 pokemon are known to be available and which ones haven't been seen yet? They said something like 50 would be found in the wild at first.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

The New York Times posted:

Lmaoing at everyone mad at this

But still mad about them scaling back for bad weather.

Ok I know it’s not perfect now but still

No loving joke! It was really pleasant outside.
Granted there were terrible fires about 50 miles away, but was so still and warm it wasn't even sweater weather.
As in I had to take mine off. It's like 80 in December in San Diego.

E: To add, yes, I know it's just a game, Bingles was really excited about catching Pokemon on her one day off in two weeks.

So it was less than optimal, but still fun.

Solvent fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 9, 2017

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Can confirm Gyarados can get waterfall as a fast type move. Just used a fast TM. Say hello to the best water type in the game.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Pomplamoose posted:

Is there a list of which gen 3 pokemon are known to be available and which ones haven't been seen yet? They said something like 50 would be found in the wild at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Weather seems a little buggy.

I've had different weather on different phones, and also cloudy weather when the raining animation is playing.

• Locked thread