Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Waltzing Along posted:

How could seasons be getting more well rounded if the last two are the worst?

Also, was anyone wondering if they were going to go so far as to have Heidi gently caress all the boys at the end of the episode in order to ward off Garrison with icky straight sex?

This is all I can say to... that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_r-fur3Zr0&t=126s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'm guessing this episode makes a lot more sense if you've seen It and/or Stranger Things. I vaguely get the It references but not the Stranger Things ones.

Up to and including the “I remember this” scene, it was all It references. I was honestly surprised when they mentioned Stranger Things before It, but once they said something about It right after, I got it. The whole “I saw it too” part of that scene was straight out of It, as was the red MAGA balloon and Garrisons facial expressions/whole characterization during the episode. As said before, the only thing Stranger Things about the episode was the music joke and the group of kids banding together against evil, which is also the plot of It.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Haha his nose is a penis.

The only reason I saw that movie back in the day was because of Digital Underground, and whoo boy that movie is bad.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Waltzing Along posted:

To be fair, only one of those three songs was a real song.

Super Bowl Shuffle and Pac Man Fever were both novelty/gimmick songs. They aren't truly representative of 80s music.

Gloria was a big hit, though.

Gimmick songs are as representative as anything, sadly.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

empty baggie posted:

Haha his nose is a penis.

Yikes, sorry about your penis.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
This season had several episode concepts that would have been great if the entire episode was devoted to them. Like Nathan and Mimsy's science fair plot, which was hijacked by, of course, Cartman and Heidi. Or PC Principal dating Strong Woman and everyone being inexplicably disgusted by it. Instead they remained committed to serialization so most of the episode plots that would have been great as standalone episodes end up cut up and dispersed throughout the series or have no real conclusion. Cartman and Heidi dragged everything down more than the other tangents, and then was apparently reset at the end which made the entire season a whole lot of nothing.

It's frustrating to know Matt and Trey are still more than capable of making a fantastic season if they really tried, but I don't think we will ever get that again and they will probably "phone it in" until it finally is done. To be fair, I still laughed enough to justify watching the episodes, but unlike South Park of old, I have no desire to watch any of these episodes again (same for last season).

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I didn't think the episode was bad, but I do think Stick of Truth makes for a better Stranger Things parody than it did, and that game came out well before Stranger Things.

Speaking of, is it ever explained in Stick of Truth what the green goo really is? That gnome dies just before he's about to say it so I first hoped it would be revealed later, but now having beaten the game I figure the joke is that you never find out.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's gnome cum

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Waltzing Along posted:

I thought it was more taking things to a huge extreme for a situation that people usually don't really care about very much.
It's basically what Randy's like in every Randy episode, but projected onto all the other adult characters.

I think it would've been funnier if everyone was horrified and disgusted by PC Principal and Strong Woman together, but still found Mackey and Miss Conduct falling for each other adorable and charming. The contrast would've made for an interesting statement about social dynamics, where two cutesy innocent people are acceptable but two domineering preachy people together are horrifying.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Bust Rodd posted:

As utterly hosed up and gross as it would have been, I’d have appreciated a scene where Heidi has to make out with all the boys a la’ IT and Cartman goes first but then she goes to the other boys and the season ends with Cartman just looking on in horror as all his friends get to smooch his lady

I just want more more Cartmanland level “Cartman getting owned” episode

Except they were referencing the movie and shows, not the book It and the audience wouldn't have realized it was a direct reference to the book since shockingly most people haven't read it. Most of the audience would have been super confused.

Heidi's monologue at the end was what made sense for her character, not making out with Stan in front of Cartman for whatever contrived reason they'd have to think of.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

evilmiera posted:

See? This guy gets it.

I mean I didn't see the last episodes, but the fact this wasn't really building up to anything bums me out.

It feels like the end of last season where you hoped Gerald would get some comeuppance for being an overgrown child obsessed with trolling to the point where he threw his own kids under the bus claiming they were doing it, only to have it "paid off" by Gerald getting off scot-free and telling the kids "Good job, boys!".

There has to be a lasting "At least that went somewhere" feeling at the end. Gerald getting the wrath of Sheila and, twisted as it sounds, Cartman killing himself (or severely wounding so he lives next season) would've done that (I figured it'd be Heidi because they could write her off and keep going). The payoff described above for Gerald and Heidi breaking up with Cartman and Cartman ready to off himself, only for the crowd to be distracted feels like a waste.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

This season had several episode concepts that would have been great if the entire episode was devoted to them. Like Nathan and Mimsy's science fair plot, which was hijacked by, of course, Cartman and Heidi. Or PC Principal dating Strong Woman and everyone being inexplicably disgusted by it. Instead they remained committed to serialization so most of the episode plots that would have been great as standalone episodes end up cut up and dispersed throughout the series or have no real conclusion. Cartman and Heidi dragged everything down more than the other tangents, and then was apparently reset at the end which made the entire season a whole lot of nothing.

It's frustrating to know Matt and Trey are still more than capable of making a fantastic season if they really tried, but I don't think we will ever get that again and they will probably "phone it in" until it finally is done. To be fair, I still laughed enough to justify watching the episodes, but unlike South Park of old, I have no desire to watch any of these episodes again (same for last season).

I felt like the horror at PC Principal and Strong Woman getting caught together was an attempt at a commentary on Congressmen/Senators/celebrities using their influence to take advantage of women and silence it ("You...you have authority over her! (vomits)"). Or am I doing "reading into South Park episodes" wrong?

Either way, I haven't reached levels of apathy about this show yet like I finally did with Archer this season.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I find it hilarious people are talking about ow much better something would have been if a child committed suicide.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Can any computer wizards in here make a GIF of Ike in his serious mountie clothes riding the dog?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Solice Kirsk posted:

I find it hilarious people are talking about ow much better something would have been if a child committed suicide.

To be completely fair Cartman is much less a child and much more an embodiment of petty malice, stupidity, selfishness and spitefulness. The show would have been much better if he was portrayed as the president. That said killing him would have been a little much.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
To be fair it's South Park

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If you think Cartman should kill himself it's time for you to stop watching. You are the sort of person who prefers Van Hagar to Van Halen. Idiots.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Milo and POTUS posted:

To be completely fair Cartman is much less a child and much more an embodiment of petty malice, stupidity, selfishness and spitefulness. The show would have been much better if he was portrayed as the president. That said killing him would have been a little much.

One of my favorite South Park moments is the mayor shooting herself in the head (I think it was in Die Hippie Die?) and then appearing later with a large bandage over it.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Solice Kirsk posted:

I find it hilarious anyone would say that about fictional characters, cartoons no less.

And have you played video games lately? You can shoot people! It's awful!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I said on the last page that this season was as bad as Family Guy. I just caught the latest season of Family Guy. I take it back, Family Guy is worse. But this season still sucked. Lol at those saying this wasn't the worst season of the show like it's some badge of pride.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Murmur Twin posted:

One of my favorite South Park moments is the mayor shooting herself in the head (I think it was in Die Hippie Die?) and then appearing later with a large bandage over it.

Yeah, stuff like that used to own lol.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Well it's not. Last season was the worst. This was second worst. Still better than any season of Family Guy, but that's not a bar. It's a pile of poo poo that you try to avoid while running in the rain.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Solice Kirsk posted:

You remember when this show killed an eight year old boy in the pilot, then brought him back nearly weekly and killed him again in a variety of new and creative ways repeatedly for six seasons and it became a running gag everybody loved? I think it even had a quotable catchphrase. The bastards.

Then he died for good, except he came back again for good at the end of one season. Except when they killed him off again from time to time.

e- Point is, it's South Park. If they'd gone that route, they could've just reset at the start of the next season by either pretending it never happened or:

Murmur Twin posted:

...doing something to play it off or (shudders) continue the continuity they've had the last couple seasons.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 9, 2017

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
They should've had Cartman kill himself, then retcon it by having Heidi just change her sex and start dressing like Cartman. Then Heidi is Cartman in every respect except they call him Turner instead of Cartman.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

Except they were referencing the movie and shows, not the book It and the audience wouldn't have realized it was a direct reference to the book since shockingly most people haven't read it. Most of the audience would have been super confused.

References to the child orgy are, like, the most common joke about It, because it's really loving weird that King did that and still managed to become a mainstream figure. I don't think most people making those jokes have read the book, because you don't need to read the book to know how weird it is.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Waltzing Along posted:

If you think Cartman should kill himself it's time for you to stop watching. You are the sort of person who prefers Van Hagar to Van Halen. Idiots.

i think he should have, because Cartman in Hell sounds like a legit good serialized thread for the next season to have (since we're apparently doing this now), and Heidi could basically fill in Cartman's spot in the gang pretty easily now.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i think he should have, because Cartman in Hell sounds like a legit good serialized thread for the next season to have (since we're apparently doing this now), and Heidi could basically fill in Cartman's spot in the gang pretty easily now.

You could have him in the hospital hallucinating and thinking he's in hell, but really he's in Ensenada, Mexico. He then wakes up and realizes he wasn't.

As lovely as that sounds, it's really a call back to a good episode that Matt and Trey would find a way to stretch into a miserable plot for an entire season just like Archer did when I gave up on it after two episodes this season.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

ChesterJT posted:

I find it hilarious anyone would say that about fictional characters, cartoons no less.

And have you played video games lately? You can shoot people! It's awful!

Hey man did you see these apples? They're exactly the same as these oranges!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

21 Muns posted:

References to the child orgy are, like, the most common joke about It, because it's really loving weird that King did that and still managed to become a mainstream figure. I don't think most people making those jokes have read the book, because you don't need to read the book to know how weird it is.

I mean, you say that, but then there are a million articles that come out every time It shows up in pop culture that amount to, "Oh, by the way, did you guys know the book has this weird child orgy in it?" and every time I bring it up in conversation with fans of the movie or miniseries, people go, "Wait there's a loving child orgy in it?" I'm actually hard pressed to think of a reference or parody of the child orgy in mainstream media. Because it's loving weird and creepy and best left forgotten.

Again, in the context of South Park and the South Park characters, why would it thematically make sense to include a child orgy or a bunch of people making out with Cartman's girlfriend or whatever interpretation you wanted to go with? It seems like including that is for the sole purpose of the audience to go, "Yes, I'm aware of this slightly obscure thing and know what the show is referencing, aren't I clever?" Or maybe you're just desperate to work the loving cuck meme into literally every piece of media that exists?

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

I mean, you say that, but then there are a million articles that come out every time It shows up in pop culture that amount to, "Oh, by the way, did you guys know the book has this weird child orgy in it?" and every time I bring it up in conversation with fans of the movie or miniseries, people go, "Wait there's a loving child orgy in it?" I'm actually hard pressed to think of a reference or parody of the child orgy in mainstream media. Because it's loving weird and creepy and best left forgotten.

Again, in the context of South Park and the South Park characters, why would it thematically make sense to include a child orgy or a bunch of people making out with Cartman's girlfriend or whatever interpretation you wanted to go with? It seems like including that is for the sole purpose of the audience to go, "Yes, I'm aware of this slightly obscure thing and know what the show is referencing, aren't I clever?" Or maybe you're just desperate to work the loving cuck meme into literally every piece of media that exists?

I'm indifferent to Bust Rodd's specific suggestion, but the child orgy is definitely the South Parkiest direction to go with an It parody, and the idea that it's beyond the pale for South Park probably says something about how the show's lost its edge.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

21 Muns posted:

I'm indifferent to Bust Rodd's specific suggestion, but the child orgy is definitely the South Parkiest direction to go with an It parody, and the idea that it's beyond the pale for South Park probably says something about how the show's lost its edge.

I mean, we're talking about a child sex orgy or children cucking Cartman. It's less that it's in bad taste and more that's it's a weird sexual fetish with children. It doesn't really belong on TV in any capacity.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Because it is South Park and when it was great they didn't give two shits what was tasteful or not. They had a kid trick another kid into eating his parents. They showed the parents getting dead. They showed the kid eating the parents. They didn't show Cartman butchering the parents but he explicitly said that he did it. A reference to a child orgy is nothing compared to that.

There was an episode where Ike was loving his teacher. Niiiice.

I'm not saying it would or wouldn't have been funny. But I did wonder if they were going to go there.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Cartman got a good deal on semen from a guy named Rob in the alley. The stupid rear end in a top hat didn't even charge him for it, he just told him to close his eyes and suck it from a hose.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Mitch Connor also gives ben affleck a hummer

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
And if you want to get into orgies, all the men in south park go on a gently caress fest in order to kill off the goobacks.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Then there was that time when Kyle shared his first kiss with a repressed home schooled girl which turned her into a raging slut who started spanking and kissing random boys at the school dance.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
You guys are going to great lengths trying to justify why you think it would be cool and good to show a child sex orgy on television.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Atlas Hugged posted:

You guys are going to great lengths trying to justify why you think it would be cool and good to show a child sex orgy on television.

...not really? You just seem to think South Park is actually above doing that, and people are pointing out that they're absolutely the gently caress not above doing that and have done similar jokes and worse in the past.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Actually I suggested they just smooch but you took it there in your creepy derail.

Also there was the episode where Kenny climbed into the bus driver’s vagina for a reality TV show

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I guess it just feels like Matt and Trey, ironically enough, lost the plot as it were when they made the move to regular serialization. At first it was cool, but three seasons later and now it's like a completely different show, something that lacks the punch it once had save for episodes like where Grandpa Marsh beat the old bag bloody. It could pass for some satirical internet thing reskinned with a bunch of Deviantart South Park OCs, but this current direction is a completely opposite direction from what made this show memorable. I remember a year ago some people said they would have been shocked if Heidi actually jumped off a bridge. On a show like this, where Kenny died from increasingly violent deaths every episode?

^^^Let's not forget that time when Wendy dared Stan to shove a stick up his peehole. Or Cartman conjured a second Kyle to actually suck his balls for real in Imaginationland and everyone laughed.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Anyone think the show would be better if Matt and Trey left?

• Locked thread