Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pollyanna posted:

I’m still in the tutorial??????? :psyduck:

there is still a fair amount of combat stuff you haven't been introduced to even

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Lol getting your chars the ability to cancel one art into another turns your party into a murder train and it owns

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Axel Serenity posted:

Lol getting your chars the ability to cancel one art into another turns your party into a murder train and it owns

Everyone beeline this asap because it's so powerful

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've spent like 5 hours doing random side quests in ch 4 because I like walking around everywhere and talking to people

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Axel Serenity posted:

It’s great.

Also overkilling enemies for bigger rewards is cool.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't think I've even fought an enemy in like 2 hours of game time

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Suaimhneas posted:

This is the worst possible advice for someone wanting to finish the game quickly. Don't use Sharla unless you're fighting something hard enough to actually need the healing, on 99% of fights her presence just makes things take longer for no reason.

If you really want to kill big things quickly use Riki and Melia, build them for maximum damage on their "damage over time" abilities, and use those during chain attacks. Controlling Melia makes long chain attacks easier, because she can use the middle art on her bar up to three times if she has three elementals summoned, and because it's colourless it can link different coloured arts without breaking the combo. Combine this with the fact that DoTs douple-dip on the combo bonus*, and you can melt bosses' health bars in seconds.

Melia can also do bonkers damage by herself if you gem her for bonus electric damage and discharge three electric elements in a row, but if the enemy survives it will be very angry at her and she will die before anyone else can get its attention again

* (The damage per tick on a DoT is calculated as a percentage of the damage done by the initial hit. During a chain attack, the chain bonus is applied to the initial hit, and then also applied to the DoT portion after that, resulting in a bonus of up to 49 times the normal damage)

Thanks for this, running around on Mechonis melting everything in sight.

I haven't really had a chance to do rolling chain dots yet, haven't fought anything tough enough for it :v:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Burst those fuckin orbs

Axel Serenity posted:

Can the AI party members even use that?

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
some quest sends me off to find dead imperial soldiers and then ends with a level 90 dinosaur. The rewards don't seem to match...the difficulty, is there a trick to it or am i expected to beat it.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

look at these things they’re hilarious

It's worse when there's action in a cutscene and you try to screenshot it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I want a zeke spin off

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

In Training posted:

Everyone beeline this asap because it's so powerful

How do I get this

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Okay, how the hell do I get to the underground treasure for The Riddle on the Wall? I've searched half of Gormott's Upper-Right side trying to find a way to it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I need help, I think I softlocked myself in the goofiest way.

Chapter 7: I'm fighting these phantams and they can't kill me, and they won't stop respawning. I have the controller down as I type this and I don't know what the gently caress.

The noise my tv is making is suffering

Edit: Lmao shortly after posting it "fixed" itself was I supposed to just kill literally a million of them?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I need help, I think I softlocked myself in the goofiest way.

Chapter 7: I'm fighting these phantams and they can't kill me, and they won't stop respawning. I have the controller down as I type this and I don't know what the gently caress.

The noise my tv is making is suffering

At about 1/3rd health, they split in two. Individually tap them down to about 1/2-1/3rd health, then nuke them all together with a Chain Attack. And yes, it's a lovely gimmick fight.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Neddy Seagoon posted:

At about 1/3rd health, they split in two. Individually tap them down to about 1/2-1/3rd health, then nuke them all together with a Chain Attack. And yes, it's a lovely gimmick fight.

Yeah, I guess my party just sorted that out for me. Saw one of the last guys getting ready to split so just hit start and cut him off. The last one standing just died to AOE so w/e

The cutscene after that (chapter 7) was a loving ride though. Massive spoilers; I am literally a million times more engaged now that Rex ate Shulks Monado. My first thought though is "did shulk turn his sword into a anime woman to date it."

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Snow area has some excellent music.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Just finished it

What a fuckin game

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I just picked up a switch for this game, but I can't play till tomorrow :(

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Snow area has some excellent music.

The OST for this game is probably the best game soundtrack in many years. So much variety, and no less than 10 killer tracks. The first game had a great OST, but this one has an excellent one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah, I guess my party just sorted that out for me. Saw one of the last guys getting ready to split so just hit start and cut him off. The last one standing just died to AOE so w/e

The cutscene after that (chapter 7) was a loving ride though. Massive spoilers; I am literally a million times more engaged now that Rex ate Shulks Monado. My first thought though is "did shulk turn his sword into a anime woman to date it."

Not quite right. The point of the True Sword vanishing was that it was never there to begin with. What Rex needed to realize, with a bit of help from Addam's memory/phantasm thing, was to get Pyra and Mythra to stop being afraid of their own true power.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

BabyRyoga posted:

The OST for this game is probably the best game soundtrack in many years. So much variety, and no less than 10 killer tracks. The first game had a great OST, but this one has an excellent one.

The Chrono Cross leitmotif usage doesn't hurt either

Mitsuda owns and is the best

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I dislike the trust system, the ones with unique unlock reqs are fine and fun but the ones where you have to build up the numbers is just annoying late game I have like a dozen rares I want to try out but the grind to build the trust is not worth it. I know you can spam food but it's still slow and super boring.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I think I’m doing something wrong with deeds - I have five star development in all but one province, have completed all pink merc missions for those five star devs, and bought one of each item from every shop, but only one or two per city are offering me their deed.

What else do I need to do? In Argentum for example, I’ve scoured the whole area and done basically everything, but still only have the deeds from the bread and fish shops.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

socialsecurity posted:

I dislike the trust system, the ones with unique unlock reqs are fine and fun but the ones where you have to build up the numbers is just annoying late game I have like a dozen rares I want to try out but the grind to build the trust is not worth it. I know you can spam food but it's still slow and super boring.

Send them on Merc jobs.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Are those passive bonuses on a blade's affinity chart only active while that blade is out in combat?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Send them on Merc jobs.

Merc jobs give like 40 to 50 when you need thousands. That works well on the generics but I've got some rares I've been sending on missions for like 20 hours and barely have hit tier 3

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I decided to do some more side quests and fill out some affinity charts and full art recharge on crit loving rules

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I dunno if anyone knows the answer to this but I'm going to ask anyway.
I'd been only using rare cores if I can spend four boosters at least on it, because the times I've done it I've had rare blades. But I don't know now if that was just a coincidence or not.

Does getting up your truth, justice and etc just change the chances of certain elements and that's it? Or are certain rare blades (eg: Perun, which loads of people seem to get) increased chances because they're Ice and there aren't generic ones with Ice?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I more or less just started this tonight, and Pyra is cool and strong and my friend and I hope she still gets to at least cutscene fight later on.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Dec 9, 2017

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

chumbler posted:

I more or less just started this tonight, and Pyra is cool and strong and my friend and I hope she still gets to at least cutscene fight later on.

How are you at a point where you have met Pyra but not seen her cutscene fighting?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Here's a dumb list of names and terms that vary in difference between the English localization and Japanese. At least the ones I can remember off the top of my head from listening to the Japanese voice acting.

Rex
Tora
Nia
Zeke
Vandhan
Morag - Melef
Brighid - Kagutsuchi
Jin - Shin
Malos - Metsu (ruin)
Azurda - Seiryuu
Pyra - Homura (blaze)
Mythra - Hikari (light)
Dromarch - Byakko
Poppi - Hana
Roc - Suzaku
Pandoria - Saika (calamity)
Bana - Vahn
Addam - Addel
Amalthus - Malveyni
Akhos - Yoshitsune
Patroka - Benkei
Mikhail - Satahiko
Haze - Kasumi
Aegaeon - Wadatsumi (shinto equivalent of poseidon)

Argentum - Avaritia
Torna - illa
Indol - Arcadia
Gormott - Gura
Uraya - Invidia
Mor Ardain - Superbia
Tantal - Luxuria

Aegis - "Grail of the Heavens"
Artifice - Device
Flesh Eater - Man Eater

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BabyRyoga posted:

Here's a dumb list of names and terms that vary in difference between the English localization and Japanese. At least the ones I can remember off the top of my head from listening to the Japanese voice acting.

Rex
Tora
Nia
Zeke
Vandhan
Morag - Melef
Brighid - Kagutsuchi
Jin - Shin
Malos - Metsu (ruin)
Azurda - Seiryuu
Pyra - Homura (blaze)
Mythra - Hikari (light)
Dromarch - Byakko
Poppi - Hana
Roc - Suzaku
Pandoria - Saika (calamity)
Bana - Vahn
Addam - Addel
Amalthus - Malveyni
Akhos - Yoshitsune
Patroka - Benkei
Mikhail - Satahiko
Haze - Kasumi
Aegaeon - Wadatsumi (shinto equivalent of poseidon)

Argentum - Avaritia
Torna - illa
Indol - Arcadia
Gormott - Gura
Uraya - Invidia
Mor Ardain - Superbia
Tantal - Luxuria

Aegis - "Grail of the Heavens"
Artifice - Device
Flesh Eater - Man Eater

They're all pretty solid localization changes really. The only thing that kinda gets lost is the Chinese Four Symbols motif with the party, and it's not exactly something beyond a general reference.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Seriously what is the point of jin shin change

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anyone know the requirements for the "Certain Weather" in Temperantia to get the Hammershead?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
(endgame spoilers) I like how consistent the driver/blade thing is with XB1, with Alvis possibly being the third aegis and the compatibility tests to wield the Monado. it just makes dunban even more badass in retrospect, considering the effects of not being compatible with a blade.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Tae posted:

Seriously what is the point of jin shin change

Shin and his Torna buddies Kneecap and Tibia

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Finally got the 4th party member, used five rare cores and got three generics followed by Godfrey and Electra :smuggo:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm up to about 70 common core crystals and 25 rare crystals on the fifth party member without a rare blade.

This is getting quite dumb.

edit: I opened a common on Nia by accident and got Gorg from it. This game is just loving with me at this point.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The only Legendary I ever opened so far on ch.9 was a common. There are definitely some issues with the system.