Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like the rare blades get rarer as you keep getting them. At first 20 common cores got me 3-4 rare blades, now I go through 40 and I'm lucky if I get one.

Is there a way to farm legendary cores?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I just beat a boss in Ch 4 and then the screen faded to black and put me back outside the arena like I failed it.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

nerdz posted:

I feel like the rare blades get rarer as you keep getting them. At first 20 common cores got me 3-4 rare blades, now I go through 40 and I'm lucky if I get one.

Finish a driver combo on level 100+ mobs apparently

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Hello this is a mad at videogames post.

I’m real mad at chapter 4 the abandoned factory. I spent over two hours running around the same stupid rooms trying to figure out how to open the giant door. I think (dear god) I finally found the room with the button in it but the enemies inside keep killing me and then it spawns me so far away. And I can’t just beeline for it because the dumb aggroed enemies stay aggroed even when I’m on the third floor and they’re on the first. So sick of this stupid area, and only having two party members for plot reasons.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I was overleveled for that part of the game and enemies didn't even aggro if I rubbed against them. I'm kinda thankful after all these horror stories :v:.

Also I enjoy playing Tiger Tiger but I'm not really seeing much of a boon from it. I'm getting ether crystals and whatnot so it feels like progress in that regard but I'm pulling up a million chips I'm never going to use and I can't tell if the loot is actually improving all that much or not. I heard this is the only way to get the tech manuals for Poppi but I haven't pulled up a single one yet and I've played a lot of this dumb minigame.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I mean, on the bright side, you can torch those extra parts for Poppi for more ether. Most of it's not a great deal, but it's part of your reward pool, anyway.

Took a bit of doing, but I got Sheba and Vale on the 5th character, so that should be fun. Vale makes Pyra's jiggle physics look downright reasonable.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
"Maybe we won't die after all."
"I like you're attitude!|

:confused:

Pollyanna posted:

I’m still in the tutorial??????? :psyduck:

Wait until you realize that they were withholding the key to activating the status chain for twenty straight hours of gameplay.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I was overleveled for that part of the game and enemies didn't even aggro if I rubbed against them. I'm kinda thankful after all these horror stories :v:.

:same:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The entire game is a tutorial

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

triple cuck posted:

Just finished it

What a fuckin game

I just started it. Without getting too specific, how's the post-game content?

I often tend to lose interest once plot wears out but I'm hoping there are compelling reasons to keep playing. More quests or somethin'.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

How are you at a point where you have met Pyra but not seen her cutscene fighting?

I meant continues to, sorry.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Well, at least I got chain attacks before I got overdrive in X. Cancelling autoattacks is a bit more tricky when you’re playing in portable mode with the sound off. Had to zoom in lol

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

nerdz posted:

You can refight unique monsters over and over and according to that dev interview doing a full launch combo on the high level ones is a good way to get legendary cores.

...but I'm not there yet myself and I bet it isn't really in terms of cores per time

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Bass Bottles posted:

Hello this is a mad at videogames post.

I’m real mad at chapter 4 the abandoned factory. I spent over two hours running around the same stupid rooms trying to figure out how to open the giant door. I think (dear god) I finally found the room with the button in it but the enemies inside keep killing me and then it spawns me so far away. And I can’t just beeline for it because the dumb aggroed enemies stay aggroed even when I’m on the third floor and they’re on the first. So sick of this stupid area, and only having two party members for plot reasons.

Put a tank blade on whomever you control, made my life easier

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

The Factory was loving awful, but at least what comes after it is pretty alright.

I legit can’t believe someone play tested that part and thought it was good, though.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I apparently have to make a shitload of dumplings to get Fortitude levels. Can I uh... buy those materials? or fast travel gathering cheese them?

edit: oh, no I don't, rofl, I just misread where my cursor was

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 9, 2017

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

TurnipFritter posted:

Cancelling auto-attacks with Four's default blade seems almost impossible.

I don't know if you already got an answer to this, but Four's attack string is a lot like Rex's attack string with the knuckles where it looks like 5-6 different attacks but is actually only 3 distinct pieces. The proper cancel timings for Four's string is after the second downward slash, the after she does the poke into sideways arm spread thing, then after the final upward slash.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm in chapter 3 and fighting a huge nerd. How long is this game gonna pull this "win a boss fight, lose the cut scene" horseshit? I just got off Cold Steel 2 I don't need this crap.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Caidin posted:

I'm in chapter 3 and fighting a huge nerd. How long is this game gonna pull this "win a boss fight, lose the cut scene" horseshit? I just got off Cold Steel 2 I don't need this crap.

I have bad news

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I don't know if I'm glad I saved the beastly core for the 5th party member or sorry I waited so long to open it. That blade is amazing (Earth/attack, if anyone is wondering).

Caidin posted:

I just fought a boss and the cutscene showed me actually beating them. I thought "finally!" and then another guy came and kicked my rear end in a cutscene.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Hammer Bro. posted:

I just started it. Without getting too specific, how's the post-game content?

Eh it's good for a few more hours of gameplay but so far it seems to be all about finding and killing level 100+ dudes. Waiting to see what the DLC brings because there's a few obvious loose story ends like wtf happened to Addam that they're likely saving for it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I had 0 issues with the factory level. The door closes and then theres a cutscene where they pan to a guy standing in front of a control panel with a clear shot of the path you need to follow to find him. And that happens twice and thats the whole dungeon

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

In Training posted:

I had 0 issues with the factory level. The door closes and then theres a cutscene where they pan to a guy standing in front of a control panel with a clear shot of the path you need to follow to find him. And that happens twice and thats the whole dungeon

Yup. I spent the whole time going, “this is it? This is what people are complaining about?”, expecting everything to go to hell at any time. I died a couple times to the control room head muckety muck, but that’s it.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

It wasn't bad, but I can see people being disoriented by it because of how straight forward every area in the game had been up to that point.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Caidin posted:

It's the worst part of the game. Bad UI aside stop making it seem like I've lost fights when I thrashed the person. It's just bad game design.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

In Training posted:

I remembered that cutscene but I took a break after watching it I guess and completely lost track of wherever I was supposed to go. AFAIK there’s no way to re-trigger it.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They're all pretty solid localization changes really. The only thing that kinda gets lost is the Chinese Four Symbols motif with the party, and it's not exactly something beyond a general reference.

They shouldn't have changed the titan names, all of those work fine and are more memorable than the English ones.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I'm in mid chapter 4 and have been traveling around doing side quests and all of a sudden my load times got huge. Opening a core crystal is giving 15-30 sec load times before the blade appears. I'm playing on a physical cart. Is this a known issue? I've closed the game and will reopen fresh later, but it's the first time this has happened in many hours of play.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like I have a real unclear understanding of what the cloud sea is. Like at times it seems like they are up in the air and the cloud sea is literally just clouds and all the titans are flying, other times it seems like it's water under like a foot of fog. Or water under hundreds of feet of clouds? Now they are at a mountain made out of clouds?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Pretty sure this isn't how it would work, but I think the clouds are just dense/fantasy enough that they have enough water content to swim in and effectively be an ocean beneath the surface.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Question on party member 5 I just fought him for the third time, how long until he joins? I want to go do some sidequest cleanup while also hitting up old areas to take care of affinities and I want him to be there too

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

Question on party member 5 I just fought him for the third time, how long until he joins? I want to go do some sidequest cleanup while also hitting up old areas to take care of affinities and I want him to be there too

Very soon just plow through the next like dozen cutscenes.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So I got the 4th character in the party and drat does it feel good to not be restricted by poppi bullshit. She might have a tiny bit less health but I feel like she can tank just as well and somehow even better most of time. Like she blocks/dodges more often. Totally digging her tanking style.

So how do you guys split roles within party? Do you just have all 3 of the same role for a particular character or do you do different combos?

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
It’s a shame the interface is so bad i spend so much time going to the menu every couple of minutes when I just want to just go do something.

These affinity kill x ones are so bad if you have to back track through areas if the trust level wasn’t unlocked.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
In addition to different collection icons on the map, a bestiary that would allow you to mark a monster to find would be good

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'll probably put down the game for a while until everything is documented in a wiki. Can't ever find some of the monsters

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Getting a little nervous about this trust mechanic because I’m almost 40 hours in and I have no idea what it is. Should I be sending my extra rare blades off on merc missions? Should I be sending the same blades over and over or mix it up with different ones each time?

Also can you really not do multiple missions at a time? Should I just max out the number of blades I send regardless of how many it recommends?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Bass Bottles posted:

Also can you really not do multiple missions at a time? Should I just max out the number of blades I send regardless of how many it recommends?

You can send more than one squad after you've increased your merc group rank, it also increases your blade capacity.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also yeah always send out the maximum number of Blades. If they have the listed recommended skills they'll decrease the time the mission takes. Even if they don't have the skill you get trust on every blade you send out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I really wish they would turn the music down in cutscenes, I can’t hear poo poo.

Also, can party members randomly use specials lower than the next seal skill level, or does the buildup eventually time out? I tried several times to go 1->2->3 in one of the early boss battles but it always got invalidated before I could hit 3.