Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Jedit posted:

One of the Io quests involves you finding out that someone else is Taking Taken, which had previously been thought impossible.

I also discovered that Devrim Kay is gay.

90% sure every single character is gay except Asher Mir who is incel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Jeza posted:

90% sure every single character is gay except Asher Mir who is incel

C'mon that dude is volcel as gently caress

Edit: wait no the titan black guy is volcel, Asher probably fucks computers or something

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

cayde is a robotwink and heck, so am i

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Hell yeah dude

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

The Gate posted:

I feel like I remember something from D1 (probably in the book of sorrows) where Oryx was suspicious that Savathun had figured out how he was Taking things, and just biding time.

A big piece of the puzzle is understanding* the sisters and their individual powers and strengths, their weaknesses, their history, understanding their relationships to each other, to the Ascendent Realm, to the Sword Logic, and so much deep lore cockamamie rigmarole that basically so long as one is alive and kicking, we shouldn't be surprised at their power sets, especially wrt anything the others could do.

As I recall specifically, Savathun always had way more power and knowledge than she ever let on, and Auryx, later Oryx, was indeed highly suspicious of her. He attacked her forces at one point without prompt and outside their typical battling of their armies, decimating them, to teach her a lesson. And I also seem to remember that when Savathun dipped out, it was so that her Hive could grow and evolve differently, independently from Oryx's, and that it came directly after Oryx displayed to her what she considered to be devastating naivety.

She is, at her most base, driven by a desire to understand all. For this, she especially in contrast to Oryx is dangerous because the question isn't what does she know and what are her abilities, but what doesn't she know and what can't she do? And the fact that her Hive are likely inherently far more a danger than Oryx's Hive, her Taken as well, which doesn't even consider that there's indication she's straight commanding Oryx's old troops too.

Seriously can't wait for Taken Queen.

*as well as one can be reasonably expected to, which I'm probably lacking in also

cvnvcnv fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 9, 2017

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jeza posted:

Hunter Flawless Trials cloak looks very dope.

Wish it wasn’t stuck with all that teal on the back :/

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Echoing, "I wish we had Laser Tag as an official playlist entry."

And any other gimmick-modes that naturally develop as we roll along this release.

I don't know if it's possible for The Developers to force loadouts in D2 so as to make this possible.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

the good fax machine posted:

Wish it wasn’t stuck with all that teal on the back :/

The ornament removes the teal so get grinding!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
If your first person shooter doesn’t have a low gravity instagib mode then you probably hosed up.

Samu posted:

I really don't like that you can just sprint through the new strike (even heroic) without killing anything. I like killing goblins as a team not avoiding playing the game to get vanguard tokens.

Sprinting past everything and taking your sparrow where it shouldn’t is kind of the thing with strikes even in Destiny 1. I feel like past the first the first playthrough that’s how 90% of the population plays them for better or worse.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Eej posted:

Technically if you're old and busted a low TTK PvP game is worse for you because it's more demanding on your reflexes and aim. Right now there's a ton of people who just got the Lens so they're just running around like idiots in the open. Low TTK mostly allows more skilled players to wipe the floor with weaker ones, either by pulling off huge flanks that prey on lack of radar awareness/slow reactions or teamshooting with 3+ lasers to melt you before you even know what's going on. It's fun but it doesn't really suit 30 tick p2p Destiny 2 pvp for the longterm.

Fwiw I do prefer the high TTK teamwork meta over the alternative lower TTK single player hero aiming for big plays meta but maybe that's just me getting old and not caring about sick owning noobs 1v3 as much as getting the win with the team.

Yes, it makes it harder to win but because destiny also rewards a loss, I prefer the faster games. I'll never be good at PvP no matter what the speed is though.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah I meant the Ornament. Transforms from average to undisputed dopest.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Yodzilla posted:

Sprinting past everything and taking your sparrow where it shouldn’t is kind of the thing with strikes even in Destiny 1. I feel like past the first the first playthrough that’s how 90% of the population plays them for better or worse.

Solution- stay back with the slow guy you will often get and kill everything with him as the hombre running ahead dies or whatev. I did that last night on the Mercury strike with the tower and it was a lot of fun, fast guy slowed down and burned rear end with us. Not one enemy left alive.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I just assumed everybody wanted it done as fast as possible

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I wonder if half this game’s problems come from a lack of difficulty. In 95% of the content there are zero consequences to dying so there’s no point in making any encounters interesting or hard. It’s the same problem people had when the first BioShock launched.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eej posted:

The ornament removes the teal so get grinding!

Well on it, my man!! I thought the requirements might be per character, but it's account-wide so shouldn't take too long to get them all knocked out.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

Norns posted:

The way I see it is I can't really grind for gear once I've done the weekly milestones. I do the Heroic strikes to test out builds/weapon combos since they can be challenging but not wildly so like a raid or nightfall.

I like the infinite forest because you can see how your build works vs Cabal, Fallen ect. all at once. If you wanna run through it that's cool and all but I'll be back here trying to kill everything.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
I like sprinting through the infinite forest and going fast because I like jumping puzzles, and this is a fun obstacle course.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Norns posted:

I'm a weirdo and like going slow and killing everything in D2 strikes because this permits two additional people to earn me exp for Brights. I'll go fast if that's the speed but fast runs aren't saving a lot of time vs potential exp gain, imo. PEs good but there may be a bit if waiting for what may be a quick experience without a lot of enemies.

D1 the fun absolutely was in burning strikes as fast as possible. Good times :allears:

el B posted:

I like sprinting through the infinite forest and going fast because I like jumping puzzles, and this is a fun obstacle course.

Also wholly viable. It is fun, go so fast you end up guessing what the configuration is, get into some ridiculous attempts to correct course.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Yodzilla posted:

If your first person shooter doesn’t have a low gravity instagib mode then you probably hosed up.

UT shock rifle instagib with 20+ players might be the pinnacle of stupid fun.

IMO crucible could use a tank or interceptor battle option too. Or maybe only one person gets a tank and everyone else gets wrecked?

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 9, 2017

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Shifty Pony posted:

UT shock rifle instagib with 20+ players might be the pinnacle of stupid fun.

IMO crucible could use a tank or interceptor battle option too.

Combined Arms? Ehhhh

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
So does Ikora only give you a weapon once per account for doing the Osiris campaign? I did it a second time last night and she never gave me fuckall but an engram.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Skoll posted:

So does Ikora only give you a weapon once per account for doing the Osiris campaign? I did it a second time last night and she never gave me fuckall but an engram.

Correct

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Norns posted:

Sounds like windows game recording is on. Check under settings>games and turn any of windows recording crap off.

Nope, it wasn't but I figured out what the problem was.

Right clicking on the Destiny 2 executable and going into Compatibility showed an option to disable fullscreen optimization. I did that, and now i'm running fullscreen windowed at 200 fps.

Yay

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

nickhimself posted:

Nope, it wasn't but I figured out what the problem was.

Right clicking on the Destiny 2 executable and going into Compatibility showed an option to disable fullscreen optimization. I did that, and now i'm running fullscreen windowed at 200 fps.

Yay

Thanks for this. I've been running it in fullscreen mode but noticed that whenever I alt tabbed over to discord or whatever the game dropped down to 30 fps and wondered about that.

On a similar note, I can tell you that Destiny 2 handles alt tabbing just fine without making GBS threads itself like so many other games.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

QuasiQuack posted:

The taken are a really good and cool concept imo. They're all former individuals who have been "absolved of the burden of free will" and through that process have become incredibly powerful agents of The Darkness. They've been dipped in The Deep by Oryx's invisible hand and are pretty much the closest any faction has come to being the actual Darkness.

I agree. Problem is, as a new player to Destiny 2, I had to learn this through the wiki. In-game, they're not helped at all by your only exposure to their lore being Ikora Rey saying they're 'stolen souls' corrupted by 'dark magic'. Sure, once you understand that Rey isn't exactly being literal and she's basically a religious fanatic for the Traveler, sure, you can see something there. But they're basically set up as spooky evil spirits and they feel so boring.

My big, big flaw with D2 is that new players aren't told anything. The lore is actually really interesting! But I have to trawl through the wiki and the web Grimoire entries for it. You get enough of the basics to understand what's going on with the main plot with Ghaul and the Traveler but the Hive, the Fallen and so on are basically left completely bare. Stuff like that makes me agree with the thought that D2 feels like a big expansion to D1.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 9, 2017

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Milky Moor posted:

I agree. Problem is, as a new player to Destiny 2, I had to learn this through the wiki. In-game, they're not helped at all by your only exposure to their lore being Ikora Rey saying they're 'stolen souls' corrupted by 'dark magic'. Sure, once you understand that Rey isn't exactly being literal and she's basically a religious fanatic for the Traveler, sure, you can see something there. But they're basically set up as spooky evil spirits and they feel so boring.

My big, big flaw with D2 is that new players aren't told anything. The lore is actually really interesting! But I have to trawl through the wiki and the web Grimoire entries for it. You get enough of the basics to understand what's going on with the main plot with Ghaul and the Traveler but the Hive, the Fallen and so on are basically left completely bare. Stuff like that makes me agree with the thought that D2 feels like a big expansion to D1.
D1 was exactly the same in this respect

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I have a large number of gunsmith tokens and only about 60% of the gunsmith legendary weapons. I know they are patching in the ability to buy specific weapons for tokens/shards/whatever, but are standard engram costs changing or anything else?

Is there any downside to holding onto all my tokens until Tuesday/Wednesday?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

cvnvcnv posted:

A big piece of the puzzle is understanding* the sisters and their individual powers and strengths, their weaknesses, their history, understanding their relationships to each other, to the Ascendent Realm, to the Sword Logic, and so much deep lore cockamamie rigmarole that basically so long as one is alive and kicking, we shouldn't be surprised at their power sets, especially wrt anything the others could do.

As I recall specifically, Savathun always had way more power and knowledge than she ever let on, and Auryx, later Oryx, was indeed highly suspicious of her. He attacked her forces at one point without prompt and outside their typical battling of their armies, decimating them, to teach her a lesson. And I also seem to remember that when Savathun dipped out, it was so that her Hive could grow and evolve differently, independently from Oryx's, and that it came directly after Oryx displayed to her what she considered to be devastating naivety.

She is, at her most base, driven by a desire to understand all. For this, she especially in contrast to Oryx is dangerous because the question isn't what does she know and what are her abilities, but what doesn't she know and what can't she do? And the fact that her Hive are likely inherently far more a danger than Oryx's Hive, her Taken as well, which doesn't even consider that there's indication she's straight commanding Oryx's old troops too.

Seriously can't wait for Taken Queen.

*as well as one can be reasonably expected to, which I'm probably lacking in also

Savathun isn't so much driven by understanding (Oryx was cursed to understand and forever learn; I am Auryx, I am the First Navigator and I shall chart death. And my throne shall be carved of osmium), as much as she needs to learn secrets and then use them to be the sneakiest, backstabbiest bitch in the universe. I'd do an effort post on the sisters, but that would probably require one or more posts so maybe I'll do it later when I start drinking.

E: Applied to 2 chill 2 srs as Spookylizard#1281

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 9, 2017

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
E: double posted like a dreg

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

cvnvcnv posted:

Combined Arms? Ehhhh

Combined arms...with tanks.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

DrNutt posted:

On a similar note, I can tell you that Destiny 2 handles alt tabbing just fine without making GBS threads itself like so many other games.

News to me, since if I alt-tab and try to click back over while it's trying to load anything at all it hard locks the computer.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Unhappy Meal posted:

News to me, since if I alt-tab and try to click back over while it's trying to load anything at all it hard locks the computer.

Put it in borderless windowed mode at your monitors resolution.

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016
destiny lore is like the bible. a bunch of stuff that supposedly happened but probably didn't :smuggo:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Everybody saying the Taken don't bring anything to the table must be playing with the volume off, because the Taken's whole thing is the loving annoying loud rear end shrieking black speech they start spouting off as soon as one sees you. Seriously, go run into a pack of Taken Psions and wait for your ears to start bleeding.

On that note, I'm unironically excited for the inevitable Taken Queen expansion, because the Bungie sound guys are at their best when they get to work with the Hive and their whole space mordor sound aesthetic.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Waffle House posted:

Combined arms...with tanks.

Combined nothing. No guns, only tanks. Sparrows summonable so you can try to get back to a tank spawning circle or if you are gutsy enough attempt to close distance and super a tank (cover the map with those light bushes from the Traveler shard missions).

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

Combined nothing. No guns, only tanks. Sparrows summonable so you can try to get back to a tank spawning circle or if you are gutsy enough attempt to close distance and super a tank (cover the map with those light bushes from the Traveler shard missions).

badass. so after a mode like that and laser rave, what actual good and fun modes from d1 are missing from this

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

This game cries out for a combat racing mode.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Rocket race was already a thing bungie made come on guys

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

If the rest of these ornaments glow, I'm going full Christmas tree. Most shaders are totally matte, some have a slight glow, and some are just paint on flashlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Shifty Pony posted:

idk, I like rocket launchers and sniper rifles with my vehicles for some reason. It's too bad there's no Banshee-style flyers planned

Pharmaskittle posted:

This game cries out for a combat racing mode.

This also would be sweet, but I feel SRL is already Road Rash enough. Maybe if we get a turretted buggy :aaa:

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 10, 2017

• Locked thread