Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Newhart ended with everything being a dream from his previous show. Twin Peaks has ended really weird twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Davros1 posted:

In the last season of the show "Til Death", the son-in-law of the main characters had a subplot where he began to realize that their whole existence was a sitcom.

Here's the AV Club article about it. (VanDerWerff makes sure to point out that it wasn't good, just very strange.)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Sunswipe posted:

Sitcoms do tend to get weird at the end if they've get a proper ending rather than just not being picked up for another season. Roseanne, ALF, Dinosaurs... how many others?

Newhart ended really weird.

But yeah, it's almost preferable to just unexpectedly die. Seinfeld had a meh ending. Friends was okay. But the writers either make too big a deal out of the end or not enough of one.

I don't recall how 30 Rock ended, but I remember not being disappointed in it so I'll take that as an example of a good ending.

Edit: beaten on Newhart.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

lemon-lyme disease posted:

Laugh-track chat made me think of one of my favourite shows maybe ever: Sports Night.

Thing is, I can’t really comment on how well it’s held up because apart from people I’ve directly exposed to it, I’ve never met anyone else who likes it or even knows what it is. It did have a laugh track though. I’ve just never given that critical thought.

Also, I’ve never seen any of Sorkin’s other stuff, so I’m not qualified on that front either.

It just, hm. The characters really felt like a family to me, if a dysfunctional one. There was a warmth there.

I rewatched Sports Night not too long ago, and it holds up pretty well. Some episodes are a little dated (like the one where Jeremy tries to prevent Y2K problems), but some of the dated stuff makes the comedy bits a little more funny in retrospect. The laugh track is the most grating in the first episode, after that it's not so bad. As someone else said, by the end of the first season they were barely using it, and it's completely gone for all of the second season.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Krispy Wafer posted:

Newhart ended really weird.

But yeah, it's almost preferable to just unexpectedly die. Seinfeld had a meh ending. Friends was okay. But the writers either make too big a deal out of the end or not enough of one.

I don't recall how 30 Rock ended, but I remember not being disappointed in it so I'll take that as an example of a good ending.

Edit: beaten on Newhart.

Everyone has a happy ending. Except Pete. Also, Kenneth really is immortal, and is President of NBC 150 years in the future, and the entire show may have been written by Liz Lemon's great-great granddaughter.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Mister Mind posted:

Everyone has a happy ending. Except Pete. Also, Kenneth really is immortal, and is President of NBC 150 years in the future, and the entire show may have been written by Liz Lemon's great-great granddaughter.

30 Rock talk now. Kenneth the character and the actor who plays him are both from my hometown, in the deep South and birthplace of the modern KKK. In a flashback, Kenneth remembers his senior prom and you'd think it'd be full of White people, but instead he's the only White person there. Which is funny because it's true.

And now I need to watch 30 Rock again.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Krispy Wafer posted:

30 Rock talk now. Kenneth the character and the actor who plays him are both from my hometown, in the deep South and birthplace of the modern KKK. In a flashback, Kenneth remembers his senior prom and you'd think it'd be full of White people, but instead he's the only White person there. Which is funny because it's true.

And now I need to watch 30 Rock again.

You'll be fine, Captain Needa.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
30 Rocks ending spoofs St. Elsewhere, a hospital drama, where it pans out and shows the hospital was in a snow globe and all the stories were made up by an autistic kid.

I remember someone posting about a sitcom that just ended by the cast saying ‘well, we’re cancelled. Thanks bye.’

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

lmao metal gear solid 4 was less hammy than this when it did the same idea. I'm not American or old so I've never seen Mash but it looks bad.

Mash was like one of the first if not the first network TV show to both be critical of war and not treating it as some noble thing, and at really even trying to have that sort of pathos. Alda just really wasnt a good enough actor for it and rarely knew when it was better to dial it back a bit (or a lot).

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

GrandpaPants posted:

Yeah, I'm kinda surprised by the reaction to it, since I think it's a great idea for a tragic scene, but the actor couldn't sell the pathos. I'm trying to think of a good breakdown scene which I know must exist but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZx1W6cHw-g

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
The 30 Rock episode where Tracy Morgan dresses up like Bill Cosby has aged really poorly in light of Bill Cosby being a rapist.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

girl pants posted:

The 30 Rock episode where Tracy Morgan dresses up like Bill Cosby has aged really poorly in light of Bill Cosby being a rapist.
But the joke where he hates Bill Cosby because of something Cosby did to his aunt has aged quite well.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

But the joke where he hates Bill Cosby because of something Cosby did to his aunt has aged quite well.

There must have been another episode where Tracy Jordan did a Cosby impersonation. Because the scene you're talking about has aged beautifully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnXQUc4-aBI

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Or for something good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3s3qvQNuSk

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Whether he's freezing to death or playing a mentally challenged compulsive water tower climber, Leonardo Dicaprio always makes me cry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EejUcrRgEsE&t=19s

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Milo and POTUS posted:

There was a sitcom I heard about on these forums years ago and apparently the last season was absolutely insane.

What?

I remember a thread on SA about some movie where the third act was really strange.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Gordon Shumway posted:

I rewatched Sports Night not too long ago, and it holds up pretty well. Some episodes are a little dated (like the one where Jeremy tries to prevent Y2K problems), but some of the dated stuff makes the comedy bits a little more funny in retrospect. The laugh track is the most grating in the first episode, after that it's not so bad. As someone else said, by the end of the first season they were barely using it, and it's completely gone for all of the second season.

Somebody on the last page (who I’d quote were I not hurriedly phone-posting) said it wasn’t even a laugh track, but rather a live audience. I don’t know if that’s true, but I’d kind of like it to be.

I just remembered one thing that bugged me on my latest rewatch - the music. Whoever was streaming it must not’ve had the rights to some of the songs they originally used and having different ones over some of the iconic scenes (the montage where Casey is trying to get up the courage to ask Dana out, the scene where they first kiss in the office) made me sad.

e: It was Mu Zeta!

Mu Zeta posted:

ABC execs and Sorkin were constantly fighting about it. The show started out with a laugh track and it kept getting quieter until it was completely gone in the first season. Also it wasn't technically a laugh track since the show was insanely filmed in front of a live audience. Another insane thing is that Sorkin wrote the first season of West Wing and the second season of Sports Night at the same time. He needed a ton of drugs to do it though.

Here's some of that painful sitcom stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFKDJPdhMYU

burial has a new favorite as of 19:55 on Dec 9, 2017

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BiggerBoat posted:

What?

I remember a thread on SA about some movie where the third act was really strange.

:hurr:

Too long ago to recall the particulars

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

SEX BURRITO posted:

30 Rocks ending spoofs St. Elsewhere, a hospital drama, where it pans out and shows the hospital was in a snow globe and all the stories were made up by an autistic kid.

I remember someone posting about a sitcom that just ended by the cast saying ‘well, we’re cancelled. Thanks bye.’

I Married Dora! Speaking of things that wouldn't age well - guy marries his Latina housekeeper to keep her from being deported. The last episode is them getting ready to get on a plane when the dad is given a note off screen. The kid asks what it says..

Peter: Hold on, hold on. Calm down here.

Dora (surprised): Mr. Peter?

Peter (looking at the airline ticket in his hand): It's been canceled.

Dora: The flight?

Peter (throwing the ticket over his shoulder): No, our SERIES![1]

Then they all blow kisses to the audience and walk off....

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
His housekeeper was an illegal immigrant about to be deported, so that part honestly isn't dated at all.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

His housekeeper was an illegal immigrant about to be deported, so that part honestly isn't dated at all.

The marriage stopping it in its tracks is, though.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

bitterandtwisted posted:

One Foot in the Grave killed off the main character and implied his wife murdered the person responsible.

Oh God, that entire episode is just so sad. It's filmed like an hour-long drama and has the hapless Victor going to his high school reunion....only to realize he's the only one left. The rest had died and he was the final one. So he makes his way back home, only to be run down outside the train station. And then it gets WORSE with the wife struggling to recover and reaching out to someone only to find they're the murderer and then...she's driving off into the sunset. Possibly a murderer.

And the best part was that the show often would have leadups to very dark moments only to recant on them. So all of this just came out as something really, really horrifying. It's one of those episodes that I think not only fucks with your mind, but kinda makes it where you don''t want to see the series ever again because it's that disturbing.

Anyway, if we're bringing up 'I Married Dora,' we should probably bring up the final episode of Moonlighting. It's an hour-long drama, the plot runs out at the last commercial break, and the last few moments are the guy who played Booger on 'Revenge of the Nerds' weeping over a dead body, the set being taken down, and the main characters getting chastised for loving up the show by getting together. Then it ends. Which was kinda messed up.

Also, sorry about bringing up Unhappily Ever After. I didn't recall it being that loving horrifying from the clip that was shown, but I do remember it being such a clusterfuck that they had two of the leads leave (the mother-in-law being one of them, whose character presumably ended up buried in the backyard) and then them making it only to 100 episodes so they could go into syndication but then...

Wikipedia posted:

The show was sold into syndication for the 1999–2000 and the 2000–01 seasons, but was not re-offered the following fall due to lackluster clearance rates and low ratings. It has been off the air in America ever since.

Literally off the air for about two decades.

Edit: I just did a check on Nikki Cox's career since I was curious just how badly everything went for the people from Unhappily Ever After. On the good side, this show did not kill many careers, a lot of the people are still working (even the nice lady who left in the fourth season is still getting work, which is awesome). However, Nikki Cox stopped getting roles right around 2008...when she turned thirty years old. Which is incredibly depressing.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu has a new favorite as of 22:30 on Dec 9, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Oh God, that entire episode is just so sad. It's filmed like an hour-long drama and has the hapless Victor going to his high school reunion....only to realize he's the only one left. The rest had died and he was the final one. So he makes his way back home, only to be run down outside the train station. And then it gets WORSE with the wife struggling to recover and reaching out to someone only to find they're the murderer and then...she's driving off into the sunset. Possibly a murderer.

And the best part was that the show often would have leadups to very dark moments only to recant on them. So all of this just came out as something really, really horrifying. It's one of those episodes that I think not only fucks with your mind, but kinda makes it where you don''t want to see the series ever again because it's that disturbing.

I think that that was my favourite episode because it was definitely a hell of an ending. Also, Victor wasn't the only one left. As he leaves the Pub dejected, another elderly man approaches, this one with a noticable limp. "Limpy" was one of the friends that Victor was describing to his waiter when reminiscing. If Victor had just waited 5 more minutes he would have met with one of his friends. Victor wasn't the only one left of his class - but Limpy now is. As Dustin Hoffman once mused in Stranger than Fiction: Dramatic Irony. It'll gently caress ya' every time.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

There was that Charlie Sheen show where they filmed something like 100 episodes in advance, then, after the first season turned out to be a dud, they dumped the rest of the show into a super long season two.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

I think that that was my favourite episode because it was definitely a hell of an ending. Also, Victor wasn't the only one left. As he leaves the Pub dejected, another elderly man approaches, this one with a noticable limp. "Limpy" was one of the friends that Victor was describing to his waiter when reminiscing. If Victor had just waited 5 more minutes he would have met with one of his friends. Victor wasn't the only one left of his class - but Limpy now is. As Dustin Hoffman once mused in Stranger than Fiction: Dramatic Irony. It'll gently caress ya' every time.

Oh wow that's even more twisted. Day late and dollar short, and now dead. Poor Victor.

And I completely forgot that Charlie Sheen show even existed. They actually made a hundred episodes in advance??

Edit (again, sorry): holy poo poo, they actually made 100 episodes. And it was cancelled shortly afterward, and that was it. And it had a few weird acting choices in it: the dad from Family Ties, the son from Family Matters, Selma Blair was fired because Sheen threw a hissy fit, and one of the ladies from Reno 911....my God, that is insane. And it was produced by the guy who ran the Drew Carey Show who by all rights should be used to a few seasons worth of effort being turned off during the summer months due to the company losing all sorts of faith in it. That whole thing sounds like a train wreck but I've never seen an episode. And it looks like they stopped releasing it on DVD as of 2014.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu has a new favorite as of 00:36 on Dec 10, 2017

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Edit: I just did a check on Nikki Cox's career since I was curious just how badly everything went for the people from Unhappily Ever After. On the good side, this show did not kill many careers, a lot of the people are still working (even the nice lady who left in the fourth season is still getting work, which is awesome). However, Nikki Cox stopped getting roles right around 2008...when she turned thirty years old. Which is incredibly depressing.

It might also coincide with plastic surgeons turning her into a ghoul, which is depressing as well.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

married but discreet posted:

It might also coincide with plastic surgeons turning her into a ghoul, which is depressing as well.

Yeah, I finally dug deep and googled for a whole minute and came out with the story, I think: she started doing botox and other things for her lips in 2005, when she was on her 'Las Vegas' TV show, and by the time that show ended she had the first of many plastic surgeries that destroyed her looks. So while one could say that Hollywood doesn't treat actresses very well, in this case she was someone who was really attractive and took it too far to the point of looking really bad.

That's really depressing. Oddly enough, it didn't stop her from doing voice roles, but she really didn't need that. Yikes.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The marriage stopping it in its tracks is, though.

True, I doubt immigration is that restrained these days.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
What do you fellow goons think about the growing opposition to the Simpsons' Apu? Do you think they'll take him off the show?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mister Kingdom posted:

What do you fellow goons think about the growing opposition to the Simpsons' Apu? Do you think they'll take him off the show?

I do want to watch "The Problem With Apu" sometime.

Also LOL at this take that leads to a 404, but is still visible on Google searches:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The stunning thing about that scene from Fresh Prince is that at one point you can tell James Avery, who acted for half his life, and won an emmy for writing for PBS, is super close to busting into tears himself. You can *HEAR* people suppressing tears.

No joke, Fresh Prince would go in the opposite version of this thread. It's the first bit of media that taught me about the struggle Black America goes through even now despite having achieved civil rights, and it's one of the few shows that has multiple good "A Very Special Episode", although I thought the drug episode was kind of cliche. But the DWB episode is loving choice and has some great lines (it might be the best Very Special Episode ever), the episode where Will gets shot is good, the one where Carlton stands up for himself after being branded an Uncle Tom by fraternity brothers is good, just top notch social stuff from a goddamn sitcom.

El Gallinero Gros has a new favorite as of 02:36 on Dec 10, 2017

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Carlton high on speed and doing his signature dance is sort of funny.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

Who the hell set up this reunion if all but two had died

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

the episode where Will gets shot is good

I remember thinking this one hitting harder than the one with his dad but it's been a while since I watched.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Unhappily ever after was alright.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

There was that Charlie Sheen show where they filmed something like 100 episodes in advance, then, after the first season turned out to be a dud, they dumped the rest of the show into a super long season two.

That show was such an obvious PR stunt to make Charlie Sheen look like a chilled out guy. He plays a therapist, so his character is often the most sane one in the room, and half the storylines can be summed up as ‘bitches be crazy’. Not at all surprised to hear that he was an rear end in a top hat on set.

Samuringa posted:

I remember thinking this one hitting harder than the one with his dad but it's been a while since I watched.

Yeah that one was probably sadder as it showed Will as scared and vulnerable.

One of my favourite moments is uncle Phil talking about growing up as a poor black man and overcoming discrimination. It’s a really strong message in a sometimes dumb sitcom.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Aesop Poprock posted:

Who the hell set up this reunion if all but two had died

They probably had it as a regular thing every X years to meet up. I remember Cheers did an episode with a similar situation.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My graduating class must have just not given a poo poo about it because I think it ended up being like 7 people in a bar out of a class of like 300+ apparently. I didn't even realize one had happened

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Mister Kingdom posted:

They won't remove the Apu character, but honestly, in the upcoming 30th season, I couldn't possibly give a gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I like Apu. Him and Mr. Burns are my favorites. Granted I haven't watched since like 2004, but still.