Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

nielsm posted:

Diabetes is the first thing that comes to mind. Except it doesn't really match up with the medications that were shown.

Nikaidou is based on a real player who suffered from a chronic kidney disorder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I could swear they mentioned he had a kidney problem in an earlier episode.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Rei is a good friend. :unsmith:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Take note of those tatami mats. All laid out in the same direction. This is definitely a space for special occasions.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Why did they have the finals by themselves with no press, cameras, or officials?

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Yawgmoft posted:

Why did they have the finals by themselves with no press, cameras, or officials?

There is certainly one or two officials just off-camera during their match recording the moves and time. There might even be an overhead camera for all we know. I think SHAFT just wanted to reinforce the 1v1 battle feeling, especially when the scene was built around how tunnel-visioned Rei can get when he's too emotionally invested in his matches.

This was a great episode on all fronts. I like how the animators keep experimenting with new styles all the time in this show. Gritty manga sketch style when Rei is pissed off at his opponent and wants to put him in his place. Pastel watercolor backgrounds when all Rei can think about is helping Hina feel less awful. The amount of empathy he has really hits me hard. It's heartbreaking to see someone you care about go through emotional pain, but especially when you've been there / done that and know just how bad it is.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
That loving episode man. I knew that was coming and i still teared up.

School trips like that are the worst when your being bullied, and rei coming over while hina is at her loneliest like that is beyond amazing. And rei knew, he lived it, and no one ever came for him.

This anime man, definitely the anime of the year for me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Helter Skelter posted:

Rei is a good friend. :unsmith:
And has good friends, in turn. Such a good and understated manner of developing his character arc; his first episode self could have never pulled this off, but at the same time him getting to this point just kind of snuck up on the viewer. And yet it makes sense given the tribulations he went through himself, peppered throughout the story, and how he was able to overcome them to some degree thanks to the support of the Kawamotos and others.

cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011
This show is so good it's almost painful to wait a week for the next episode.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Hey Shaft, can we just keep this show going forever? Okay thanks bye.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
At the time it was announced a fair number of people, myself included, thought that Shaft was an odd choice to adapt this comic, but in hindsight they might've been the perfect match given how many visual metaphors/sequences the comic likes to use which of course Shaft has implemented beautifully.

I know people sometimes don't care for the asides to some of the ancillary characters but I think almost without exception they're always really well done, including this one. Silver :unsmith:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The chapters or even arcs which focus on largely one-shot characters are often some of my favourite chapters. I love when the story does a couple of chapters dedicated to exploring a shogi opponent who probably won't show up in a major way ever again, sometimes even with characters that don't face Rei at all. They're usually quite good.

Anyway, I like Pigeon man and i'm glad he thinks Rei and Nikaidou are the coolest. And also I am extremely happy Hina is smiling and happy and I hope she never is sad again!!!

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Noguchi is the man. What an absolute boss.

https://i.imgur.com/8uDIQsT.gifv

Great episode for Rei. Even he can't help but tear up over how much progress he has made. Looks like next week will be significant for Hina's bullying arc based on the preview voiceover.

Gakuto x Issa was great too.

https://i.imgur.com/aWNFGWY.gifv

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Mentat Radnor posted:

Looks like next week will be significant for Hina's bullying arc based on the preview voiceover.
Mmm two weeks from now

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
"When did I get here?" :unsmith:

Great ep to come back to after the holidays.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I love how this show still manages to keep surprising me with just how loving good it is.

I also like the new OP and ED.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

That was an exceptionally strong episode to start the year off with. Physically made me shiver.

Last year there was another anime I think was supposed to be about bullying/recovering from it, Clione no Akari. I never finished it, partly because it had unsteady releases, but it was also just weak. Hina's arc here is amazing.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

It almost feels bad to have this hero teacher come out of nowhere to lay the smackdown and resolve everything now, because you'd think when things got bad enough that a kid dropped out because of the issues he would have been brought in much earlier.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I've been eagerly awaiting this episode, and drat it was good. So much frustration and satisfaction at the same time. Hina is so strong :cry:

Devil grandpa is ten times better animated. I love it when SHAFT amps up the comedy bits to be even more over the top than the manga, with their trademark crazy color palettes, fast cuts, and super zoomed-in shots.

AnacondaHL posted:

It almost feels bad to have this hero teacher come out of nowhere to lay the smackdown and resolve everything now, because you'd think when things got bad enough that a kid dropped out because of the issues he would have been brought in much earlier.

I'm not sure how much he and the other school administrators knew, and when. It sounded to me like they only became aware of who was doing the bullying when Hina spoke up about it, because the rest of the class was too scared to point fingers. Who knows how much the last homeroom teacher told the administration about the bullying situation with Chiho, considering she just wanted to ignore it all.

Head Teacher does come a bit out of left field, but it's nice to show that not all teachers are jaded and unhelpful when it comes to bullying. At some point students have to rely on an adult to step in and stop this stuff.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

drat, Hina is extraordinarily powerful and cool.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It just goes to show how insidious and toxic a bullying environment can become, and how it takes an almost miracle to actually make a dent into it, and as we'll see soon actually doing something about it takes far greater resources/effort from a school than just scolding/punishing the bullies involved.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Man im gonna miss Flag wo Totero. For me that will always be burned into my mind with hina's bullying and her amazing power to go against it.

Mura
Feb 3, 2008
I’m actually really happy to see the bullying arc draw to a close. It’s really well done, but it’s just drawing me back to my time being bullied in middle school, so it just keeps hitting a bunch of old wounds. It’s been about 14 years since then and I’m honestly surprised at how angry I get thinking back on it.

The arcs coming up are also really great, so I really can’t wait to see how they’re handled.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

The image of Hina's determination is one of my favourite frames in anime in a long, long time. It's the perfect climax to her personal character growth and it's filled with such a perfect mix of emotions that I teared up a little.

This show is amazing, everyone should watch it.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Cavelcade posted:

The image of Hina's determination is one of my favourite frames in anime in a long, long time. It's the perfect climax to her personal character growth and it's filled with such a perfect mix of emotions that I teared up a little.

This show is amazing, everyone should watch it.

Seriously, I screencapped it a well.

SHAFT also really blew the budget on this one, it was the best animated episode in a while.

This show is so good!!!!

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Does anyone have that frame without the subs? I kind of want to set it as my background.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Thanks, this is great!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wasn't trying to be hyperbolic when I was talking up the new season for months in advance, it's a pretty Big Deal and one of the most memorable arcs I can think of in an anime/manga story.

A potential third season might also have another Big Deal to get into, but that's a story/question for another time.

E: New episode was, literally and figuratively, "faintly glowing" for sure :unsmith:

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 14, 2018

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I'm a probably a horrible human being but am I the only one that wants Hina and Rei to end up together?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MJP posted:

I'm a probably a horrible human being but am I the only one that wants Hina and Rei to end up together?
why would that make you a horrible human being, they're almost the same age

hina just gets drawn in a cutesy style most of the time so it's easy to forget that she's...I think a year younger than rei.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Captain Invictus posted:

why would that make you a horrible human being, they're almost the same age

hina just gets drawn in a cutesy style most of the time so it's easy to forget that she's...I think a year younger than rei.

It's at least like 3. He's a senior that took a year off when she's just starting high school, so there's a few years between them.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

You know he's the kind of dork that would wait.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
for manga readers: boy, aren't these fellas cute, especially the one right above this post :allears:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh right, shogi.

I do rather like this Souya-centric arc though.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I ship Rei with the older sister, I feel like that's a little more wholesome.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Akari/Shimada is my ship

this conversation is so dangerous

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

I ship Rei with the older sister, I feel like that's a little more wholesome.

Rei is too skinny for her, she'd be all about Nikaidou.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Nate RFB posted:

I wonder if other manga readers caught the little tidbit of foreshadowing in this episode for a development that comes quite a bit later in the story.
This was a post that I made way back in S1, and we now get to the part in the story where it's revealed just what it was foreshadowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

This was a post that I made way back in S1, and we now get to the part in the story where it's revealed just what it was foreshadowing.

I've been waiting for this lovely little episode, "Rei and a quiet god play a game of shogi and then hang out in a typhoon."

Umino makes such great characters.

• Locked thread