Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Doom Rooster: Instead of a name, can we post a picture and have you (or someone else) try to recreate it without knowing what it is?

This reminds me of a cherished memory from my time in Korea. At a bar, my coworker ordered nachos (first mistake right there). It came out looking like nachos, seemingly loaded up with cheese, toppings, the works, so he dug in. In place of delicious melty nacho cheese, there was honey mustard, one of the most sacred of Korean condiments. The "guac" was actually some sort of chopped kiwi. I can't remember how the rest of it went, but holy poo poo. Maybe there were at least tomatoes or something. Someone had clearly created it from picture alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Doom Rooster: Instead of a name, can we post a picture and have you (or someone else) try to recreate it without knowing what it is?

I forgot who the OP was and for a second I thought you were suggesting a dish called Doom Rooster.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

I'll take this one. It's currently the middle of the night, so it'll have to be tomorrow at the earliest - maybe Monday depending on when I next get to the supermarket.

Sure! Picture totally works. Tek's response proves that hilarity could ensue. Also, thanks for picking one up!

Lots of great suggestions so far. I'll be headed out for ingredients for my first round tomorrow night, with a post up on Sunday.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

I forgot who the OP was and for a second I thought you were suggesting a dish called Doom Rooster.

I really want to invent the dish "Doom Rooster" now. Roast chicken stuffed with fugu?

nah
Mar 16, 2009

a cooking challenge where someone creates dishes based off of SA usernames. yes please

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

I really want to invent the dish "Doom Rooster" now. Roast chicken stuffed with fugu?

I would be honored to have a dish named after me. Would prefer it actually get made at least once though. If you've got access to fugu, go for it! I'd probably have gone for ridiculously, over the top spicy instead though.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

a cooking challenge where someone creates dishes based off of SA usernames. yes please

This sounds fun.

Mine is 'Qu Appelle'. Go to town :)

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Grand Fromage posted:

Three options: return to the pot meat, fish smell eggplant, small fry dirt bean.

There's so much potential for entertainment with Chinese food. This is going to be great. I'm especially curious how he's going to tackle fish smell eggplant.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Astrofig posted:

Ooooh, how about a St. Louis classic, a Slinger?

Seconded.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

mindphlux posted:

handkäse mit musik - "handcheese with music"

OP, in your post suggesting this thread over in cooking cockups, you mentioned being open to other folks trying their hand at items. That still the case? Because I'm claiming this one if so.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Absolutely, please do!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Doom Rooster posted:

Absolutely, please do!

Heard. And god help us all. My twin passions are cooking and making noise, so I had to jump on this one.

Trivial Fursuit
Dec 18, 2009
Gonna go for a twofer here, and give you a main course and a dessert.

For the main course, traditional northern Swedish dish Palt. As far as I know, it's just a name, no translation availible - but there's a southern variant of it whos name would be loosely translated to Body Cake.

For dessert, Klappgröt. Literally, Pet (as in the verb) Porridge.

Attatched images to get you started.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Easy mode is the regional variant of stacked enchiladas.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
This is an American name for a regional dish from Europe, so I guess it works for either anglophones who have never heard of it, or people who only know the dish by another name: Pigs in a blanket.

I have no idea how well known that dish is, by that name or any other, and I'm quite curious to see how someone might interpret it.

Sandtrout Catsuit
Feb 15, 2008

They were all over his body now. He could feel the pulse of his blood against the living membrane.
Pet de Nonne - Nun Fart
Ropa Vieja - Old Clothes

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There's a bakery in San Jose that makes a sweet bread/cookie combination called pan de manos, bread of the hand.

It is deliciously sweet, slightly spicy, and soft. Almost like a cinnamon bun. It is also crumbly, buttery, heavy, and slightly nutty. Like a shortbread cookie.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

As a literal skeleton, I approve of this idea.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gann Jerrod posted:

I’d be interested to see what people think is in a California Burrito.

Well, I don't know what a California burrito is, but I do know what a California roll is and I know what a burrito is so I think I've got this.

So the first thing is the wrap. Obviously these aren't proper Mexican tortillas, but this is a California burrito so I assume we're not aiming for authenticity and I already had these in the house.

Now aside from the seaweed there are three ingredients in a California roll: rice, avocado and crab stick. So we'll obviously need all three of those.

I also assume that every American dish includes ranch dressing, but I don't like ranch so I'm going to use mayonnaise. I bought the fancy Japanese mayonnaise because people go on about how it's so much different and better than normal mayonnaise, but it actually tastes exactly the same.

But this isn't maki, it's a burrito, so it's going to need some salsa. But I don't think we want the normal Mexican style salsa for this particular combination of foods so I'm just going to make something I think will work with these flavours.

Also some cheese.

I may have overfilled it just a little bit.

It's 3pm and I hadn't eaten yet today, so maybe it's just the hunger talking, but that was actually not terrible? Like, not something I'll bother making again, but not something I regret either.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
You did make the thread!

God speed!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
God I want to see how you reinvent pan de manos.

A California burrito is basically a steak burrito with fries instead of rice.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 9, 2017

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

hello.

RandomPauI posted:

A California burrito is basically a steak burrito with fries instead of rice.

haha, I was all NO IT ISN'T WTF. And then I realized I was thinking of a Mission Burrito and just gracing all of California with its beauty. Also, being burritos, both of these burritos are good.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There is a California roll burrito, which is a burrito sized California roll. So it was a reasonable guess. There'd be more veggies in it though. And a mayo-based sauce.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
Place I ate at when I lived in SF:

https://www.sushirrito.com

Salmon Samba: Oven-Baked Agave-Soy Salmon, Tempura Asparagus, Namasu Cucumber, Green Leaf Lettuce, Ginger Guac, Pepitas, Wasabi Dust, Teri-Mayonesa

I feel like they had a different Salmon one when I went there, but I mostly got this one anyway:

Buddha Belly: Spicy Japanese Eggplant, Portobello Mushroom Fries, Shaved Cabbage, Julienne Carrots, Ginger Guac, Kale,
Roasted Garlic Tofu Sauce

:lol:

Jamwillinob
Jun 26, 2009
From the north east of Scotland, Cullen skink.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

Well, I don't know what a California burrito is, but I do know what a California roll is and I know what a burrito is so I think I've got this.

Superb! And so weird! You've nailed the spirit of the thread.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If this is how we start off with a relatively benign food, I can't wait for the incomprehensible poo poo.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I'm not Scottish, but I wish I were, and I'd love to see someone's attempt at making tablet.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
We used to have chocolate gravy at Sunday school potlucks as a kid.

Otherwise you could try burgoo

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Turtle Pie

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I submit Yorkshire puddings. I naïvely thought this would have the same name everywhere but it turns out foreigners are weird.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
There's a Russian dish that translates as 'Herring Under a Fur Coat'.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Jamwillinob posted:

From the north east of Scotland, Cullen skink.

From the Scottish Borders, Rumbledethumps just because it's a fantastic name to say (and delicious).

e: quoted poster's username would be...interesting.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Funeral potatoes outta be good for a laugh. Maybe.

Also American Chop Suey, which is not a bunch of fat white kids badly covering System of a Down.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Cubano Pressed Sandwitch . Or maybe Dutch Apple Baby

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
I'll take chocolate gravy

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007
How about good old British bubble and squeak? Or pease pudding? YorkLancashire hotpot?

Pseudohog fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 10, 2017

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Let's not forget jam roly-poly, most oddly-named of all desserts.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Pseudohog posted:

Yorkshire Lancashire Hotpot :colbert:

I suggest Parched Peas and also Black Pudding as other goodies from Lancashire.

From Australia how about some Fairy bread or a Halal Snack Pack?

Helith fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Jamaican patty with coco bread made, post going up tomorrow.

Need more people to join in! We've got dozens of great potential abominationssuggestions worthy of being birthed into the realm of men made.

• Locked thread