Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I wondered how long it would be until this happened. The house always wins, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

JawKnee posted:

holy poo poo

like, I like tip pooling when it's properly implemented but wow

I remember when I used to work FoH, a lot of us would informally and unofficially tip pool with BoH. Because, you know, what in the hell is FoH going to serve without BoH's help?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Hi it's me ur chef, tips plz.

I'd love that if it removed serving wages and the tip share was based on productivity. And the employer had no chance in hell of being a part of that tip pool.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Hi it's me ur chef, tips plz.

I'd love that if it removed serving wages and the tip share was based on productivity. And the employer had no chance in hell of being a part of that tip pool.

The pub/restaurant I was last working for actually did, no bullshit, give the chef tips. Rest of the back of house got less in tips too. He also got $400 a month in free beer, made 60k, and worked less hours than I did during the busy season(and I was just loving kitchen help).

Coincidentally, as soon as a new restaurant opened on this tiny island, all the back of house staff migrated to the new place, and now the pub owner(who's the reason that chef got extra special treatment) is having to hire staff from the Philippines, in the dead season of an island who's economy is 90% tourism, where people are hurting for money, because the reputation of the pub is so loving poisonous among people who've worked there.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

All of this should really lead to the logical conclusion of getting rid of tipping in general and paying employees a living wage while at the same time increasing menu prices that people end up paying for anyway in the form of the gratuity, but I feel like it's going to go in the exact opposite direction and just open the floodgates for further wage theft from those most vulnerable.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

The Midniter posted:

but I feel like it's going to go in the exact opposite direction and just open the floodgates for further wage theft from those most vulnerable.

What would ever give you that feeling? Surely not the blatant "take from the poor and give to the rich" tax "cut" floating through our legislative branch right?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Midniter posted:

All of this should really lead to the logical conclusion of getting rid of tipping in general and paying employees a living wage while at the same time increasing menu prices that people end up paying for anyway in the form of the gratuity, but I feel like it's going to go in the exact opposite direction and just open the floodgates for further wage theft from those most vulnerable.

Even with a living wage, I would still tip good service.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

The Midniter posted:

It's a Republican measure. Search your heart about the intentions and effects.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Lest anyone is confused, $7.25/hr is nowhere near a living wage anywhere in the US, and that would be the wage at which employers could begin to take tips away to "redistribute" them.

Yes, the American system is broken as gently caress, but a good first step to fixing it is not reducing the take-home pay of tipped living wage earners to poverty wages.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Wroughtirony posted:

Lest anyone is confused, $7.25/hr is nowhere near a living wage anywhere in the US, and that would be the wage at which employers could begin to take tips away to "redistribute" them.

Yes, the American system is broken as gently caress, but a good first step to fixing it is not reducing the take-home pay of tipped living wage earners to poverty wages.

That's not a bad way to fix it if the end goal looks like this:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

MohawkSatan posted:

That's not a bad way to fix it if the end goal looks like this:

:hai:

i won't just eat the rich, i'll prep and cook them for everyone else too

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SHVPS4DETH posted:

:hai:

i won't just eat the rich, i'll prep and cook them for everyone else too

Mmmmmm, rare, tender, never had to work hard rich person.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Samizdata posted:

Mmmmmm, rare, tender, never had to work hard rich person.

Probably nicely marbled too. Good food, plenty of exercise, all those things poor people can't really afford, probably makes for some damned good eating.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

MohawkSatan posted:

Probably nicely marbled too. Good food, plenty of exercise, all those things poor people can't really afford, probably makes for some damned good eating.

Nah. You don't want them to exercise too much. You DO want them massaged a lot. That's part of the secret behind Kobe. (Well that and I swear the cows are lucky if they walk 2 miles their whole lives.)

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

I am into posh cannibalism. I only eat the liver and brain.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Matlack Radio posted:

I am into posh cannibalism. I only eat the liver and brain.

Calling shotgun on heart. If it's anything like deer, then sliced thinly, dipped in flour, and then fried in butter will be magical.

Samizdata posted:

Nah. You don't want them to exercise too much. You DO want them massaged a lot. That's part of the secret behind Kobe. (Well that and I swear the cows are lucky if they walk 2 miles their whole lives.)

Okay, so less health nut, and more pampered asshat.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
while we're discussing ethically sourced Long Pig lets mention the New York Times, which is failing by the way,

https://twitter.com/drcab1e/status/939069104631287809

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

MohawkSatan posted:

Calling shotgun on heart. If it's anything like deer, then sliced thinly, dipped in flour, and then fried in butter will be magical.

Okay, so less health nut, and more pampered asshat.

Yeah, pretty much.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
i defy you to care for chickens for more than a week and think of a better descriptor for them than "pampered asshats"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Willie Tomg posted:

i defy you to care for chickens for more than a week and think of a better descriptor for them than "pampered asshats"

Entitled dinosaurs

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Willie Tomg posted:

while we're discussing ethically sourced Long Pig lets mention the New York Times, which is failing by the way,

https://twitter.com/drcab1e/status/939069104631287809

i'll ignore most of this list, but how could you ever justify time management? that's basically the crux of any position in any kitchen

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

#2 is the only one that makes any sense.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Willie Tomg posted:

They're loving brutal to each other too.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pattern recognition is forecasting.

Also hey thread I have a fun tale. So, everyone at the hospital is nice for the most part. No issues with any of them. One older lady that does Expo gets a bit frazzled at times, but she's still a good hard worker. Plus she's, nice sweet as can be.

All except one rear end in a top hat. Nobody likes him really. I don't think I've ever once seen him laugh or smile. And he does the usual smoke break shenanigans.

He also likes to talk a lot of poo poo. I take something out of the microwave or turbochef, every time "it's ruined!" I just ignore it. I typically fix or catch like 5 things a night when I have to work with him.

But last night. He finally set me off. Usually I just ignore him being a dick. Last night... I get a 9pan of peas from the freezer. He pulls a half full one out of the lowboy under the veg. And he mutters "retard" as he goes into the freezer.

I call him out on it. "excuse me? I don't appreciate you using that word. Would you like to repeat that to management?" he said sure. But of course he doesn't ACTUALLY do it. I tell the Sous about it. He knows that rear end in a top hat is a dick to everyone. He's especially nasty to the Expo lady I mentioned before. But she's asked that he not be written up about all the poo poo he's pulled. Because he'll know it was her.

So rear end in a top hat is on a real short list. I also told the Sous, no don't talk to him about it. But just this one time. If he pulls that poo poo again. His rear end is getting chewed out I hope. He's also older than me, at least in his 40s I assume, not that it excuses his constant lovely attitude or behavior.

My question then. Should I press further on this? I'm giving him the one chance to not be a piece of poo poo, even though he doesn't deserve it. Partly because I don't want to do his job, we're a little short as it is. But man, slurs are one of those few tiny things that will really set me off. I wouldn't touch him, because I'm a better person than he could ever hope to be. But man..

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 10, 2017

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
It sounds like you're going the right way with it. It's on the sous' radar, the guy is already known for being a dick. If what he takes from this is that its okay to push harder, THEN go in on the guy.

The ones who've been in Too drat Long and clearly have nowhere to go are the worst, though. I'm soon to be no longer working with one of them myself, and its just awful.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He started working there the same time I did. We were in the same orientation even. I just started a week or two later, due to being responsible and finishing out my 2 weeks at the last job I was working before.

In all that time. I got promoted once. I've worked drat near every position, out front and in the back. I've opened, closed, done all the normal prep there's *been* to do. Him? All he does is C3, the 11:30-8 room service line/close there. (Room service goes 6am-7pm, hence why it closes so early. If a patient needs food later, we have the cafe out front or there's also some food up on the floors, they just have to ask their nurse about it.)

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

https://twitter.com/SirajAHashmi/status/940064434717843456

so on whom are we placing our bets?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Batali.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alton Brown, just because the Schad would be funny. It'd suck for the lady(ies) involved, but. Mr born again self-aggrandizing turns out to not be so great.

Serious answer. Fieri.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Manuel Calavera posted:

Alton Brown, just because the Schad would be funny. It'd suck for the lady(ies) involved, but. Mr born again self-aggrandizing turns out to not be so great.

Serious answer. Fieri.

Bourdain wouldn't be upset if it were Fieri.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

jose andres would be the singularly most devastating, but i'm thinking keller.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Trebuchet King posted:

jose andres would be the singularly most devastating, but i'm thinking keller.

Eric Ripert maybe? He and Bourdain and basically best friends.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

There's a lot of people it wouldn't surprise me to hear that about, given the atmosphere in a lot of kitchens unless the chef and sous are cracking down on it. :smith:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Just a hell of a meal at Lucques. Their Sunday supper is delicious.

They have a 3.5% charge that goes to paying employees healthcare. But if you were so inclined you could bitch about it and have them remove it.

I hope you are instantly banned from the place if you do that.

Willie Tomg posted:

Hey i had chickens for years an they lived better than most people in LA...

So yeah youre right.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 11, 2017

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Timby posted:

Bourdain wouldn't be upset if it were Fieri.

Point taken.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's lovely to put an explicit percent on a restaurant bill for poo poo like that, it's management trying to drive a wedge between the customers and the employees. I don't know what the price points are at that restaurant but if it just takes a 3.5% surcharge to pay for health care that should be easy to fold into the menu price.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm legit scared it's jacques

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

well, it’s batali:

https://twitter.com/eaterny/status/940204792936267777

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Wasn't he the fat iron chef?

E: not to say that being big would've prevented him from harassing ladies, I'm just trying to place where I've heard his name before

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yup, the one with the garish neon orange Crocs.