Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

The_Franz posted:

you're right you shouldn't be holding it it should be in the trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

the default podcasts app is so bad. oh my god. it's so garbage. i tried to add more than one episode and it replaced it, and more than two requires you to go to the episode page for each one.

who designed this. maybe it's 'cause i used it in the cold.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Beamed posted:

the default podcasts app is so bad. oh my god. it's so garbage. i tried to add more than one episode and it replaced it, and more than two requires you to go to the episode page for each one.

who designed this. maybe it's 'cause i used it in the cold.

I use podcasts.app on the reg and still just randomly tap about because I have no idea how to use it

it has one of the worst designs of any apple software by far, even taking the crown from iTunes

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

all I loving want is to be able to use a podcast subscription as an alarm clock. why not done? DO SOMETHING! We

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

literally haven’t used podcasts.app in years

downcast suits my needs

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I used to file lots of bugs against the podcasts app. they never got fixed. they weren’t even really investigated. so I gave up on filing bugs and switched to overcast.
it is made by the same people who made iTunes. they’re idiots and don’t know how to make software. the whole org is an embarrassment.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

The Management posted:

I used to file lots of bugs against the podcasts app. they never got fixed. they weren’t even really investigated. so I gave up on filing bugs and switched to overcast.
it is made by the same people who made iTunes. they’re idiots and don’t know how to make software. the whole org is an embarrassment.

why is this the case?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

yeah apple is super bad at software.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

why is this the case?

because they are in the eddy cue org, not the main software engineering (Craig Federighi) org. these are the people that do iTunes, the App Store, Music, and iCloud. their management are content people, they don’t really understand software development, and consequently the org has no engineering discipline. they produce all the worst software at Apple and it seems to be intractable.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
eddy cue literally means signal to circle the drain lol

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

The Management posted:

because they are in the eddy cue org, not the main software engineering (Craig Federighi) org. these are the people that do iTunes, the App Store, Music, and iCloud. their management are content people, they don’t really understand software development, and consequently the org has no engineering discipline. they produce all the worst software at Apple and it seems to be intractable.

you are kind of correct except for the fact that iWork is a shining beacon of macOS and iOS software that all other productivity apps aspire to

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

GenJoe posted:

you are kind of correct except for the fact that iWork is a shining beacon of macOS and iOS software that all other productivity apps aspire to

that isn't any of those things they mentioned unless you specifically mean the web ver?

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

carry on then posted:

that isn't any of those things they mentioned unless you specifically mean the web ver?

iWork falls under the eddy cue org, as do some of the other productivity apps like final cut

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

iwork is p great, other than the accountants office we’ve avoided buying into MS office thanks to it

iCloud is also a pleasant surprise (most of the time, unless it fucks up for you in which case good luck)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GenJoe posted:

iWork falls under the eddy cue org, as do some of the other productivity apps like final cut

isn't final cut poo poo these days and every iwork product except presentations an outright trash fire ? to me it seems that the only productivity app on mac is omnifocus

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
no pivot tables

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
numbers looks and feels like someone dropped a table into a word document lmao

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

pages 09 was good but the new one can't even display two pages side by side

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

shrunken brain: grip tape on your iphone
galaxy brain: https://twitter.com/abstractmonkey/status/939577546613624837

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

GenJoe posted:

I can’t tell if this is sarcasm

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

Triglav posted:

numbers looks and feels like someone dropped a table into a word document lmao

yes this is literally how numbers works and it is key to u bedazzling your coworkers with elegant and beautiful documents filled w/ tables and graphs

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

idiot hell coworker: hmm i need to put up some numbers for our quarterly stats lets open up excel and create the worlds most inscrutable document that is an affront to all of humanity
gifted and also handsome coworker: im going to open up numbers and it will take two minutes to make a good looking presentation of our stats that actual humans will enjoy reading. and it will bring actual joy into their lives. and god will smile

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
numbers was actually really good until they hosed it up by making an iOS version and ruining the UI on the desktop. also I’m pretty sure iWork was always in SWE, so I don’t know why you would think it would be related to iTunes org.

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

GenJoe fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 23, 2018

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

GenJoe posted:

if it isn't obvious from the pandering i am an SWE on iWork

in order to buy this I would have to believe there are people still working on iWork, which seems dubious

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

GenJoe fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 23, 2018

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
oh cool now we're spawning more apple employee gimmick posters

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Linguica posted:

Dixie cretin seaman twitter account spotted

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Linguica posted:

probably the best loss.jpg ive ever seen

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
im a senior designer at apple. i dont wanna give away too much so people cant doxx me but lets just say my favorite dance is jive

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

carry on then posted:

pages 09 was good but the new one can't even display two pages side by side

page '17

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The Management posted:

in order to buy this I would have to believe there are people still working on iWork, which seems dubious

i use it to make better looking graphs and (pie)charts for Excel, that's it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

GenJoe posted:

if it isn't obvious from the pandering i am an SWE on iWork

oh. rebase the collaboration stuff on iwork 09 it'll be good i promise

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

GenJoe fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 23, 2018

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

The Management posted:

I remember hearing that a decent chunk of iWork is done in Vancouver, WA across the river from Portland because it used to be a Claris office. Pittsburgh too.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I remember back in college switching to iWork and immediately getting a bump in grades because even using the default templates for Pages generated essays that looked significantly better than the Times New Roman dump from Word, and all the graphs were all anti-aliased and smooth.

Unlike Word, I have never gotten a Pages document into some strange state where changing a formatting cause the entire document rendering engine to break and you sometimes have to just copy-paste all your work into a new file.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

GenJoe posted:

one of our tech leads isn't allowed to upgrade from 09 at home because his wife will just install over it with 09 whenever he tries lol

after trying to do something in the new iWork and getting frustrated with how buggy it was, my wife switched to office and iWork is dead to her now.

there’s a reason 09 is still in the App Store.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
goofus: ill just use this copy of pages that the nice young genius at the apple store suggested I buy with my $2000 Facebook machine

gallant: I'll pay a mere $100 per year to use the world-class Microsoft Office suite

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The Management posted:

numbers was actually really good until they hosed it up by making an iOS version and ruining the UI on the desktop. also I’m pretty sure iWork was always in SWE, so I don’t know why you would think it would be related to iTunes org.

lol what idiot uses numbers on iOS

I like the desktop version 🤷🏻‍♂️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I think Craig has one of the coolest jobs around but lol if he has to take work trips to Pittsburgh to check in on the iWork team.