Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

Is it no longer available on DVD? I know I got it as a digital purchase through either iTunes or Amazon.
It's in no way unavailable right now, I could buy it on 20th Anniversary Edition DVD, or purchase digitally through RiffTrax among other places. I just want to have it subtitled and nicely packaged as a part of my growing collection of reprinted volumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ringu0 posted:

It's in no way unavailable right now, I could buy it on 20th Anniversary Edition DVD, or purchase digitally through RiffTrax among other places. I just want to have it subtitled and nicely packaged as a part of my growing collection of reprinted volumes.

Looking at the MST3K Wiki, the way they have the DVD releases organized they're considering the 20th anniversary release the de facto Volume XIII. Probably because it fits both chronologically and the fact there *is* no named Volume 13 or XIII. The last Rhino version was 12 and the first numbered version for Shout Factory is XIV.

EDIT: here we go:
http://mst3k.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DVD_releases

quote:

The sets from Shout! Factory picked up where Rhino had left off with mostly four-disc collections. After the "Anniversary Edition", the numbering continued from Rhino's (with the Anniversary Edition being the 13th volume), though they switched to Roman numerals.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 7, 2017

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Thank you! I figured it would be on Volume 13/XIII, but couldn't find the list of episodes for that set.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

ringu0 posted:

Thank you! I figured it would be on Volume 13/XIII, but couldn't find the list of episodes for that set.

So at the risk of a derail I have a question.

Can any Euro goons tell me if Gypsy's name is an issue over there? Americans don't know it's offensive, so we put it in our media all the time.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I'm wondering if they're ever going to get around to rereleasing the rest of the Rhino singles

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, next year IS the 30th anniversary, so I'd image they put out a box set or two of all the old single DVDs.

e: There's nine episodes not yet in a standard four-pack that can be on DVD. Add The Shorts, Vol. 3 and you've got two five-disc sets.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 8, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Imagine if they did a (mostly)Complete series box set for the anniversary

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

drrockso20 posted:

Just season 5 would cost, like, $100.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Edward Mass posted:

Just season 5 would cost, like, $100.

Well I didn't say it'd be cheap, it would probably be in a similar price range to what the Power Rangers complete series set About Factory did a couple years ago cost

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Shout has redone all of the Rhino singles, in some form or another, except for Eegah, I Accuse My Parents, The Hellcats, and The Crawling Hand. I've always kinda hoped they'd do those as a "Volume 0".

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

VHX has a bunch of episodes digitally and they sell all of them (87 episodes) for $299.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Shout has redone all of the Rhino singles, in some form or another, except for Eegah, I Accuse My Parents, The Hellcats, and The Crawling Hand. I've always kinda hoped they'd do those as a "Volume 0".

That's what I want.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Given they re-did Eegah for the tour, I’d think maybe they might be waiting to release the live version of it.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
A better copy of I Accuse My Parents would rule, since I could never read that note the drunken mother left behind. And they carefully zoomed in on it, too!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

rydiafan posted:

So at the risk of a derail I have a question.

Can any Euro goons tell me if Gypsy's name is an issue over there? Americans don't know it's offensive, so we put it in our media all the time.

I live in the UK and I have literally never spoken to another person IRL who had ever heard of MST3K. It might be bigger now it's on Netflix, I dunno. As for the name, it's not really hit the popular consciousness that 'gypsy' is a slur. It's not unknown but people are super racist against travelling people in general so it'll be a while getting it to take. My great-grandad was Roma and the family's never referred to him as anything but a gypsy, with huge affection and respect.

Now let's talk about how saying 'spaz' is really horrible over here :D

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Artsygrrl posted:

A better copy of I Accuse My Parents would rule, since I could never read that note the drunken mother left behind. And they carefully zoomed in on it, too!

It'll never happen, but it'd be kinda neat if they did "remastered" versions of episodes, where they update the movie portion of episodes with the better quality versions that have emerged over the years for many of the movies MST3K has covered(like for example that HD remaster Manos got a couple years ago)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

drrockso20 posted:

It'll never happen, but it'd be kinda neat if they did "remastered" versions of episodes, where they update the movie portion of episodes with the better quality versions that have emerged over the years for many of the movies MST3K has covered(like for example that HD remaster Manos got a couple years ago)

Somebody did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnxVbGZNHSs

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

HopperUK posted:

Now let's talk about how saying 'spaz' is really horrible over here :D

Yeah, in that case there's a riff in I Was a Teenage Werewolf that might not go over well on that side of the pond...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oh god why was HD invented

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/jelvisweinstein/status/939534609267572736

https://twitter.com/frankconniff/status/939535572871335936

Some interesting tweets from Josh and Frank re: Jim Mallon.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Every frame in this movie now looks like their last Facebook photo.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I thought it was pretty well known that Mallon was an exploitative creep responsible for robbing the others of royalties.

This is the first I’ve heard of him being involved with anything related to MST3K since he sold his portion of the rights, though. I thought he had sworn off tv to become a grief counselor.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

HopperUK posted:

I live in the UK and I have literally never spoken to another person IRL who had ever heard of MST3K.

I'm a UK based goon and MST3K fan aswell and It really doesn't seem to have much of a fanbase over here, I remember it airing on the SyFy channel but only really got into it when I found a copy of the movie at a video shop for £2, I now have the Silhouettes tattooed on my wrist as part of a sleeve and often find myself trying to explain them to people.

It never goes well however Rifftrax seems to appeal more to people especially the trax for mainstream films.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gaz2k21 posted:

I'm a UK based goon and MST3K fan aswell and It really doesn't seem to have much of a fanbase over here, I remember it airing on the SyFy channel but only really got into it when I found a copy of the movie at a video shop for £2, I now have the Silhouettes tattooed on my wrist as part of a sleeve and often find myself trying to explain them to people.

It never goes well however Rifftrax seems to appeal more to people especially the trax for mainstream films.

Doesn't RiffTrax have two brits? I thought there were three riffing teams at RiffTrax. Bill, Kevin, and Mike; Bridget & Mary Jo; and then two British dudes I can't recall right now.

Maybe, that combined with the Internet distribution model helps with the appeal?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Proteus Jones posted:

Doesn't RiffTrax have two brits? I thought there were three riffing teams at RiffTrax. Bill, Kevin, and Mike; Bridget & Mary Jo; and then two British dudes I can't recall right now.

Maybe, that combined with the Internet distribution model helps with the appeal?

Matthew J. Elliott and Ian Potter do several Presents features.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

business hammocks posted:

I thought it was pretty well known that Mallon was an exploitative creep responsible for robbing the others of royalties.

This is the first I’ve heard of him being involved with anything related to MST3K since he sold his portion of the rights, though. I thought he had sworn off tv to become a grief counselor.

They invited him to a reunion panel seemingly specifically so they could dunk on him...?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

business hammocks posted:

Those photos are from 2008.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Speaking of Jim Mallon, I've finally seen those MST3K bot flash toons, :unsmith:

Now you all have to watch too. :twisted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP0nIMKSTz0

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

No thanks.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Suprised they were worse than expected when I heard flash toons

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I've been tasked with writing about MST3K episodes to watch for the holidays. It's a little tricky since there are only three episodes blatantly about Christmas, so I'm splitting it into three categories:

Blatantly Christmas

- Santa Claus
- Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
- The Christmas That Almost Wasn't

Sort of Christmas

- Jack Frost (apparently a Christmas movie in some countries)
- Cry Wilderness (the final scene takes place during Christmas)

Christmas-Related if You Reach Enough

- Space Mutiny (all the Cameron Mitchell jokes)

Any other episodes that come to mind?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Mitchell! John Saxon has his tree up.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Are you allowed to mention Rifftrax? Because they've got plenty of Xmas riffs. From the live Christmas Shorts Show to Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny to Santa's Village of Madness to the one with the clown from Kansas City to the Bridget and Mary Jo Christmas specials.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

TL posted:

Mitchell! John Saxon has his tree up.

Yeah, for a bad guy, he's getting a lot of presents.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

The Day the Earth Froze has a wintry setting.

Edit: Love it

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 10, 2017

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Julet Esqu posted:

The Day the Earth Froze has a wintry setting.

Edit: Love it

This is also one of my favorite episodes.
Sampo!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Fezz posted:

Are you allowed to mention Rifftrax? Because they've got plenty of Xmas riffs. From the live Christmas Shorts Show to Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny to Santa's Village of Madness to the one with the clown from Kansas City to the Bridget and Mary Jo Christmas specials.

I had done a RiffTrax holiday guide a couple years ago, which I update every year. My editor basically asked me to update that one and maybe do a separate MST3K one.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Pod people feels xmas

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders would work. I forget if the second episode part takes place around Christmas, but it's based around a cymbal monkey and there's a kid who plays around with his toys a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I think the kid got the monkey for Christmas? Though it might have been a birthday or something. Merlin does have a big beard!