Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Next program to get shut down?
This poll is closed.
for the love of god please coach k 85 53.13%
Kansas 25 15.63%
Kentucky 21 13.13%
Some MVC team that no one cares about 29 18.13%
Total: 128 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery
N: Nevada wins at UC Irvine 76-65 to move to 8-0, best D-1 start in school history

V: Game was slightly tougher than the final score indicates, but the important takeaway is Kendall Stephens finally putting together consecutive good performances (the hurtin' we put on Illinois State Wednesday evens out the week overall anyway). We might be ranked in the AP by Monday; iffy as to whether it's fully deserved yet, but still would be cool.

Next two games are against ~top 25-caliber Big 12 teams :ohdear:

SpiritualDeath fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

SpiritualDeath posted:

N: Nevada wins at UC Irvine 76-65 to move to 8-0, best start in school history

V: Game was slightly tougher than the final score indicates, but the important takeaway is Kendall Stephens finally putting together consecutive good performances (the hurtin' we put on Illinois State Wednesday evens out the week overall anyway). We might be ranked in the AP by Monday; iffy as to whether it's fully deserved yet, but still would be cool.

Next two games are against ~top 25-caliber Big 12 teams :ohdear:

Nevada is good. UNLV and Boise are good too.

:negative:

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Kibner posted:

Very bad. DRtg is good when used for lineups or a full team. It is nigh useless for an individual player.

Good. The thought of Rutgers being that good at anything was too much for my mind to handle. Does the same apply to offensive rating as well?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

PotatoJudge posted:

Good. The thought of Rutgers being that good at anything was too much for my mind to handle. Does the same apply to offensive rating as well?

No, offensive all-in-one stats are normally pretty good at just about every granularity (team, lineup, and individual). The thing with ORtg (and most of them, really), is that you also have to take into account volume/usage. A player with a high ORtg but very low usage isn't as worthwhile as a player with a significantly lower ORtg but a whole bunch of usage.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

PotatoJudge posted:

Also, the reason why there may be a bunch of Rutgers players with great DRtg is probably because they play with each other a lot and share in the defensive success of the unit.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
They're a good team defense even if you account for tempo. I think they'll finish 11-12 with a small chance to be up to 9th in the Big Ten this year and are definitely on the upswing.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 4, 2017

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Kim Jong Il posted:

They're a good team defense even if you account for tempo. I think they'll finish 11-12 with a small chance to be up to 9th in the Big Ten this year and are definitely on the upswing.

Right now they seem to have all 5 players on the court against Minnesota, classic mistake.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
UT 6-1 :getin:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
SDSU beat some guy named Bradley.

The MWC looks kinda scary.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Kibner posted:

Also, the reason why there may be a bunch of Rutgers players with great DRtg is probably because they play with each other a lot and share in the defensive success of the unit.

My criticism of ORtg is that it doesn't have any way to account for a player getting double or triple teamed or things like that so teammates of superstars ORtg usually is inflated.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

a neat cape posted:

SDSU beat some guy named Bradley.

The MWC looks kinda scary.

The disparity from the top 4/5 teams and the rest of the MWC is massive.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rick posted:

My criticism of ORtg is that it doesn't have any way to account for a player getting double or triple teamed or things like that so teammates of superstars ORtg usually is inflated.

Yeah, but you can look at USG% to mitigate that impact. Or at least balance it out a bit.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Devonte Graham changed something in his shooting motion (holding his hand up on the follow through or something). He has played two games since that change and it must have worked because he's scored 70 points.

Also rumors running around Billy Preston might finally play next game which is good considering a walk-on got 12 minutes against Syracuse.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Tennessee ranked for the first time since 2010

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Joey Freshwater posted:

Tennessee ranked for the first time since 2010

This team is pretty good, we definitely can make it to the tourney.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

FartingBedpost posted:

The disparity from the top 4/5 teams and the rest of the MWC is massive.

This is true

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/937779457078722565

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Funniest ending to this is LiAngelo going to play pro in china

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Alford’s probably relieved, tbh

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Paul Zuvella posted:

Funniest ending to this is LiAngelo going to play pro in china

nuh uh he's getting ready for the NBA according to his non-delusional father.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So while reading about LiAngelo, I found out that LaVar pulled LaMelo out of school and is training him personally? :psyduck: Good for UCLA for prob. being rid of the Ball family.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Unfortunately there is still one other kid who is still supposed to go to UCLA but the way LaVar is throwing shade on UCLA something tells me that ain't happening.

God I hate that guy. I was in a real uncomfortable position when he was going after Trump. I mean, he found the one guy.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That's why I said probably, I don't see LaMelo ending up at UCLA after this fiasco.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

N: Chris Holtmann
V: :swoon:

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

sportsgenius86 posted:

N: Chris Holtmann
V: :swoon:

Two comeback wins against Michigan in two weeks. Life is good.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

kittenmittons posted:

Two comeback wins against Michigan in two weeks. Life is good.

Too bad he lost to Butler last week. :agesilaus:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa is so loving bad. I know they lost Jok who bailed them out a lot last year but they were good in conference play last year when he got hurt so I don’t get it. The roster is pretty poorly constructed with like 15 guys who should be power forwards but ugh.

There is already a fire Fran contingent of the fanbase somehow because we learn nothing

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Lickliter may be available.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

MourningView posted:

Iowa is so loving bad. I know they lost Jok who bailed them out a lot last year but they were good in conference play last year when he got hurt so I don’t get it. The roster is pretty poorly constructed with like 15 guys who should be power forwards but ugh.

There is already a fire Fran contingent of the fanbase somehow because we learn nothing

So who's winning this game on Thursday? ISU hasn't really looked bad against any decent team, although they've been improving lately.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bird in a Blender posted:

So who's winning this game on Thursday? ISU hasn't really looked bad against any decent team, although they've been improving lately.

At this point I’d be stunned if it wasn’t y’all

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Having now seen about 60 minutes of Rutgers basketball in the past 2 days, I think they are going to surprise some teams in the Big Ten. Unfortunate for them that they had such a brutal starting conference schedule, but they seem to have taken some major steps. If they could actually make shots, they could contend for the tournament, but their shooting is just so bad.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Corey Sanders has athleticism and has gotten way better defensively, but takes horrific shots. It doesn't help they just don't have enough outside shooting. They have a few guys who have range, but no wing off the bench who can just step in and break zones. Honestly they win like 5 more games last year if they had that guy, which I know is easier said than done since that's way more valuable in modern offenses. But they've got a pulse, and now are starting to land legitimate recruits.

Part of it was Eddie Jordan was just so bad. I don't know if Steve Pikiell is any good, but like Rice, he's at least average. I hope unlike him, he's not a crazy person. But you can clearly quantify the effect of not giving a poo poo or remotely trying.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Notre Dame trailed all game and then finally lost to Ball State on a buzzer beater.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

last year, chicago state hit a bunch of insanely awesome 30-foot threes to nearly upset northwestern. this year, they might get 'em, apparently sanjay lumpkin was the most important player in ncaa basketball since northwestern can't play defense without him.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wisconsin sucks this year. About to go 4-7.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Michigan beat UCLA despite being like 4 for 32 or something from the free throw line and about 1 for 80 from three lol

actually 8-22 and 10-29 but wow I would not have marked that as anything other than a ucla blowout win with those numbers

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

iospace posted:

Wisconsin sucks this year. About to go 4-7.

Really wish Iowa wasn’t loving awful so I could properly enjoy this.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Michigan beat UCLA despite being like 4 for 32 or something from the free throw line and about 1 for 80 from three lol

actually 8-22 and 10-29 but wow I would not have marked that as anything other than a ucla blowout win with those numbers

That’s a classic Alford loss right there.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FartingBedpost posted:

That’s a classic Alford loss right there.

it’s not in the first round of the tournament though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Kansas dropping essentially two home games in a row is good as hell.

• Locked thread