Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You can click in the left stick and get an onscreen map!?!?!?

The full screen one is too zoomed in, but the little one in tandem with the compass clue helps tremendously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Tae posted:

Do we have a list of who drew who, or was Jin the only guest artist submission for main characters?

All of Torna (minus Nia and I guess their Blades?) were designed by Nomura. Everyone else appears to be by Masatsugu Saito, and then the Rare Blades have the artist listed on their entry in the Blade Album (the blade album has lots of spoilers though so be wary!)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You can click in the left stick and get an onscreen map!?!?!?

I keep doing it by accident because I'm wanting to "run" faster than what rex runs as and reset the minimap. It's pretty frustrating.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

TurnipFritter posted:

All of Torna (minus Nia and I guess their Blades?) were designed by Nomura. Everyone else appears to be by Masatsugu Saito, and then the Rare Blades have the artist listed on their entry in the Blade Album (the blade album has lots of spoilers though so be wary!)

So that’s why Patroika, et al look like they’ll start blabbering about the darkness and the heartless any second now huh

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Calaveron posted:

So that’s why Patroika, et al look like they’ll start blabbering about the darkness and the heartless any second now huh

It certainly explains the excess belts.

Knowing that it's Nomura does actually bring to mind that they look like Final Fantasy characters in their facial features compared to the rest of the cast.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
No but jokes aside knowing Nomura designed Torna is like fedex arrow, they all definitely look like definite Nomura men and women

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

It's really obvious when you look at Ahkos, because he's got the most standard Nomura Face of them all.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Torna are the best looking characters in the game by a country mile

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm amazed that someone managed to get Nomura to design a single standard uniform for them all that almost looked practical.

Can we get Square Enix to get that man in as a contractor to police Nomura on his projects there?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

TurnipFritter posted:

It's really obvious when you look at Ahkos, because he's got the most standard Nomura Face of them all.

Patroka is the one who looks the most like a Nomura young adult woman

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm amazed that someone managed to get Nomura to design a single standard uniform for them all that almost looked practical.

Can we get Square Enix to get that man in as a contractor to police Nomura on his projects there?

Yeah functional looking subtly samurai inspired armor is pretty neat looking

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I mean, Organization XIII.

Also, Nomura rules, both ironically and unironically.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

chumbler posted:

I mean, Organization XIII.

Also, Nomura rules, both ironically and unironically.

They’re literally just the same black robes with stupid hair
Torna guys armors are all different but still look like they belong to the same group

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I realize this is a switch game and all, but there have been several scenes in chapter 5 where the texture work has been godawful.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Calaveron posted:

They’re literally just the same black robes with stupid hair
Torna guys armors are all different but still look like they belong to the same group

It's the same armor, aside from Patroka, just painted in their own general colour schemes.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is there a weapon shop that sells Core Chips that can give +Strength (to at least one class of weapons) easily? I need Strength 40+ on three blades for this one Merc quest and I don't have that.

Blade strength doesn't have anything to do with chips - it increases as you unlock more of the affinity grid. Yes, this means you have to occasionally send out your best combat blades on 2 hour missions. My advice is to do that before you head off to work/school/whatever and set the switch to sleep after 2 hours.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Man the endgame starts getting XC1 as gently caress with all the callbacks that start popping up.

Malos wielding the Monado, the Torna battleship doing a form change into a Mechonis mech, the weirdly long humanizing flashbacks for the villains etc.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's the same armor, aside from Patroka, just painted in their own general colour schemes.

See that’s how better they look than the dumb black zipper robes because they at least make you think they are all different

EDIT: Also you’re wrong because looking through the artbook all the costumes are subtly different, like Malos has a chest deal and Akhos has pantaloons while Mikhail is wearing tighter pants and Patroika is wearing a quasi kimono and all their shoulder pieces are different

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Calaveron posted:

No but jokes aside knowing Nomura designed Torna is like fedex arrow, they all definitely look like definite Nomura men and women

Hahaha I didn't know this and yeah you're exactly right

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man (chapter 8 spoilers) the literal second I landed in the chapter I instantly thought "holy poo poo is this actually Shulks happytown at the end of 1?", now the characters are talking about how it's where the Architect was born and I'm just not so calmly losing my mind.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

TurnipFritter posted:

I realize this is a switch game and all, but there have been several scenes in chapter 5 where the texture work has been godawful.

The environment and world design is definitely more cohesive here, but my terrible secret is that I found XCX a prettier game overall.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dirk the Average posted:

Blade strength doesn't have anything to do with chips - it increases as you unlock more of the affinity grid. Yes, this means you have to occasionally send out your best combat blades on 2 hour missions. My advice is to do that before you head off to work/school/whatever and set the switch to sleep after 2 hours.
Oh, is it just linear in number of nodes unlocked? That's actually totally reasonable even if it's a pain in the rear end to have to send out the good stuff.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Oh, is it just linear in number of nodes unlocked? That's actually totally reasonable even if it's a pain in the rear end to have to send out the good stuff.

I'm not sure if it's linear or not, but it's something like that; the more nodes you unlock the stronger the blade appears to be. I haven't done any hard math on that though, and rare blades seem stronger by default.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dirk the Average posted:

I'm not sure if it's linear or not, but it's something like that; the more nodes you unlock the stronger the blade appears to be. I haven't done any hard math on that though, and rare blades seem stronger by default.
Certainly explains why my boy Boreas is the only one that meets every Strength requirement I've run into, because I fed him and I love him and he is a cool and strong boy and my friend

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Boreas is a girl, unless they drastically changed something in english

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tae posted:

Holy poo poo what Boreas has an actual gender?!

BOREAS YOU MY GIRL

(I guess now that I think about it yeah they must have a gender because they either count as male or female for merc quests but I never bothered to look)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

Boreas' english VA uses one of those voices that generally gets applied to younger male characters, so it's not readily apparent.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Who should I give Vess to

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Calaveron posted:

Who should I give Vess to

She's an electric blitzball healer so whoever would like that I suppose.

I gave her to 4, but I made 4 a healer.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

She's an electric blitzball healer so whoever would like that I suppose.

I gave her to 4, but I made 4 a healer.

I think you mean b-ball

I want to thank whoever translated the level 4 special as "chaos slam"

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
What are 4 and 5's default blades classes and can they swap them out?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DalaranJ posted:

Tank and Attack and maybe eventually?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

DalaranJ posted:

You can swap out the default blades for Nia, 4 and 5 in Chapter 8.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I mean, would she be a good fit for Nia

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Calaveron posted:

I mean, would she be a good fit for Nia

Yeah, Nia's got a good Blitzball moveset and lightning is a pretty rare element overall.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Also I might be counting my rare blades before I bond because they still want me to look for poo poo in Mor Ardain and Uraya and this is a very bad map system

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

I think that trust is probably one of the least well thought out mechanics in the game. Thematically, it makes some sort of sense, but the actual implementation is pretty bad. It's trivial to max out a common blade with 400 or so trust required, but rare blades and character specific blades require around 10,000 trust to get maxed out fully, and when your best non-sidequest method of gaining trust is something like 20 for a favorite pouch item or 40 for an hour + spent on a merc mission, that requirement is way too high. On top of that, as far as trust being a gating and a pacing thing, most blade abilities are locked behind unlocking a sidequest or killing a monster in a certain area; they could have easily just made the unlocks tied to quests and area-specific interactions to limit the amount of progress people could make without the arbitrary number grinding.

Plus, it leads to some really silly interactions in the game, since every new blade that joins starts at 0 or maybe 100 trust. This means that people who have been interacting with their blade for their whole lives or to the point where they are famous for how well they work together with their blade join up as complete newbies who act like they just resonated with their crystal earlier that morning.

I think the mechanic could work if all of the character specific blades had something like 5,000 trust to max out so that it's more or less guaranteed to happen with some sidequesting throughout the story, rare blades had 1,000-2,000 trust, and commons stayed at 400 or so. They also really should have had the late-game story blades that join show up with some trust in the bank, or significantly lowered the requirements.

As it stands, it's just not worth it to max any of the blades out, really. I pulled Boreas super early on, and she's still only at 7,000 trust while I'm in Chapter 8. She still has another almost 3,000 trust to go! I tested giving her her favorite food, and it gives 9 trust and takes something like 10 seconds to listen to her dialogue between being able to refill the pouch, and I can only hold 10 items at a time. I don't have the patience to go through the process of emptying out the pouch around 34 times to finish up the last bit of one blade.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Zore posted:

You can swap out the default blades for Nia, 4 and 5 in Chapter 8.

Until then it is Nia time, all the time. :getin:

Which reminds me, does anyone else have healing 'spell' arts (that is, non-potion) other than Nia?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
The heck do I get to the field of forgetfulness in mor ardain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Calaveron posted:

The heck do I get to the field of forgetfulness in mor ardain

Bridge north out of the city, there's a small underpass under it. Jump down to the collectables on the cliff you can see and then make your way to the ground. There's a tunnel that leads to the field from there.