Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Is Asphodel still dumb? I think my win (well, the game went down before it ended, but I was going to win) with d5e9 Aspho was my favorite.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Demiurge4 posted:

You got 2 slots open now, mind if I drop in this late?

Ah, just got here to say that we've started.

CrimsonWolf
Aug 4, 2007

I can not connect to he server for the dom5 newbie game.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Demiurge4 posted:

You got 2 slots open now, mind if I drop in this late?

Turns out I hadn't pressed the actual start button!
Get at me on discord and I'll get you in.
But do it quickly I want to get this started today.
edit: everyone else don't click start game!

edit2: And we're off!

uguu fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 9, 2017

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
So do all the guides for Dom4 still hold true for Dom 5? Cos they talk poo poo about MA Ulm and I'm not down with anyone dissing my dwarf Romans, but also I need actual advice for fundamentals - where to build forts in particular.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

The Deleter posted:

So do all the guides for Dom4 still hold true for Dom 5? Cos they talk poo poo about MA Ulm and I'm not down with anyone dissing my dwarf Romans, but also I need actual advice for fundamentals - where to build forts in particular.

UIm is Germans descended from Conans.

The guides may or may not hold true; Dom5 is still very new, and with all that's changed, everybody is still figuring poo poo out. That said, MA Ulm now has a reputation for being a good newbie nation, with fairly clear goals.

Forts pull in supply from neighboring provinces based on administration value. I've heard the ideal to be a high pop province surrounded by high pop provinces, not less than two provinces away from another fort. That being said, more unideally placed forts are better than fewer ideal forts for the sake of recruitment, so people will generally plop one down on the highest pop province they can when they get the funds. Also, every throne gets a fort, for the sake of defense.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

a lot of the dom4 nation guides aren't great in the first place and there are some big changes in how the game works so use them as a jumping off point

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Amuys posted:

Mermaid princess incest dating simulator 2017

I'd pay 2.99 to put this on my friend's phone

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

AI recruiting Catoblepas, Ether Warriors, Eater of the Dead??

This is a new world!
Although they won't use them properly. :P

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
I think the AI could be made alot more challenging just by giving it some preset research objectives and made to use them.

Like being told, "Research horde of skeletons, then rigor mortis and darkness, bring death mages with boosters to cast these spells on your armies"
or
"Research storm, summon storm power and thunderstrike, bring air mages and units to block., then start aiming for Fog warriors"

you could even give nations multiple different research scripts they choose at random during the game if they have multiple viable options.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying out Nieflheim in Dom5 right now and it's weird: In Dom4, just going around with my starting giants to wreck poo poo meant I'd always lose a couple of them in each battle. Only the weakest of the weakest indeps could be safely trampled.

Now I'm just ordering javelin-guys to go forward and shoot, and even dozens of archers die like chumps. There's something oddly hilarious about a dozen giants just stomping everything with zero losses, even when confronting fifty guys, twenty of them archers (in Dom4 archers always managed to kill at least some giants before being trampled).

Though it could be I'm just incredibly lucky this time and jinxing myself by posting this. :v:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Libluini posted:

I'm trying out Nieflheim in Dom5 right now and it's weird: In Dom4, just going around with my starting giants to wreck poo poo meant I'd always lose a couple of them in each battle. Only the weakest of the weakest indeps could be safely trampled.

Now I'm just ordering javelin-guys to go forward and shoot, and even dozens of archers die like chumps. There's something oddly hilarious about a dozen giants just stomping everything with zero losses, even when confronting fifty guys, twenty of them archers (in Dom4 archers always managed to kill at least some giants before being trampled).

Though it could be I'm just incredibly lucky this time and jinxing myself by posting this. :v:

Big units in general were buffed because the the penalty to being surrounded by enemy units is half of what it was in Dominions 4. Before it gave you -2 to defense for additional enemy and now it's -1 def, or something like that.
In addition bows handled by high strength units do more damage than before, that also benefit giant nations.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

is decrepus the most prolific dominions.exe fanart producer? i think this might be case

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I can't wait for some D5 LP's, because outside of the very early game I'm completely lost. MA Ulm chugging along just fine taking over independents, but quickly got beat back by the AI. I'm at a loss as to how to actually kill a Pretender. Seiged a C'Tis fort with the Pretender in it, and threw hundreds of guys at it several times only to deal no damage. Eventually sent my own pretender in (rainbow Master Alchemist, wasn't planning on fighting with him) and somehow that kept my troops there long enough for my xbows/sappers to chip away at the monolith? Completely lost there but hey, I won eventually.

Still have no idea when/how to transition from recruiting troops (black plate pikes/flails/xbows) to summoning (I was just massing summoned ogres since I had a ton of earth gems) to eventually spellcasting. For example mass spellcasters firing Iron Blizzard is amazing to watch, but I seem to kill as many of my own troops as I do theirs. But hey, I banged my head against D3, then D4, so why not keep going with D5?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
If you know the fort is otherwise p much empty, the way to kill a PG like a monolith as MA Ulm is to use the spell Shatter after closing a few times with Attack orders.

Turin Turambar posted:

I was reviewing LA Eyrtheia, and I'm not sure what to do with them.
Make Daduchos on every coast province in the game and make flaming crossbowmen + stronger hoplites plus whatever magic the enemy is weakest to. The ones with the most paths are the slaves, because that is the simplest way to deal with non-pathed fatigue penalties. Prince / princess is pretty much only useful for getting one of each as a smiter at the start of the game given they're 4rp instead of 2.

Underwater gets you a decent RP mage so it is Useful.

Absum
May 28, 2013

jBrereton posted:

If you know the fort is otherwise p much empty, the way to kill a PG like a monolith as MA Ulm is to use the spell Shatter after closing a few times with Attack orders.

I haven't really used it yet but didn't they add the Advance and cast spells order for stuff like this?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Absum posted:

I haven't really used it yet but didn't they add the Advance and cast spells order for stuff like this?
Advance and cast is not something you can script in your first 5 so it's v much a Jesus Take The Wheel option

Absum
May 28, 2013

derp yes I forgot that you wouldn't get to pick spells

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
First Dom5 mo money game is open for business :woop:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Turin Turambar posted:

In addition bows handled by high strength units do more damage than before, that also benefit giant nations.

More buffs to OP Enkidu.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

MA ulm is advantaged in that they can get citadels, and start with one for that sweet 3 commander points a turn meaning that they can roll 3 mages every two turns for more research and utility.

Having a citadel in an age when most people do not is a large advantage.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

MA ulm is advantaged in that they can get citadels, and start with one for that sweet 3 commander points a turn meaning that they can roll 3 mages every two turns for more research and utility.

Having a citadel in an age when most people do not is a large advantage.

Especially since those 3 mages are likely capable of throwing some of the best evocations in the game.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Especially since those 3 mages are likely capable of throwing some of the best evocations in the game.

Yes, ma agartha can actually get themselves citadels as well thanks to a hero, so taking luck on them can be a pretty drat good investment.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
As EA niefelheim my composition is mostly skinshifter troops and niefel jarl thugs, right? What kind of bless would I put on the latter? regeneration seems a given due to their hugeness and thus high hp per turn regenerated, does chill aura stack with their natural chill aura, or maybe enlarge to make them extra huge? Likewise with gear, is it worth giving coral blades at construction 2 for the extra hp(and thus regeneration), holy water to cut buff time by a turn,reinvigoration boots and horror helmets or save gems up for construction 4 and frost brands, all of which they can craft for themselves?

Alternatively, instead of gear, are there other early self buffs I can research for them?

Highwayleopard
Aug 18, 2017
I really want to get some good practice games in against AI, because after reading some Dom4 LPs last night, I got one hell of a hankering to try out MP for the first time. Is there a guide somewhere to help figure out how MP works? I know it's PBEM basically, but I don't want to be -that guy- and join a game only to accidentally gently caress everything up!

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
we dont really play by email in the something awful dot com dominions community. if you sign up at brainwrinkle.net people organize games on there and then use the automagic hosting service at dom5.snek.earth to make a direct connect game, which stays up 24/7 and you connect to it and do a turn and then the game sends the turn to the server, then the server "hosts" which means it plays out all of the orders everyone submitted either once everyone has submitted or once the timer has run out. Typically the timer will be 26 hours in the early game and then as long as 70+ for later game stuff that takes a long time. brainwrinkle.net will display every game you are signed up for that is currently active and if you have or have not submitted a turn yet and also how long is left until it autohosts so its very easy and convenient

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Do you have to leave the game running locally, or does it need to stay connected?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
you just need to connect to download your turn file, and then also connect again to upload your turn when you are done. generally people just connect and stay connected as they play their turn since thats easier.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

violent sex idiot posted:

you just need to connect to download your turn file, and then also connect again to upload your turn when you are done. generally people just connect and stay connected as they play their turn since thats easier.
This will incidentally absolutely rinse your bandwidth if you are in a place where that matters, whereas connecting, doing your turn, and then uploading it to the server uses very little.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

jBrereton posted:

This will incidentally absolutely rinse your bandwidth if you are in a place where that matters, whereas connecting, doing your turn, and then uploading it to the server uses very little.

Huh. Good to know if I'm ever using my phone as a hotspot to do turns on vacation.

Also, you can order mages to Attack One Turn to probably get into range

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Asehujiko posted:

As EA niefelheim my composition is mostly skinshifter troops and niefel jarl thugs, right? What kind of bless would I put on the latter? regeneration seems a given due to their hugeness and thus high hp per turn regenerated, does chill aura stack with their natural chill aura, or maybe enlarge to make them extra huge? Likewise with gear, is it worth giving coral blades at construction 2 for the extra hp(and thus regeneration), holy water to cut buff time by a turn,reinvigoration boots and horror helmets or save gems up for construction 4 and frost brands, all of which they can craft for themselves?

Alternatively, instead of gear, are there other early self buffs I can research for them?

Jarls are huge and can run with practically any buff.

Regen of course is great with their hp.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Fhqwhgads posted:

I can't wait for some D5 LP's, because outside of the very early game I'm completely lost. MA Ulm chugging along just fine taking over independents, but quickly got beat back by the AI. I'm at a loss as to how to actually kill a Pretender. Seiged a C'Tis fort with the Pretender in it, and threw hundreds of guys at it several times only to deal no damage. Eventually sent my own pretender in (rainbow Master Alchemist, wasn't planning on fighting with him) and somehow that kept my troops there long enough for my xbows/sappers to chip away at the monolith? Completely lost there but hey, I won eventually.

Another way of killing a pretender you've already cornered in its cap like this is aggressively preaching down its dominion. If its dominion hits zero, all your problems go up in a puff of smoke. :getin:

Highwayleopard
Aug 18, 2017

violent sex idiot posted:

we dont really play by email in the something awful dot com dominions community. if you sign up at brainwrinkle.net people organize games on there and then use the automagic hosting service at dom5.snek.earth to make a direct connect game, which stays up 24/7 and you connect to it and do a turn and then the game sends the turn to the server, then the server "hosts" which means it plays out all of the orders everyone submitted either once everyone has submitted or once the timer has run out. Typically the timer will be 26 hours in the early game and then as long as 70+ for later game stuff that takes a long time. brainwrinkle.net will display every game you are signed up for that is currently active and if you have or have not submitted a turn yet and also how long is left until it autohosts so its very easy and convenient

Good to know, this sounds like it'll make things a lot easier! I signed up for it, guess all there is to it is to wait for it to be accepted!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lol, is this Hero a joke?

He is a plague carrier so he will disease your own troops. You can't kill him into an enemy army because he is immortal and he will reappear in your capital, diseasing more people. And with those stats you can't make a thug to raid the enemy. I can only think of trying to give him stealth ability with a item and send it to enemy lands.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Does "Random" mean "Pick C'Tis"? I've generated ten maps so far with a Random AI, and they've all been C'Tis. Now I just accidentally selected Random for myself and got...C'Tis. Did I miss something or is there a different gamegen I should be using? I mean, that's one hell of a random generator.

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 10, 2017

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Is your system time permanently set to Jan 1 1970 or something?

Edit:
Your system dice are jammed. Shake your computer around a little to add some entropy.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

He is a plague carrier so he will disease your own troops. You can't kill him into an enemy army because he is immortal and he will reappear in your capital, diseasing more people. And with those stats you can't make a thug to raid the enemy. I can only think of trying to give him stealth ability with a item and send it to enemy lands.
He owns and has been in the game forever.

It's also really useful to have a cloud trap capable immortal since you can give him a couple of gems and make him burn any enemy army's gem supply pretty much risk free.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Turin Turambar posted:

plague carrier iirc just means anyone near him in a fight will get diseased, it isn't the population kill like with a bane venom charm. His paths are very good.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Yeah he is a solid little hero in my opinion, can cloud trapeze him around, raise skellies while chucking mind burns and paralyzes. Keep him away from your troops when in the fight and you're golden. He's like a slightly worse vampire count, immortal flying spell monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Ramc posted:

plague carrier iirc just means anyone near him in a fight will get diseased, it isn't the population kill like with a bane venom charm. His paths are very good.
Correct, it isn't the same as the reaper tag.