Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Fire in the apartment next door, guys, big hole in the ceiling, had a day.

My vote stands, I'm happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I'm fine and no meaningful damage to personal property, so it all shook out alright.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Hal Incandenza posted:

Hi hello

I feel good about YPM this game, he seems far townier than last game we played.

Keane... I am still a little put off by his defensiveness and his follow-up explanation for it. Everyone gets frustrated I guess but I have NEVER known Keane to give a poo poo if people think he is lurking when he's town. I don't feel great about him at all, and I am a little less forgiving of the gotcha on a newbie than you are, although he pulled back a bit on that (but got back on sooooo).

It's been bothering me more and more since my work hours have gotten increasingly more unusual and, I think, there has been a significant movement toward POST POST POST as a game play methodology, which is a bit off puting since it ends up with people with availability different than the norm end up getting accused of lurking. I've certainly gone through this before and if you'd like me to link you to a game I'd be happy to do it.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

GeneX posted:

Yeah, it’s an eclectic bunch.

Quid called for Asiina’s aid after flailing at YPM (and YPM getting mad at me for posting thoughts here instead of, like, a word document) so I was wondering if you saw something there; I didn’t, for the record, but Asiina’s usertitle is a riff on your username so I figured you’d have the meta-knowledge I lack.

Mona’s been the main discussion point of everyone not named YPM, and Asiina voted for him with an okay D1 case that I disagree with mostly due to gut feel from Mona’s posts (specifically, that his aggressive attempt to catch me in a lie and his post voting for no lynch stem from naivety more than scum intent.)

Quid’s posting a lot and seemingly critical of some criticism of Monathin, but that link I’m trying to figure out is tenuous at best.

Oh and ##vote CCKeane: gimme your thoughts on Asiina, Quid, YPM, and flerp, most importantly the latter three. You said, if I’m parsing right, that you thought Quid was suspicious, then dropped him out when you listed Monathin, YPM, and Flerp as your current thoughts of possible scum. Any follow up?

As a side note: I want to lynch bowmore at dayend if he doesn’t do anything

I mean, Quid was pretty much a throw away suggestion and I do have a strong bad feeling against Mona, so of course my cases are going to be focused on them (Hal while I get your point, and it's taken, I do think a game of 9 is significantly different than a game of 15, so I'm less inclined to give anybody a ride.)

YPM reads better now, Hal reads fine. Asiina is fine too. Point on Flerp stands.

Can I ask why you wouldn't vote bowmore? I'd like to hear your reasoning.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Anybody got any questions for me because I'm bearing "break out the scotch" o clock.

I don't really like scotch but beggars can't be choosers and that's what was in my flask.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

CCKeane posted:

I mean, Quid was pretty much a throw away suggestion and I do have a strong bad feeling against Mona, so of course my cases are going to be focused on them (Hal while I get your point, and it's taken, I do think a game of 9 is significantly different than a game of 15, so I'm less inclined to give anybody a ride.)

YPM reads better now, Hal reads fine. Asiina is fine too. Point on Flerp stands.

Can I ask why you wouldn't vote bowmore? I'd like to hear your reasoning.

Leaving my vote on a dude that is questionably even reading the thread doesn’t do much; I want him gone as a “gently caress lurkers(as in, actual lurkers, not people just busy irl)” policy thing, but if I’m voting for him I lose the ability to add that weight to my words and requests for clarification.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

GeneX posted:

Leaving my vote on a dude that is questionably even reading the thread doesn’t do much; I want him gone as a “gently caress lurkers(as in, actual lurkers, not people just busy irl)” policy thing, but if I’m voting for him I lose the ability to add that weight to my words and requests for clarification.

Yeah that's a good take, that reads as legit.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Hal's taking too long. I'm a little confused why he's feeling off about Keane for being suspicious of Mona and then praises Asiina for making basically the same case in his "reread." Feels like a faking mistake.

I still am skeeved out by YPM but I'm gonna assume everyone else is seeing things I'm not and trust the town here.

Keane is definitely town. I like Gene for town too. Mona I liked for town but they have basically vanished after Keane dropped his gotcha so that is probably pretty telling.

Everyone else I'm a lil shrug about. Maybe flerp is bad.

Would vote Mona, Hal, in that order.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Why do you like Gene for town? I can accept not concluding he’s scum but why town?

I would want either Gene or Mona. Gene preferred.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Quidthulhu posted:

Mona I liked for town but they have basically vanished after Keane dropped his gotcha so that is probably pretty telling.

To -attempt- to defend myself here, I realized very quickly that if I tried to talk myself through that situation at the time, I almost definitely would have been hammered on as I realized how little sense I was making with all the accusations being thrown around (including the ones on me, which I honestly can't defend because I was acting pretty stupid)

I spent yesterday mostly looking at the other people discussing the thread to see if there was anything I could put together if I removed myself from the equation for a little bit. I'm still having a hard time determining people who are for real shady but I I have at least one strong conviction I'll probably vote on here i na moment after I re-read everything.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Monathin posted:

To -attempt- to defend myself here, I realized very quickly that if I tried to talk myself through that situation at the time, I almost definitely would have been hammered on as I realized how little sense I was making with all the accusations being thrown around (including the ones on me, which I honestly can't defend because I was acting pretty stupid)

I spent yesterday mostly looking at the other people discussing the thread to see if there was anything I could put together if I removed myself from the equation for a little bit. I'm still having a hard time determining people who are for real shady but I I have at least one strong conviction I'll probably vote on here i na moment after I re-read everything.

For what it worth, you seem like a good poster and I really hope nothing here discourages you from playing - unfortunately a nine player game discourages freebies and I feel like I kind of have to vote the player I think is scummiest.

Please keep playing and I really hope you stay with the community.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

CCKeane posted:

For what it worth, you seem like a good poster and I really hope nothing here discourages you from playing - unfortunately a nine player game discourages freebies and I feel like I kind of have to vote the player I think is scummiest.

Please keep playing and I really hope you stay with the community.

No worries! I'm going to reiterate that I'm not scum but you did get me in a legitimate gotcha which threw me off, and I realized very quickly I would just be digging a deeper grave for myself if I tried to explain my actions. Backing off, even though it doesn't necessarily make me less suspicious, was the wisest course of action to me instead of saying something even dumber.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
I feel like CC’s case on Mona is just Gene but more subtle. Like Gene’s signature move is saying nothing in a lot of words, while Mona hedged his reads, which is a very newbie thing to do.

I will be watching disaster artist at deadline.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

GeneX posted:

Mona’s been the main discussion point of everyone not named YPM, and Asiina voted for him with an okay D1 case that I disagree with mostly due to gut feel from Mona’s posts (specifically, that his aggressive attempt to catch me in a lie and his post voting for no lynch stem from naivety more than scum intent.)

For the record this was basically where I was at on the first day of D1. I hadn't quite read the actual timer at the time and so I was way more hasty. I'm admittedly not used to days going for so long.

Now for an actual talk/an accusation:

- I disagree with Gene about the idea that YPM and Quid aren't both town-aligned. I think they're both doing similar things in different ways in terms of making Day 1 cases and they're arguing, but I don't think either are making 'fake cases' for the sake of presuming town.
- I feel better about Asiina after the collaboration with Keane in dunking me, because it was a pretty easy conclusion at that point.

Quidthulhu posted:

Maybe flerp is bad.

I'm actually going to try and make a case here, since I'd rather try and make my own contribution to the game then bandwagon on Quid's theory about Hal (which I feel is this more solid of the reads going around):

flerp was posting a lot on D1, and notably felt bad about voting me, but then didn't turn against me when I was making constantly scummy posts, going quiet after Quid and YPM had their little tussle and not reappearing afterwards. I feel like with how awful my behavior was I should have probably gotten lynched, but my gut instinct is that flerp was going to let me hang out to dry, and either hope I was a D1 mislynch, or, if I wasn't that my continued survival would throw off more scum behavior. With how many people were active in the thread (even with Gene defending me), I shouldn't have had a chance in hell of getting out of that without a hammer vote if flerp was trying to legitimately go town - it would have been an easy thing to jump on after both Keane and Asiina made their reads on me.

I'm going to join Quid and ##vote Hal due to their weird conflict on Keane and Asiina's dunks on me, but tl;dr I think flerp should have either voted me or defended me and instead vanished hoping I'd get hammered without them having to stick their neck out.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I hosed that entire quote up, sorry.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
im sorry ive had a busy few days and forgot about this game.

i dont think mona is scum. their case on gene was bad, yes, but it doesnt seem like something a scum would make. i feel like it was an attempt by town to catch scum out in a scum slip or something but it was wildly off base.

im rly exhausted rn and prob wont have access to a computer before deadline but im gonna try to reread some stuff

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I mean, I don't think anyone thought I was scummy from the Gene case, more the series of idiot posts after that.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Quidthulhu posted:

Hal's taking too long. I'm a little confused why he's feeling off about Keane for being suspicious of Mona and then praises Asiina for making basically the same case in his "reread." Feels like a faking mistake.

I still am skeeved out by YPM but I'm gonna assume everyone else is seeing things I'm not and trust the town here.

Keane is definitely town. I like Gene for town too. Mona I liked for town but they have basically vanished after Keane dropped his gotcha so that is probably pretty telling.

Everyone else I'm a lil shrug about. Maybe flerp is bad.

Would vote Mona, Hal, in that order.

Sorry man they don’t let me post on a plane

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Hal Incandenza posted:

Sorry man they don’t let me post on a plane

I forgot what you even wanted from me, but it was why I felt good about Asiinas case?

I thought I basically answered this anyway, but even though I didn’t completely agree with her case, I could understand her points and they seemed like genuine thoughts. I also think that while Asiina is mean I don’t think as scum she’s try so hard to fake case a new player.

I do wish she would post more regularly in here but who am I to talk

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

See but she made the same points as Keane who you said you were feeling was being disingenuously so idgi

I also don’t like that you immediately jumped to being defensive about me saying you were taking too long. That wasn’t throwing shade at you, I knew you were unavailable because you told us. I just didn’t want to wait any more.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Quidthulhu posted:

See but she made the same points as Keane who you said you were feeling was being disingenuously so idgi

I also don’t like that you immediately jumped to being defensive about me saying you were taking too long. That wasn’t throwing shade at you, I knew you were unavailable because you told us. I just didn’t want to wait any more.

Well I believe you can make the same points in different ways. There is scum making fake points and town making incorrect points. Most of the time town is still wrong in mafia, I always look at tone and intent with posts as my main reads with the actual content itself secondary. I’m pretty sure you know this about me by now!

Sorry if I seemed defensive, but in the same post you said you were tired of waiting for me you also listed me as your second scum read so you know it felt like maybe a little attacky

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Oh jeez deadline is super close. Guess ##vote Mona is all I can do

People I feel good about : Quid, YPM, Asiina (less than those other 2)
People I don’t like much so far (Keane, maybe Gene his last few posts aren’t so hot to me)
Unsure: monathin, flerp
Person we really should just kill: bowmore

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Hrmmm gene having his vote on Keane this late makes me think they are unlikely to both be scum

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Please dont let this be yet another NL in an Opop game. I swear somehow we can never kill anyone in his games

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

CCKeane posted:

Anybody got any questions for me because I'm bearing "break out the scotch" o clock.

I don't really like scotch but beggars can't be choosers and that's what was in my flask.

Hope it doesn’t smell too much like fire in your place

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

So it goes. Farewell, thread.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
:sigh:

##vote Monathin

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Sigh. Better luck tomorrow folks

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I’m disappointed in all of you.

It is now N1

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Bowmore, Town Aligned Elf, was stolen N1

It is now D2

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Good guy scum team.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I suppose I’ll be the one to rhetorically ask why on earth scum decided to gank the potential modkill.

They might just have wanted to deny info to town, though if I speculate a bit, there might be an additional possibility of them liking how discussion was going and thus not wanting to mess with it; there could be yet another wine level on top of that, with them expecting this response, but I feel like going that deep isn’t/wouldn’t be worth murdering a nobody

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Mafia edit: I guess they could also just be being nice to everyone

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

GeneX posted:

I suppose I’ll be the one to rhetorically ask why on earth scum decided to gank the potential modkill.

They might just have wanted to deny info to town, though if I speculate a bit, there might be an additional possibility of them liking how discussion was going and thus not wanting to mess with it; there could be yet another wine level on top of that, with them expecting this response, but I feel like going that deep isn’t/wouldn’t be worth murdering a nobody

Its considered good sportsmanship. I don't use it in my scumhunting, partly because all it tells you is that scum might have a vet on the team, and also because scum are trying to make the game better, which is cool and good and it would be stupid to discourage that.

Let's not no lynch again, although that was partly my fault. I still think Gene is our best candidate, with Mona being a very far second.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I honestly didn't expect to live through the night, I figured there would have been enough people to hammer me near the end of the day with Hal coming in.

I suppose I could have been the deciding vote on myself but I've always sort of considered that kind of a dick move in the other groups I've played with.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Also I still think flerp is kinda shady, his come-lately defense after I brought him up at the end of D1 didn't really address any of my own suspicions.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Monathin posted:

Also I still think flerp is kinda shady, his come-lately defense after I brought him up at the end of D1 didn't really address any of my own suspicions.

I meant to ask, why do you concede that your posts were scummy?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Your Personal Muse posted:

I meant to ask, why do you concede that your posts were scummy?

I was jumping back and forth on a lot of points, which came off as being very shifty-stanced (which in my mind is a real hint of being scummy, not just changing mind, but going back and forth repeatedly), in addition to inadvertently (sorry, Keane!) trying to play Spot The Lurker.

After I got called out by Keane/Asiina, I dropped out for a day, which doesn't do much to make myself seem -less- shady since you could say the same thing happens to a scum who goes quiet when out-foxed, but I did it mostly to see where things stood when I wasn't in the heat of the moment conversation.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Your Personal Muse posted:

Its considered good sportsmanship. I don't use it in my scumhunting, partly because all it tells you is that scum might have a vet on the team, and also because scum are trying to make the game better, which is cool and good and it would be stupid to discourage that.

Let's not no lynch again, although that was partly my fault. I still think Gene is our best candidate, with Mona being a very far second.

can u give me a quick rundown on why u think gene is scum ty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

flerp posted:

can u give me a quick rundown on why u think gene is scum ty

Sure. All of his reads were "hmmm maybe?" reads where he avoided giving a direct and conclusory opinion of anything. For example, when me and quid had our dance, he said that we were probably the same alignment without giving an indication of what that alignment was. He ha an awkward entrance with an awkward vote. He hamfistedly told us that he didn't receive a role pm (the last two are, of course, not the reason for the bulk of my suspicion). To me, he's Mona, except Mona is new and Gene has been doing this for seven years.

Monathin posted:

I was jumping back and forth on a lot of points, which came off as being very shifty-stanced (which in my mind is a real hint of being scummy, not just changing mind, but going back and forth repeatedly), in addition to inadvertently (sorry, Keane!) trying to play Spot The Lurker.

After I got called out by Keane/Asiina, I dropped out for a day, which doesn't do much to make myself seem -less- shady since you could say the same thing happens to a scum who goes quiet when out-foxed, but I did it mostly to see where things stood when I wasn't in the heat of the moment conversation.

Why do you think scum jump back and forth on their reads?

• Locked thread