Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Blegh, got Shadow Dragon and Mist Dragon both down to 33-35 seconds depending on double procs, now I just have to do a bunch of tinkering to see if I can bring that down at all.

I still need to level up a shitload of magicite to get the bonuses from that, but I'm afraid to use any of the arcana on them because everyone that plays JP keeps talking about how much of a pain in the dick leveling up the 4* magicite will be.

Shadow Dragon is especially weird because I can't really figure out who to bring to maximize my damage. My options are basically:

Marche with USB + BSB
Ramza with Shout, full dive
Cid Raines with BSB, full dive
Beatrix with BSB, full dive
Orlandeau with OSB

+ a healer (using Yshtola right now)

My strat so far is letting Ramza use Shout and then eating a black fang, but I can't figure out which 3 DPS characters to bring. Marche's USB is crazy good but seems much less impressive if I don't bring Orlandeau and Beatrix along, since Ramza will be dead and Cid doesn't benefit. Cid's damage is also insanely good, especially on double procs. Beatrix is a little slow to get started but doublecasting Guardbringers does a shitload of damage once it's up and running.

Not sure if you were asking for advice but here's a method to skip black fang and sub 30 with Raines and Orlandeau both with full holy equipment, wall, a healer, and dived Shelke.

The healer takes Orlandeau's RM3 and casts RW Fabula Raider, then protectga or shellga.
Shelke takes Mako Might/Dr Mog's for RM and entrusts Raines turn 1. Then she wraths and entrusts to Orlandeau a few times.
Raines has a 1.3x dmg RM, uses BSB turn 1 (4k * 6), then cmd1 (6k *4).
Orlandeau has a 1.3x dmg RM. He uses an attack boost turn 1, then powerchains. By turn 3 he should have a full bar from Shelke and can instacast his OSB (67k).
The wall user casts Faith (the 3* ability) on Raines, then uses wall and the other proshellga.
24k + 24k + 67k = 115k which is enough

There should be enough dps to finish him off before 30s with entrust, OSBs and cmd1s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Thanks guys, I managed to get down to 30.32 seconds lol.

I think I can swing it since I messed up the timing a couple times and probably wasted a second or two in the beginning when I wasn't sure what order everyone's gauges were filling in. I probably won't be able to do it consistently for a little while since it seems to rely pretty heavily on double-casts going off semi-reliably, but I still haven't maxed out my +holy / attack bonuses on magicite and my +holy armor options are limited to some crappy robes with no attack on them, so there's definitely room to squeeze out a bit more damage.

This game is so weird some times. Two weeks ago Shadow Dragon was the only magicite I couldn't beat at all, and now it may very well end up being the first one I can farm orbs from.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Gabaranth? I've never played FF12. His BSB any good?

That was the only thing I got on the lucky draw and it's my third dark imperil, and my first physical dark imperil...

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

pichupal posted:

I just needed a list for a reference for planning my IX pulls, thought it might help people. Dates are estimates assuming the same event order as Japan with the first few taken from reddit.

• VI (Jan 04) - Fire Focus with Locke and Terra // Fire Chain with Strago and Sabin
  • III (Jan 11) - Onion USB, CoDs Party Doom BSB, Ingus's Earth Radiant Shield BSB

drat, kinda hoping for some schedule fuckery to happen here to space these out. VI, Locke especially, is my jam. But Onion Knight is also awesome, and this would all be just after whatever we get for December Fest. My mithril will not be able to keep up.

These are thematic preference draws. Just want more relics for all of these characters.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That was the only thing I got on the lucky draw and it's my third dark imperil, and my first physical dark imperil...

The commands are old and kind of rusty: a 4-hit vanilla dark attack and a 1-hit with 20% drain. And as a character, Gabranth only has 5s in Combat and Darkness, so he's stuck with the DRK skills or Omega Drive for most higher-end stuff.

Still, it's a dark imperil and physical Dark has gotten respectable if you're willing to work on skills.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Dec 9, 2017

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

HPanda posted:

drat, kinda hoping for some schedule fuckery to happen here to space these out. VI, Locke especially, is my jam. But Onion Knight is also awesome, and this would all be just after whatever we get for December Fest. My mithril will not be able to keep up.

These are thematic preference draws. Just want more relics for all of these characters.

If you're especially into Locke, you may also consider the banner JP currently has up, https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/7gk5ix/the_returners_strikes_back_jp_megathread_vi/

It's got Locke's Ultra OSB, his USB2, his Flash Tech SB, his BSB2, and his LMR. Only thing it's really missing is his CSB. Then again, this banner will likely come just before whatever we're about to get in JP for Winter Fest. They just loooove putting FFVI events right before fests.

For JP's Winter Fest, we're at least getting the 15 Happy Gatcha pulls (75 mythril total), three lucky draws including a USB-only LD (another 75 mythril), and two banners full of "meta defining/changing" SBs from the game, at full price each (that's another 100). And then there's the actual fest banners. So if you were to pull once on everything, that's 250 mythril before you even get to the fest banners. Brutal.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Previous review: IX banner 1 relic review

Next week's event is XIII so let's take a look at banner 1. Welcome to winter wonderland.

Same disclaimer applies.

Noel USB

Instant ST Ice/NE, imperil ice, enemy atk/mag/res -50.

The debuff is crippling for content you can use breaks for though it would be nice if it was def instead of res since you're probably running him in a phys team. Imperil ice is a nice addition on a SB that does something else too and Noel can use ice twinshot to utilize his own imperil.

So this is something that's great for a breaking support to cast. Which Noel is not. He can't use support at all and only has thief 5 through RD which disqualifies him from using Mug Bloodlust. Noel is a damage dealer who got a support USB by accident.

The instant entry makes up for a lot but this isn't "an Ultra level damage relic" that a damage dealer wants. It's still good.

Serah USB

ST Ice/NE, En-ice, self hi-quickcast 1 and ex-farseer (mag+30 gain hi-quickcast 1 after using ice).

The effect sounds oddly familiar and the reason is that it's the exact same text as Lightning USB except it's ice and mag.

You improve your damage with enice and as long as you're using ice abilities (and why would you stop) you have permanent hi-quickcast which means triple cast speed. That's not only abilities, feel free to cast ice soul breaks to keep the quick cast chain going enabling her as a viable entrust target.

Lightning's USB is top tier lit SB and thus this is a top tier ice SB.

Unfortunately they forgot to copy the +elemental damage to the relic itself.

Snow USB

ST Ice/NE, party Ice Radiant Shield, self Revenge Counter (2xST 1 potency attacks when taking BLK/PHY damage).

Ice Radiant shield means it reflects 75% of damage taken back as ice damage. Normal RS is 100% reflection but since the damage is ice you can boost it with imperils on the enemy or enice or other elemental boosts on yourself.

Oh boy. Let's get the silver lining out first. If you have the Ice Chain (Snow/Rinoa) the good news is that ice radiant shield interacts extremely favorably with it. Every reflection adds to the chain.

However outside of ice vulnerable fights you'd rather just have a proper RS rather than this element specific one. Additionally if you get Snow's Ice Chain are you really going to use this with it?

Another issue is the Revenge Counter which is supposed to be the EX mode here. Tauntaliate or Grand Cross don't silver bullet blank fights anymore because bosses do NAT damage instead which doesn't trigger the counter. Looking at the 3* and 4* wind magicite fights the amount of counterable things is pitiful. Magicites aren't the only fights in the game but getting the full potential from this is too difficult.

I like Ice Radiant Shield but Revenge Counter drags this down too much. Decent but keep in mind the potential with Rinoa CSB.

Serah BSB2

Random Ice/NE, Imperil Ice.

CMD1 quickcast 4x ST Ice/NE
CMD2 quickcast 2x AoE Ice/NE

Lightning BSB2 as ice and magic form. Ability update really took value out of Lightning's BSB2 and this coming in fresh right now is kind of a weird move.

If you're extremely poor orb wise this is the best thing you could have since the imperil entry makes your ice attacks generate more gauge from hitting a weakness and the quicker casting commands mean you get more attacks in. You can easily chain this BSB without ever casting any abilities after the first cast.

If you have the ability Chain Blizzaga with reasonable amount of hones this becomes "decent".

Noel BSB1

5xST, Full Break.
CMD1 1x ST Power Breakdown
CMD2 1x ST Magic Breakdown

So he has a support BSB too. This is absolute garbage with the entry being Full Break and the commands 4* abilities. The relic you don't want to pull in this banner.

Snow BSB2

Party atk/mag +30 and haste.
CMD1 4x ST Ice, 5x if enemy vulnerable to ice
CMD2 2x AoE, self def +50

That entry sounds oddly familiar too what with it being OK's Vessel of Fate. While you probably don't want to run VoF as your A-team buff three months from now it's still a great effect and will serve your B/C/D-teams well in Crystal Tower. That being said it's still absolutely viable if you have no other buffing hastegas.

Comparing 5hit CMD1 to the ice monk ability icicle rush is pretty much a tie so this is a nice way to save hones without losing effectiveness as long as you're facing an ice weak foe. CMD2 gives an AoE option.

Good.

Vanille BSB

Instant party curaga self +30 MND.
CMD1 damage enemy for no damage and res-30
CMD2 medica

An ancient BSB medica. Instant entry is great, +30 MND buffs your healing and CMD2 is a medica like every other CMD2 in healer BSBs. This is still acceptable even if it doesn't have a CMD1.

Great. This gains bonus points for being Vanille's best relic and that means it's the best XIII healing relic.

Noel LMR

+ice wrist. +20 damage with swords.

Support soul breaks and a damage LMR. Decent, he can't utilize it too well despite the good effect..

Serah LMR

+ice light armor. 25% chance to doublecast ice.

Excellent especially in tandem with her USB. For some reason is an ice bikini or something

Snow LMR

ATK+3% from each hit taken up to +35%. A weak effect that takes too long to even resemble something useful. Garbage.

Noel SSB

Instant 6xST, self Instant Cast 2

Tales from discord say this could be used to stunlock bosses for easy wins and then every boss became immune to stun. So thanks for ruining that for the rest of us Noel.

Acceptable CM tool for dealing damage. Sharpshooter access and abilities being more powerful means this effectively got buffed.

Serah SSB

Party mag/mnd +30 and haste.

Sage shout. Good CM tool and an acceptable SB if you need that fourth hastega for Crystal Tower. Decent.

Not a fan. For ice damage I'd wait for an ice themed banner featuring other big hitters, especially Rinoa. It's a shame they didn't patch it up with more +ice on the relics themselves.

0 dupes, pass.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Welcome!

Blow all your mythril on the FFTA banner that features Ramza, Agrias, and Marche. Unlock all 3 of those characters in the event and build your A team around them. That banner is the best one we'll see for a while and it has tons of fantastic stuff for new players.

How'd I do

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
'aight, since NZT is explicitly skipping reviewing the second event banners, I figured I'd provide some commentary on those. Seems like we have a bunch of newbies around right now, who could use opinions on this stuff.

So let's take a look at the second FFIX banner for Ballad of Memories. First banner covered by NZT here!

Zidane USB, Masamune
- 10x random single target Wind/NE physical attacks, Imperil Wind, self EX Mode "Master Thief"
- Master Thief chases Thief abilities with a Wind/NE physical attack that has a chance to apply minor Imperil Wind (35%)

Zidane USB is a pretty good one. While it does less damage than actual pure DPS oriented USB, it is a great asset for a wind focused team. Between the Imperil entry and the chases triggered by speedy Thief abilities, Zidane can stack a whole bunch of imperil pretty easy. Works best if paired with the 5* Thief ability Dash & Slash, so Zidane can also exploit the imperil himself. Verdict: Good boon for a wind team.

Kuja OSB, Demon's Rod
- 1x ST Dark/NE magical attack with 99,999 cap. Increased damage Kuja is doomed.
- Demon's Rod has +Dark damage%

I fully admit to not liking OSB very much, and I think this banner having two of them is a pretty good argument against it. Damage oriented USB are the way forward when it comes to DPS, and OSB are slowly getting left behind. That said, they still do some work when you can pair them with the appropriate EnElement, +elemental damage% gear, and Entrusts/Quick casts. Kuja's OSB is actually pretty decent. It has a very easy way to increase the damage via Memento Mori, +Dark% is common on gear (This rod already comes with it!), and he has a couple of options for EnDark. (One on this banner!) Verdict: Good for an OSB

Steiner OSB, Break Blade
- 1x ST Fire/Lightning/Ice physical attack with 99,999 cap. Increased damage if hitting a weakness.
- Break Blade has +Fire% under realm synergy.

Here is an OSB that I very much do not like. While it's easy enough to get the increased damage by hitting a weakness, Steiner has much more trouble with gaining access to one EnElement, let alone three. He can get EnFire from his old BSB1 that is not featured on either banner, and the rest are all on his USB, on the first banner. And if you're pulling for Steiner, you're probably better off just trying to get that USB instead of this. Overall Steiner just suffers from being a jack of all trades, but a master of none. That also applies to this triple-elment relic. Verdict: Pass

Marcus BSB, Platinum Dagger
- 6x AoE Wind/Poison physical attacks, -50% Mag/Def, self Burst
- Command 1: 2x ST Wind/Poison physical attacks, Magic Breakdown.
- Command 2: 2x ST Wind/Poison physical attacks, Armor Breakdown.
- Both commands Thief-speed.

New entry to this event, Marcus, gets his first relic. These DPS/Breakdown hybrid bursts have been around since Vaan's ancient BSB, and they're always handy to have around for content where you can benefit from the stacking debuff on entry + commands. Marcus' version is a tad awkward because the entry isn't instant cast, and because the dual element is bad for omniresistant bosses. Sadly poison is also the least useful element in the game, given how rare it is as a weakness. But he does gain AoE damage and 2x hitting commands, so it's not all bad. Verdict: Solid, but potentially useless in some content.

Zidane BSB2, Sargatanas
- 9x random ST Wind/NE physical attacks, self EnWind and Burst
- Command 1: 2x ST Wind/NE attacks, gain a stack of stolen Atk (-10% enemy, +10% Zidane), up to three stacks.
- Command 2: 2x ST Wind/NE attacks, spend all stacks to buff party 10%/20%/30% depending on the amount of stacks.
- The +Atk% buff from the commands will stack with absolutely everything except itself.
- Sargatanas has +Wind% under realm synergy.

Zidane continues to be a weird DPS/party support hybrid with this neat BSB. Doesn't do amazing damage, but it comes with an entirely unique way to buff your party of physical attackers. Unlike most buffs, that +Atk% has a completely unique ID and stacks even with other singular +Atk% buffs. That being said, it's not super hard to reach high attack values by using more traditional means, and ramping this up takes a good while. This burst is also a source of EnWind for his USB use, if needed. Verdict: Interesting but unspectacular.

Kuja BSB, Terra's Legacy
- 8x random ST Dark/NE magic attacks, Imperil Dark, self Burst
- Command 1: 4x ST Dark/NE attacks, higher damage if Doomed
- Command 2: 2x AoE Dark/NE attacks, higher damage if Doomed
- Terra's Legacy has +Dark%

Not much to say here. Old and fairly vanilla, though it'll get the job done. Imperil is slightly worse than having EnDark on this would be, but Memento Mori, in to BSB, in to command or Dark Zone spam will do perfectly fine damage. Verdict: It's ok.

Beatrix BSB, Lightbringer
- 4x AoE Holy/NE physical attacks, Imperil Holy, self Burst
- Command 1: 2x ST Holy/NE attacks, self Sentinel
- Command 2: 2x ST NE attacks, self +Res 40%
- Lightbringer has +Holy%

Another very old burst, though a perfectly serviceable one. These days you probably won't be using this to do damage, but Imperil will still be relevant, and Sentinel from the first command can be used to beef up the Guardbringer skill. But ultimately Beatrix is probably better off using her skills, rather than any commands on this thing. Verdict: Old but still ok.

Zidane LMR, Zidane's Gloves
- 35% chance on Thief skill use to gain 2x faster cast speed on next action.
- Gloves have +Wind%

Decent enough LMR, that is mostly intended to play well with his USB and BSB2. It's also a decent DPS increase and comes on a +Wind% armor. Verdict: Pretty handy to have, but need other Zidane relics.

Steiner LMR, Gold Armor
- 20% to apply minor Imperil Fire on spellblade use.
- Has +Fire% under realm synergy.

Slightly confused Steiner relic. While the rest of this event has started moving him towards a flexible triple-element angle to spellblading, this LMR takes him back to his BSB1-era fire focus. As such this is a pretty mediocre effect that doesn't play well with his new toys, and is very unspectacular when used alone. And to make it worse, the armor doesn't even give +Fire% outside synergy. Verdict: Probably the worst item on the banner.

Kuja LMR, Chosen of Reno
- Start battle with EnDark.
- Has +Dark%

Kuja gets the best LMR on the banner. Very simple effect, but one that works well with everything he has. EnDark on a Darkness 5* caster is especially nice, since you can start doing heavy damage right out of the gates with just Memento Mori and Dark Zone, without a single SB required. Verdict: Rather strong.

Marcus SSB, Marcus' Bandana
- 6x AoE Wind/Poison physical attacks, Pentabreak

I absolutely loathe SSB's these days, but even I have to admit that this banner has a decent pair of them. Marcus gets a solid AoE attack that comes with a supporty Pentabreak (-Atk/Def/Mag/Res/Mind break). At the very least this would be a great tool for FFIX Cid's Missions. Verdict: Decent for a SSB.

Beatrix SSB, Ragnarok
- 8x ST NE physical attacks, Magic Blink 1 to the party.

Actually a very strong SSB, to the point where I feel that it's better than some of the BSB on this banner. Magic Blink 1 is an incredibly powerful way to mitigate damage in magic heavy fights, and this one comes attached to a character that can build up SB bar easily with Lifesiphon or hitting a weakness. While you'll outgrow this effect eventually , spammable blinks should not be underestimated. And much like Marcus' SSB, this is a strong CM item too. Verdict: Probably one of the better relics on this banner.

Final Verdict: At the end I can't recommend this banner too much. While it has some nice items like Zidane USB, Kuja's kit and that Beatrix SSB, the overall power level of the banner is pretty weak. Banner has double OSB in the 6* slots, Steiner and Marcus are elementally confused, and Beatrix's stuff is all old. But what really kills this for me is how the banner is stuck between the massively strong FFTA event, the much better first IX banner, and upcoming Christmas events. So unless you really like some of the characters here, I'd give this banner a hard pass.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 9, 2017

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Ya did very good!

Ramza BSB is a hastega (party haste) and attack booster rolled in to one, with some solid DPS attached. His SSB is also a strong buff later on, when you can juggle both of his SB more comfortably.

Agrias BSB is a tad old now, but she is a great character with very diverse skill access. The Holy Imperil also synergize well with both Marche and Ramza.

Marche BSB is probably the weakest thing out of what you pulled, but it'll still be valuable early on. He provides stat buffs that stack with Ramza, and he can take advantage of the Imperil Holy that Agrias provides. So while you'll eventually replace him, right now he plays really well with the other two.

Pulling again on that banner is still something worth considering, though you'd already have four dupes. All the USB for the three characters are super good (especially Marche and Ramza), and their Legend Materia would synergize with their BSB really well. It'd be a bit of a gamble and you'll be in a hurry to get the mythril, but the results could be very strong. Alternatively you can wait for a few months for the next FFT event, where most of the goodies come back again.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Bell_ posted:

A lot of it might come down to who else you have.

I run
Orlandeau - r2 Powerchain, R2 Saint Cross | Truthseeker (Cloud 99 RM) | OSB
Onion Knight - r5 Wrath, r2 Entrust | DMT | N/A ; Shelke is probably a better choice. OK's speed at 99 is 175, and Shelke's is 183 at 93.
LD Agrias - r2 Divine Cross, R4 Guardbringer | Azure Blade (Cecil 99 RM) | USB, OSB, LMR ;You could probably use her BSB and/or substitute Beatrix if you have her SBs
Ramza - r5 Wrath, r2 Entrust | MM | BSB2, LMR ; USB would be a bonus but not mandatory, Can get away with Shout since he's an entrust bot anyways
FF1 Sarah - r4 Protectga, r2 Cureda | Gathering Storm | BSB for Magic Blink ; Wrathin' Rosa could possibly work, but Sarah makes it easy

RW: Wall; Magicite: Endiku

Turn 1 is always Cid using Powerchain, OK entrusting him, Agrias using Divine Cross, Ramza buffing with Boostga and Sarah dropping Wall
Turn 2 Cid uses OSB, OK wraths, Agrias uses Guardbringer, Ramza wraths, Sarah casts Protectga - Fang is pretty much skipped!

From there:
If Cid's SB bar is low, have him use Saint's Cross. If it's very close to filling a bar, use powerchain instead. OSB whenever you can.
OK can entrust even partial bars to Sarah to get her BSB started and she'll keep the party up. Otherwise, SB can be fed to Orlandeau or even Agrias
I have Agrias USB for enholy and knight damage. If I get her extra meter I spend on an OSB, and she usually caps damage late.
Ramza wraths and entrusts. When reapplying the buff, if you have the USB it might be worth using that over boostga because of insta-cast.
Sarah applies mitigation and heals, whether it's Cureda, BSB or using Endiku. Using the BSB medica gives extra staying power on top of the magic blink and she'll generally keep the party out of trouble.

There's a few ways to skin this cat; it's the one I use.

Quoting this so I can find it later. Thanks!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Attestant posted:

Steiner OSB, Break Blade
- 1x ST Fire/Lightning/Ice physical attack with 99,999 cap. Increased damage if hitting a weakness.
- Break Blade has +Fire% under realm synergy.

Here is an OSB that I very much do not like. While it's easy enough to get the increased damage by hitting a weakness, Steiner has much more trouble with gaining access to one EnElement, let alone three. He can get EnFire from his old BSB1 that is not featured on either banner, and the rest are all on his USB, on the first banner. And if you're pulling for Steiner, you're probably better off just trying to get that USB instead of this. Overall Steiner just suffers from being a jack of all trades, but a master of none. That also applies to this triple-elment relic. Verdict: Pass

That's where we'll have to disagree - as a standalone, Steiner's OSB is one of the best; as far as elemental OSBs go it only loses out in potency to Orlandu's, and you can bring Steiner to hit three different weaknesses. If you do have his BSB1 then it's the strongest Fire physical OSB, and it's still one of only three Ice OSBs (the others being Squall and Ayame). Also note that you can make a poor man's Enspell with his Trance; while it's weaker than an Enspelled OSB, it gives him some guaranteed power that's not dependent on pulling a certain relic.

Also, Steiner's USB can be pretty tricky to work with at times - you have to set it up yourself, and while you can get some great power out of it, spamming his USB is actually weaker than OSB spamming even if you Enspell him. I'd be happier pulling his OSB than his USB.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

That is an AWESOME pull for a new player! Congrats!

If you can pull again I recommend doing so. Drain all your mythril on this banner. I'm not kidding.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Unless you'd also like some nostalgia with another final fantasy game that isn't FFT. I love FFT so I made 2 pulls on this, but you don't have to. There is always a war between pulling for things that are good, and pulling for things for our favourite characters. Don't feel pressured to pull just because its a great banner mechanics wise.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

ApplesandOranges posted:

That's where we'll have to disagree - as a standalone, Steiner's OSB is one of the best; as far as elemental OSBs go it only loses out in potency to Orlandu's, and you can bring Steiner to hit three different weaknesses. If you do have his BSB1 then it's the strongest Fire physical OSB, and it's still one of only three Ice OSBs (the others being Squall and Ayame). Also note that you can make a poor man's Enspell with his Trance; while it's weaker than an Enspelled OSB, it gives him some guaranteed power that's not dependent on pulling a certain relic.

Also, Steiner's USB can be pretty tricky to work with at times - you have to set it up yourself, and while you can get some great power out of it, spamming his USB is actually weaker than OSB spamming even if you Enspell him. I'd be happier pulling his OSB than his USB.

That is also a fair take on it. My disdain for OSB is definitely colouring my opinion on it. And with the skill buffs, I am valuing them less and less over USB and BSB that can provide longer term buffs instead.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Attestant posted:

Ya did very good!

Ramza BSB is a hastega (party haste) and attack booster rolled in to one, with some solid DPS attached. His SSB is also a strong buff later on, when you can juggle both of his SB more comfortably.

Agrias BSB is a tad old now, but she is a great character with very diverse skill access. The Holy Imperil also synergize well with both Marche and Ramza.

Marche BSB is probably the weakest thing out of what you pulled, but it'll still be valuable early on. He provides stat buffs that stack with Ramza, and he can take advantage of the Imperil Holy that Agrias provides. So while you'll eventually replace him, right now he plays really well with the other two.

Pulling again on that banner is still something worth considering, though you'd already have four dupes. All the USB for the three characters are super good (especially Marche and Ramza), and their Legend Materia would synergize with their BSB really well. It'd be a bit of a gamble and you'll be in a hurry to get the mythril, but the results could be very strong. Alternatively you can wait for a few months for the next FFT event, where most of the goodies come back again.

Excellent! Good to hear it wasn't garbage. Not enough mythril to pull again so I shall make do. Hooray!

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Attestant posted:

'aight, since NZT is explicitly skipping reviewing the second event banners, I figured I'd provide some commentary on those. Seems like we have a bunch of newbies around right now, who could use opinions on this stuff.

Good stuff.

I've always liked how Kuja just didn't want the short end of the OSB stick and decided he will have the additional multiplier against every fight. Flare IX.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Before the ability buff, Kuja BSB command 1 was like a 4 hit Dark Zone. Now it's just a worse Dark Zone.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Nihilarian posted:

Before the ability buff, Kuja BSB command 1 was like a 4 hit Dark Zone. Now it's just a worse Dark Zone.

Yeah, BSB commands like it are pretty much obsoleted by ability buffs. But those are still nice to have when you're new, or otherwise limited by hones.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

One thing BSBs are still good for is if one of the commands replicates an ability effect, especially if it's an ability that character doesn't have access to. Beatrix's BSB CMD2 is great because it frees up a slot for something else if you're using her for Guardbringer spam. Cloud's BSB2 CMD2 is great because he doesn't have access to Dark Bargain. BSB commands that are just straight up damage are mostly garbage now.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

There's also Burst Commands that buff an ability school, like Ricard's BSB C2 giving Dragoon Damage or Bartz' BSB3 C2 giving Spellblade Damage. Anything with an EnElement on entry is also going to stay relevant forever even if you never use the commands at all. Beyond those there's also the Bursts that are just really powerful and manage to stay relevant on their own merits like Master/Yang/Josef, Raines, and Ignis for the most recent JP release.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the vivi bsb i got off the ix pull seems pretty good for any fight with a rotating weakness since it lets him do fire/ice/lightning on command one. it having a party wide mag/res?? i forget the other buff is also pretty good, and even if his command one isnt relevant at all the command two is a self magic buff which basically puts him at two stacking faith buffs on one item which seems handy.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Found it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5f6DR-HlmQ

Now that I look at it again I don't even think their Shelke is dived, looks like this was done before her dive even became available in global.

It's also a sub-30 clear so if you're just looking to beat it period then you should have a lot of wiggle room.

Thanks for this. I was able to almost perfectly copy this team, except I didn't have Agrias OSB so I used WoL OSB (which only hit for like 54k with crit, guess I need a different RM). First time clearing Shadow Dragon so now all the magicites are cleared, and it's my first time getting a sub-30 on any of these.

The worst part is having to pray that Orlandeau hits that first crit. I had to restart 4 times before he finally hit it. My Shelke isn't even LD'ed either, because I don't have the 4* Vit motes to get to her dive (gently caress Berserker spheres forever)

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Who's pumped for tonight's Crystal Tower? Supposed to be still the hardest one yet in JP.

Personally,I'm doing Diamond Weapon first with my A team and then dealing with the others with my bench.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Ooo, an ill-advised dollar pull on IV’s crystal banner got me Edge USB. Time to hone the hell out of my water ninja abilities. Looks like Bartz and Tidus have a new sneaky swimming buddy.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Thundercracker posted:

Who's pumped for tonight's Crystal Tower? Supposed to be still the hardest one yet in JP.

Zero interest. The first one felt awful and unfun. I don’t think I’ll bother with this one at all.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I had fun with the first one except for the Adel fight, this one sounds awful but I need those 5* motes so I guess I'm gonna give it a whirl.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Thundercracker posted:

Personally,I'm doing Diamond Weapon first with my A team and then dealing with the others with my bench.

That would be my recommendation as someone who did it JP side. The other fights weren't easy by any measure but Diamond Weapon is the one that's gonna give you the most trouble, do it first with your heaviest and fastest DPS and then cobble together what you've got left for the others.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Dollar pulls:

FFIV - FFXII c/p weapon *fart*

FFVII

I guess I should know who the gently caress Shelke is now.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

imperils are amazing.
a 4 hit ninja-speed command 1 is sick, he can stay in bsb mode without ace striker. i dived my gab and he owns with his usb+bsb. every turn does more damage!

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

I went a little too top heavy with diamond weapon because he wasn't hard at all and I kept having to reset and try random characters with barbariccia

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Mastered the Crystal Tower in a single run as well:

Diamond Weapon was easy with a stacked team and Cloud doublecasting USB powered Omega Drives. Equipping fire resist accessories does a lot to neuter his attacks.
Mateus was no problem because I pulled 4 times on the FFTA banner and had most of the goodies so it was a holy team stomp.
Had to reload a few times on Yojimbo because he kept smacking Yuna before mitigation was fully up, and the dog would silence her despite having a major resist accessory equipped.
Barbaricia isn't too bad if you use the all backrow strat and have at least 1 dragoon.

Clearing the Cid's missions for the motes allowed me to do this:

:getin:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

CT has Yojimbo? I wasn't able to complete the d220 A+ for him last time, I could only do his JS :\

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
how many fuckin times do I have to fight Mateus this week, jesus christ

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

I like CT.

I don't like Barbariccia's tornado form lottery.

Up to 1250 5* motes now

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Shock Trooper posted:

how many fuckin times do I have to fight Mateus this week, jesus christ

Not as many times as we've had to fight stupid loving Bart.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Looking at what I left on the bench for CT it seems I should try and add additional depth to SBs that provide a buffing hastega since there's only Ley Lines left to use (and to be fair it probably should've been used instead of Tyro USB2 but it didn't fit well with the teams I made).

LD Ysh and like five other top healers still left unused so that's probably fine. Additional top tier DPS USBs would be nice but that's easier said than done.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

So I pulled Edge's SSB a long time ago (Party Last Stand/Blink/Hastega). I dunno if it's just because Ninjas get better over time and the LD is strong but I'm starting to realize he is probably strong enough to use with only this SB? Motes are starting to get easier to find too. Only issue is how many dark orbs I would need

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
My first 6* dollar pull:

Pretty rad since my Edward has his BSB and was the bard I gave Allegro con Moto to.

Not really sure why this is a USB though since it doesn't seem a whole lot better than Papalymo Ley Lines SSB.

I'm not complaining though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
MAG/MND/RES is a unique buff ID, unlike Papalymo's since plain +MAG is pretty common.

Edward can also Wrath so that's cool beans.

• Locked thread