Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I’m the Twitter and Denial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Someone spent a lot of time making a totally useless infographic.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

What are some of the higher quality coffee pods? I realize that's an oxymoron for the most part, but which would make a better gift?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

There Bias Two posted:

What are some of the higher quality coffee pods? I realize that's an oxymoron for the most part, but which would make a better gift?

For what machine? Nespresso or keurig or?

I think keurig all tastes pretty lovely.

For Nespresso, I’ve only used the actual Nespresso brand-all of which have been pretty good.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

There Bias Two posted:

In the UK, Pact Coffee sell pods of their coffees. That's probably the best quality you can get for pods. I'd look around at your local roasters and see if they offer something similar, or some other good roaster that can post to wherever you are.
https://www.pactcoffee.com/coffees

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

nwiniwn posted:

For what machine? Nespresso or keurig or?

I think keurig all tastes pretty lovely.

For Nespresso, I’ve only used the actual Nespresso brand-all of which have been pretty good.

Keurig, in the US

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

There's also Coffee Pods or ESE pods, though not a lot of machines use them. They're kind of like big teabags but the real advantage is that they are compostable, and the packaging is either recyclable or compostable.

For k-cups (blech) the Marley Coffee offerings are pretty good, as are some of the Wolfgang Puck (which also can be found in coffee pod format above).

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

There Bias Two posted:

I remember hearing good things about San Francisco Bay coffee pods, particularly their Fog Chaser dark roast. It may just have been about their gimmick (No plastic undercups, so they'll need a resealable airtight storage solution when opened)

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
To me, the biggest problem with K-cups is the amount of coffee in them. A k-cup only contains about 9-10 grams of coffee which is about enough to properly brew maybe 5oz of coffee, so unless you're brewing on the smallest cup size, you're woefully overextracting the coffee. Most people don't only want 5oz of coffee so they're brewing the larger size.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I just wanted to make sure this gets posted at least one more time in 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl8hPfs3o8c

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

rockcity posted:

To me, the biggest problem with K-cups is the amount of coffee in them. A k-cup only contains about 9-10 grams of coffee which is about enough to properly brew maybe 5oz of coffee, so unless you're brewing on the smallest cup size, you're woefully overextracting the coffee. Most people don't only want 5oz of coffee so they're brewing the larger size.

And Nespressos have like 6g of coffee. It's a big disappointment if you're used to those 25g of beans at coffee shop espressos.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Archenteron posted:

I remember hearing good things about San Francisco Bay coffee pods, particularly their Fog Chaser dark roast. It may just have been about their gimmick (No plastic undercups, so they'll need a resealable airtight storage solution when opened)

Yeah. And, they're also "bold" so they have more coffee in the pod.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I'm trying to find a good way to make coffee at work instead of drinking just tea.

I was going to get a French press, but how good would stuff be out of an hario v60 if I use pre ground coffee? Does pour over need freshly ground coffee more than a French press?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Fresh ground is just as important for pretty much any method. I'll make cold brew if I have some crappy old beans though.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Yeah I know it's important for everything but it's not possible at work. If I can enjoy a French press of pre ground can I expect similar result from a pour over?

For example I think espresso really really need fresh coffee while like I said French press does an ok job with older stuff

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
What about a hand grinder? That's probably one of the few situations I would consider buying one.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Any good ones under 50$? Would I spend 5 minutes grinding like a mad man?

Might go hand grind and aeropress actually. French press are a Bitch to clean at work, and pour over is a bit involved and might be hard with a cheap kettle

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just get a clever dripper. It's an immersion brewer just like the French Press so it doesn't need a pouring kettle. I've used the mini porlex grinder and it has worked ok. I like that it's easy to take apart to clean. But manual grinding really sucks unless you have a LIDO.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Dec 12, 2017

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

KingColliwog posted:

I'm trying to find a good way to make coffee at work instead of drinking just tea.

I was going to get a French press, but how good would stuff be out of an hario v60 if I use pre ground coffee? Does pour over need freshly ground coffee more than a French press?

Do you have a decent grinder at home? Grind a measured amount in the morning, put it in a sealed container and take to work for your pour over/french press.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I do, but it's set up for my espresso machine. I'm not an expert yet so I don't feel like switching setting every day. That and all the lost coffee when you change settings.

I decided to go with a small hand grinder and aero press because I was always curious about that thing and it seems like the fastest, easiest to clean method. I'll try a clever dripper or give it to a friend if it doesn't work out. But I have high hopes. Can't be worst than the coffee at school.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Scaramouche posted:

(sorry aeropress guy above I have no idea)

We got some new grinders, and I have to say one of them is actually pretty good. It's the Fiorenzato F4 Nano Electronic, which isn't super "new" (2015) but maybe a bit lesser known. 58mm burrs, stepless adjustment, timed programmable grinds (up to 2 + manual), low retention chute, and it hits that "quieter" angle like the Eureka Atom but a couple hundred bucks cheaper. Early going yet, but the tests we've done have been very nice so far. If you're looking for one of those Italian commercial looking tall grinders but don't want to lay out the bux for a Mazzer/Macap maybe check it out.

I can confirm the Fiorenzato F4 is pretty nice, I've had it for about a year and love it. Though I'm no expert, I took it under the advice of my coffee equipment dealer.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I got my preordered Fellow Prismo in the mail yesterday. ( http://fellowproducts.com/shop/prismo/ )

Thoughts: Definitely altered the quality of the coffee. I used it with a paper filter and my normal Aeropress recipe (18g, as much as water as will fit in the aeropress which I think is about ~260g) and the change in pressure really did seem to make for a fuller-tasting cup. I hosed up and didn't screw the thing in as hard as I should have (it's kind of rubbery so you have to twist it onto the aerorpress harder than you might think) so I initially had some water spray out of the cup. Once i did things right though, it was nice to be able to do an immersion brew without flipping the aeropress over. I also didn't have any coffee drip out of the sides like I normally do.

One downside is that it adds some time to cleanup. You can't just push the puck out anymore, and you can't just shake the grounds out of the Prismo into the trash because the metal filter is loose in there. I'm eager to try it some more and see what kind of difference it makes if any, I wish my palate was a little more discerning. I haven't tried the "espresso-like" recipe that comes with the Prismo so that will be interesting too.

Djimma
Aug 4, 2017

There Bias Two posted:

Colonna and Smalls in Bath, UK, have been experimenting with pods and are basically the beat coffee in pods you'll be able to find. They ship worldwide.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I've been testing one of these at work (not my picture at the bottom):
http://www.cafection.com/en/encore/encore-29

Cafection machines are neat since they're made in Canada (commercial only, sorry) and they make drip coffee instead of espresso shots stretched to drip like most commercial super automatics. They do it with a vacuum chamber and a kind of toilet paper roll of filter paper that advances with each drink, meaning each one gets a fresh paper filter.

It's a good cup, but what's relevant to you guys is I've made myself a new-ish drink, though I'm sure it's been done before by someone else. I brew up a cup of drip on the cafection at low-medium strength with an innocuous mid-roasted bean, and then top it up with a syrupy dark super shot from semi-automatic espresso machine(Quickmill vetrano double boiler), with like a heavy duty punch-ya-in-the-face strong Italian espresso like Kimbo Extreme. You get a bit of nice crema on the top, it's a nice mix. It's basically an americano that uses drip coffee instead of hot water. If any of you have a crazy expensive commercial drip machine laying around combined with a crazy expensive espresso machine I suggest you try it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Anyone got any experience with these doodads?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V8KjF8AYzg

I've wanted a manual/lever espresso machine for *ages* but they're incredibly expensive in australia (europiccola goes for $500AUD for a pre-owned if you're lucky, $900AUD for a brand new + shipping)

These are $220AUD or so brand new but need an external hot water source. I already have a grinder which seems to do an OK job (Breville Dose Control)

I have a (cheaper) espresso machine already (Delonghi Dedica) - would this fake-lever machine pour a better shot than my cheap vibration pump espresso machine?

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

I've wanted a manual/lever espresso machine for *ages* but they're incredibly expensive in australia (europiccola goes for $500AUD for a pre-owned if you're lucky, $900AUD for a brand new + shipping)

These are $220AUD or so brand new but need an external hot water source. I already have a grinder which seems to do an OK job (Breville Dose Control)

I have a (cheaper) espresso machine already (Delonghi Dedica) - would this fake-lever machine pour a better shot than my cheap vibration pump espresso machine?

The shot that guy just poured looks awful as sin.

Edit: also, holy poo poo that cleanup looks awful too

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

That looks really inelegant and bitsy - if I were after something like that I'd lean more towards the ROK (which I know next to nothing about) which is presented a bit better and uses an actual portafilter.

They're 2 hundo here - https://espressounplugged.com.au/products/rok-espresso-maker

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

I've seen homemade lever rigs using an aeropress that look easier to use (and probably with a better output). You're also loosing the ability to steam milk, if that's important to you.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Scaramouche posted:

It's a good cup, but what's relevant to you guys is I've made myself a new-ish drink, though I'm sure it's been done before by someone else. I brew up a cup of drip on the cafection at low-medium strength with an innocuous mid-roasted bean, and then top it up with a syrupy dark super shot from semi-automatic espresso machine(Quickmill vetrano double boiler), with like a heavy duty punch-ya-in-the-face strong Italian espresso like Kimbo Extreme. You get a bit of nice crema on the top, it's a nice mix. It's basically an americano that uses drip coffee instead of hot water. If any of you have a crazy expensive commercial drip machine laying around combined with a crazy expensive espresso machine I suggest you try it.

That's a red eye.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Love Stole the Day posted:

This one is pretty good:

Nice, Finland represented with Kaffeöst and Karsk. Except Leipäjuusto has been translated as "fresh cheese" for some reason, like you would chuck in any old emmental. Tho it's not really a method for preparing coffee, any more than eating a cupcake with coffee is. If you actually do mix the leipäjuusto into coffee, only some mutants and swedes drink it afterwards since the liquid tastes like rear end after soaking.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Love Stole the Day posted:

This one is pretty good:

That's not a Bicerin!

And to answer the actual question, are you looking to make cold brew concentrate, kantan drip, or to brew hot coffee onto ice and adjust the extraction so it tastes good cold?

Mu Zeta posted:

That's a red eye.

I do love those moments where you invent something before you realize it's actually invented yet. I was once high enough to do the exact same thing with sports. Not an individual sport, as in the idea of organized athletic competitions.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I didn't know we had a coffee thread!

I'm a high volume barista in Brisbane, Australia for work, but I've never really messed around with brewing at home other than french press or pour over stuff. I've been developing a big taste for cold drip coffee lately, but don't really have the cash to get a home yama tower or anything, so I rigged this up for a couple of bucks:

It uses an adjustable irrigation valve that cost about 1.50aud at the hardware store. Another buck or two for some filtered water and some filter paper (two for the funnel and one for on top of the grinds).

I did a test run yesterday with an old blend espresso blend I had sitting around, ground for plunger - it was so successful that I've ordered some nice glass and wood to build a proper tower instead of this macgyver poo poo (still gonna be cheap as hell though).

Right now I've got it set up extracting a nice Honduran single origin that the roaster at my workplace roasted for filter, I can't wait to sample it in the morning! Gonna experiment with hot water blooming etc after getting a real mount built. Anyone got cool cold brew tips? Even at work we just pack up the yama tower with whatever we've got laying around and I'm pretty sure its the highest profit margin item in the entire store.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Anyone giving/getting coffee gifts this year? I've been binging on the portable brewers for gifts (this is wholly unrelated to my workplace discount!), a couple of Oomph and a couple of Minipressos w/ Nespresso adaptor. We also have a bag of panamanian geisha greens that I roasted up and am going to dole out.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
My CCD sprung a leak today and dumped about half a cup of coffee on, around and into my Hario drip timer scales. How screwed am I?

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Just got a Capresso Infinity. Used it once with some dark roast beans so they're probably a little oily, and couldn't believe how many grounds were left between the upper and lower burrs. Is this normal? How the hell are you supposed to keep this thing clean?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Give it a couple smacks on the side once the static has died down.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

The motor on my Sette seems to have fried. On the one hand, boo, only black coffee for me for a spell. On the other, Baratza customer service is utterly fantastic. "Please check these three items." Me: "Checked, the motor still won't turn on." "I'll process your warranty claim now."

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

JohnCompany posted:

The motor on my Sette seems to have fried. On the one hand, boo, only black coffee for me for a spell. On the other, Baratza customer service is utterly fantastic. "Please check these three items." Me: "Checked, the motor still won't turn on." "I'll process your warranty claim now."

Godspeed. I have been hand grinding espresso for a month now. Good news is you can totally do espresso on a hand grinder. Just takes a while.

Make sure you check what you get back from Baratza very carefully. Once I received a totally different model and another time I got a dead one someone else had sent in for repair. They will take care of it, just stay on it.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

I've been grinding beans for pour-over/aeropress using the hario skerton for a long time now and I've decided that it's no longer cutting it (and also my hands are exhausted). What's a good entry-level electric grinder? Are the Baratza Encore/Virtuoso still recommended? I live in Canada so unfortunately I don't think I can find a cheap refurbished one here.

EDIT: Encore is about $190 here, Virtuoso is about $300

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Tippecanoe posted:

I've been grinding beans for pour-over/aeropress using the hario skerton for a long time now and I've decided that it's no longer cutting it (and also my hands are exhausted). What's a good entry-level electric grinder? Are the Baratza Encore/Virtuoso still recommended? I live in Canada so unfortunately I don't think I can find a cheap refurbished one here.

Paging Scaramouche

He’s your huckleberry for this one