Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The dlc is totally fine but I wish it was a really interesting new area or something novel added to the world... A bunch of shrines and chests in a world already bloated with shrines and chests is definitely MORE content, but I don't think it's what this game necessarily needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Well I’m not sure how you’re supposed to activate the water themed area (get it started rotating) of the final dlc dungeon, but I was able to do it without it just through platforming. Good DLC. I was just happy to get more BotW, but all the story bits and new fights were fun. The final reward is half badass and half wtf.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

That was a super fun boss at the end and it was great having more Zelda to play but the bike is disappointing and Kass's shtick of pretending he doesn't know that you're the Hero of Legend gets incredibly tiresome incredibly quickly when it happens over and over as part of the same sidequest.

Yeah I get the "we don't know what order you're going to do these in" aspect of it, but at least having a generic incrementally-more-familiar greeting would have made him feel less dense. Especially since I doubt any of his dialogue changes even if you did his full sidequest in the main game (I honestly don't remember if I did or not on this save, but I can't be assed to check at this point).

Joke answer: As a bird he tells people apart based on plumage and all hylians look the same to him, so he errs on the side of "I have no idea who you are". Voices help but Link never talks and is too socially awkward to correct Kass on it :v:

Tender Bender posted:

The dlc is totally fine but I wish it was a really interesting new area or something novel added to the world... A bunch of shrines and chests in a world already bloated with shrines and chests is definitely MORE content, but I don't think it's what this game necessarily needs.

Honestly I think it's just easy to get really jaded about the sheer scope of the world after you're already 100+ hours in, which is pretty much the case for any open world game. Layering the content into the same worldspace as the existing stuff works if you're experiencing it fresh, but I think everyone ITT is coming into it extremely late-game in comparison so it's going to feel a bit eh in comparison.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Hahahaha an npc told me I had better things to live for and i should jump down on his side of the bridge instead when I was standing on a railing taking aim at a moblin.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

mastajake posted:

Well I’m not sure how you’re supposed to activate the water themed area (get it started rotating) of the final dlc dungeon, but I was able to do it without it just through platforming.

it doesn't matter now but you stasis a spoke on the gear so it stays in position and lifts a platform with the connecting gear

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Really loved the DLC (as a whole). Even though a lot of it is geared toward new players (armor) I think the endgame quests were well worth the price. I wish they'd let you upgrade some of the DLC outfits but I guess that's the downside of looking cool as hell. Still think it's pretty lovely that you can't hold all the in-game+dlc+amiibo armor, hopefully they add another page in a patch because there's really no reason not to.

All I've got left is finishing up DLC2 on Master Mode. GOTY, GOT Decade, I can't think of another game I've had this much fun with.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Did anyone else have a hell of a time installing the dlc on Wii u or is it just me? I've had to relaunch the game to download content multiple times now and I can't even tell if it's actually downloading the dlc or just updating the game (all it says is "downloading content"). Plus each download has taken 20 minutes to download and then another 20 to install

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Polo-Rican posted:

Did anyone else have a hell of a time installing the dlc on Wii u or is it just me? I've had to relaunch the game to download content multiple times now and I can't even tell if it's actually downloading the dlc or just updating the game (all it says is "downloading content"). Plus each download has taken 20 minutes to download and then another 20 to install

I had a hiccup as well. It kept telling me I needed to update when I had all system updates.

I had to eject the disc, hard reboot the system, then insert the disc. The DLC properly downloaded & installed at my next launch of the game.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I booted the game up, it said I had to download and sent me to the Store homefront, then when I rebooted it downloaded/installed like it should have in the first place.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i wonder if a lot of these DLC 2 shrines were initially cut from the game, because some of these are fuckin bullshit

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

The Hidden Staircase Shrine was a very good shrine.

Actually, I've liked all of the shrines that I've done so far from DLC2, but that one stuck out to me.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kaubocks posted:

i wonder if a lot of these DLC 2 shrines were initially cut from the game, because some of these are fuckin bullshit

They're good

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This DLC was garbage, and I'm sorry I spent my money on it tbh. Like I love BotW, but this was all cool stuff for a 1st play through, not stuff I want to come back to the game for. Now that wonder of the 1st play through is gone, and I'm just annoyed.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

FartingBedpost posted:

The Hidden Staircase Shrine was a very good shrine.

Actually, I've liked all of the shrines that I've done so far from DLC2, but that one stuck out to me.

How’d you beat it? I used octorok balloons

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Calaveron posted:

I lifted it up, stasis’d it, then made ice platforms as a stopper for it.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

They're good

The one shrine where if you're wearing the fireproof suit you just walk to the end uninterrupted was horseshit. I got to the end and was confused, wondering if it was a fake pedestal and there was more.

All of the new shrines felt easy to cheese however the new Major Test of Strength was a brilliant swerve.

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 10, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
You could have...not cheesed it? :confused:

I mean there are shrines when I whip out fire arrows instead of loving with motion control boxes but it's not like I'm not aware I'm "skipping" the challenge :shrug: Maybe if they had made it blue fire that fucks you regardless or something less people would be complaining about how easy it was

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Calaveron posted:

Cryonis’d a couple platforms and slowly creeped it up through magnesis, stasis, and more cryonis.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I need a list of all the best things to ramp, please.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Bongo Bill posted:

I need a list of all the best things to ramp, please.

Truly the line between man and God is drawn based on what you won't ramp.

I'm currently trying to find a way to ramp the cycle into death mountain

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Cryonis a platform up, place bombs underneath, break ice, climb to top, stasis. Set off bombs and launch up to treasure or monk.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Okay, so when's the DLC that lets me upgrade the bike to be able to use it in the desert?

Seriously though, what the hell? The one place it would be really useful and you're not allowed to use it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The phantom ganon set looks pretty rad. And its effect is a combination of the Sheikah and Luminous sets(except you don't get the speed boost at night). The only downside is that it can't be upgraded so its defense is garbage, but I rarely get hit by normal enemies anyway and I switch to another set for mini-bosses.

Also I have so many durians now. I should've done East Necluda earlier, rather than literally being the last zone I explored.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

RatHat posted:

The phantom ganon set looks pretty rad. And its effect is a combination of the Sheikah and Luminous sets(except you don't get the speed boost at night). The only downside is that it can't be upgraded so its defense is garbage, but I rarely get hit by normal enemies anyway and I switch to another set for mini-bosses.

Also I have so many durians now. I should've done East Necluda earlier, rather than literally being the last zone I explored.

Phantom Ganon is my new go-to for mooching around Hyrule. I love having a cape.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Ugh I haven't picked up the game in months and now I'm just getting my rear end kicked trying to do any of the DLC. I just completely forgot how to actually play and can't even do the normal master sword ones since I keep trying to parry and missing, or jumping directly into a flaming chu trying to catch the updraft :(

Slightly tempted to start a new file and play fresh since I haven't really done so since release where I played obsessively. Just not sure I want to redo some of the shrines again (that loving golf shrine :shepicide:)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Icedude posted:

Okay, so when's the DLC that lets me upgrade the bike to be able to use it in the desert?

Seriously though, what the hell? The one place it would be really useful and you're not allowed to use it.

Seriously? I thought that the bike could just be summoned anywhere considering you can use it on the Plateau. That's really dumb that it's not allowed in the desert. :bravo: Nintendo.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

You could have...not cheesed it? :confused:

I mean there are shrines when I whip out fire arrows instead of loving with motion control boxes but it's not like I'm not aware I'm "skipping" the challenge :shrug: Maybe if they had made it blue fire that fucks you regardless or something less people would be complaining about how easy it was

If I'm able to (easily) cheese a section, I'm going to cheese it. That's on the game designers part. I don't care about my video game honor or integrity.

Anyway, coming back to BotW directly after playing Odyssey really shows how lovely Link controls in platforming sections. Trying to get around the arena in the waterblight rematch was frustrating as hell.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
It's kinda weird to complain about cheesing stuff in Botw, a game where you can cheese through almost everything in some way if you know how and have the right materials.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

Seriously? I thought that the bike could just be summoned anywhere considering you can use it on the Plateau. That's really dumb that it's not allowed in the desert. :bravo: Nintendo.

Yup, can't use it up on Death Mountain either, but that made some sense in a 'too hot for it to work' way.

Funnily enough you can use it fine in the deep snow up on Hebra and the Gerudo Highlands :shrug:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Icedude posted:

Yup, can't use it up on Death Mountain either, but that made some sense in a 'too hot for it to work' way.

Funnily enough you can use it fine in the deep snow up on Hebra and the Gerudo Highlands :shrug:

It's not complicated, if a horse isn't allowed there the bike isn't either

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I love that canonically the ultimate and crowning achievement of the sheikah is now "dude check out this sweet hog we made, it's pretty cool right".

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Frankston posted:

I love that canonically the ultimate and crowning achievement of the sheikah is now "dude check out this sweet hog we made, it's pretty cool right".

Followed by "dude check out this sweet phablet we made, it always has three bars"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Frankston posted:

If I'm able to (easily) cheese a section, I'm going to cheese it. That's on the game designers part. I don't care about my video game honor or integrity.

I don't really care about honor or integrity either, but "knowing god mode is available in the console commands" doesn't compel me to play through the game with it on, not because my e-honor or game sanctity, but because it's boring.

It's one thing to get that "heh, I did that in an unintended manner" feeling, but putting on the invulnerability armor and saying "well that was too easy" feels really...goofy. Maybe that's just me, though.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The royal guard armour appears to have something going on with it. It has the stated set bonus of the barbarian set (charge attack stamina plus) but it also seems to have unstated set bonuses! Namely, it has at least climbing jump stamina, and swimming dash stamina. Maybe more that I haven't noticed yet? Even those two make it a really nice all around traveling set (and it looks very very nice). But I do wonder why neither is listed. Is it a bug somehow?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Probably because the game can only display one set bonus at a time?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I don't really care about honor or integrity either, but "knowing god mode is available in the console commands" doesn't compel me to play through the game with it on, not because my e-honor or game sanctity, but because it's boring.

It's one thing to get that "heh, I did that in an unintended manner" feeling, but putting on the invulnerability armor and saying "well that was too easy" feels really...goofy. Maybe that's just me, though.

Right, but that's abusing a mechanic that's not meant to be accessed in normal play, it's not the same thing. I just think it's poorly designed because nearly the rest of the entire game has ways to make sure you can't do such a thing but it's like they just didn't really care this time.

Shrine has fire everywhere, I'll put on my fireproof suit. :shrug:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't really see the flamebreaker armor thing as "cheesing it", on account that you have to put work into upgrading it to get that set bonus.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The game is full of stuff like that, though. Fire arrows and electric arrows/weapons in particular. I dunno, it makes sense to me. If you want the satisfaction of beating the puzzle, do that. If you just want to skip the puzzle and get the reward, do that. We're talking one of 120+ shrines here.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

The DLC armors are so baller looking, but why can't you upgrade their defenses? :negative:

e: also holy gently caress, gently caress waterblight ganon, I keep getting knocked into the water by the ice blocks, then I can't even get out of the water because I get stun locked by the follow up blocks

Dad Jokes fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I like many did not have the Flamebreaker Helm because I'm a stingy rear end in a top hat and while I did recognize that it would be much easier with the set bonus, it's still a puzzle that has clever design. The Rubber Armor's set bonus did make those other dungeons much easier for me, though. I dunno, do what you want, it's called an open world for a reason.