Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

SelenicMartian posted:

Someone in the verse is probably interacting with the shop at the same time, and this thing broadcasts every action of every player to every client regardless of range and sublevel.
:eyepop:
lol if true. Seriously who does tha-- oh right, it's CIG were talking about. Maybe CryTek never thought about using the dialouge system in multiplayer mode so it's been poorly patched over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Remember how a flashlight would light asteroids for miles?

Maybe they couldn't patch this speech behaviour out completely, so they set the subtitles to show for only one frame beyond a certain range.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
OK, serious question time.

Is there anyone who seriously - no snark - thinks that there is ever going to be a "game" coming from this?

We make fun of them for the lols, but we're now down to the point where we have to start taking this poo poo seriously because, you know, lives and bank accounts are at a risk.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

D_Smart posted:

Is there anyone who seriously - no snark - thinks that there is ever going to be a "game" coming from this?

We make fun of them for the lols, but we're now down to the point where we have to start taking this poo poo seriously because, you know, lives and bank accounts are at a risk.

I do!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBRIlG5DmTc&t=24s

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Caught up with the thread!

I had to skip about 9000 posts though.

People were mentioning some kind of Land Sale? I missed that, anyone got any links or a summary?

I assume they started selling digital plots of land?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

nopantsjack posted:

Digital in the sense they're really just a few digits showing how much you've paid for.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

40GB+ downloads don't grow on trees so probably not.

Post CIG there will probably be a 'How to download the game off bit-torrent and play offline' guide to keep the dream alive.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Quote that in [[x]] years because yeah, I'm calling it.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

D_Smart posted:

I expect some version to be called an official release, and that Citizens would call it a 'game'. But only for a definition so broad that washing dishes would also qualify as a 'game'.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

nopantsjack posted:

Yes. Here's the pitch.. Prices are $50/$100.

But they aren't selling "land", they are selling a voucher to claim land in game. You still need to find what you want to claim. This is the official justification that has been gone with.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SelenicMartian posted:

Remember how a flashlight would light asteroids for miles?

Maybe they couldn't patch this speech behaviour out completely, so they set the subtitles to show for only one frame beyond a certain range.

More likely is that everything is broadcast to everyone but the decision to show the dialogue is client-authoritative, and said client is chugging hard enough that it shows up for a split second before the client manages to figure out that it shouldn't be shown. The alternative was probably "if we default to not showing the dialogue, sometimes it doesn't show up at all".

Naturally this opens new and exciting future avenues for griefing. Competitive PvP games like Counterstrike, Overwatch, and World of Warcraft have a lot of special code server side to make sure things like "positional data for people that your client shouldn't be able to see behind a wall" aren't broadcast in the first place, to prevent client hacks like "making the walls invisible" from actually doing anything for you.

Star Citizen, on the other hand, apparently broadcasts everything to everyone, which means that if you want to grief the gently caress out of Specific User A you can get their exact location no matter what side of the galaxy they respawned on. No hiding in asteroid fields, no landing in a crater the size of six skyrims in the middle of nowhere with your IFF beacon off, no getting lost in a crowd of NPCs so you can duck down a blind alleyway-- your opponent is psychic and there will be no escape.

Good news is, apparently my request a couple years back for "stream sniper" made it in as a profession :3:

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 10, 2017

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

D_Smart posted:

3.0 is the game

it's bad

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Solarin posted:

3.0 is the game

it's bad

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

D_Smart posted:

depends on your definition of game

by the literal definition of the term, 3.0 is a game
by the literal definition of the terms, at some point CIG will release a "final version" of their "game"

The only real question is are they going to slap a release version number on a MVP build and try to spin it as an ongoing endevour (so don't freak about about all the missing content, we're working on it, buy more concept ships) or are they going to slap a release version on a MVP build and disappear as a corporate entity the next day

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mods please change my name to FUDtard

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Tricklecole? Cole Trickle?

Days Of Thunder?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Thanks commandos the land thing is funny, I love that they can't do anything without announcing several new features to come like weather and nature reserves.

My SO wants to know what happened to Ben, he still alive?

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Mods please change my name to SCtrumpHaters.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

nopantsjack posted:

Thanks commandos the land thing is funny, I love that they can't do anything without announcing several new features to come like weather and nature reserves.

He is alive, and I believe still employed. But he is just background Wing Commander noise on Twitter these days. And not much of that even. He could probably vanish at this point and only weirdos like us would notice.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

D_Smart posted:

Maybe ?

Look at Warframe. It started as a playable but poor and repetitive game and stayed as such for 2 years but around year 3 they got their poo poo together and since then its been only improvements. Accounting for CIG time the same thing may happen to SC over 10-15 years

Right now its a barely functioning toy but give them another 5 year @20M$ a year and they might have something worth playing ? The fan of the project are clearly behaving unlike rational actors so who know how it will end up ? CIG has no desing goal as long as the cash come in. Who care if your magnus opus cost 300M$ for something that could have been done with a 3rd of the budget and the funding was acquired from barely legal means and predatory tactics.

Everytime math and rational analysis say they are about to close shop they somehow find a way to tap deeper into human stupidity and acquire another 5-10M$ They sold ships untill all the niches where filled, then they sold buggy and jeeps, now they sell land and soon they will sell base parts and pre-fab buildings.

Its not like not having desing documents, progression, economy, activities, end game content, a flight model or player goal outside of "escape the wankpod and fly around untill you die from a bug" has stopped them.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 10, 2017

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

nopantsjack posted:

Barely. The most plausible theory is that Ben himself, and so his corpse, is dead. But the enormous quantity of grease that formed inside him his entire life amalgamated in a sentient being able to control the dead body in order to ingest more food, growing itself stronger.

Zzr fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 10, 2017

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Drunk Theory posted:

He is alive, and I believe still employed. But he is just background Wing Commander noise on Twitter these days. And not much of that even. He could probably vanish at this point and only weirdos like us would notice.

It's kinda funny how CIG will be in full crisis management mode over something and Ben's Twitter just has something like "They're not printing any Star Trek books this month. :( "

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Why doesn't Ben ever play Star Citizen?

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012
Because it's not wing commander.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

D_Smart posted:

Explain to me how lives are at risk, though? Bank accounts I'll grant you, but really even if Star Citizen were to disappear tomorrow I kind of feel like the dudes who'd invest their family's life savings into scam video games in pursuit of community and meaning are gonna find some way to lose that money.

I do think there will eventually be something that they declare as the final game. Years late, tens of millions over budget, and with mechanics that range from passable to holy-crap-how-did-that-ever-get-released. It'll be billed as an MMO but be largely played as a single player wandering-and-trading game, because they forgot to balance any of the economics to make piracy or bounty hunting worthwhile other than as griefing professions. It will be swiftly forgotten about within months as it is laughably far behind other games of the same period. The idiots who sunk 50,000 dollars into it will still feel justified because it came out, after all, and the amount they spent was so long ago that they're no longer feeling buyer's remorse.

Only two questions remain for me at this point- how can they possibly put out all of the ships they've sold, with all of the mechanics they've promised, without going broke? And if they don't release them how can they cut and run having sold people stuff they didn't deliver?

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

The medical supplies must FEED!

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Like, according to twitter he's been playing Animal Crossing.

https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/937033816073314304

No way that low fidelity console bullshit is more fun than alpha 3.0

bonus:
https://twitter.com/LeonardSkinly/status/937047884775772161

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I think it is right and proper for a call to action to be very serious about Star Citizen.

At this point I think that the only way to do the right thing and save all these poor people and maybe take a stand for being upright on the internet in the world of video games is to be the one guy willing to go beyond and make a video game that is good.

Who among us can make a good video game to save pc gaming and maybe space.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Dusty Lens posted:

I think it is right and proper for a call to action to be very serious about Star Citizen.

At this point I think that the only way to do the right thing and save all these poor people and maybe take a stand for being upright on the internet in the world of video games is to be the one guy willing to go beyond and make a video game that is good.

Who among us can make a good video game to save pc gaming and maybe space.

Time to use the Smartphone.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Lives are on the line this is no time for jokes.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Dusty Lens posted:

Lives are on the line this is no time for jokes.

Time to defend the line of these lives.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Zzr posted:

Time to defend the line of these lives.
I see what you did there.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

D_Smart posted:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

D_Smart posted:

The thing is that it already is a "game" - you pay money, and get to play a turd on their hosted servers. They could draw a line on the sand at any point and call it the official release with, of course, more to come later.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Sarsapariller posted:

Explain to me how lives are at risk, though? Bank accounts I'll grant you, but really even if Star Citizen were to disappear tomorrow I kind of feel like the dudes who'd invest their family's life savings into scam video games in pursuit of community and meaning are gonna find some way to lose that money.

Scams have a gamut of outcomes for the victims that don’t get out early. I’d say it ranges from the healthy end: “Haha wow I was dumb Jesus how did I not listen to you all, I’m sorry” to the still deluded: “$scam was always going to succeed but you assholes didn’t believe in it and caused it to fail”, the latter continuing the same posture battles until the end of time, even when the scammer themselves goes to jail and admits in court etc etc.

I feel bad for the people in the middle, who both realized too late how stupid they were being but also feel the internal conflict about admitting their mistake and possibly how much of their financial situation they have squandered. Those are the people at risk of things like suicide or unhealthy tendencies (substance abuse, doubling down on other schemes to prove to themselves they are capable of seeing “sure bets”)

Are people bad with money going to be bad with money? Probably, but this is a new kind of scam trapping an ambitious new market of victims, many of whom id argue probably wouldn’t have been burned so badly had we well run financial oversight in our hell world.

(To be clear confidence scams aren’t new but it’s well executed in how RSI performs the liability dance)

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 10, 2017

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MilesK posted:

Like, according to twitter he's been playing Animal Crossing.

https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/937033816073314304

No way that low fidelity console bullshit is more fun than alpha 3.0

bonus:
https://twitter.com/LeonardSkinly/status/937047884775772161

can you be fat in animal crossing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

I love the amount of triggered rage in the video comments.

"Failure you can't talk poo poo about Star Citizen, you last played it over two weeks ago, it's totally different now, that's why you can't show footage of Star Citizen when you're talking poo poo!"

Oh, my bad for playing a released playable stable game I enjoy and talking about random poo poo. Okay.....let me boot up Star Citizen and confirm it's still a slideshow train wreck.

Oh yep, it's a 20fps max hellscape alright.

"You're loving mentally disturbed, why the gently caress are you playing Star Citizen, you said you were done with it."

Okay. I see what you did there Citizen.