Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

NewFatMike posted:

I'm on the bus so I can't check out the video in the article, but:

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/60100/amds-new-ryzen-7-2800x-teased-12c-24t-up-5-1ghz/index.html

That can't be right

Haha no way that can be true, especially those clocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Pretty confident that came from 4chan and thus is horseshit.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
If so it will be a goddamn repeat of Pentium 4 vs Athlon. Thinking about how long Intel has been riding on no-competition.. maybe it's possible? I want to believe.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Free blowjobs too?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
AMD pulling some NVIDIA-level naming bullshit right there. Ryzen2 the series, using the Ryzen+ stepping, to be followed by the Ryzen2 uarch...

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
To me the thing that's least believable about it is that they'd come up with a 12-core 5.1GHz chip, which would be able to murder anything Intel is putting out for under four figures, and then they'd sell it for $450. Like... I'd stand in line to pay $700 for that and I'm a cheapass who's been sitting on a 2500K for 6 years looking at new things and going "eh... not good enough yet."

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
if anything, those clocks are way too low

tell me i’m wrong, lisa

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

That rumor strikes me as wrong on everything.

The core counts are unlikely to change. The clock gains are way too high and why would they use the 2XXX naming system instead of 1X50?

Everything about it seems dumb and bad.

So it is probably right?

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe for Ryzen2 you might see cores change and clocks that high, but Ryzen+ will be maybe 4.3 to 4.5ghz and bettern memory timings thats about it

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Those "leaks" seem like horseshit, but if they were true, everyone would be rushing out to buy one.
8700K would seem like a plaything even with slightly better single thread perfomance, especially with a 5.1GHz stock boost.

But I'm pretty sure someone has just scribbled out their fantasties, keeping them just on the edge of possibility, and then spread them around.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's like they took every individual possible upgrade, turned them to 11, and rolled them together.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

AMD pulling some NVIDIA-level naming bullshit right there. Ryzen2 the series, using the Ryzen+ stepping, to be followed by the Ryzen2 uarch...

Amd uses Ryzen the same way Intel uses Core, Ryzen 2 is only used on lovely clickbait techsites. Neither Ryzen+ nor Zen+ exist anymore but people still stick to that name for some reason, and the architecture is named Zen(2).

Those specs are obvious fakes that have been circulating around for months.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Pinnacle is supposed to be on 12nmLP (or really, AMD 14nm++), so there will be some improvement, because who the gently caress pays a fab for a customized process to design several chips for and get nothing out of it? gently caress it would be AMD, wouldn't?

The only way those core counts and clockspeeds are in the realm of realistic is if AMD is backporting Zen2 to 12nm, which might turn into it's own kind of mess. If that's true, it also means Zen2 7nm is delayed to like, mid 2019 or so.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'd buy a guaranteed 4.5 GHz 8C/16T Ryzen1.5 part for sure. Anything above that would be icing on the cake.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I went checking to see if all the other listed Ryzen parts on that roadmap had launched on time or how far behind they were.

And then I found THIS company.

https://www.qarnot.com/

Who announced that they were switching from Intel processors to AMD Ryzen parts.

Inb4 "lol AMD space heater" jokes.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

And then I found THIS company.

https://www.qarnot.com/

Who announced that they were switching from Intel processors to AMD Ryzen parts.

This seems like a terrible idea all around.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Oh wow. That is not actually a joke? Im sure they can fit a buttcoin miner in that heater somewhere.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

that "leak" is a month old /r/ayymd shitpost lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/AyyMD/comments/79aiwh/ryzen_2

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

repiv posted:

that "leak" is a month old /r/ayymd shitpost lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/AyyMD/comments/79aiwh/ryzen_2

Not that that was a surprise

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I see SemiAccurate forums is running a bitcoin miner in your browser now. Charlie's just a real class act.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
yo, i told you that leak was bs. the real numbers are much higher.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Ryzen was originally delayed because it's was so fast it managed to get an overflow error on the core frequency. Ryzen 2 will be noticeably slower in absolute terms but faster practically.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

FaustianQ posted:

Ryzen was originally delayed because it's was so fast it managed to get an overflow error on the core frequency. Ryzen 2 will be noticeably slower in absolute terms but faster practically.

Jim Keller was a big Dragon Age Origins fan

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

I see SemiAccurate forums is running a bitcoin miner in your browser now. Charlie's just a real class act.

Seriously? Don’t they charge major subscription fees? What trash.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Paul MaudDib posted:

:discourse: everything about bitcoin is hilarious

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

In the far future of 6 months from now, the last of Earths atmosphere is lost to space as the cryptomines which crisscross the surface consume it in blazing inferno. RTG still remains in the red despite selling millions of Vega cards, stating that "Well, if you look at our Non-GAAP..."

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Eletriarnation posted:

To me the thing that's least believable about it is that they'd come up with a 12-core 5.1GHz chip, which would be able to murder anything Intel is putting out for under four figures, and then they'd sell it for $450. Like... I'd stand in line to pay $700 for that and I'm a cheapass who's been sitting on a 2500K for 6 years looking at new things and going "eh... not good enough yet."

The below will set everything straight.

Kazinsal posted:

I'd buy a guaranteed 4.5 GHz 8C/16T Ryzen1.5 part for sure. Anything above that would be icing on the cake.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

What's known about the process that Ryzen+ is on?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

redeyes posted:

Oh wow. That is not actually a joke? Im sure they can fit a buttcoin miner in that heater somewhere.

Conning normal people to pay for your electricity, deal with your waste heat, house your equipment, and not use any of the actual computing power is a dream come true for capitalism, but putting server farms inside thousands/millions of homes is a maintenance/upgrading nightmare. And data access speeds would be alll kinds of hosed. :newlol:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Dec 11, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

What's known about the process that Ryzen+ is on?

its 14nm++ that was given a fancy new name. It might have slightly more via density, or smaller line pitch or it could just be better fin topology.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Whenever I bring up async IF elsewhere, I often enough get countered by people saying that AMD wouldn't do it because it requires additional buffering that'd cause latency. Well, given the bus width and frequency mismatchs between RAM and IF, aren't there already buffers, anyway?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Possible that Ryzen The Next Generation is mostly just the desktop APU version (plus the process tweaks)?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Whenever I bring up async IF elsewhere, I often enough get countered by people saying that AMD wouldn't do it because it requires additional buffering that'd cause latency. Well, given the bus width and frequency mismatchs between RAM and IF, aren't there already buffers, anyway?

My understanding is that the issue is that they're linked (with some multiplier), not mismatched.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yes, the IF runs at half the memory bus speed. But it's like 4 times as wide (256 bit vs 64 bit memory bus). There's gotta be some buffering already.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yes, the IF runs at half the memory bus speed. But it's like 4 times as wide (256 bit vs 64 bit memory bus). There's gotta be some buffering already.

IF is also a packet based setup, similar to PCI-E, so running them completely async shouldn't be an issue fundamentally, you still have flow control and congestion management on the fabric, you just run them both as fast as they can, and deal with buffer over and underruns on the IF crossbar like you would any other memory tech. It's certainly hideously more complex than that, but fundamentally nothing about IF needs to be tied to a specific clock domain.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
So it turns out that intel 10nm is turbofucked, meaning that AMD + glofo 7nm could actually be ahead/competitive with intel on a process level.

AMD still needs a good GPU but getting that sweet sweet datacenter cpu cash would go a long way to funding RTG well....

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Malcolm XML posted:

So it turns out that intel 10nm is turbofucked, meaning that AMD + glofo 7nm could actually be ahead/competitive with intel on a process level.

AMD still needs a good GPU but getting that sweet sweet datacenter cpu cash would go a long way to funding RTG well....

I'm not aware of any good news outlets that cover such things. Who and where can I read about Intel's 10nm being hosed up?

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Malcolm XML posted:

Is there a source for this?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yea some info would be nice. The last thing I heard about 10nm was something about cobalt interconnects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
https://semiaccurate.com/2017/12/11/going-wrong-intels-10nm-process/