Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Dad Jokes posted:

The DLC armors are so baller looking, but why can't you upgrade their defenses? :negative:

It'd make the game kind of pay to win?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

ah yes, of course, you don't want to have an unfair advantage against your competitors in this single player nintendo game with your whopping +10 defense

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Can someone give me a vague hint on this DLC puzzle? Namely, the bit in Ulria grotto with the "path of light"? I have absolutely no clue what's going on here but I don't want to just look it up.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

TFRazorsaw posted:

I don't really see the flamebreaker armor thing as "cheesing it", on account that you have to put work into upgrading it to get that set bonus.

Also you can take my Lightning Helm from my cold dead hands.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Making the DLC armor able to have comparable defense to existing armor would be pay-to-win?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Amppelix posted:

Can someone give me a vague hint on this DLC puzzle? Namely, the bit in Ulria grotto with the "path of light"? I have absolutely no clue what's going on here but I don't want to just look it up.
Stand by manta raymond wait for morning and look around

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Amppelix posted:

ahh the sea, embrace the warmth of the morning sun, look at how it glistens the water.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Wow. I actually saw that earlier but it was so briefly i thought it was a reflection error or something. I really expected the thing I was looking for to be way closer.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TFRazorsaw posted:

I don't know if this is a serious post but what do you consider the amiibo items and armor?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Combining DLC armors to make your fanfic come to life is worth the $20 alone.
"OH NO! GANONDORF STOLE MAJORA'S MASK AND THE MASTER SWORD! HERE HE COMES ON HIS ANCIENT MOTORCYCLE!"

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Harrow posted:

Making the DLC armor able to have comparable defense to existing armor would be pay-to-win?

considering most of the other armor in the game you need to build resources to purchase in game, while you pay a real world price for the dlc armor and more or less get it in game where all you have to do is track it down? Yeah, kind of.

s.i.r.e. posted:

I don't know if this is a serious post but what do you consider the amiibo items and armor?

You can upgrade that stuff? I've never gotten any of it.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I get why the DLC armor isn't upgradable; it really isn't meant to be anything more than a novelty. Think of it like other un-upgradeable equipment in the game like the Dark Link set. It can be helpful if you find it early, but more than anything it's true value is in its appearance and not its function.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

considering most of the other armor in the game you need to build resources to purchase in game, while you pay a real world price for the dlc armor and more or less get it in game where all you have to do is track it down? Yeah, kind of.

If the dlc armor is upgradeable you'd still have to spend ingame resources to upgrade it though.

And no, an open world single player game selling you cosmetics that are functionally identical to ingame items is pretty far from what people mean when they say pay to win.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I guess you're right. I was just trying to raise it as a point of discussion, my thoughts on it weren't complete. It was just a notion

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TFRazorsaw posted:

Yup, it requires some of the rarest materials but it's all upgradeable. Maxing out the Fierce Deity Armor was probably the simplest for me to do though.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

TFRazorsaw posted:

Like Majora's Mask doesn't?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i'm halfway through the shrines and SuperBlights and to me this DLC feels fine.

it's not the best dlc i've ever played (looking at you DS1 and Bloodborne) but honestly it's more zelda and combined with pack 1, i have gotten my moneys worth out of it. also this is the first non-multiplayer game in years that i've spent more than 100 hours on, and i'm still enjoying riding around finding koroks and battlin' bokoblins and upgrading armor. the shine's worn off but the good vibes haven't, i guess.

at the same time, i am now fully torqued for Breath of the Wild 2: Breath Harder. plus it's got me interested in whatever nintendo do with basically all their major franchises; god i hope metroid prime 4 is a winner

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

bef posted:

Like Majora's Mask doesn't?

Huh? You mean like the dlc item or the actual game? I'm not sure what you mean?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Huh? You mean like the dlc item or the actual game? I'm not sure what you mean?

What he means is that the DLC item Majora's Mask is extremely and uniquely powerful in Breath of the Wild.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
TIL you can perfect guard bees :3:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh nice the Zant helmet is the freeze equivalent of the Thunder helm. Not nearly as useful but still.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bongo Bill posted:

What he means is that the DLC item Majora's Mask is extremely and uniquely powerful in Breath of the Wild.

To clarify further: it makes enemies totally ignore you unless you attack them.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

To clarify further: it makes enemies totally ignore you unless you attack them.

Only Bokoblins, lizalfos, and moblins, and if even one bat or blob or what have you sees through your disguise, everyone will... but that's still pretty broken given that in the default game, you can only get masks that will fool one of those categories at a time.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Spergatory posted:

Only Bokoblins, lizalfos, and moblins, and if even one bat or blob or what have you sees through your disguise, everyone will... but that's still pretty broken given that in the default game, you can only get masks that will fool one of those categories at a time.

It works on Lynels too.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Anyone got some sick tricks with the motorcycle yet?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

RatHat posted:

It works on Lynels too.

Not like it does with the other three. Lynels will see through it eventually.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

So I stopped playing BoTW along rear end time ago. I'm still on the first boss...guy. You fight him in the elephant. I never beat him because I ran out of lightning arrows, but is there a place to easier get more of them or would I be better off just restarting since it's been about a solid 8 months since I picked it up?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

LODGE NORTH posted:

So I stopped playing BoTW along rear end time ago. I'm still on the first boss...guy. You fight him in the elephant. I never beat him because I ran out of lightning arrows, but is there a place to easier get more of them or would I be better off just restarting since it's been about a solid 8 months since I picked it up?

You don't need lightning arrows to beat him at all. You can use regular arrows.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

could probably just go back to where you got the shock arrows in the first place, provided a blood moon has happened since doing that mission

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

LODGE NORTH posted:

restart and just have a dang old good time

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, I had the Mask on for giggles when I went to get the stuff out of Hyrule Colosseum and was wondering why the Lynel wasn't murdering me. Oh :v:

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Riding around on that motorcycle has taught me new joy and given me a new zest for life itself.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So the Sheikah Slate is the Wii U gamepad from back when this was Wii U exclusive right?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

RatHat posted:

So the Sheikah Slate is the Wii U gamepad from back when this was Wii U exclusive right?

Yes, and originally all map and scope functions would've required you to look at the screen on the gamepad instead of just popping up on the tv like a reasonable video game. Thank God for that Switch port. :v:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That concept was cut, yeah, so instead Link is just the legendary Winner of the Free Ipad.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Spergatory posted:

Yes, and originally all map and scope functions would've required you to look at the screen on the gamepad instead of just popping up on the tv like a reasonable video game. Thank God for that Switch port. :v:

I doubt it would've required it. Usually Wii U games let you switch between gamepad only, TV only, or TV with map/inventory displayed on the gamepad at the same time. They cut the dual screen option from BotW though because they didn't want the Wii U version having extra functionality over the Switch.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Beat the DLC, some of the new shrines were cool, the new divine beast was cool. Motorcycle seems rad but doesn't add that much to my 5*speed summonable horse, it already went so fast that the game froze once or twice to load an area as I was racing through it. Also, since I've done basically everything in the game save for completing the koroks there isn't much use for the bike or new outfits. Love wearing the ganon cape though.

Bit on the fence if it's good value. Base game is like $50-60 and gave me 150+ hours of content, the DLC was a lot shorter. Also some of the features should have been in the base game already. If they'd added an entirely new area then that would have been better.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
It’s pretty much Zelda: Some More Shrines and a Bike.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

It's easy to miss, but some of the residents in the town near each Divine Beast get new dialogue related to that Beast's Champion, and also the Champion's diary gets left some place where you can read through it. The new shrines and Divine Best and boss and bike and character backstory stuff make the DLC a pretty solid value IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
So maybe it's just the increased activity I'm doing in-game from the DLC but does anyone feel like Blood Moons are happening more frequently? I'd typically see a blood moon perhaps once every other session, but as soon as I started hitting all the new DLC I'm getting it twice per session on my Wii U. And by "session" I'm talking 2-3 hours of playing.