Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
How actually do you trigger the Leg Blast skill? I have to use it 5 times to finish off this 2 star but as much as I use her she's never ticked up a single use.

It's the one that says Absorb 60% of critical damage dealt as HP. Is it just Critting off her attacks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

The worst feeling is setting up a bunch of orbs and forgetting to activate (ch8 spoilers)ascended aegis mode before you initiate the chain attack. Rip to the lost damage :rip:

dropping 2mil chain attacks on fuckers is the real battle plan

brand engager fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 10, 2017

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe

tap my mountain posted:

Wow I guess knuckle blades are just plain bad unless you control her yourself

E: they could be good if they have outstanding healing passive skills

I use Nora the lightning healer knuckle blade on nia and she has heal on damage abilities. It is admittedly less healing coming out but it does help. I have her geared for damage and It works for me pretty well.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Where's Morag/Mor Ardain's accent supposed to be from

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Calaveron posted:

Where's Morag/Mor Ardain's accent supposed to be from

Its Welsh iirc

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

How actually do you trigger the Leg Blast skill? I have to use it 5 times to finish off this 2 star but as much as I use her she's never ticked up a single use.

It's the one that says Absorb 60% of critical damage dealt as HP. Is it just Critting off her attacks?

Leg Blast is her Nth special. Probably number 2 if I remember right. You have to use level 2 specials with that blade equipped.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Knuckles are the closest to an offensive healer the game has. You poo poo out damage (comparable to attack blades) with huge cancel combos and very fast regen but you gotta be the one playing to heal effectively. You also really depend on the blade being any good since the specials make or break the knuckle blades.

Adenine sucks major rear end, for example. Kora is half decent with the potions never respawning and huge movement heal gimmick, but the best knuckle blade by far imo is Nim.

Not only her level 1 special heals a decent amount of damage, it's a guaranteed full party heal if it's the start of a blade combo because of her ability. Her level 3 special is another guaranteed full heal, as is her level 4. Having 80% extra damage against beasts is also awesome, given that beasts are half the enemies. If you go full attack on her aux cores it actually improves your healing since the heals based on damage dealt.

She became completely obsolete after you get the plot healing blade, but she's still on my team for when I have to emergency swap blades to heal.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Zore posted:

Its Welsh iirc

I thought Nia/Gormott was supposed to be Welsh

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I remember someone saying Morag was Scottish.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I use Nim's Level 3 so so much, it's a powerful move

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Andrast posted:

The buffs from pouch items are really really powerful

I recall people mentioning that the ones with 1.0 (or more?) to special per second are crazy powerful simply from that buff alone. With the right pouch items a person can do 1-2-3 combos by themselves too IIRC.

brand engager posted:

The worst feeling is setting up a bunch of orbs and forgetting to activate (ch8 spoilers)ascended aegis mode before you initiate the chain attack. Rip to the lost damage :rip:

dropping 2mil chain attacks on fuckers is the real battle plan

I am bad at chains. If I have 2 orbs up my idiot party will hit different orbs even if they're using the same goddamn element on their blades (IE: All 3 of them attack with a wind blade, but 2 of them hit an earth orb and one hits wind or w/e) so I end up with 0 bursts and a lovely chain instead of a 2 burst chain for what'd probably be a couple hundred thousand damage. :sigh:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

I recall people mentioning that the ones with 1.0 (or more?) to special per second are crazy powerful simply from that buff alone. With the right pouch items a person can do 1-2-3 combos by themselves too IIRC.

I am bad at chains. If I have 2 orbs up my idiot party will hit different orbs even if they're using the same goddamn element on their blades (IE: All 3 of them attack with a wind blade, but 2 of them hit an earth orb and one hits wind or w/e) so I end up with 0 bursts and a lovely chain instead of a 2 burst chain for what'd probably be a couple hundred thousand damage. :sigh:

I think the elemental weaknesses are all pairs like fire<->water, earth<->thunder, etc

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Evil Fluffy posted:

I found an instrument that gives 2.0 per second to specials! Haven't used it yet, but I imagine it's pretty crazy. Unlocked from one of the high end mercenary missions to unlock goods.

For chains, you can cheese it a bit by giving one blade per party member an aux core that targets already damaged orbs. That way you can at least guarantee that you will break an orb by hitting it 3 times even if you don't have the right weakness. Takes up an aux core slot, but honestly who bothers to kit out all 18+ slots per party with perfectly optimal cores anyway?

As a neat aside, I found that some deeds boost the number of pouch items you can carry by 10. I found 3 of them so far, and being able to carry 33 instruments or 40 food items is pretty amazing. I'm currently force-feeding blades cheap pouch items because I can purchase 120 super cheap foodstuffs and just mash A over and over until I'm done. For people looking to do similar, most of the shops don't get their final items until after you unlock the last major city; trade flows both ways, after all.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I guess that would explain why I have all these places at max development and have done their contract merc missions and still can't get the deeds.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

nerdz posted:

Knuckles are the closest to an offensive healer the game has. You poo poo out damage (comparable to attack blades) with huge cancel combos and very fast regen but you gotta be the one playing to heal effectively. You also really depend on the blade being any good since the specials make or break the knuckle blades.

Adenine sucks major rear end, for example. Kora is half decent with the potions never respawning and huge movement heal gimmick, but the best knuckle blade by far imo is Nim.

Not only her level 1 special heals a decent amount of damage, it's a guaranteed full party heal if it's the start of a blade combo because of her ability. Her level 3 special is another guaranteed full heal, as is her level 4. Having 80% extra damage against beasts is also awesome, given that beasts are half the enemies. If you go full attack on her aux cores it actually improves your healing since the heals based on damage dealt.

She became completely obsolete after you get the plot healing blade, but she's still on my team for when I have to emergency swap blades to heal.

I also happened to get Lim on Nia but this makes me want to swap her to Rex. Are overdrive protocols a limited item in the game or will I always be able to get more?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

PageMaster posted:

I also happened to get Lim on Nia but this makes me want to swap her to Rex. Are overdrive protocols a limited item in the game or will I always be able to get more?

I would suggest never overdriving anything on to Rex. There are two really good attacking blades he gets through the plot, and another good healing blade he gets through the plot. There are other, more spoilery reasons to not do so as well.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

Leathal posted:

I have bad news for you

Edit: Ursula's affinity gates are seriously the worst thing in this game. She's potentially the most fun and best healing blade for 80% of the game but by the time you grind 99 voice/looks/soul you've probably unlocked the ultra healing blade which means not only do you not have a reason to run Ursula - you also never really get to run her when she's relevant because she's always tied up in merc missions.

Also her longass voice lines when sending her off on a mission. :argh:

Welp, might as well grind some salvage for Sheba's affinity and get caught up on podcasts at the same time. Thanks!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PageMaster posted:

Are overdrive protocols a limited item in the game or will I always be able to get more?
Oh, you'll love this: NOBODY KNOWS.

We do know there are three easy ones in chests and five you get from maxing each party member's SP grid.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I know people have said you can release Rare Blades and then eventually reopen them on someone else, but has anyone who has done this confirmed whether or not this resets that blade's affinity grid?

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I think I can confirm a crash is going to happen soon if you start having hosed up audio especially during fights. Second time it's happened like that.

The game seems like it takes longer to load the more poo poo you collect.

Also, merc missions are great for knocking off kill X in buttplug valley for rare blades.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Pandoria’s hosed up lightbulb shoulders creep me out more than they should

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I really wished that once you beat the game, you could disengage pyra and let anyone engage all blades. It sucks that you can't.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Virgin XB2: Towns with elaborate songs that include a church-esque chorus
Chad XBX: HUH YEAH HUHH YEAAHHH

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Calaveron posted:

Pandoria’s hosed up lightbulb shoulders creep me out more than they should

of all the weird/creepy blade designs in the game only her and azami actually give me the creeps

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I just found out that ...Morag... is a playable character, and I want to play as them right now instead of having to wait

I hope theyre good.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Went back and beat it after some sleep. Everything but the love story was fine.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm fighting Akhos and Malos in Chapter 3 and I'm really getting my rear end kicked, I can hardly do damage to them. I'm around level 27, but I don't feel like I'm effective at all in this fight. Is there something specific I'm supposed to be doing?

I also don't really see the benefit of Chain attacks over keeping the party gauge around to res downed party members. Chain attacks only reach about 15k for me, none of this 2mil bullshit I see everywhere, and it always ends after three chains for me. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, how viable is it to try and spec people's Blades up for specific seals? e.g. the battle I'm fighting right now uses a lot of Seal Blade, Seal Driver, Knockback/Blowout and some bullshit HP shields, should I mix up Blades to try and get those seals specifically or is it not viable?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Oh, you'll love this: NOBODY KNOWS.

We do know there are three easy ones in chests and five you get from maxing each party member's SP grid.

MOTHERFUCKER THAT EXPLAINS WHY I CAN'T DO IT ANYMORE. Why make Key Items consumable??? What the gently caress????

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 11, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pollyanna posted:

I'm fighting Akhos and Malos in Chapter 3 and I'm really getting my rear end kicked, I can hardly do damage to them. I'm around level 27, but I don't feel like I'm effective at all in this fight. Is there something specific I'm supposed to be doing?

I also don't really see the benefit of Chain attacks over keeping the party gauge around to res downed party members. Chain attacks only reach about 15k for me, none of this 2mil bullshit I see everywhere, and it always ends after three chains for me. Am I doing something wrong?

Focus on Akhos to trigger the next bit

I'd guess most people doing chain attacks like that are deeper in the game so they hit harder. I'm in chapter six but I've had some blade combo finishers go off for over 100k by themselves.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I like Pandoria she's a great design

It's a shame they gently caress it all up by removing the big cartoon glasses lens at some point. I'm not sure when it even happened but soon as I noticed it I got bummed out.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

IcePhoenix posted:

Focus on Akhos to trigger the next bit

I'd guess most people doing chain attacks like that are deeper in the game so they hit harder. I'm in chapter six but I've had some blade combo finishers go off for over 100k by themselves.

I am focusing on Akhos :gonk: Do I need to take him to half HP or something?

Is there a trick to getting chain attacks to go as long as possible? Also, should I always be firing off Arts only at the end of a combo, or can I do it by canceling any attack?

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

Tales of Woe posted:

of all the weird/creepy blade designs in the game only her and azami actually give me the creeps

I unlocked Azami last night, and wow her intro cutscene is nightmare fuel

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

I am focusing on Akhos :gonk: Do I need to take him to half HP or something?

Is there a trick to getting chain attacks to go as long as possible? Also, should I always be firing off Arts only at the end of a combo, or can I do it by canceling any attack?

Your party gets an extra round of attacks for every elemental orb that bursts, and if that full burst gauge fills during a chain attack the party just goes loving wild.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also remember each orb takes 3 hits to break and hitting it with the opposite element counts as 2 hits (Fire/Water, Ice/Wind, Lightning/Earth, Light/Dark)

Also late game you get a plot blade that hits every orb which is just :getin:

Zore fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 11, 2017

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Budging along into what I assume is very early chapter 4! I hate the pickpocketing children thing, it's usually a long slog of a detour and you usually don't even get to be mean to them about it at the end of the business.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's an aux core called elemental orb ender that let's you destroy orbs with one single hit from the opposing element. I got one of these in each party member so I can burst 3 orbs in the first turn. It really boosts the damage you can do on chain attacks.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Okay, this google doc says Poppi Alpha's favorite drink is fizz juice, but it's not going up in her menu and that affinity line is unlocked. What gives?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Big Number Chain Combos come from elemental orbs. Each three-stage elemental combo creates one for the third-stage element. Set up three or four different ones, THEN start the Chain Combo. Pop an orb per round by using its weakness (or brute force) and you extend the combo another round. Repeat, and watch the multipliers skyrocket.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I like Pandoria she's a great design

It's a shame they gently caress it all up by removing the big cartoon glasses lens at some point. I'm not sure when it even happened but soon as I noticed it I got bummed out.

Her glasses turn transparent after she opens up about their past and sharing her core.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 11, 2017

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I really don't get the :spergin: insistence on concealing the identities of the fourth and fifth party members just because people treated references to a party member that way in Xenoblade Chronicles. There's some very big story reasons to hide Seven's identity when referring to them in the original game, with XC2 it amounts to about zero surprise given their outfits scream either "recurring antagonist" or "party member" and both join relatively early on.

Okay, maybe Four makes sense just for hiding Vandham dying.

I just wanted to bring up this post a few pages back to agree, specifically that calling her Four is terrible due to the fact that it makes the spoiler you mentioned obvious. Like with how people are referring to Four with feminine nouns and also bringing that she can use cores? That's stuff that makes it really telling because it doesn't apply to who people might think it does.

Incidentally tho calling Fiora "Seven" had similar effects on spoilers :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Except in XC's case being a shitlord and spoiling their identity affects a good 50 hours of the main story, given the driving impetus for Shulk is one of revenge and coping with loss on top of everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Except in XC's case being a shitlord and spoiling their identity affects a good 50 hours of the main story, given the driving impetus for Shulk is one of revenge and coping with loss on top of everything else.

What I mean is, when I played it and heard about "Seven" it made me think about who it could be since if there's a fuss about who it is it's not gonna be someone you haven't seen, and when you think about it that way there's exactly one person in the entire game who it could be so it's easy to figure out far in advance, y'know?