Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the x11 take it was just a solution that seemed right at that point of time, but it was a very short moment, since it relied on:

* bandwidth being a bigger issue than latency, and,
* drawing on screen was expensive enough that the drawing calls an application made was an efficient compression of the state of the window on screen

the first changed within years of the solution rolling around, basically a matter of the guys doing this particular work being software guys looking at the things they had, because i suspect that any then-current network hardware guy would have told them to worry more about latency than bandwidth. the second took a bit longer, but is currently very much the opposite of true

* pixmaps are small in size and are not the bulk of drawing operations
* drawing is sufficiently complicated that you need a highly specialized and hardware-dependent server to do it
* fancy drawing can be serialized into hardware-independent command lists

the first two of these things are no longer true with the widespread adoption of 8-bit chunky truecolor pixel formats and video games programmers proving they were better than the people paid by dec and sun. also advancements in other operating systems like windows made people want more powerful drawing primitives than what x11 provided in core protocol. like vector fonts and antialiased polygons

the last one became untrue when the gpu was invented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I don’t really give a gently caress about the implementation. I just want to be able to run something on one computer and display it on another. and right now the only way to do that with desktop linux appears to be to go back to the old x11 technology that we’re constantly being told is obsolete

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

I don’t really give a gently caress about the implementation. I just want to be able to run something on one computer and display it on another. and right now the only way to do that with desktop linux appears to be to go back to the old x11 technology that we’re constantly being told is obsolete

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

Soricidus posted:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Soricidus posted:

use nomachine

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Malcolm XML posted:

use nomachine

is it open source

does it appear in the official centos repositories

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

also,

Soricidus posted:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

what about spice

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

he who controls the spice, controls the universe. the spice must flow

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the parallel man page is wild. it tell you to look at a youtube and then has like 5 screens of the difference between it and other similar programs

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Upgraded to fedora 27 via dnf.

The most refreshing thing is that there is no obnoxious popup telling me about all the fancy new features of this new update, and forcing me to hunt for a (sometimes missing) skip button.

It just has a small notification that says “packages were updated” and that’s it.

10/10 would update again

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Same here. Fedora is a good Linux. :cheers:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

did it finish tho?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

there's always this https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/28/ChangeSet

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Progressive JPEG posted:

did it finish tho?

yes

it took awhile... maybe an hour or so? and I could see the progress, including the packages being installed, which was nice

the windows creator update took an entire day on my windows laptop and the bulk of the time was an inscrutable progress message and the rest of the time was a mildly helpful percentage indicator

the most annoying part was that windows needed to reboot multiple times for this update and this was on a laptop with a bios hard drive password. So, for every reboot, I had to come back and unlock it.

Sure, I could have just removed the password, but I didn’t think I needed to enter it that many times

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

oh man, tcp wrappers is getting deprecated

I’m surprised it wasn’t removed a long time ago, especially when firewalld came around

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

el dorito posted:

oh man, tcp wrappers is getting deprecated

I’m surprised it wasn’t removed a long time ago, especially when firewalld came around

aww poo poo i think i use that to block china

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

windows rebooting a million times in an update and the progress bar moving all over is a classic though

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

hifi posted:

windows rebooting a million times in an update and the progress bar moving all over is a classic though

140% done!

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Is there really nothing in Gnome 3 like the systray in Windows? Like, I need to keep Transmission running on a desktop and have to look at the icon every time I mash alt+tab?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

thebigcow posted:

Is there really nothing in Gnome 3 like the systray in Windows? Like, I need to keep Transmission running on a desktop and have to look at the icon every time I mash alt+tab?

why dont you run it as a service

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

hifi posted:

why dont you run it as a service

.... good idea

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the only things that use the gnome "systray" equivalent are obnoxious proprietary programs whose marketing department insist that they shove their dick in your face at all times

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1031/topicons/

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

you might also be interested in the "Alternatetab" extension which you can set through gnome-tweak-tool, this will limit what applications are shown to those on your current desktop and doesn't group by application

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

gnome: all applications show up in the overview at all times, even the minimized ones
also gnome: no you can't put an icon in a system try, why would you possibly want that?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
gnome 3 is really bad

pram
Jun 10, 2001
desktop linux lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
who will fix the thread title when 2018 proves itself the year of linux on the desktop

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

gnome 3 is really bad

the good news is that you can use JavaScript to monkey patch the display compositor into doing what you want!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

gnome is really bad

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
gnome 2 was ok as a ui

a pity about the state of their SDKs, though. half-documented, or un-documented, and everything useful was deprecated approximately 100% of the time

the oaf/corba system had a lot of potential. so did java-gnome. naturally both were poorly documented and deprecated by the end of the 2.x lifecycle.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
desktop linux was sort of a credible ecological niche of its own, then the one-two punch of gnome 3 and kde 4 happened and every sane person fled to macos.

the only people left are the true believers. sometimes they produce decent software anyway, but the manpower is a fraction of what it used to be. there's maybe, i don't know, 30 people working on gnome and the entire user-facing freedesktop stack, including mesa drivers? the team that maintains whatsapp's emoji picker is probably bigger than that.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
there are some broader industry trends that make it harder than it used to be

C++ UI developers are not exactly common in the year 2017. when kde and gnome got their start, working on the systems behind a GUI involved a number of the same skillsets as working on application UIs, so it was easier to solicit volunteers

now UI SDKs are another systems programming task. who are they gonna recruit? browser developers?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

who will fix the thread title when 2018 proves itself the year of linux on the desktop

apt-get upgrade thread-title

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
we've talked a bunch about gnome 3's fuckups, but to give you an idea of the utter bug gently caress insanity that was kde 4, they created some sort of ~*ontological knowledge database*~ or whatever the gently caress (so, a search service).

this service process hosted a full embedded instance of mysql (???) like an actual standalone db server process, not the server library

you communicated with it using a protocol based on imap (?!?!?!?!) with nonstandard extensions

and to query things, from this service that embeds a full mysql database server, you'd pull down the entire collection and filter it client side (insert here a rich and sinuous tapestry of multi-lingual profanity spanning a representative cross-section of languages descending from proto indo european)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Captain Foo posted:

apt-get upgrade thread-title

please, this is an rpm-based thread, use dnf

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

what is dnf meant to stand for because whenever i see it i can only think of 'duke nukem forever' or 'did not finish', the latter of which may be appropriate in the context of linux on the desktop

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

we've talked a bunch about gnome 3's fuckups, but to give you an idea of the utter bug gently caress insanity that was kde 4, they created some sort of ~*ontological knowledge database*~ or whatever the gently caress (so, a search service).

this service process hosted a full embedded instance of mysql (???) like an actual standalone db server process, not the server library

you communicated with it using a protocol based on imap (?!?!?!?!) with nonstandard extensions

and to query things, from this service that embeds a full mysql database server, you'd pull down the entire collection and filter it client side (insert here a rich and sinuous tapestry of multi-lingual profanity spanning a representative cross-section of languages descending from proto indo european)

it's so much worse than it sounds. the system was called 'nepomuk'
  • mysql was not the primary data store. i have no idea what mysql was actually doing, because

• all the data, and all client communication, was via RDF. yes, that RDF. "semantic web" RDF. (now you see how we got to ontologies, huh?)

• the actual core database was a thing you have never heard of: https://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/

quote:

Conceptually, Virtuoso provides a “Data Junction Box” that drives enterprise and individual agility by deriving a Semantic Web of Linked Data from existing data silos.

i had never heard of virtuoso, either, until it started eating 100% of cpu on my desktop for some reason

• at some point they rewrote nepomuk to avoid the virtuoso dependency. but they rewrote it in java. which, in the early 2010s, had become the victim of a FUD campaign to purge it from linux desktops. so the working java version was never deployed by any distribution i know of, in favor of the totally broken C++/mysql/virtuoso disaster.

• there was no stable version until kde 4.11. nepomuk was removed entirely in 4.13. kde went six years without a working desktop search, and when it was finally "finished," it barely lasted six months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Generic Monk posted:

what is dnf meant to stand for because whenever i see it i can only think of 'duke nukem forever' or 'did not finish', the latter of which may be appropriate in the context of linux on the desktop

realistically it stands for nothing, as the internet seems to claim it is for "dandified <one thing or another>", which sounds pretty deep into backronym territory