Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

Jamaican patty with coco bread made, post going up tomorrow.

Need more people to join in! We've got dozens of great potential abominationssuggestions worthy of being birthed into the realm of men made.

I might, but the cupboard is bare and I will be able to go shopping tomorrow. Although, I do live in a cultural wasteland as far as shopping goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

Helith posted:

I suggest Parched Peas and also Black Pudding as other goodies from Lancashire.

From Australia how about some Fairy bread or a Halal Snack Pack?

Ah, Lancashire hotpot, whoops! I'd just read the comment about yorkshire puddings and it must have stuck at the front of my mind...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Also, I would be terrified (but in a good curious way) to see what food my nick would suggest to people.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Im gonna do parched peas and just pour some dried peas in a bowl and eat it like cereal.

Edit: Actually I might give Burgoo a try because I have a great idea of what it is.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My username is randompaui, with an i. And paui is hawaiian for all. So I guess my name would inspire some sort of Hawaiian dish.

(several minutes of wikipedia later)

Oh yeah, it'd definitely be some Hawaiian casserole, stew, or bento/plate lunch.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Please do not eat a Fleta McGurn; it sounds untasty.

I am proud that my culinary failures inspired this thread and will contribute when I am less hungover! In the meantime, requesting Utica Greens and Husband and Wife Beef.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Utica also gave birth to a dish called Chicken Riggies.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

RandomPauI posted:

Utica also gave birth to a dish called Chicken Riggies.

Ugh, don't remind me. Every Christmas we would go to my aunt and uncle's place in Rome and she would make chicken riggies and then give my vegetarian rear end plain pasta without even jarred tomato sauce on it. She also likes Trump. I hate her. You CHICKEN RIGGERED ME.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Pasta may or may not be a component of chicken riggies

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I'll pay someone to cook and eat my dumbass aunt.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

How about city chicken?

e: And the Japanese dish that translates to stranger bowl or someone-else bowl.

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 10, 2017

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Would quite like to see what you make of Dead Grandma and Cold Dog .

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Sorry no Bile Up yet. I tired myself out with the Jamaican patty, on top of having zero idea where to start with Bile Up. Sometime this week though, I promise. But with that, I present to you, Jamaican Patty with Coco Bread.

No fuckin' clue what a Jamaican Patty is, but I figure that Jamaicans eat a good bit of goat, so I'll use that. Just taking ground goat and making it into a burger patty doesn't sound appetizing, so it must be spiced up a little. I also figure that there must literally be only one set of flavors in Jamaican cuisine, and that's JERK.

So let's make some jerk goat.

I turned all of the spices/herbs into this: (no access to scotch bonnets this time of year. Habs will have to do.)

Then I browned the goat, and put everything into my pressure cooker.

Lookit how great this cooking goat looks!

While that was cooking, I made the coco bread. So I figured that "coco" with no "a" definitely mean coconut, so coconut bread it is. I have no idea how to make coconut bread, but I DO know how to make corn bread, so I just took my favorite corn bread recipe, but subbed out coconut flour for the corn meal, and coconut oil for the vegetable oil and butter. I also subbed out half of the white sugar for brown.

After 45 minutes, I figured that the goat was done, but now how to make it into a patty...

Bread came out right after I was done cleaning up the goat and pulling into into chunks.

Also reduced about 3 cups of jerk cooking liquid into about a half cup of jerk concentrate. 5 Habaneros was... Plenty... (Added 2 tbsp of brown sugar to sweeten it up and help it get a syrupy consistency)

Well, Everyone's second favorite patty type is the crab cake, so let's use that method!

Breadcrumbs, mayo, 2 tbsp jerk concentrate, an egg and some chopped scallions. While they were frying, I took another few tbsp of jerk concentrate and mixed it into some mayo to make spicy jerk mayo. loving awesome actually.

Jerk goat cakes done.

Split open some coco bread, lay down some jerk mayo, add the patty, more jerk mayo for good measure and top with some chopped scallions for freshness, but mainly so not 100% of the dish is brown.

Overall, really good. A little dry, so it was good that I had some of my latest batch of ghost pepper, mango, orange and charred onion hot sauce!

This was really loving good. I can see why this is a traditional Jamaican staple. I knew that goat with all those flavors would at least be good, but I thought the coco bread was going to be a disaster. It was the best thing actually. It's subtly sweet, definitely coconutty, but not at all overpowering. SUPER moist, with a dense but soft texture. Will 10000% be making the coco bread again, often. The jerk goat patties were good, but a little more trouble that they were worth. I'll also totally be using this jerk mayo on other stuff.

Dessert tonight will be leftover coco bread with sliced mango and lime whipped cream.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 10, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

That coco bread looks pretty good, actually. I might hit the top with some demerara sugar or toasted shredded coconut before baking next time to give it a bit more visual interest, but I can totally see it going well with a more hawiian style of pulled pork.

Also bonus points for using delicious goat.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So those goat patties look better than real Jamaican patties.

A Jamaican patty is an empanada-esque turnover, typically stuffed with spiced ground beef. Coco bread is a white bread that includes coconut oil or coconut milk. They’re often paired together as a lunch meal.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 11, 2017

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Amazing. This thread is loving fantastic.

I'm going away for three weeks but when I get back I will try to get started on some username-dishes. I think Doom Chicken would pair nicely with Funeral Potatoes, just to mix things up here. Can we get a goon with a vegetable-themed username to chime in?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Someone should make Japanese okonomiyaki, which translates as “grilled [whatever you like/however you like]”.

This is a great thread.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
amazing.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

I had no idea what a poke bowl was when I first heard the name, so someone should make a poke bowl!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

fr0id posted:

Turtle Pie

Mock Turtle Soup

or to go more ethnic, Bagna Cauda is an Italian dish (well, appetizer) roughly translated to "Warm Bath"

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 11, 2017

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doom Rooster posted:

Coco Bread & Jamaican Patty

Jesus christ Doom, this is a fantastic post. :vince:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The Australian Delicacy known as a Pie Floater, with chicken salt chips on the side.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ok, obviously chocolate gravy is a sweet dish based upon the formal technique of gravy making. a gravy is a roux emulsion that contains the fond of a meat dish. obviously, the fond of a sweet dish is... just the crusty parts of a dish, crumbed up. obviously it's a sweet only dish
some blurry pics, sorry

my oven stopped working a week ago and the technician's here in two days so here's an example baked good that i just bought

4 egg yolks. very small egg yolks, you could prolly get away w/ 3 larges

pans

add about a third stick of butter, a bit of flour, some xanthan gum for thickening and emulsification (more emulsification)

it cooks down well

instead of a fond, we just have a little bit of cake

crumbed up, and added to the roux. sorry i don't have an explicit picture of that added to the roux. turns out crumbs absorb a lot more moisture than meat fond, lol

this is our chocolate

bain marie, eggs in, stupid little custard sans cream we're making

chocolate in

chocolate melted

add the fond + roux

voila. finished w/ paprika and sea salt

in b4 :itwaspoo:

full album here
https://imgur.com/a/tuKed

overall experience much like any chocolate custard w/o cream but w/ crunchy bits

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
gently caress, spoiled myself just now and realized i got waaaay too close

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
Great effort. Chocolate gravy is a thicker chocolate sauce that gets served over biscuits. Usually a mix of cocoa powder, milk, butter, and flour.

Example here.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Jamaican beef patties were as common as chicken nuggets on school lunch menus when I was growing up, so I was honestly surprised when I moved away from South Florida and found out most people didn't know what they were. It took me even longer to make the patty = pasty connection. I really like your interpretation, though.

I have a good idea for Nun's Farts, but I'm not going to claim it or anything as I probably won't have time to make them.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 11, 2017

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
A few Kiwi ones: hangi (pronounced hung-ee), shark and tatties, pineapple lumps, muttonbird pie, frybread, pea pie and pud.

And an Aussie one: damper.

left_unattended fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 11, 2017

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

some ideas for you:
- Chess Pie
- Juicy Lucy
- Scrapple
- North Dakota-style Kuchen (this is the German word for "cake")

oh also:
- Tiger Bite sauce. In Hmong, this phrase is an idiom similar to calling someone a "son of a bitch"

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 11, 2017

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

C. Everett Koop posted:

Funeral potatoes outta be good for a laugh. Maybe.

I might do this one, I've got a couple ideas.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

How about the Japanese classic of Mother and Child? oyakodon

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I had an idea for an approach for doom rooster. Treat doom as if it were a mispronunciation/spelling of a word in another language. The options include: meanwhile rooster (Esperanto), we see rooster (Greek), stupid rooster (Dutch), they give rooster (Portuguese), they hurt rooster (Portuguese).

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

RandomPauI posted:

I had an idea for an approach for doom rooster. Treat doom as if it were a mispronunciation/spelling of a word in another language. The options include: meanwhile rooster (Esperanto), we see rooster (Greek), stupid rooster (Dutch), they give rooster (Portuguese), they hurt rooster (Portuguese).

This is a potential thesis in linguistic anthropology.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I can only hope that stupid rooster is some sort of meatless, savory pastry.

I think I've got it!

Doom Roster's name is fictionally inspired by a dish whose original name is lost to history. The recipe was associated with bad cooks who were "te dom om een worst te roosteren". In English, that translates to "To Dumb to Roast a Sausage". That recipe could have fallen out of favor by the 1800s, kept alive by a group of Dutch vegetarians who might have settled in California in the late 1800s. Over the years it was Americanized and Mexicanized because I said so.

Now I just need to figure out the evolution of the recipe. And the recipe.

Edit 2:

I have a rough idea for the recipe and the ingredients.

Ingredients: potatoes, carrots, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper, milk, crushed red pepper flakes, butter, cheese, corn tortillas

Mash potatoes, carrots, milk, butter, and seasonings together.
Put it into corn tortillas
Fry them in butter
Use leftover butter and seasonings to make a butter sauce
Pour sauce over the doom roosters
Put cheddar on top of the doom roosters.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 11, 2017

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

From Germany:
- cabbage sparrows
- sausage salad
- steam noodle
- cabbage goulash with bohemian dumplings

From China:
- sad cold (bean) starch
- tiger skin bell-pepper
- fish-head fire-pot

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Here's a picture of how the Jamaican patty and coco bread is supposed to turn out:

So you went pretty far from reality, but may have created something that should be added to authentic Jamaican cuisine immediately.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Edit: ^^^^ I love the bread, served inside another bread.

Thanks for the kind words all!

chitoryu12 posted:

So those goat patties look [i]better[i] than real Jamaican patties.

A Jamaican patty is an empanada-esque turnover, typically stuffed with spiced ground beef. Coco bread is a white bread that includes coconut oil or coconut milk. They’re often paired together as a lunch meal.

drat, not even close. Love it! Looking at those on the internet now, they also look loving awesome, and a little less effort. Might end up making those for real.

You beautiful bastard...

Liquid Communism posted:

That coco bread looks pretty good, actually. I might hit the top with some demerara sugar or toasted shredded coconut before baking next time to give it a bit more visual interest, but I can totally see it going well with a more hawiian style of pulled pork.

Also bonus points for using delicious goat.

Yeah, I was thinking that before putting it into the oven, but decided to play it super safe. Will definitely be torching a little demerara sugar post-bake next time.

Next day trip report on coconut bread dessert. Only super lovely underripe mangos at the store, so instead of just slices I stewed them into a mango lime compote topped with lime whipped cream. drat, drat good.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Depending on where you live (Florida and NYC seem to be the best choices because of the huge Caribbean diaspora), you can also find frozen Jamaican patties at the grocery store or Costco.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Depending on where you live (Florida and NYC seem to be the best choices because of the huge Caribbean diaspora), you can also find frozen Jamaican patties at the grocery store or Costco.

I used to be able to get frozen ones in town. Despite the plethora of strange looks for coworkers, they made a lovely lunch. Then, as always, once I started loving on them, the store stopped carrying them.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I just realized that I've had those here, in Quebec. A couple of months ago I bought a box of frozen ones at my local supermarket, they were good too-lazy-to-cook suppers. I didn't recognize the name because I have been reading only the French labels on food as much as possible to help me learn the language.

Mistranslations adds a wonderful new angle to this. Goddam I love this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i think i can take mother and child
there should be a listing in the op of these. like, status: suggested, taken, done, i can't keep track

• Locked thread