Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Sarsapariller posted:

I don't usually bite on the reddit cancer but that one I sent straight to the admins. poo poo needs to stop.

Agreed, if you could get hold of the admins and get them to shut down reddit that would be wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mr.Tophat posted:

I heard a rumour that Derek Smart posts links here

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
hosed up, if true

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://i.imgur.com/2Q9Nl9C.gifv

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

BREAKING: this hyperlink aint! Read all about how I end every poker game with Chris Roberts! He went all in two weeks ago and let me tell you. I. Still. Have. His. Chips.

All of them.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
I have come to terms with the constant delays and realize it actually works to the threads advantage.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

lmao that this thin skinned fruitcake is reading this thread enough to understand beltdowns.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Procedurally generated birds looking weird.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Reading someone else's forum and then responding to the goings on of that forum via twitter...and then call them the ones who stalk

:thunk:

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

I like mole rats

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mr.Tophat posted:

Reading someone else's forum and then responding to the goings on of that forum via twitter...and then call them the ones who stalk

:thunk:

I'm going to respond to this on Tumblr, then paste a link to it on Imgur.

... Christ, I'm turning into Derek. :aaa:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

:reddit:

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Dark Off posted:

It is still a Early Access. So basically really great idea for game, without any guarantee's that dev can complete it before running out of money. And dev's have done a lot of stuff right (if you love hard space sim's)

It is shaping up rather nicely. The next kessler update brings in debris cloud's and those can be pretty dangerous (literally from the movie gravity).

pictured debris hitting my base (i died taking this shot due to debris hitting me)
taken from testing build.

Going to take a moment to let everyone here know that DarkOff turned me on to this game earlier this year and it has been a really fun game with the limited things you can do in it. Darkoff also does a really great job as an ambassador for the community there and just felt a need to thank you publicly for all your help in it.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

ban dapper don for displaying gratitude

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

I'm going to respond to this on Tumblr, then paste a link to it on Imgur.

... Christ, I'm turning into Derek. :aaa:

I'll let you know if you've completely turned, I wouldn't leave you hanging like that

If you enable your signature I'll pull the trigger, don't worry about it, your soul is safe and your game is still fun

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

IF GOONS ARE BAD, STAR CITIZEN IS GOOD

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Goons have never claimed to be good though. We've always reveled in being bad.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Goons have never claimed to be good though. We've always reveled in being bad.

not only bad, but worse than paedophiles

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Well there goes any hope for my political career.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Virtual Captain posted:

Wtf is flashfire I asked google:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/electronic-access/Weapon-Roms/Hornet-Flashfire-Specialty-Mount
"Want some bigger bang for your credit… literally? These carefully designed mounts will transform larger hardpoints on the Hornet and Cutlass-class platforms to allow them to attach large weaponry"

This is straight up P2W.
Pay money for a consumable (seven, twenty four hour uses) that gives +1 size on a hardpoint. I have to give CIG credit though, 80 cents is a steal for a item like this. In other P2W mobile games, you're probably paying at least $5 for something that significantly subverts the game balance for a week.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Tokamak posted:

This is straight up P2W.
Pay money for a consumable (seven, twenty four hour uses) that gives +1 size on a hardpoint. I have to give CIG credit though, 80 cents is a steal for a item like this. In other P2W mobile games, you're probably paying at least $5 for something that significantly subverts the game balance for a week.

It cost $8. To mount a gun. Not the gun. But a different way to put your gun on your ship.

They sell different versions of this for $3 and $5 I believe. Per mount. So about $20 to make it so all of the guns on your Hornet track with your mouse. Roughly.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50259/thread/why-is-the-graphics-pipeline-waiting-for-server-up/773513

quote:

There are a few myths that seem to get repeated quite a lot - please allow me to dispel some of them for you:

* The graphics pipeline does not wait for server updates.
* Server FPS does not affect client FPS.
* Netcode does not make clients run slowly, and never has.
* Netcode does not make servers run slowly, anymore, even though we've added more clients.
* You get better performance on newer servers because there are fewer players on them so your client has to do less work - like physics, animation, IFCS, and entity updates.
* Players hacking the game to play PU in "offline mode" get better performance than they do online because their clients don't have to deal with all the load generated by 49 other players.

What is so hard about fixing the performance problems is that the game is pushing the engine way beyond what it was designed to handle. Fixing that means fundamentally changing how systems work while simultaneously trying not to break everything in the game that uses them. Big performance gains that require making big changes take time. Sometimes we have to do a lot of restructuring before we can even start working on an optimisation. Making all these changes can introduce a lot of bugs, and fixing those takes even more time. Let's also not forget that performance is not the only goal here - we're also trying to achieve fidelity levels not seen before. Fidelity is often the enemy of performance, so we find ourselves having to optimize even further than we otherwise would have had to.

Important clarifications from CIG! It's not the net code that makes the game choke and die, it's the number of players on the server that makes the game choke and die!

A very important distinction because they might improve the netcode some day, but the number of players running around is only ever going to get worse. And there's no real fix in sight, and probably never will be! Thanks CIG!

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
They said on Friday that PTU is feature locked for live.

Miles Eckert currently not featured in ptu lol

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Dusty Lens posted:

It cost $8. To mount a gun. Not the gun. But a different way to put your gun on your ship.

They sell different versions of this for $3 and $5 I believe. Per mount. So about $20 to make it so all of the guns on your Hornet track with your mouse. Roughly.

Oh. I rechecked the link, and it was the rental for 800 REC. 8,000 UEC for the full version lol.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Tokamak posted:

Oh. I rechecked the link, and it was the rental for 800 REC. 8,000 UEC for the full version lol.

I understand that your brain would refuse to accept that your eyes are informing that CIG is charging people $8 for something that allows you to mount a $16 gun on a $120 ship for a game that's been in prealpha since 2011 that they're asking you to test for them.

Then you calculate in that the thing being sold hasn't worked for a year and a half yet remains in the store.
Then you're told that they haven't really thought about how they'll handle refunds on stuff that they decide wont be in the final game. But that they don't want to screw up by adding some kind of kneejerk plan such as giving you store credit for the thing that not only does not work but they never plan to make work.

Because cripes.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Tokamak posted:

Want to mount a capital ship class weapon on your small fighter? Only $8 per week! This is not P2W because it's crowdfunding and Chris Roberts also made Wing Commander in the 90s.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Sarsapariller posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50259/thread/why-is-the-graphics-pipeline-waiting-for-server-up/773513

Important clarifications from CIG! It's not the net code that makes the game choke and die, it's the number of players on the server that makes the game choke and die!

A very important distinction because they might improve the netcode some day, but the number of players running around is only ever going to get worse. And there's no real fix in sight, and probably never will be! Thanks CIG!

:wtc:

How in the gently caress can anybody read this bullshit and think that the project is in good hands

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

SCtrumpHaters posted:

They said on Friday that PTU is feature locked for live.

Miles Eckert currently not featured in ptu lol

I don't think "feature locked" means anything in a Croberts project.

chochmah
Sep 27, 2015
If someone already posted this, sorry:

quote:

CIG Lead Network Programmer - "Netcode does not make clients run slowly, and never has."

quote:

There are a few myths that seem to get repeated quite a lot - please allow me to dispel some of them for you:

* The graphics pipeline does not wait for server updates.
* Server FPS does not affect client FPS.
* Netcode does not make clients run slowly, and never has.
* Netcode does not make servers run slowly, anymore, even though we've added more clients.
* You get better performance on newer servers because there are fewer players on them so your client has to do less work - like physics, animation, IFCS, and entity updates.
* Players hacking the game to play PU in "offline mode" get better performance than they do online because their clients don't have to deal with all the load generated by 49 other players.

What is so hard about fixing the performance problems is that the game is pushing the engine way beyond what it was designed to handle. Fixing that means fundamentally changing how systems work while simultaneously trying not to break everything in the game that uses them. Big performance gains that require making big changes take time. Sometimes we have to do a lot of restructuring before we can even start working on an optimisation. Making all these changes can introduce a lot of bugs, and fixing those takes even more time. Let's also not forget that performance is not the only goal here - we're also trying to achieve fidelity levels not seen before. Fidelity is often the enemy of performance, so we find ourselves having to optimize even further than we otherwise would have had to.

Spectrum: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50259/thread/why-is-the-graphics-pipeline-waiting-for-server-up/773513
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7iz016/cig_lead_network_programmer_netcode_does_not_make/

Edit: reading through the spectrum thread is interesting, some are coping the usual way: "It could be thread contention that is blocking the CPU from being 100% utilized", some inch a little bit closer towards the realization that not all is well in the state of croberts: "Me thinks you opened a can of worms with your response...".

chochmah fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 11, 2017

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Gentlemen, Ladies, I am thrilled to report that a long ago dream, one once thought only a fantasy, is finally at hand. Oh sure, I was a skeptic once, I’ll be the first to admit it. But my friends with Cloud Imperium Games, a promise made is a promise kept.

Behold!

“10 for the Developers - May 16th, 2016” posted:

TheDeadlyKenny:
Does Star Citizen plan to have loose clothing physics? As in, if you had a trench coat or cape and you moved, would the clothing 'flutter' or 'flap' in both atmospheric environments and in space?

Fluttering, billowing, flapping and flowing fabrics are IN!

Say goodbye to Legacy Armor — that crap is tacky, clunky and just so cliched. Say hello to space capes, shawls, tunics, and other exotic wears to let you Get Your Flap On(tm) as you EVA boldly, elegantly, dare I say rakishly through the vacuum of space. Your enemies will know you, fear you and want to be you — for your menacing yet oh so stylish billow becomes you, even as you become death.

Come on, CIG. Now that you’ve cracked the billowing fabric nut, and you’ve got Face Over IP on the fast track, put them lady models with their Hip Sway in the game. You’d have all the requisite ingredients to put some Sassitude in the ‘Verse and drat, I am ready for someone to bring that back to gaming!

G0RF fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 11, 2017

Rantista
Oct 20, 2017

Duh. Without the netcode there is no game and if you haven't built from the beginning its very hard to get done later one. The Amazon networking engine wont work, its designed for 10-16 players max.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Sarsapariller posted:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

"fidelity levels not seen before" eh? Reality distortion field appears to be in working order.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

boviscopophobic posted:

I don't think "feature locked" means anything in a Croberts project.

feature locked

behind a paywall

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Congratulations to Clive Johnson, the latest CIG employee to stick a foot in their mouth. The reddit thread is shooting its way up to the top to become this week's controversy.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

G0RF posted:

Gentlemen, Ladies, I am thrilled to report that a long ago dream, one once thought only a fantasy, is finally at hand. Oh sure, I was a skeptic once, I’ll be the first to admit it. But my friends with Cloud Imperium Games, a promise made is a promise kept.

* clicks stopwatch *
1 year, 7 months? Not your best lap Roberts, let's try another another pass at Mile's jacket. Focus on how far you've come, not how far you have to go and all that.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

I guess I really don't know anything about game development as these sorts of things seem like the kinds of problems I would hope to tackle three years before the game was supposed to release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
It's not the netcode guys, just the data we send over the network

:goonsay:

we're not selling land