Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Well he does like all the voices soooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

...not really? You just seem to think South Park is actually above doing that, and people are pointing out that they're absolutely the gently caress not above doing that and have done similar jokes and worse in the past.

I mean, you guys produced a long list of things that are not a child sex orgy. They are things that are tasteless, violent, upsetting, or disturbing. But they're not a bunch of kids explicitly loving each other, and especially not loving each other to scare away a homosexual, which is where this whole derail came from.

And all of those things listed served an actual narrative purpose. Ike loving his teacher was satirical. It was demonstrating how loving wrong it is that people don't see a hot female teacher loving a boy student as abuse.

Bust Rodd posted:

Actually I suggested they just smooch but you took it there in your creepy derail.

Also there was the episode where Kenny climbed into the bus driver’s vagina for a reality TV show

You wanted Cartman to get cucked, which is the stupidest loving meme. No, it's not explicitly a child orgy, but it was in response to someone thinking that there could possibly have been a child orgy in the episode and you were offering an alternative. I assure you that me saying, "I don't think there should be child orgies or child cucking in South Park," is not me taking this thread to creepy places. I'm trying to do the exact opposite of that. I'm saying, "Hey guys, maybe South Park doesn't need these things to be interesting or funny." And you guys thankfully provided a whole list of things that South Park has done that were funny and didn't involve a child orgy.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Anyone think the show would be better if Matt and Trey left?

What would the show even be without Matt and Trey?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Solice Kirsk posted:

Anyone think the show would be better if Matt and Trey left?

Yes, I'm sure the show would survive if the people that voice 90% of the characters quit.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
How many shows have been able to just maintain quality, not improve, after the original creative force left? Veep is the only show I can think of. The Simpsons having a complete turnover in the writing team certainly didn't work in its favor.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Matt & Trey still being heavily involved is the only thing that makes the show have any dignity after 21 years. Even if it's not great it still feels like itself, it feels genuine. Changing the creative team could potentially make it funnier, but it wouldn't be South Park anymore.

Also, having a story arc as a C-story like this season did isn't really "serialization" or even a new thing for this very show. Almost every season has something like that -- remember the season where Kenny was dead? Or even any white bread '90s sitcom you can name. It's very common for episodic TV.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The kenny dead season didn't have a c plot or any arc to it beyond a few bits with kenny soul trapped in cartman though. Sure they made a few gags. But the episodes could be watched in any order and be the same aside from the butters and tweak swap for replacement kenny.

But with cartman and heidi, the c plot was actually serialized and had a story arc of sorts.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Bust Rodd posted:

Well he does like all the voices soooooo

Seth Macfarlane wasn't doing as much of the writing on Family Guy in recent years. Say what you will about the quality of that show but he hasn't been that creatively involved and still just doing voices. It's not inconceivable that Matt and Trey step back.

To be honest, creatively this season of South Park was far less of a let down than the difference between Stick of Truth and Fractured but Whole.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I've been rewatching the earlier seasons, and by far the best years are late 00s to early-mid 10s. The early seasons are too dumb, albeit with a few charmers in there. They needed to get rid of characters like mr hat, mephisto, and the bus driver lady to name a few to make the show more grounded.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The best seasons start in s5 and go to somewhere in the early teens.

So that would be around 01 > 10 or so. It's hard to say when the run ended but it's easy to say s5 is where they hit their stride. s6 is unarguably one of the best seasons they have done.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

sticklefifer posted:

Hey man did you see these apples? They're exactly the same as these oranges!

Sorry about your fruit blindness.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean, I guess they could've done a throwaway gag where Stephen King is in town (for some reason?) and they could have him like sniffing his fingers and acting really sketchy, and then he runs into the kids in the woods and he suggests that all the kids have a big gangbang.

But that kind of random, obscure and pointless celebrity cameo and pop culture reference would be what Family Guy would've done. I don't think there's any way to work that in that'd be funny.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

King Vidiot posted:

I mean, I guess they could've done a throwaway gag where Stephen King is in town (for some reason?) and they could have him like sniffing his fingers and acting really sketchy, and then he runs into the kids in the woods and he suggests that all the kids have a big gangbang.

But that kind of random, obscure and pointless celebrity cameo and pop culture reference would be what Family Guy would've done. I don't think there's any way to work that in that'd be funny.

Maybe if he's also the one who convinces them to go into the woods in the first place. And then after suggesting the gangbang, it turns out that he's actually Roy Moore in disguise, and then it turns out that Roy Moore and Garrison are both just part of a big alien spider thing, and then the kids point out that none of this makes any sense or logically follows from the preceding events.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Atlas Hugged posted:

I mean, we're talking about a child sex orgy or children cucking Cartman. It's less that it's in bad taste and more that's it's a weird sexual fetish with children. It doesn't really belong on TV in any capacity.

This show once had an episode full of talk about four year olds' "'ginies tingling".

That is the point at which South Park becomes too much.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Can we stop talking about the children and gangbangs? I was horrified until someone pointed out it was an IT reference, at which point I'm like "well, then at least its not as bad as the guy who said he wanted Rick to "blow a load in Morty's hiney'", but everyone keeps talking about ways to work in the gangbang and have Stephen King sniffing his fingers and it's starting to creep me out even more now.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Phenotype posted:

Can we stop talking about the children and gangbangs? I was horrified until someone pointed out it was an IT reference, at which point I'm like "well, then at least its not as bad as the guy who said he wanted Rick to "blow a load in Morty's hiney'", but everyone keeps talking about ways to work in the gangbang and have Stephen King sniffing his fingers and it's starting to creep me out even more now.

IMO it's hosed up that we would ever let Stephen King forget what he did.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Bust Rodd posted:

Actually I suggested they just smooch but you took it there in your creepy derail.

Also there was the episode where Kenny climbed into the bus driver’s vagina for a reality TV show

that was not kenny iirc

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Phenotype posted:

Can we stop talking about the children and gangbangs?

It will never stop because if It is brought up because someone always tries their hardest to work in a child sex reference even with the flimsiest of connections. It's like a badge of honor or something if they get to introduce someone to the fact a thing happened in a book.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

that was not kenny iirc

Reminds me that Kenny gave Howard Stern a blowjob in the same episode.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 10, 2017

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Phenotype posted:

What the gently caress did you think the sniffing fingers thing was about.

I was talking about cocaine, dude did a lot of coke. Where the hell was your mind at?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL @ complaining over and over again about our child sex derail, so mortified by our content that they must continue the derail until everyone reading the thread knows that we are all crossing the imaginary line in the sand they have drawn for cartoon mid-western town.

Also I didn’t use the word cuck at all because I don’t have brain damage. It would have been a funny reference to IT and it would have just pissed Cartman off and made him really mad, which is like the exact opposite effect the d-d-dreaded “C” word is supposed to have.

Maybe stop clutching your pearls over a show that depicted using aborted fetuses to build chain pizza restaurants...

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Yes, we are all aware how important Cartman being sexually humiliated is to your fanfic.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Sexual Harassment Panda was 18 years too early

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Can we all just agree that we hope that next season is good and that this season was not their best work?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Sexual Harassment Panda was 18 years too early

I can't loving believe that episode is that old :psyduck:

I can't loving believe I'm that old.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

21 Muns posted:

IMO it's hosed up that we would ever let Stephen King forget what he did.

Seriously. That scene is like some creepy erotic fantasy he wrote. Thank loving god it was never in the movies.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

Seth Macfarlane wasn't doing as much of the writing on Family Guy in recent years. Say what you will about the quality of that show but he hasn't been that creatively involved and still just doing voices. It's not inconceivable that Matt and Trey step back.

To be honest, creatively this season of South Park was far less of a let down than the difference between Stick of Truth and Fractured but Whole.

Would you mind elaborating? I just finished Fractured but never played Stick.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

evilmiera posted:

Would you mind elaborating? I just finished Fractured but never played Stick.

Fractured But Whole is a good game, but as a followup to Stick of Truth, in a lot of ways it's like a new Call of Duty game.

SoT had the surprise value to it, in that nobody knew what to expect from a South Park game, and then it was really awesome and fun.

But Whole is more or less the same map with a different story line and collectibles in the same / different spots so it loses some of its charm.

But it's way better than the turd fest that was South Park for Nintendo 64 :D

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

It's a shame because as a game Fractured But Whole was way better than Stick of Truth (better RPG elements, much better battle system, etc.. ). It's just it wasn't as funny so Stick of Truth is the better South Park game.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'd say they are equally funny. Each has its share of good jokes.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I heard similar things about the joke/writing quality of the games, that Stick was better written but Fractured is more fun to play. Having never played Stick I can't say for sure if that is the case (aside from seeing some of the better jokes on YouTube) but I do know I had fun playing Fractured so it might just hold true.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Mr. Hat needs to come back and accuse Mr. Garrison of Sexual Harassment.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Is Mr. Slave still alivee?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Last Chance posted:

Yep, he's married to Big Gay Al and they're super happy :)

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Last Chance posted:

I remember the boys got him to call Garrison last year and call him a pussy until he shut down the internet.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

evilmiera posted:

I heard similar things about the joke/writing quality of the games, that Stick was better written but Fractured is more fun to play. Having never played Stick I can't say for sure if that is the case (aside from seeing some of the better jokes on YouTube) but I do know I had fun playing Fractured so it might just hold true.

It definitely feels like the writing on Stick of Truth was a littlr better then Fractured, but they're both great games on their own merits. The ending for Fractured did feel like how a much older episode would wrap up so that was nice.

Both games are great, and I'm glad Fractured But Whole has future DLC.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Does fractured fights require you to use more than just one op skill?

I remember playing as a mage on stick and you just had to use that fire crackers attached to a football? move and you pretty much instantly won any fight

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

The Croc posted:

Does fractured fights require you to use more than just one op skill?

I remember playing as a mage on stick and you just had to use that fire crackers attached to a football? move and you pretty much instantly won any fight

It's grid based, with attacks having zones, like all your surrounding squares, or a straight line in front of you, etc.

There is no "use this over and over mindlessly to win" attack, although you can most battles fairly quickly if you use teamwork or exploit the bosses' gimmicks.

There are about twelve classes to pick from for your character, but you eventually multiclass for story reasons, eventually unlocking them all.

There are a lot of kids to choose from this time, and can be used to support your playstyle or just because they are beautiful boys with confusing PDA. (HAND HOLDING!?!?!) Wonder Tweek and Super Craig's Ultimate Super Move is amazing, you guys.

I used the Brutalist four-way fart, the Blaster (my starting class) three square knockback flame swipe, the Cyborg magnet pull, and the Psychic super move (partywide full heals and shields) and I controlled the playing field pretty well with that. All four moves used Spunk as their base stat, so equipment choice was pretty easy. Captain Diabetes never left my party, and I also usually had Super Craig, too. They're bruisers who get shields with some of their attacks, which also have knockback so usually things happened the way I wanted them to happen. Earlier on I had Fastpass, Wonder Tweak or the Human Kite in my third slot for their heals, but once I got the Psychic and Plantomancer classes unlocked, I switched over to The Coon or Mysterion for more shoving people around.

Having said that, there are a lot of super effective strategies and party compositions one could use, it's really up to you. I sort of fell backwards into status effects and position manipulation.

Next time I probably won't use any physical attacks at all on my character, and keep the villain who switches sides in my party at all times.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 13, 2017

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Splatty Tomato was a really good episode and even though Season 21 was weak it ended well and that will have me looking forward to 22.

Randy on the bike alone made it better than the rest of the season

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Waltzing Along posted:

The best seasons start in s5 and go to somewhere in the early teens.

So that would be around 01 > 10 or so. It's hard to say when the run ended but it's easy to say s5 is where they hit their stride. s6 is unarguably one of the best seasons they have done.

FORGET ABOUT THE GELGAMECKS!?!?

EDIT: the continuity as it’s been done the last few seasons hasn’t really worked. I wish they would go back to ransom episodes about the topic of the week. Like... how did they not do an episode where Sexual Harassment Panda is accused of sexual harassment?

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Dec 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Cheers for the outline

• Locked thread