Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I really enjoyed this game but I found the sections where the story interferes with your party setup to be unfun. I know party change-ups are a pretty common element of JRPGs, but most JRPGs have tactical combat whereas Xenoblade is more about mastery of execution. So having to relearn combat with a different setup just to get through one chapter or story sequence felt more like a chore to me than a puzzle as it would in a more tactical game. And unlike other frustrating bits, you can't just take a break from the main quest and do other stuff since your party is still hosed up no matter where you go.

Overall though, it's a good game that leaves a strong impression on the music/environment/story side of things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Chapter 6, no idea how to get to theospiti temple. The characters have a cutscene making fun of how complicated it is to get there and then the quest instructions are just “get there”

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I figured out who the fourth party member would be near instantly because I'm a genius. Idk who the fifth is gonna be though

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
...did I just do an entire sidequest so a lady could write yaoi about me? this game owns so hard

e: if you figure out #4 right away you probably will also figure out #5 upon meeting them or perhaps the second time you see them

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Srice posted:

What I mean is, when I played it and heard about "Seven" it made me think about who it could be since if there's a fuss about who it is it's not gonna be someone you haven't seen, and when you think about it that way there's exactly one person in the entire game who it could be so it's easy to figure out far in advance, y'know?

Not really. XC spaces its characters out very well, so there is a large element of doubt as to who they are and what their nature in the story is.

XC2's entire lineup can be identified by a very simple piece of logic; how many people have you actually seen with unique Blades that aren't with Torna?

Calaveron posted:

Chapter 6, no idea how to get to theospiti temple. The characters have a cutscene making fun of how complicated it is to get there and then the quest instructions are just “get there”

There's a back door to the city called Theospiti Temple Ruins. Go out and down that way.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 11, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

In Training posted:

I figured out who the fourth party member would be near instantly because I'm a genius. Idk who the fifth is gonna be though

You probably figured them out backwards

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Finished.

I think it's mostly comparable to XC1 in the scope of many things. It has about the same playtime, possibly a sight bit more. Combat is better, Soundtrack is better, story is a mixed bag, but I didn't feel like it was too cliched or predictable. The localization is interesting; I felt, from listening to the Japanese voice over the with English script, that they somehow made the game MORE "anime" than it originally was in some places.

I could probably agree that if this game had the extra polish it needed to fix a few straight-up mind-boggling design choices and shortcomings with regards to menus, interface, and physics it would have matched the first one head on. It definitely feels like they were pressed to meet a deadline, and as a result they missed a few months of QA playtesting and feedback, which could have resulted in numerous quality of life improvements.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I have a very important question about Four

Why does Tora think she's a man

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

IcePhoenix posted:

If it's about the heart to heart, it's a ploy

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

IcePhoenix posted:

Its a weird recurring joke that doesn't seem to have translated to english well since it also pops up with five in a heart to heart.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

the Japanese VA's performance is gender neutral which is why Tora is confused listening to her talk

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

IcePhoenix posted:

Her japanese voice is incredibly deep. It even got me occasionally.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not really. XC spaces its characters out very well, so there is a large element of doubt as to who they are and what their nature in the story is.

Normally yeah, that's how I'd feel if I had gone in without hearing anything. But because of the fuss around "Seven" I felt it was a pretty safe guess not far into the game just because there wasn't anyone else it could be (especially because of the attitude around her identity making it easy to think about the person who had been in my party for all of 20 minutes before "dying").

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Argh, the prospecting sidequest for Agate freaking sucks! Why do they put the nodes that require prospecting 2 and 3 on the map when I only have prospecting 1.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Calaveron posted:

I got stuck here too, it's kind of a bullshit thing: You go out the back of the city and across the bridges, there's a part where it looks like you're dead-ended by a gap but there's actually a way-too-subtle interactible icicle nearby that you can knock over to cross it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The Moon Monster posted:

Argh, the prospecting sidequest for Agate freaking sucks! Why do they put the nodes that require prospecting 2 and 3 on the map when I only have prospecting 1.
Because they hate us.

Apparently one of the relevant first four nodes to get to 2 is in an area that doesn't open up until chapter 8, also, I sure as hell haven't gotten far enough to get it.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

The more heart to hearts and other conversations I see, the more I really enjoy Tora as a character. It pains me that he's stuck with less blades than the others for so long since it makes me want to use him less. On the other hand, even with only his first two blades, he is still a beastly tank with Topple and Smash, so I guess that's cool.

Also earlier I got to do a 6 orb break chain for the first time and it was incredible.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Tales of Woe posted:

I got stuck here too, it's kind of a bullshit thing: You go out the back of the city and across the bridges, there's a part where it looks like you're dead-ended by a gap but there's actually a way-too-subtle interactible icicle nearby that you can knock over to cross it.

Yeah, it scared the poo poo out of me
And I think I’m finally having my Gaur Plains moment with this Titan, I mean goddamn

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

quote:

For the original Xenoblade Chronicles game, this character design artwork simply didn’t exist; all we had were costume designs for the clothing the characters wore. This meant we were forced to create the CG character models to fit those costume designs. And what’s more, the only artwork released of those characters were retouched versions of their CG models – there was no concept art to speak of, not like this at any rate. This exposes one of our shortcomings at Monolith, but for this project, Saito-san (Masatsugu Saito – Main Character Design) and Tek-kun (Tetsuya Nomura – Torna Character Design) covered for and supported us on the character design front, and I’m truly thankful to them for their efforts.

Them planning ahead made it worse

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I’m sure there’s a strategy and visual cues that will help me get through this boss fight in chapter 6 but god knows if I can figure it out through the unending cacophony of battle cries and poo poo exploding on screen

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Sick and tired of having to deal with these three idiots over and over and nothing ever happens to them

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Calaveron posted:

Sick and tired of having to deal with these three idiots over and over and nothing ever happens to them
actually if you watch the cutscenes I think you'll find that you lost every single one of those fights and none of them were even remotely close :goonsay:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DACK FAYDEN posted:

actually if you watch the cutscenes I think you'll find that you lost every single one of those fights and none of them were even remotely close :goonsay:

Cutscene-wise you kick their rear end every time except chapter 3.

Its Jin you always lose to because goddamn is his power bullshit.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Chapter 4 starts with "Yeah, we couldn't stop Jin even with 5000 soldiers. Better to ignore him."

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
And then Jin calling out Rex on not seeing that Pyra was so hurt like bitch you were the one stabbing her and having her threaten to incinerate herself with a targeting laser don’t give me that poo poo

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

You can instantly find out who your party members are because the blade menu shows you if you look at the rare blade tab. It's just some people wanting to be polite, though a lot of people just kind of drop plot spoilers/locations without tags in this thread so I have no idea what etiquette we're going for.

Like is it a spoiler to say Pandoria loses her goofy cloudly glasses effect?? I have no idea.

In response to losing to those 3 idiots, my highlight moment of the entire game was in chapter 6's end. You defeat Akhos and his idiot party and the cutscene shows them defeated and out of options and holy poo poo for once you won. Then Jin shows up and as soon as his scene is over Akhos has all his weapons back "heh we were never beat :DDD" happens.

Or the most hilarious one in chapter 7 when Malos gets body horror'd and falls off a cliff screaming. He shows up like 2 cutscenes later "haha u didn't win." like come on now.

Early in the game I misread that Akhos dies in chapter 3 and was like god I'm so glad the annoying one is going to be gone. The fact he's still around is upsetting. Who the gently caress even is this idiot.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Ch 7, currently watching the first cutscene
I hope eventually everybody beats the poo poo out of Rex in this cutscene

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Oh poo poo here coMES POPPI

EDIT: Aww

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Oh poo poo here coMES POPPI

EDIT: Aww

Yeah, Poppi gets some really rad scenes in the last few chapters.

All the blades do really, the drivers get kind of weirdly dropped except Rex.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
finished chapter 4

is morag a permanent character? I don't want to devote time if not

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

horchata posted:

finished chapter 4

is morag a permanent character? I don't want to devote time if not

Yes. You can check whether someone's going to be permanent by seeing whether they can resonate with any core crystals or not (Tora aside).

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Both Tora and Poppi own even if you don't necessarily use them later on.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

triple cuck posted:

Both Tora and Poppi own even if you don't necessarily use them later on.

Poppi is absolutely insanely good. And across her first two forms has access to rare field skills that crop up loving everywhere so Tora never left my party. Also even just a little bit of Tiger Tiger lets you turn Poppi into a fantastic off healer by giving her the art enhancement that makes them all spawn health potions, along with all the best tanking modifiers that no other tank can get together. And you can give her a bunch of good damage modifiers that let her out-damage most of the shittier attacking blades.

Plus her third form gets a launch!

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 11, 2017

horchata
Oct 17, 2010

Zore posted:

Poppi is absolutely insanely good. And across her first two forms has access to rare field skills that crop up loving everywhere so Tora never left my party. Also even just a little bit of Tiger Tiger lets you turn Poppi into a fantastic off healer by giving her the art enhancement that makes them all spawn health potions, along with all the best tanking modifiers that no other tank can get together. And you can give her a bunch of good damage modifiers that let her out-damage most of the shittier attacking blades.

Plus her third form gets a launch!

that sounds good and all but I hate playing tiger tiger

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You can instantly find out who your party members are because the blade menu shows you if you look at the rare blade tab. It's just some people wanting to be polite, though a lot of people just kind of drop plot spoilers/locations without tags in this thread so I have no idea what etiquette we're going for.

Like is it a spoiler to say Pandoria loses her goofy cloudly glasses effect?? I have no idea.

The thing is your potential candidate pool for party members consists of the non-Torna people you have seen that have a unique Blade.

It's an extremely small pool.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The thing is your potential candidate pool for party members consists of the non-Torna people you have seen that have a unique Blade.

It's an extremely small pool.

And Architect help everyone with a unique blade that isn't in your party.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zore posted:

And across her first two forms has access to rare field skills that crop up loving everywhere so Tora never left my party.

Active blades on people not in your combat party still help with field skills

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

Active blades on people not in your combat party still help with field skills

But they lag hard in trust growth and you want to get Poppi a to max Super-strength and Leaping which are at tier 4 affection.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So is there something under the cloud sea? Or is it like in XB1 where it’s an implied thing that it’s just more cloud sea/the ocean and sky where Mechonis and Bionis stand stretch out literally to infinity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Calaveron posted:

So is there something under the cloud sea? Or is it like in XB1 where it’s an implied thing that it’s just more cloud sea/the ocean and sky where Mechonis and Bionis stand stretch out literally to infinity

There is, yes.

You go there at one point.