Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Q No deals for one so young. Remember the wizard's adage, do not call up what ye cannot put down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Q doesn't seem worth it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Q

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Q Best not mess with that one... yet.

Question: How much life was in those drops of blood from the Sejin?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Please sing a song

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I E Q

"How many years of Sejin's life did he give with that blood to free you?"

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
P

A drop of my blood to ensure the Sejin's safe return. Without him we are lost.

He would not forgive us or the Naiad for any other bargain struck at this moment.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

G
E
Q

I'm not comfortable being risky yet.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Prince of Space posted:

P

Oh I like this one. Plan Prince of Space

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Prince of Space posted:

"I can't do that... or rather, I could, but he'd know it was me. He'd know a bargain was struck, and I can't risk his wrath. Sorry child. But I'm sure the Sejin is fine, he's survived worse than a few bugs." she looks as disappointed as you feel.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

How much life was in those drops of blood from the Sejin?

"Roughly a month each. So eight months in total"

TheCog fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 10, 2017

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Q

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm hungry. Can you make a tasty meal for me?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

I'm hungry. Can you make a tasty meal for me?

"I'm afraid I don't know how to cook. I don't really... eat" she lets out a burbling giggle, like its some form of punctuation.

Jesus is colourblin
Apr 13, 2008

Being colourblind ain't easy :(
G
D
Q

This thread is good stuff.

Jesus is colourblin
Apr 13, 2008

Being colourblind ain't easy :(
Have you ever met one of the magi?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

TheCog posted:

"I'm afraid I don't know how to cook. I don't really... eat" she lets out a burbling giggle, like its some form of punctuation.

Can you make me some really, really, really tasty water?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I like our gigglesome new friend

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

IEQ

What's your favorite joke?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
IEQ

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Jesus is colourblin posted:

Have you ever met one of the magi?

"I don't think I have. If the Sejin's tales are true though, they're a boring bunch. Although maybe I have? I've met a few boring people."

Slaan posted:

Can you make me some really, really, really tasty water?

"Sure" she says with another giggle, she cups her hands, and they fill with water. The water starts clear, but she concentrates, and it turns into a foul smelling brackish thing, tinted a disturbing brown-red color. You smell it, and it smells like swamp water. Feeling especially brave, you try it. It *tastes* like swamp water, and you hurriedly spit it out. The taste of rot lingers in your mouth for the next few hours.

Magnusth posted:

What's your favorite joke?
"A man is taking a boat along a river, when he sees what he thinks is a constricted wave, but as he approaches, it looks more and more like an eddyline... when he gets to it, he realizes its a Jiao!" She laughs, and her laughter reminds you of nothing more than water rushing down a stream.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

What's mana?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Ask her if she could live in a raincloud, imo

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
GDQ

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

What's a geas? How would breaking it..Change you?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
1G 2E

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
What would happen if I drank you instead of water created by you? How much of you could I drink in exchange for a drop of my blood?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Magnusth posted:

What's mana?

"Mana is the fundamental unit of magic?" she half says, half asks, as if fearing a trick question. Seeing you befuddled, she adds "Magical energy can come from a variety of sources, but at its core, all magic is created by consuming magical energy, which is called mana."

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Ask her if she could live in a raincloud, imo

"Now that's an idea" she giggles, as if you said something funny. "No, I don't think so. Only rivers really, not even a lake or pond. Certainly not the ocean."

UppaTree posted:

What's a geas? How would breaking it..Change you?

"A geas is..." she screws her face in concentration, as if trying to solve a difficult problem "a type of spell, that alters the behavior of a being, usually by imposing a task or forbidding a behavior" she smiles again, as if terribly satisfied with herself. "I'm not sure how it *would* change me, only that it would. I probably wouldn't be as nice anymore" she giggles.

JosephWongKS posted:

What would happen if I drank you instead of water created by you? How much of you could I drink in exchange for a drop of my blood?

She lets out a long peal of laughter at this suggestion. "You can't drink me. Not that I wouldn't let you, its just... I'm not really made of water,." she giggles again

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Doing both of these because no one really opposed and they seem harmless. Generally speaking we're playing under the rule that you need to get some support for non-question actions.

the_steve posted:

Also thank her for helping us before and now.
"Of course child. Its not like I did it for free!" she lets out a little titter.

There Bias Two posted:

Please sing a song

She sings a song for you, it reminds you of softly flowing water and waves lapping against the side of a boat. Its nice. You feel sleepy... but then the song ends.

Voting is closed. IEQ wins. Working on the update.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 11, 2017

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

TheCog posted:

She sings a song for you, it reminds you of softly flowing water and waves lapping against the side of a boat. Its nice. You feel sleepy... but then the song ends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNyKDI9pn0Q

It must have been that song.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

You decide not to give Nomia a drop of blood in exchange for anything. A year of your life is a lot to sacrifice for a minor boon. Plus you don't know how the Sejin would react if he were to find out, but you know it wouldn't be good, for you or Nomia. Instead you ask Nomia to tell you a story of her people. You were tempted to ask her to tell you a story about the Sejin, but you can always ask the Sejin, and this might be your only chance to ever talk to a real life Naiad.

"Tell me a story of your people?" you ask, politely, and Nomia smiles, lets out another giggle, and says "Of course child. I heard this story from a bird, who heard it from a sea spirit, who heard it from a Naiad far away." she takes a deep breath, and the giggling laughing figure melts away to a serious, serene face. Her voice deepens, and the world shrinks as she speaks, the trees, the hill, everything vanishes, as you sink into the waves of her words. "In the ancient times, before men learned Magick, and before the Forests of Illia were no more, when the Spirits ran wild, and the Covenant was unbroken, there lived a Naiad. Her name was Dryope, and she dwelled in the river, deep in the forest"

You can hear the forest rustle around you, and smell the tropical flowers. "Dryope, was not just a Naiad, she was a daughter of the moon. She shimmered and glowed with the white moonlight that gave her form. She lived in the river, and the birds and the trees were her sole company... until a tribe of humans moved nearby, sheltered by the high cliffs they set their wagons down, and plowed the land, settling what would one day become a city. But for now they were but a handful, weak, isolated, alone in a wilderness that rejected them. Dryope watched them with care, for in those days the Covenant demanded but one thing of the spirits of water: they must remain hidden from man, on the terrible pain of Exoria"

Exoria... that word sends shivers down your spine.

"She watched them struggle, and their fight to live. There was one woman, especially, whom the spirit often saw. Aishe. An orphan among her people. She had a hard life, and many a night would end with her crying by the side of the river, or explaining her woes to the seemingly uncaring waters. But Dryope heard. Dryope heard all. She was fascinated by the strange tan skinned woman, so alien to her, and her pallid lunar radiance. When Aishe looked in the water, to straighten her hair, or to wash her tears, Dryope studied her from beneath the waters, and she ached on her behalf. For you see, once, long ago, Dryope had had sisters, and she had not been all alone. One by one her sisters had given in to the call of the ocean, and one by one they had abandoned the forest river that was her home. Bithynia, Mysia, Arethusa, all gone forever. But Dryope could not make herself abandon the river that had nurtured and loved her, from which she could see the moon that birthed her. So she remained, and when Aishe hurt, she hurt, when Aishe rejoiced, so did Dryope, like twins from different mothers."

You can feel your heart ache with loneliness, and feel the moon play over your skin as you hear the sobs of Aishe. "So Dryope toyed with disaster. When Aishe hungered, the river would provide food. When others scorned her, they would suffer the lash of misfortune. Slowly Aishe's life turned for the better... until one day, Dryope found her, by the river again, sobbing as she never had again. All for a man. You see, the man would not have her. He was tall and tan and strong, and were he to wed Aishe, she would have nothing but joy. Or so she thought. Dryope burned with a need to do something. Anything, but also with a new feeling... jealousy. If Aishe married this man she would never need the river again... Dryope would be alone forever."

The pang of jealousy in your heart is enough to almost bring tears of frustration to your eyes. Unfair. How... unfair. Alone... again. Forever. "But every night, for weeks Aishe returned to the river, crying, begging for anything to change. Dryope could take it no more. So she hatched a plan. A plan born of jealousy and sadness and love. She took the greatest risk, toeing the edge of the Covenant, risking not just destruction, eradication, Exoria" you feel a shiver of fear.

"Dryope spoke to Aishe, and she spoke such" Nomia's voice turns soft and smooth, "'Aishe, I am the moon, and I have watched over you, all this time. I have seen you struggle and suffer, rejoice and live, and I will grant your wish, but I demand a price.' so spoke Dryope, and Aishe, amazed and paralyzed with surprise, looked to the moon and listened to the spirit speak, unseen. "I will give you your man, but in exchange, I want the first child you bear. You will bring him to the river, and he will be mine" the spirit spoke, and Aishe, trembling, kneeled before the moon... "If I have my man, I'll hardly want the child! Take the child, give me the man!" and she sealed the covenant, putting a drop of her blood in the river. "

The power of the covenant thrums in the air. Its the type of deal that upsets fate and turns the dagger of destiny... but the dagger of destiny is sharp, and vengeful

"Dryope was as good as her word. She wove a spell of will and fortune, and within the month, Aishe and her man were married. As Dryope predicted, Aishe no longer came to the river, and Dryope consoled herself, thinking of the child that would soon keep her company. Her very own child. Soon Aishe's womb swelled with child... Dryope was overjoyed, soon, soon her perpetual loneliness would end."

Nomia's face is serious now, serenity turned into solemnity. "So the child was born. But the pact that had led to his birth had changed him. Instead of tan, he was pale, a son of the moon. Seeing the child, the man looked at Aishe, and demanded, demanded to know which of the pale demons of the forest had fathered the bastard, the half human monstrosity that he had been foisted with. In his rage, he dragged her to the river, and drowned her in the waters, as Dryope watched... helpless, terrified, sick with guilt for what her pact had wrought. Then, the man grabbed the child, and cast it into the waters, to join its mother. Dryope would have none of this."

You feel it, the deep anger, burning in your chest, a sickening type of rage. You hear it, the river roaring in your ears, as you bring down your vengeance. "Dryope swept away the man, drowning him in the waters where he had murdered her friend, breaking his body against the trees, sating her anger on his blood. Then she gently, tenderly carried the child down the river, where she would raise him as her own... Elatha the Moonchild."

There silence hangs in the air as the story ends... you feel as if no time at all has passed, or perhaps an eternity has, the feeling is a little akin to waking from a dream.

"I hope you liked it" Nomia giggles, her demeanor fading from serious to the jovial oddly bubbly personality of before.

You decided to wait, passing the time asking Nomia questions. Occasionally, the necklace flickers, but Nomia assures you its nothing to worry about. "Discharge interfering. Only worry if it goes out for a while"

It is night now. Late. You are tired. Sleepy. Worried.

But then you see it. Running down the hill. As fast as his legs will carry him! Its the Sejin! You jump to your feet! You run towards each other and he picks you up in a massive embrace. "I'm sorry Sundar, but its over now, I promise. You must have many questions. We will make camp, and rest, and I will answer what I can" and indeed you do have many questions. The Sejin approaches the obelisk, bows to Nomia, and thanks her for her help. He invites you to say goodbye to her, for now. She gives you a hug. "I look forward to hearing all about your adventures with the Sejin when I see you next" she giggles at you. The Sejin clutches the obelisk, speaking words in his strange tongue, Nomia fades into mist, and slowly seems to be sucked in by the obelisk. She waves as she fades into the mist.

You make camp, and fall into a deep sleep, comforted by the presence of the Sejin. The next day, the Sejin lets you ask questions to your hearts content... and then makes you an offer. "You Sundar, have the Gift. If you wish, you could learn magic. You could, one day, master all the skills I know, and perhaps others. If you want, I will teach you. But if I am to teach you, you must swear to me, swear on everything you love, and everything you will love, that you will not let *anyone* know of your magic without my say so, and that if any learn of your gift, that you will tell me, so that I can silence them. Magic comes with great responsibility, of which you will learn as you grow older, but this is the first oath you must swear." he looks dead serious. More serious even than when you walked up on the giant spider beast.

You:

A.) Swear that you'll keep your magic secret
B.) Don't agree. You don't want to learn magic.
C.) You agree, but you're lying. Surely you can get away with this.

Question time with the Sejin is open. Question time with Nomia remains open till next update. Voting on the minvote is closed, 1.) won.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 12, 2017

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

A

To Nomia:
What's the covenant?
What's exoria?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

A!

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Magnusth posted:

What's the covenant?

"The Covenant was the deal between the First Spirits to maintain the balance of the world. Or so legend says. They agreed to follow certain rules, so that all spirits could live in harmony with the rest of the universe. But spirits being spirits and mortals being mortals, it was destined to fail." she lets out a small titter, as if the idea of rules being followed was positively ridiculous

Magnusth posted:

What's exoria?

"Unmaking. Utter eradication. The cessation of existence. When a spirit ceases to be, its essence returns to the world, and rejoins the cycle. Exoria breaks this cycle. It takes the essence of a spirit, and simply erases it. Its said that the First Spirits could invoke Exoria, and its threat was what gave them such authority." She does not smile. She does not laugh.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Why did her sisters decide to go to the ocean?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

the_steve posted:

Why did her sisters decide to go to the ocean?

"The story doesn't say. Some Naiads heed the call of the ocean, and leave their rivers and join it. The ocean can be very alluring, but once a Naiad joins the ocean, she is forever changed. I liked my river too much to abandon it for the ocean, but I heard the call." she giggles, as if the idea of leaving the river were truly preposterous.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
A

Sejin, did you really give up eight months of your life to let Nomia out of the obelisk (ask after she goes back in).

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Sejin, did you really give up eight months of your life to let Nomia out of the obelisk (ask after she goes back in).

"A little less than that actually Sundar " he says, noticing your apparent worry "about six months, I think. But..." he hesitates, apparently struggling with something "I'm a little more long lived than most men. The why is a tale that I'm forbidden from sharing. If all goes as planned though, one day you'll understand why. "

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheCog posted:

"A little less than that actually Sundar " he says, noticing your apparent worry "about six months, I think. But..." he hesitates, apparently struggling with something "I'm a little more long lived than most men. The why is a tale that I'm forbidden from sharing. If all goes as planned though, one day you'll understand why. "

"If you can't share the why, are you allowed to share how you acquired such longevity?"

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

"If you can't share the why, are you allowed to share how you acquired such longevity?"

"Clever" he ruffles your hair "But no Sundar. The whole tale, I'm afraid, must remain a mystery. But one day, you might walk the same roads I did. If you do, you'll understand"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Oh boy, secrets. Also, betting "a little more long lived" is a major understatement.

A

Question for Nomia:
Are there many stories about Elatha the Moonchild?

Questions for the Sejin:
Ask him what he thinks about Nomia's story. Has he heard it? Has he heard of Elatha the Moonchild?
Do all sprits require that kind of blood payment?
What is a Geas?
What was Nomia like before he captured(?) her?
How did he learn to speak her language?

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 11, 2017