Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Unzip and Attack posted:

I could not manage even one iota of empathy for any of the pimps. Watching their scenes was pretty hard because they are such evil scumbags. There's something about what they do, maybe just the constant unbridled cruelty and dehumanizing of the girls. I found the murderous drug dealers of the Wire far more compelling and relatable.

Pretty sure C.C.'s last scene is supposed to hammer home that mindset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Unzip and Attack posted:

I could not manage even one iota of empathy for any of the pimps. Watching their scenes was pretty hard because they are such evil scumbags. There's something about what they do, maybe just the constant unbridled cruelty and dehumanizing of the girls. I found the murderous drug dealers of the Wire far more compelling and relatable.

Yeah Larry seemed a little more restrained and then he abandoned one of his girls to a long prison stay just because "the game" wasn't as exciting as it used to be.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I only just recently caught up on the last two episodes, and man what a fantastic first season - I loved Treme but this show feels a lot more focused and much more akin to The Wire. The scene with Candy's brother insisting he isn't gay was just utterly heartbreaking. I also finally started to feel like Frankie was coming into his own as a character, though conversely I felt that Vincent faded more into the background/became less interesting of a character at the same time.

I don't think a single character wasn't in some way compelling or interesting, and I'm so loving thrilled that Lawrence Gilliard survived the season and will hopefully be around for the long haul :pray:

3Romeo posted:

Jerusalem, I know you read the thread - any interest in doing an ep by ep breakdown like with the Wire? Some of that poo poo was really insightful. I know the old thread belonged to escape artist, but I haven't seem them post anything in a couple years.

I think anything like that would be better served by being done when the series was complete, as Simon's stuff tends to work best when you have the complete story to refer to, but maybe :)

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

pwn posted:

That’s a perfectly healthy reaction to pure capitalism.

It's actually why I'm rather interested in illicit markets and these types. There's a degree of honesty about relationships and the value of people in capitalism that you just don't see anywhere else. The naked horror is, in a way, refreshing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I don't think a single character wasn't in some way compelling or interesting, and I'm so loving thrilled that Lawrence Gilliard survived the season and will hopefully be around for the long haul :pray:

I'm glad to see him back on something good after TWD wasted his charms for 2 seasons.

So far the show isn't really that violent. it's kind of refreshing watching a show, let alone an HBO show and not constantly wondering who's going to die in this episode.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
James Franco has been accused of misconduct, although it sounds like some of the allegations were old. Hopefully the show doesn't get sent to the chopping block.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Even if they have to cut James loose, his twin can play both parts

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I've always just assumed Franco was a creep, when everything started going down in Hollywood I remember thinking it would only be a matter of time.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahaha same

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Gossip site CDAN had a bit about Franco's "acting school" months ago - details of which where spot on with some of the first five accusers' published accounts. Recent blinds have implied that this is not going away for Franco and are going to get even worse in the near future. Makes me wonder why HBO didn't drop him immediately, like they did with Halperin.

Given that Franco's character(s) were some of the least engaging (and most infuriating - I got real sick of how he pivoted between "I'd never work with the mob" one week and "Hey, workin' with the mob ain't so bad" the next for the entire season,) I wouldn't mind seeing him cut loose going forward. I'm sure they could recruit some other A-level talent to take on the Straight White Male lead.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

In one of the GBS Celebrity Encounters threads a goon posted that Franco cut in line at a coffee place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What a motherfucker

• Locked thread