Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

Tokamak posted:

Congratulations to Clive Johnson, the latest CIG employee to stick a foot in their mouth. The reddit thread is shooting its way up to the top to become this week's controversy.

I have no idea what would compel him to be stupid enough to make that post, but oh man I can't wait to watch this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Oh thank god for a second there I thought Star Citizen was hosed beyond all recovery, but it's an issue with player numbers that'll sort itself out when they all get sick of playing at 5fps and quit.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

wing commander was a lovely game with a stupid story anyway

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/CmQcok9.gifv

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Virtual Captain posted:

* clicks stopwatch *
1 year, 7 months? Not your best lap Roberts, let's try another another pass at Mile's jacket. Focus on how far you've come, not how far you have to go and all that.

I am far too excited about the gaming sassibilities this could unlock to be cynical.

Speaking of silly things I truly can’t be cynical about, I have — to my complete shock — found that Dan Gheesling has become my favorite SC streamer. He butchers the language and is goofy in the absolute extreme, but at this point, his straight-faced ludicrousness about everything feels exactly right.

I mean, stuff like this just cracks me up.

”It’s been a dream of many... primarily myself... to just skim the surfaces and in a hostile attack light fighter that has the maneuverability, the minutiae, the wherewithal and everything else in between to fly in and out of craters.”

In his latest video, he goofs around flying close to the planet, eventually gets to a base, summons a Nox, is trying to ride it and clips into someone else’s ship where he discovers a dragonfly. Then he improvises a contest to see which spacebike will escape the craft first (or blow it up) if he turns them both on.

It’s just so absurd, he knows it, and it all comes across as the video equivalent of a shitepost. But it’s greatness and I actually look forward to each new installment now.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I should prob change my Edwin avatar at some point...

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

juggalo baby coffin posted:

wing commander was a lovely game with a stupid story anyway
it was also a lovely movie with a lovely story they're re-using for Squadron 42!

Good evidence Crobblertz is incapable of learning from his mistakes. 11 million dollar box office hoboy, mark of a genius.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

G0RF posted:

I am far too excited about the gaming sassibilities this could unlock to be cynical.

Speaking of silly things I truly can’t be cynical about, I have — to my complete shock — found that Dan Gheesling has become my favorite SC streamer. He butchers the language and is goofy in the absolute extreme, but at this point, his straight-faced ludicrousness about everything feels exactly right.

I mean, stuff like this just cracks me up.

”It’s been a dream of many... primarily myself... to just skim the surfaces and in a hostile attack light fighter that has the maneuverability, the minutiae, the wherewithal and everything else in between to fly in and out of craters.”

In his latest video, he goofs around flying close to the planet, eventually gets to a base, summons a Nox, is trying to ride it and clips into someone else’s ship where he discovers a dragonfly. Then he improvises a contest to see which spacebike will escape the craft first (or blow it up) if he turns them both on.

It’s just so absurd, he knows it, and it all comes across as the video equivalent of a shitepost. But it’s greatness and I actually look forward to each new installment now.

I can relate to a dream of surface skimming and crater diving, I do it a lot in games like the Just Cause series that let you fly perilously close to disaster at some pretty high speeds. You can't do that at Star Citizen framerates that's for sure.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Spiderdrake posted:

it was also a lovely movie with a lovely story they're re-using for Squadron 42!

Good evidence Crobblertz is incapable of learning from his mistakes. 11 million dollar box office hoboy, mark of a genius.

10.9 million of that was people going for the Star Wars episode 1 trailer.

The rest was a mix of Ben and movie goers that did not know better.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sarsapariller posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50259/thread/why-is-the-graphics-pipeline-waiting-for-server-up/773513

Important clarifications from CIG! It's not the net code that makes the game choke and die, it's the number of players on the server that makes the game choke and die!

A very important distinction because they might improve the netcode some day, but the number of players running around is only ever going to get worse. And there's no real fix in sight, and probably never will be! Thanks CIG!

"It's poo poo framerate because the client is doing full render passes on people on the other side of the galaxy" isn't a better position to be in, sorry

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Exinos posted:

10.9 million of that was people going for the Star Wars episode 1 trailer.

The rest was a mix of Ben and movie goers that did not know better.

Chris Roberts riding the coat tails of other, better sci-fi and fantasy franchises?

Say it ain't so!

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

As history tells it the Wing Commander movie was rushed in order to be ready in time for that trailer, which couldn't have done the movie many favors.

While I doubt the film was three months removed from masterpiece status I can't imagine the kind of frustration associated with being told by your studio that you're rushing your movie to be ready in time to advertise a far more anticipated movie in the same genre.

But, then again, for all I know the only reason Wing Commander was even greenlit was so it could serve as an advert.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

cocaine has a lot to answer for

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

SCENE: A schoolyard. The crisp morning air crackles with the sounds of children at recess. Birdsongs are just beginning to return as the last of the snow sits in little piles on the ground under trees and in the shade.

A small circle has formed, around a girl and a boy. They are shouting at each other. The boy seems smug, and arrogant, eyebrows pushing up his wool cap. The girl is frustrated, flustered even. Her scarf swaying as she waves her arms around to explain. that someone could be taking a position as silly as he is. She knows he is wrong. The crowd does, do. But many of the kids cheer him on anyways. Do they just think it's funny, or do they agree? It's impossible to tell.

Someone steps into the circle, to intercede. A girl of a younger grade than these two. She raises her hands into the air like a prophet.

"THE TRUTH-" She begins, loudly. "-IS IN-" People fall silent for just one moment to look at her, curious as to why she's entered this shouting match. "-THE MIDDLE."

After a few vacant stares at this pink-sock-wearing goblin, the kids are about to resume their argument, when suddenly the sky is filled with a deep rumbling. Everyone looks up. Not just the kids, but the teachers, too. People walking past on the street, outside of the fence. The clouds shifting. The wind picks up. A horrible electric grating noise begins as the world's atmosphere warps and distorts. All scream. All over the world, anywhere it is day, people scream, cry, and panic. Cars stop in the streets. Dogs stop mid-piss to observe the horrified reactions of their walkers. Policemen and bankrobbers drop their guns in every city to stare up in awe. Everyone except for the girl who spoke the words.

The sky turns purple.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

"It's poo poo framerate because the client is doing full render passes on people on the other side of the galaxy" isn't a better position to be in, sorry

They are laying the groundwork for a decrease in fidelatah! and player numbers by the sounds of it. :doh:

"It's not bad netcode, it's that there's too much info being sent via netcode and too many people playing our mmo which is currently limited to team deathmath numbers".

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 11, 2017

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Chris Roberts riding the coat tails of other, better sci-fi and fantasy franchises?

Say it ain't so!

I wouldn't say it was "better". Star wars is poo poo. It just has more spergs jizzing themselves over it.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

There are heroes on both sides.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

thanks to whoever linked that megaton rainfall game

its crazy, the actual gameplay is almost secondary to just flying around the universe. the first thing I did when I got the superluminal flight power was piss off out of the galaxy and fly into another one I thought looked cool. I found a nebula inside it, and inside the nebula i found a cool binary star system. I flew down to the surface of one of the planets in the system and carved the word gently caress into it with my god powers.

really its opened my eyes to how loving crushingly depressing it is that all this money went to CIG. One man can turn out a game with a better flight model, truly seamless space to surface travel, and a procedurally generated massive universe.

in 5 years with 200 million they've created a buggy, crashy mess, with a noclip style flight system and one solar system that's 25% done, and still looks like loving poo poo. the rocks in megaton rainfall at least have the same lighting as the ground they're resting on.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

So there I was, in the Levski, the asteroid mining base. With an atmosphere. Atmosphsteroid mining base? The light glitch was back, meaning that literally all I could see was the running lights of my ship, a couple of illuminated deck lights, and the sign over the elevator into the base proper. I couldn't climb or fly back out- the overhead hangar doors had closed, and- as far as I know- they don't open again until you take the elevator back. Also, for some reason, there was a strong wind whipping through the completely sealed hangar and I could see that. I guess CIG decided that "Has atmosphere" means "has strong wind currents" and they didn't want to just play sounds, so they added some particle effects? But being CIG they hosed it up, so I'm sitting in a sealed underground room and seeing blue dust race past like I'm in the middle of a hurricane. Sure whatever.

My hands were inching towards the "Kill yourself" buttons which I really didn't want to do since it'd put me back in the wankpod on Olisar and force me to start the whole stupid trip over. Just before I hit it, I noticed something- light, precious light! But only in the top-left corner of my screen. I whipped my mouse around for a minute and yes, sure enough, the game was rendering correctly but only in a 2 inch by 3 inch rectangle on the top left of my monitor. In that little window, the hangar was well lit and welcoming- everywhere else it was a bleak unlit hellscape. Well, good enough- not that much worse than it would have been running around with that helmet on. I began making my way through the base, stopping every 3 or four feet to look down and to the right so I could use my little upper-left window as a sort of scope to map the path ahead. All I wanted to do was get to a terminal and load some cargo on my drat ship. Then I'd take it somewhere well lit and try to sell it, completing my first self-imposed mission at long last. I gave up on the prospect of meeting Miles "Male Fashion Advice" Eckhart as there was just no way I was going to wander the corridors of Levski like this. Or so I thought.

Using my unfucked-vision-o-scope I carefully navigated into the first elevator which televated me into the base proper. Once inside the gloom, while still stifling, was a little easier to manage as I could at least see the running lights in the halls. Unfortunately, I couldn't see any screens or signs except through my monitor corner, so I had zero clue where I needed to go to purchase cargo. I began to wander. First through some kind of baffling customs segment- I mean, this is a game where literal news vans are equipped with guns, it would be kind of unusual if someone wasn't packing- and then into what looked like the glass tower that I had so recently plowed my ship into at 2000mph. It seemed like nobody inside was really shaken by that incident- or, if they were, I couldn't see the looks on their faces through the murk. Basically everything looked like a black hallway with a fog machine running and people standing stock-still in various positions scattered throughout it. Just a normal Star Citizen Thursday at this point really.

I wandered through a series of doors- I assume they were doors because I could see the open/close mechanisms clearly, but nothing else- and eventually found myself in an odd place. Door after door, all the mechanisms locked, but stacked so closely together that it couldn't lead to any space bigger than a closet. What the hell was this? Then it hit me- wankpods! I guess CIG intended to allow players to spawn somewhere other than Port Olisar, at some point. This was clearly a wankpod chamber, and the locked rooms were player spawn points. Too bad it was completely useless as any death would result in a quick trip back to old PO. I shrugged and moved on.

A long and pointless interlude later, I found myself in front of a cargo screen. I guess even Chris realized that manually purchasing and placing every box of cargo would be a nightmare, because this interface was actually marginally sane. Just a standard panel, you walk up and select your ship, then select the cargo. For some reason the cargo was listed in credits per hundredth of a standard cargo unit, which I found out as I almost disastrously bought a hold full of cargo for 650,000 credits or more than two thirds of what CIG gives you overall. Not there's anything else to do with that money, but I'd hate to lose it if the ship blew up or something - I had no idea if the game would remember that I'd bought the cargo when a replacement spawned, or what. So I bought a full cargo hold of hydrogen, the cheapest item in there. Not... entirely sure why a technology base that produces ships capable of flying faster than light and strong enough to fly into the ground at 2000mph would really ever need people to haul the most abundant gas in the universe. Just scoop a star, right? Maybe that would make it too much like that other space game. But hey, cargo is cargo. I loaded up and navigated the dark maze back to my ship.

After verifying that, yep, I now had a hold full of highly flammable and explosive gas containers completely unsecured, I sat down and prepared to lift off. The ship didn't move. Why wouldn't it move? I checked my keyboard- still plugged in. Mouse, still working. Ship power worked- other buttons worked, I could retract and lower the landing gear, which lead to an amusing moment as I made the constellation do push-ups off of the hangar deck. But try as I might, it wouldn't take off. Maybe with the loss of that fin and the addition of all this weight, the dreaded fidelity had finally caught up to me? Nope, chat said that it was just a bug with the Cutlass and the Constellation now- sometimes they just won't fly at all! Great. I tried exiting/entering four or five times, no dice. Finally I decided to go back into the black maze of Levski and see if I could force the ship to respawn at a control panel.

Sadly for me, all of the up-down of the landing gear action must have moved me about two inches higher off the landing pad than normal. As I stepped off of the Constellation elevator, my commando's weak ankles shattered- instantly red on my HUD. I bled to death in seconds. My dying thought, as I scrambled desperately to equip a med pack, was "If only I hadn't taken that armor off..."

I woke up back at Port Olisar.

Such a complete mess :allears:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

I tried VR Skyrim.. and it was terrible. :(

I can’t imagine anyone designing something for VR and thinking “ah I’ll patch it in later!”

Contrary to that though, VR SuperHot is very fun. I’m not sure if they patched it in or if they made it ground up, but it was like night and day “this is terrible” cs “wow this is fun!!!” between Skyrim VR and SuperHot VR.

SuperHot VR is pretty great, though I really need to clear a bit more room in front of my computer for it.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Mr.Tophat posted:

I heard a rumour that Derek Smart posts here

hosed up if true.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

quote:

I tried VR Skyrim.. and it was terrible.
The skyrim UI already had a gun in its mouth from being an RPG and having to be compatible with controllers or keyboard on the fly. I can't even imagine what it'd be like to try to use it in VR.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Gosts posted:

The skyrim UI already had a gun in its mouth from being an RPG and having to be compatible with controllers or keyboard on the fly. I can't even imagine what it'd be like to try to use it in VR.

It's awful, imo, at least if you use it with the move controllers. If you go with the gamepad, it still is too large, because you have to turn your head all the time while navigating it (you can't see the whole UI at any time as it's larger than the FOV of the PSVR).

I am a bit underwhelmed by both Skyrim VR and Doom VFR. They are a good example though why you can't slap VR onto quite a lot of games that weren't made for it.

GreenElephant
Mar 22, 2016

Called it. :smug:

Blaming the magical netcode was a convenient falsehood that offered hope whereas (correctly) pointing out that there is no simple fix is just going to depress.

Wonder if that network guy is gonna get chewed out over this...

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Yellow Yoda Fight, Fight,fight,fight.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

FailureToReport posted:

Oh yep, it's a 20fps max hellscape

Sooner or later they'll start claiming you edited your config files to make it that bad.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Bofast posted:

SuperHot VR is pretty great, though I really need to clear a bit more room in front of my computer for it.

Two light globes are in the bin so far, thanks to SuperHot knife-throwing.

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches
I'm about to go to my first AA meeting at 6:15am here. After considering buying a Star Citizen ship I realized it was time to seek help. Wish me luck goons.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Tokamak posted:

Congratulations to Clive Johnson, the latest CIG employee to stick a foot in their mouth. The reddit thread is shooting its way up to the top to become this week's controversy.

Look, stop over-reacting. All the CIG dev said was,

"What is so hard about fixing the performance problems is that the game is pushing the engine way beyond what it was designed to handle. Fixing that means fundamentally changing how systems work while simultaneously trying not to break everything in the game that uses them."

December 2017. A hundred and seventy eleventy million billion dollars. The solution is to fundamentally change how an inadequate engine does things in a way that doesn't break everything.

Once again, CIG shows those stupid AAA publishers how it's meant to be done.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
I hear Star Citizen is future locked.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Mr Fronts posted:

"What is so hard about fixing the performance problems is that the game is pushing the engine way beyond what it was designed to handle. Fixing that means fundamentally changing how systems work while simultaneously trying not to break everything in the game that uses them."

December 2017. A hundred and seventy eleventy million billion dollars. The solution is to fundamentally change how an inadequate engine does things in a way that doesn't break everything.

It almost seems like he is tired of being CR's fall guy, has decided it is time to move on, and thought he would set the record straight on the way out.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Star citizen is so high fidelity that it has no draw distance!!!

It sounds like I'm taking the piss but this is literally something they've claimed and, through sheer incompetence, have achieved.

GOOD WORK GUYS 10/10

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
It's not the netcode, but it's the netcode.

Culling of data not within the player's vicinity isn't the performance hog. If it was, then the Evocati testing where they had upto 64 players spawn at Jank Olisar would have had 60+ FPS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kSvYFi0c_E

:ohdear:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

HoneyBakedMAN posted:

I'm about to go to my first AA meeting at 6:15am here. After considering buying a Star Citizen ship I realized it was time to seek help. Wish me luck goons.

Good luck friend. I'm glad start citizen helped you make proactive steps to better your life.

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

Loxbourne posted:

Sooner or later they'll start claiming you edited your config files to make it that bad.

The excuse is now "your computer is poo poo."

My computer isn't top end by any means, but I am running a 4gb GTX 980 , 64gb RAM, i7 processor, like I have zero issues running any other game on ultra.

Star Citizen, 20fps , I think my max was 26 at one point, the average was more like 15.

Elite Dangerous on Ultra with everything maxed? 120-200fps.

Ark Survival Evolved on max settings? Smooth as gently caress. And that's while streaming or recording it.

Must be my rig. Not all the streamers and YouTubers who are recording in offline mode and then uploading it without disclaiming the fact that the performance they are getting by doing that isn't the norm. Or that they went on the AUS servers in the middle of the day US to get an empty server shard.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7iz016/cig_lead_network_programmer_netcode_does_not_make/dr2jjdi/?context=3

:ohdear:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Mr Fronts posted:

Half a motherfucking decade into development and they are just now realizing that their FPS engine can't do an MMO. And they can't just scrap and rewrite everything that they need to, because people are playing the game already. They have to completely overhaul the engine, but do it bit by bit without breaking anything too badly, so that they can show constant progress to the backers. Good luck with that, CIG

Maybe the incompetent dickhead in charge should have looked at more than screenshots when he was deciding what engine to use

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

cat represents current netcode state

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Sorting by controversial comments is pretty good

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7iz016/cig_lead_network_programmer_netcode_does_not_make/dr2izs2/?context=3

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7iz016/cig_lead_network_programmer_netcode_does_not_make/dr2ipd1/?context=3

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7iz016/cig_lead_network_programmer_netcode_does_not_make/dr2kst7/?context=3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hrmm yes i thought things were fine before but this new comment, this is cause for concern