Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

To the sejin:

What's the gift and why do i have it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
Interesting.
A

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Why must my gift be a secret? What would others do if they knew?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Are there many stories about Elatha the Moonchild?
"Many! I know..." she counts on her fingers, muttering to herself "at least seven!" she lets out a giggle.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Ask him what he thinks about Nomia's story. Has he heard it? Has he heard of Elatha the Moonchild?
"Yes, the story is usually called the Birth of Elatha. Or 'Child of the Moon'. It is one of Nomia's favorites. Its a sad story, but I think there's a lot to learn from it" he doesn't elaborate on what the lessons he thinks should be taken from the story are. Perhaps he wants you to think about them yourself?

"As for Elatha, there are many stories about him. Stories say he was the first elementalists. But not all stories agree on that point. He was a hero in some stories. More of an elemental force in others. I quite like Elatha and the Silver Calf myself. If you like, I can share that story once we're on the road again... although Nomia tells it much better than I do."

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Do all sprits require that kind of blood payment?
"No." he thinks for a second, then with a slight smile "If I train you in magic, we will undoubtedly cover spirits, payments, and essence transference, but no, Nomia and her obelisk are a special case"

Dr Subterfuge posted:

What is a Geas?
"In the simplest of terms, a Geas is a spell that forces or prohibits a behavior. It is complex magic, and often is symbolic, that is bound to an object or specific site. Geas are advanced magic, but something you could learn about in due time Sundar."

Dr Subterfuge posted:

What was Nomia like before he captured(?) her?
"I'm not sure captured is the right term." the Sejin says, frowning slightly, "I would rather not say, I fear it would tarnish your perception of her, if I did not share the full story, and the full story is not suited for one as young as you" he says, "I'm afraid it doesn't necessarily paint me in the best light either" he adds with a bit of a cheeky smile. "Ask me again after your first solo hunt, and I'll share the story."

Dr Subterfuge posted:

How did he learn to speak her language?

"I know many languages. In my youth I loved the different tongues, and the elemental tongues especially were a joy to learn. I'm afraid my brain now is too old to learn new languages well, but I still delight in hearing them, in all their mystery" he smiles a bit at this, a fond memory perhaps?

Magnusth posted:

What's the gift and why do i have it?

"Some people are born skilled at metalwork, or music, or speaking to crowds. You were born with a natural inclination for magic. Its visible in the way you look at the world, much like one can see the agility of one born to be a great runner. Most people can learn magic, I can tell you'll be good at it. You have the natural hunger for knowledge, and the eyes for it. We call that the Gift. You will struggle far less to learn magic than someone without the Gift would. "

There Bias Two posted:

Why must my gift be a secret? What would others do if they knew?

"Because I say so" the Sejin says firmly. You make a face at him. "Not everywhere, not everyone, but there are those who seek magic and those who practice it, to twist them to their own purpose. If others know, they may seek to kidnap you, slay you out of fear, or use you in ways harmful to you. Once you are fully trained, you may be as reckless as you wish, but while I teach you, we will practice discretion. Its a matter of safety" he says quite seriously, and you can tell that for him, this is an important matter.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 11, 2017

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
A, but only if he agrees to teach us fightin' too.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Also poke the gross dead bugs with our staff and touch their shells, see what they feel like
And ask him to show us where in the book they are

e: and tell us about killing the bug queen

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 11, 2017

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
A

To Nomia: What kinds of discharges cause interference with the necklace?

To Nomia: What is my necklace made of?

To Nomia: Have you ever been to Andorhall? Who is the Headsman there?

To Nomia: Do you have awareness of the outside world when you're inside your Obelisk?

To Nomia: Can you tell me if the Sejin is coming back?

To Sejin: When was the last time you summoned Nomia?

To Sejin: Can you show me what's left of the Queen?

To Sejin: How did you defeat her?

To Sejin: What's the biggest monster you've ever defeated, Sejin?

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
A It's not like we have any friends to show off to.

To Nomia:
Did the Sejin teach you to speak our language?
Do you like living in the little obelisk?
Do spirits not run wild anymore? Why not?
If I went swimming in a river, could I find a spirit? You're the first I've ever seen.
Why did the covenant let birds and things talk to spirits, but not people? That's not fair.

To the Sejin:
Are you hurt?
How did you beat the bugs?
Can you teach me how to speak an elemental tongue?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

but only if he agrees to teach us fightin' too.

"You will learn combat too. You won't always be the most powerful spellcaster in the room. When that's the case, you better hope you're the better warrior."

Also poke the gross dead bugs with our staff and touch their shells, see what they feel like
Minivote. Do you want to poke the gross dead bugs and touch the shells?
1.) Yes
2.) No

And ask him to show us where in the book they are
You ask the Sejin if he'll show you the bugs in the book. They have several pages dedicated to them, they're apparently called Tauen, and they live in the Deeps, the deepest caverns beneath the earth. Food is scarce there and that keeps them in check, but sometimes they manage to find their way to the surface, and then they spread like a blight upon the land. They work in symphony, controlled by a queen, who forms their flesh from eggs, and who can alter her spawn to fit specific needs. Killing them is a matter of hitting the Queen, hard, and fast, and not allowing them any time to prepare, as they will design specialized defenders and overwhelm you with numbers.

e: and tell us about killing the bug queen

"I went after the queen and killed her" the Sejin says. When you prod him to elaborate (endlessly), he finally shares more details. "I headed north from where I had left you with Nomia, I knew the bugs would be responding to the fact that I slew the sentries there, and usually I'd bypass their response and head straight for the queen, but I needed to get their attention, so when the response group came charging in my direction, I hid, and engaged it from ambush. It was about twelve Harish." He points at the Harish, they're like the scarabs you saw him slay, but much longer, made of multiple segments, all covered in spikes. Apparently they can burrow and travel along the surface of the ground too. "After bringing them down, I hastened around the next waves of response, and made it to the nest. I attempted destroy the entire structure, but it had been reinforced. I did crack open the royal chamber, which I entered. There I fought the Queen's guards. The Queen is physically fragile, but not an inept magician, and she deflected my initial attempts to eliminate her without engaging her guards. So I was forced into a slow chipping fight with her guards, until, eventually I broke through and slew the queen" the Sejin delivers this in a dry, informative, as if its a report

Prince of Space posted:

To Nomia: What kinds of discharges cause interference with the necklace?
"Magical discharge. The Sejin is probably casting some pretty involved spells" Nomia giggles, as if the Sejin fighting for his life didn't worry her at all.

Prince of Space posted:

To Nomia: What is my necklace made of?
"I don't know, it looks like Jade?" she offers, letting her fingers play over it.

Prince of Space posted:

To Nomia: Have you ever been to Andorhall? Who is the Headsman there?
"I don't think I have" she says, a puzzled expression on her face, "I'd remember that, even with the penchant you mortals have for naming things all wrong" she giggles.

Prince of Space posted:

To Nomia: Do you have awareness of the outside world when you're inside your Obelisk?
"Only really if we're close to a river. I can feel their tug if I'm nearby. Otherwise its the same warm embrace of the waters!" she laughs.

Prince of Space posted:

To Nomia: Can you tell me if the Sejin is coming back?
"He'll be back. He has many flaws, but he's very bad at breaking promises. He said he'd come get us, and so he will!" She smiles reassuringly and giggles.

Prince of Space posted:

To Sejin: When was the last time you summoned Nomia?
"When I first found you. I tried to heal you myself, but it was beyond my skills. Nomia is a very skilled healer, and she was able to help where I could not"

Prince of Space posted:

To Sejin: Can you show me what's left of the Queen?
"Certainly" he opens his bag, and pulls out a small wooden box. Inside there is what looks like a vine, covered in eyes. "This is all I saved, the rest i burned" he explains

Prince of Space posted:

To Sejin: How did you defeat her?
"I stabbed her. The Queens are always very physically weak. She looked like a giant grub, covered in eye-stalks. Fleshy. Unarmored." seeing you look a little disgusted, he makes a *squelch* noise, and then ruffles your hair.

Prince of Space posted:

To Sejin: What's the biggest monster you've ever defeated, Sejin?

"In size? A gargantuan Barbr. Nearly the size of a small town." he flips through the book and shows you the picture, which looks like a massive ball of eyes and tentacles.

Chatrapati posted:

To Nomia:
Did the Sejin teach you to speak our language?
"No, that's a Naiad thing, to speak in the tongue of those we address. I'd never really given it any thought" she says, with a giggle.

Chatrapati posted:

To Nomia:
Do you like living in the little obelisk?
"I suppose. Its much better than being dead!" she says, with a little titter.

Chatrapati posted:

To Nomia:
Do spirits not run wild anymore? Why not?
"Oh they run wild indeed. That's why people like the Sejin exist!" she smiles at you, as if that explains everything.

Chatrapati posted:

To Nomia:
If I went swimming in a river, could I find a spirit? You're the first I've ever seen.
"You could! Although we're not that common. I would be careful though... spirits are dangerous!" she says this, and laughs at her own wit.

Chatrapati posted:

To Nomia:
Why did the covenant let birds and things talk to spirits, but not people? That's not fair.
"Birds and people wouldn't go to war! And if they did, they wouldn't destroy the land in the process." she smiles at the very notion, birds and people, fighting.

Chatrapati posted:

To the Sejin:
Are you hurt?
"No, just tired, and most relieved to be back!" He says, giving you another hug. "Don't worry, Sundar, I'm fine, truly"

Chatrapati posted:

To the Sejin:
How did you beat the bugs?
"By pitting my strength against their weakness. That and being persistent."

Chatrapati posted:

To the Sejin:
Can you teach me how to speak an elemental tongue?

"Certainly! I would perhaps suggest starting with an easier language, but if you wish to speak an elemental tongue, we shall make it so" he says, a sincere smile peeking at the corners of his mouth.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Can you teach me to speak fire language then? I bet it would be useful up here, asking a fire to start itself!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Ah, what a nice, straight-forward, not at all obtuse mentor.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer
I'm liking this!

A 2

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
A 1

Poke the bug bits! They're dead now, what harm could they be? And if Seijin is going to teach us to fight we should know how tough those shells are, in case we run into them again some day!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

A 1

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
To Sejin Is it possible to use someone else's blood to power the obelisk or other spells?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

TacoNight posted:

To Sejin Is it possible to use someone else's blood to power the obelisk or other spells?

"Not the obelisk. Essence transference is usually a voluntary exchange" his face turns somber "Blood magic, magic where you use the life force of others to power spells exists, and you will learn of it, so that you may defend yourself from it. It is a loathsome thing to sacrifice others for power, and I will not condone it while I am your teacher"

Slaan posted:

Can you teach me to speak fire language then? I bet it would be useful up here, asking a fire to start itself!

"Fotiá, Ignan, Flamespeech, depending on who you ask. I certainly could, but the elemental languages give you no power over the elements. They're just the language of those closest to the elements. Useful to know, and for an elementalist, they can be a clever way to communicate covertly."

TheCog fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 12, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I wanna learn ALL the languages. Every single one.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wanna eat ALL the elements. Every single one.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Crazycryodude posted:

I wanna learn ALL the languages. Every single one.

Seriously this, we should be able to speak at least a little of Senjis language because we asked him to teach it to us three years ago right?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Por que no los dos?

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
We should pay very close attention to our lessons about blood magic. So that we can... defend.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

TacoNight posted:

We should pay very close attention to our lessons about blood magic. So that we can... defend.

You know what they say about the best defense. :v:

It's proactively murdering your enemies in their sleep with magic from across town and thus never exposing yourself to danger! :getin:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheCog posted:

"Blood magic, magic where you use the life force of others to power spells exists, and you will learn of it, so that you may defend yourself from it. It is a loathsome thing to sacrifice others for power, and I will not condone it while I am your teacher"

We'll just have to wait till he stops being our teacher.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

I'll preemptively vote against using blood magic.
Instead let's learn all the elemental magics, languages and some martial arts and become the Avatar.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Languages should definitely be our gimmick, elemental or otherwise. CYOA's don't usually go for charisma builds, a magical witcher with a djinn dad that talks more than punches would be cool and great.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
A
Focus on water magic and healing.
Learn all the languages.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
I'd vote to use blood magic in the future, but only with the blood of our enemies.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

You ask the Sejin if you can touch the dead bugs. He seems a little puzzled by your requests, but acquiesces. On closer inspection, the scarab's shell is thick, about as thick as a finger, and it feels cold and hard to the touch. It has little thorns on the surface, not enough to prick you but enough to give it an unpleasant texture.

The Sejin asks you if you'd like to learn magic. If you'd promise to keep it a secret from everyone. You agree eagerly. You want to learn magic. More than you've ever wanted anything. The Sejin smiles at your enthusiasm. "There's a sort of ritual we're going to have to go through, a formality, but you promise? On everything you've ever loved and ever will love that you will not let anyone know of your magic without my say so, and that if any learn of your gift, that you will tell me?" you swear it, and spend the rest of the day pestering the Sejin with questions. "When are we going to get started?" being the most prominent of those. All you get in response is a "Soon" and a devilish grin.

A couple days after, in the mid afternoon, the Sejin guides you away from the road. This is nothing unusual, the Sejin often knows shortcuts, or will randomly leave the road to go check something out, from strange trees to ruined buildings. After about an hour you arrive at a secluded pond, surrounded by trees. "This will do nicely" the Sejin nods to himself, setting down his bag. This is unusual. Usually you'll keep going till right about nightfall. There's still hours left in the day. The Sejin forestalls any questions. "We're going to do your Shaeira. The rite of beginning, but we have to wait till the moon is up."

You wait, nervously, while the Sejin goes about the usual dreary business of setting up camp. "We're going to wait till the moon is fully in the sky" the Sejin explains "so I suggest you get some sleep, if you can." with that, he lays down, and is comfortably asleep, despite the sun still hanging in the sky. You of course, can't quite manage that. Instead you pace, and you sit, and you lay, and you stand up again. For hours. As you fret about what the ritual could be. Until at last the moon is high in the sky, and the Sejin rouses from his sleep. He awakes, and looks up at the moon, then at the pond, where the moon is reflected. "Yes, this is perfect." he says, before turning to you. "Lets get started." from his bag he pulls out a piece of cloth. A blindfold. Not one you've seen before, it appears to be made entirely of golden fabric. "Now, once I put this on you, no questions, no speaking unless spoken to." he looks somewhat serious, and you feel a pang of fear. Seeing your worry, he takes your hands between his "Don't worry Sundar, it's just a ritual. You're in no danger, and you can't do anything so wrong as to ruin everything. Just follow my instructions" he smiles. "Now, lets begin. Turn around." You do, and you find yourself facing the pond as the blindfold slips over your eyes.

The Sejin places a hand on your shoulder. You can feel the calluses on it, and then a sudden feeling of vertigo. He guides you, a step forward at the time, until you've taken 17 steps. You feel a warm wind on your skin, and the sounds of the forest have grown silent. The Sejin lets go of your shoulder. A few seconds pass, and you hear the Sejin speak. "What is your name supplicant? You who would come to the root of the world and drink its power, speak!" his voice is loud and harsh, and you manage to stutter out "Cla... Clarissa"

The Sejin speaks again, but his voice isn't just his own, you hear an echo, of these words, spoken by dozens, hundreds of voices. "Clarissa, she who would drink of the root! Clarissa, she who walks in the path given by the Djinni! You stand before me today, untouched by the power of the spirits, unblessed by Almujus, and offer naught but your own strength! Kneel!" you hesitate for a second, and then kneel, onto what feels like cold stone. "I will give unto you the blessing of the Almujus, the power of the spirits, and the road of the Djinni!" he pauses for a second, and when he speaks again, his voice is cold and dark and terrible "But beware supplicant, power comes with a cost. If you take more greedily than you have been allowed, if you break the cycles that keep the balance or worse yet, invoke the darkest world, you will find the power hungry and remorseless. Your husk will be pecked over by vultures, and your descendants will weep with the knowledge that you are naught but dust!" the terrible pronouncement sends a thrill of terror through you. It feels for an instant as if the whole world was cowed into silence. "Do you accept this blessing and this curse?" the Sejin asks, speaking again with the voice of a dozens, of hundreds, asking the question. "I do" you manage, keeping your voice from breaking. "Then by these Sacred Unguents, feel the power flow!" the Sejin smears something on your forehead... something that feels warm on your skin and smells intensely of incense.

You feel strange.

You are floating. There is a strange burning in your limbs. You are blindfolded. You can see colors, dancing around you. Your eyes are closed. You know exactly where the Sejin is. You can smell the colors. You are... you are You, but you are also not You. You...

"The Almujus has found you worthy! Remove the blindfold" the Sejin's words snap you out of the bizarre feeling. You remove it, still kneeling, and find that you are.... in the middle of the lake. The Sejin is on the other shore, and you are kneeling, on the water. There is, surrounding the lake, what seem to be pillars of lightning and smoke, twelve of each, and the light from the lightning back-lights the Sejin. The moon is right above you.

Lightning shoots overhead, eerie in its silence, bouncing from pillar to pillar... and then it stops.

Between the pillars, in the shadows cast by the moon and the lightning, you can almost make out what seem like figures, watching? You are not sure, there is a lot to take in.

Slowly, six pedestals of moonlight materialize, at first seeming to be only reflections, and then... there, as if they had always been. They're evenly spaced at about knee level surround you. Well evenly spaced minus one gap theres a spot where it looks like a seventh pedestal would go, but there's no pedestal there.

"The Djinni have judged you! They give their blessing! Take from the pedestals a boon!"

You find you can walk on the water just fine, as it were made of stone. This is a little disconcerting, but this entire experience is very odd.

You examine the pillars closely, upon each there is a different object. You also examine the spot where the seventh pedestal would have gone, and indeed, there is no pedestal there. Its just blank, empty space. You swish your hand through it to make sure. There really is nothing there at all.

You:

A. Take the item upon the first pillar. Upon it is a small cloth bag, in which lay twelve perfectly round and flat stones. They are a deep blood red, and seemingly almost translucent. Each has a symbol etched upon it in gold. You don't recognize any of the symbols. As you examine the stones, you feel strange. You have an uncertain feeling that the stones... are not from this time?

B. The item upon the second pillar. A perfectly golden spearhead. Etched upon it are flame motifs. As you examine it the etched metal flames seem to dance and flicker, and inside them you can see... something... a figure... dancing?

C. A chalice, which looks to have been carved out of a single diamond. It is empty on the inside, and etched on the sides are what appear to be the images of a battle, many are dying, wounded, in what looks to be a harsh desert. All but a few, who are drinking from a spring, that has emerged from the sands. The more you look at it the more cold you feel. Stare at it too long and you start to shiver...

D. A small statue of a hawk of some kind? You think. The hawk is flapping its wings, as if taking off, and the statue appears to be made entirely of bronze. It is no larger than your clenched fist, but it looks very realistic. As you examine it you notice all kinds of incredibly intricate details, like the single drop of blood running down the hawk's beak.

E. A pendant, holding a talisman in the shape of a snake. It is quite different from the pendant the Sejin lent you the other day, much smaller and made entirely of what seems to be delicate silver. When you look away, and look back, it almost seems as if the talisman has changed positions. As you gaze at it, you get the distinct impression that the snake is looking back at you.

F. A small, black stone, it looks ancient, and the etching upon it are somewhat faded. While you examine it, you can hear... whispers, you can almost make out what they're saying, but no matter how hard you try to concentrate upon it, you can't make out what exactly those words are.

G. I take nothing. I just walk away to rejoin the Sejin.

H. Try to put something in the gap where there would be a seventh pillar. The only really suitable thing you have is a necklace with a wood charm the Sejin carved for you while you were traveling around the Ossuary. As far as you know it's not magical. Just pretty.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 12, 2017

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
C

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

F

Whispers of madness? Count me in!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I'm torn between B & G

Can we poke the spot where the seventh pillar would have been? I'm going to be advocating a lot of poke and jab related votes I think

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Can we poke the spot where the seventh pillar would have been? I'm going to be advocating a lot of poke and jab related votes I think
You did. You ran your hand from where it would have stood to the floor and back.

There is nothing there.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

ThereBiasTwo is probated, so I am acting as a spirit medium:

quote:

<ThereBiasTwo> Aww man! This is the worst time to be probated for arguing about anime
<ThereBiasTwo> I want to place something on the 7th "pillar"
<ThereBiasTwo> Hmmm...Do we have anything precious on our person TheCog?

Not really. You don't own anything super valuable. You have a neclace the sejin made for you one year, a few strips of dried jerky you usually carry in case you get hungry and that's about it.

quote:

<ThereBiasTwo> Aha, the necklace is precious
<ThereBiasTwo> We should place that in the gap
<ThereBiasTwo> (I know we don't sense anything there)
<ThereBiasTwo> But gently caress the rules
<ThereBiasTwo> The Djinni grant us power, so we will give to them in return

I will add this as a writein option.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
H

The spirits offer their boons, let us offer ours: the love and protection of the Sejin.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
D
We already have a necklace, and this one looks the second coolest. Since we don't know anything about any of them, that seems like a good metric to go by.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

H
always go for the experimental option.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
BH

e: obviously the spear would be best for fighting, so we should get that one duh

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'm all about those runestones A

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I'm all about those runestones A

hell yeah A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
H What could go wrong?? Not that the actual items don't look snazzy.