Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Does Wurmple evolve into the one of two cocoons at random? I’m fine with that as long as you don’t have to spend 50 candies to try and get a random 3rd tier evolution?

Yeah it's 50/50 whether it evolves into Silcoon or Cascoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
gen3 spawns are about 1/25, maybe 1/30. what the gently caress

can someone with a go+ take a day's worth of data and actually see if it's this bad?

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

mastershakeman posted:

can someone with a go+ take a day's worth of data and actually see if it's this bad?

Stuff like Zogzagoon and Poochyna seem to be just as common as the regular gen 1&2 trash pokemon, but the only other gen 3 I see in decent amounts is Makuhita when it's cloudy.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

mastershakeman posted:

I've seen some half a dozen gen3 pokémon once or twice each. (Skitty, Zigzagoon*, Slakoth*, Poochyena, Plusle, Roselia*, Seedot, and Mawile (as a raid)). The star indicates that the weather condition matched which may have been a factor.

I'm ignoring the ghosts that were added back in October though.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Looking at the Seattle map, gen3 starters are rare as hell, even Treecko when it's sunny.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I'm happy with that, when Gen 2 came out it was no effort to fill the dex as they swarmed all over the place in the beginning, even supposedly rare ones like Yanma.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
I'm fine with the rarity of Gen3 so far, seeing a shadow on the nearby scanner is exciting though having a life makes it tough to skip out when something rare is nearby. Comparatively, Gen2 was way too widely available off the bat and people burned out quick. The slow burn release and rarity of Gen3 is great, they just need to add shinies for everything to keep people clicking on everything they see.

Also, I really like how Niantic implemented the weather despite the annoying extreme weather notifications, which will likely eventually be fixed. Weather boosted 'mon are great when they're level 35+ and the way it's implemented seems to solve for the varying biome diversity and lack of rare spawns (I've seen plenty of Venusaur spawn and a Nintetails this morning). It's a smart compromise when seasonal events aren't active.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I've seen so many Hoppip/Skiploom/Jumpluff spawning in the sun.

As for the Hoenn rarity, for me it's been a fair mix of old and new so far.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I'll tell you what, this weather update is having a lot more impact for me than Gen 3 is. Gen 3 is nice to find sometimes - lots of neat new monsters, which feel adequately rare so far - but the weather is giving me some really outstanding spawns at high levels & IVs, and it'll end up saving me many tens of thousands in stardust.

I'm also finally finding good eevee spawns rather than the trash eevee I'd been finding everywhere, thanks to this.

It's so good I'm kind of expecting a nerf to come down the pipes at some point.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Is Gardevoir good? I switched to Ralts as my buddy and I was surprised to see that it took 5 km to get a candy. That's the same as Dratini / Larvitar levels.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

seiferguy posted:

Is Gardevoir good? I switched to Ralts as my buddy and I was surprised to see that it took 5 km to get a candy. That's the same as Dratini / Larvitar levels.

Gardevoir is pretty good yeah, it's the strongest fairy type by a large margin.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Gardevoir's typing will likely make it the premiere Fighting killer in this game, assuming it gets Confusion and either Dazzling Gleam or Psychic as its moveset. Psychic and Fairy are both strong against Fighting, both for offense and defense.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

DizzyBum posted:

Gardevoir's typing will likely make it the premiere Fighting killer in this game, assuming it gets Confusion and either Dazzling Gleam or Psychic as its moveset. Psychic and Fairy are both strong against Fighting, both for offense and defense.

Nice. Now I just need the weather to change so they spawn more...

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Gotta do some walking to find a variety of Gen 3s, which I'm kind of OK with. I'm not getting 2/3rds of them after a day and a half of trying.

Except these acorn motherfuckers, they're absolutely everywhere.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Most of the gen 3s have shown up around here. I wouldn't consider them particularly rare, but many of them are also bug/grass/psychic and those types are very common around here. If they seem very rare for you then hold tight and maybe you'll get some gen 3s once more types roll out. If rock types are common where you live then you'll probably be very happy once Arons show up!

I just hope i get to use the weather system before it gets nerfed. We've been under extreme weather for two days now for rain and it's entirely possible we may not have anything but extreme weather for the next few weeks. If you go here you can see all the existing advisories in Germany. Any orange advisory ("significant weather") will cause extreme weather, including advisories for rainfall and wind. It would probably be more reasonable for the red advisories ("severe" and above) to trigger extreme weather.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I'm still looking forward to the weather feature, currently dealing with XXXTREME WEATHER for a few cm of snow. And it doesn't even snow in-game, it's just cloudy all day because Accuweather apparently sucks in Europe and does not predict any snowfall even though this is the first time in a few years that we had significant amounts of snow.

It'd have been nice to get some good ice spawns out of it...

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Ran into a really weird glitch where I was catching a Vulpix but it turned into a Jigglypuff as soon as the capture screen completed. Does real time weather affect catches while you're capturing?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Louisgod posted:

Ran into a really weird glitch where I was catching a Vulpix but it turned into a Jigglypuff as soon as the capture screen completed. Does real time weather affect catches while you're capturing?

No, that's been a glitch since the game came out. This is how that woman caught an Articuno like a month into the game.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I know nothing about gen 3. Can someone tell me if any of what I have is likely to be worth immediately walking for candy?

I caught at least five each of these:

Mudkip
Poochyena
Zigzagoon
Wurmple
Makuhita
Skitty
Minun
Gulpin

And one each of these:

Torchic
Ralts
Electrike
Seviper

I’ve also been using the Pokémon Gotcha for the first time, and had the following run away while I wasn’t playing. Anything rare I’ve missed?

Roselia
Marshtomp
Grumpig
Vigoroth
Spoink

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I've seen maybe 15 gen3 spawns since they started. My screen is nothing but rats, hoothoots and loving woopers.

Give me my pidgeys back at least!

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Sanford posted:

I know nothing about gen 3. Can someone tell me if any of what I have is likely to be worth immediately walking for candy?

I caught at least five each of these:

Mudkip
Poochyena
Zigzagoon
Wurmple
Makuhita
Skitty
Minun
Gulpin

And one each of these:

Torchic
Ralts
Electrike
Seviper

I’ve also been using the Pokémon Gotcha for the first time, and had the following run away while I wasn’t playing. Anything rare I’ve missed?

Roselia
Marshtomp
Grumpig
Vigoroth
Spoink

Vigoroth and Marshtomp are 2nd stage evolutions that are relatively rare, but I'm sure you'll find more. (Grumpig also but thats easier)

The go to buddy pokemons are Slakoth and Ralts, both 5km/candy three stage evolutions. They spawn mostly as weather spawns for cloudy and partly cloudy.

Or you could walk any of the starters I guess.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Dr Tran posted:

Pier sucked. Go to the Pike instead

Yeah only got 2 Zigzagoons, but got the last 4 magikarp I needed to evolve my 3rd Gyarados....double dark moves.....

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I've seen maybe 15 gen3 spawns since they started. My screen is nothing but rats, hoothoots and loving woopers.

Give me my pidgeys back at least!

I hatched a >90% Wooper and evolved it. It’s my fifth-highest CP Pokémon of that kind.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
got my second charged tm in three months , finally fixed my secondary Mewtwo. heck yes

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Holy poo poo Spoink's animation :kimchi:

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Hopefully someone cracks the case on what triggers the extreme weather advisory in the game. Right now Accuweather has an advisory for my city which states to watch out for heavy snowfall *tomorrow*, and that's the only advisory I can see. If they're going by just the mere presence of an advisory then that's going to be a frustrating experience for probably everyone.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Motherfuck, an EX raid is happening at a starbucks I go to. I guess because I only have a bronze badge I didn't get it :(

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

seiferguy posted:

Motherfuck, an EX raid is happening at a starbucks I go to. I guess because I only have a bronze badge I didn't get it :(

I dragged my wife to a Starbucks to do a raid. She got an EX Pass, I did not. :(:hf::(

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Anybody know what a minimal Absol raid size is?

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

shyduck posted:

Anybody know what a minimal Absol raid size is?

Did it with 2, lv 40/lv 38. Forget if we had the weather fighting buff, but was easier than a ttar we did earlier with the weather buff for sure. Had a good 30 seconds on it vs down to the wire for ttar

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Has anyone said "whether you're hot to trot or cool cat not, come chill at my pogo spot" yet

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Wrist Watch posted:

Has anyone said "whether you're hot to trot or cool cat not, come chill at my pogo spot" yet

No, but I had a guy sperg away from me and my wife when I asked him if he'd walk two blocks over to do a Lapras raid with us.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Solvent posted:

No, but I had a guy sperg away from me and my wife when I asked him if he'd walk two blocks over to do a Lapras raid with us.
Was he aversive to walking with you two or did he go on about how Lapras isn't good in the meta and how it's a waste of a raid pass etc?

I wish someone would ask me to do a Lapras raid; it's the only non-regional/legendary I somehow don't have from Gen 1 and 2.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

In my mind, "sperging away" is when someone suddenly breaks into that arms-back Naruto run.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Complete overcast in my town, game still says sunny weather :thumbsup:

At least weather boosts makes soloing an Omastar pretty easy.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

It's partly cloudy here today. There are truckloads of normal-types spawning right now, with the occasional Geodude. So many Zigzagoons!

Also, while there's technically a wind advisory in effect for the area until 10 PM, the game isn't currently reporting "extreme" conditions. I'm guessing it's more temperature-based than anything. Maybe. :shrug:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
So what should i be aiming for in the pokedex? 305ish 'seen'? I've seen all the gen1 regionals and had complete dex pre gen3.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

So what should i be aiming for in the pokedex? 305ish 'seen'? I've seen all the gen1 regionals and had complete dex pre gen3.

Gotta
Catch
'Em
All

No exceptions.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Steve Jorbs posted:

Gotta
Catch
'Em
All

No exceptions.

i can't catch the regionals! ack!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Steve Jorbs posted:

Gotta
Catch
'Em
All

No exceptions.
Agreed. Did my first absol raid today because the weather boosted fighting pokemon so it was an easy 2 man and I need that pokedex entry man. It was shiny. Still haven't gotten a shinny magikarp (and they are fairly common here) but got shuppet, duskull and now absol.

• Locked thread