Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

BloodyScab posted:

quote:

Clive Johnson CIG@cjohnsonOctober 14th at 02:35 pm
Hi tom5598
You're right that the networking side of things doesn't get the spotlight very often - that's just the nature of the work really.
I think sometimes this lack of visibility can be misinterpreted as secrecy or a lack of progress, but neither of those is the case, and pretty much everything we do is shown in the production schedule.
The only things that aren't in there are those that can't easily be scheduled like bug fixing. Also sometimes we need to change priorities and the schedule can lag behind a bit.

To give you an update on the specific technologies you asked about :
Server meshing - not started yet. Our plan was always to make the single-server experience better and more optimized first.
Server meshing is going to build on the technologies we're creating for single servers, so these all need to be in place before we can start.
Also it is going to be challenging and complex work that will need the focus of the whole network programming team, so once we start work on it we don't want to be fighting a war on two fronts.

:laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Well drat, that all sounds like it could take awhile to get right. Good thing we are still in the early days.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

"Putting developers and customers on the same slack clone without any separation was probably not a great idea in hindsight." ~ Chris Probably

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

What is the server meshing supposed to do? Other than be the *magic* that makes everything work.

And let's be clear here; a 'server mesh' is effectively just describing a system where hosts are interconnected with a least cost routing model. It's not _a thing_, but a philosophy that you have to construct your entire server architecture around because it impacts the operation of said, not the least is going to be introducing race conditions. You don't take a piece of single-threaded server software and bang it into a mesh for the ability to say you did it.

Feels like they're moving closer to an instance model with queuing, but the technical issues are still massive here, not the least is the exponential increase in traffic that comes from meshing.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Hav posted:

What is the server meshing supposed to do? Other than be the *magic* that makes everything work.

And let's be clear here; a 'server mesh' is effectively just describing a system where hosts are interconnected with a least cost routing model. It's not _a thing_, but a philosophy that you have to construct your entire server architecture around because it impacts the operation of said, not the least is going to be introducing race conditions. You don't take a piece of single-threaded server software and bang it into a mesh for the ability to say you did it.

Feels like they're moving closer to an instance model with queuing, but the technical issues are still massive here, not the least is the exponential increase in traffic that comes from meshing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeZtqoydXpc

:gary:

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

The Titanic posted:

You’re so cute when you do this. You’re not a backer and you have no “skin in the game”. :)

It’s totally ok to just be here to troll people, especially Derek, but this stuff is so silly of you. You’re literally the anti-backer in everything except when you say otherwise. :)

This is the silliest part of your gimmick.

What's with the reverse psychology bit of late? Saying I'm not a backer is not going to get me to link my account or show "proof" otherwise. Don't want to believe that I am? I'm fine with that.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ManofManyAliases posted:

What's with the reverse psychology bit of late? Saying I'm not a backer is not going to get me to link my account or show "proof" otherwise. Don't want to believe that I am? I'm fine with that.

Apart from this post, obviously.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
Moreso than any of the Jesus patches, the revolutionary nested server mesh technology was going to be the silver bullet that turned Star Citizen into the BDSSE instead of a 6 FPS barely multiplayer buggy pile of poo poo.

The fact that they admit that they haven't even STARTED on the most important and difficult thing that will make or break the entire project is incredible.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

ManofManyAliases posted:

What does it even matter if Moma is a backer or not? I've never understood the Moma's spaceships sleuthing thing.

You're still toast, though.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Enchanted Hat posted:

they haven't even STARTED

You admit that the devlopement didn't even start, so stop panic and FUDing. Buying a submarine loaded with torpedoes will appease you.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm letting you backers know that I understand the hell out of game development. Real meat and potatoes stuff.

And if you wait a minute, I'll show you just how the sausage gets made.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Star Citizen: not started yet

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

ManofManyAliases posted:

Just ignore the sycophants.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
You know. Some people might feel bad for Clive, saying hes defensive because hes stuck by management, etc so hes doing the bullshit artist routine.

You know what? gently caress him. He's just a fuckin scammer (if your paycheck is derived from theft or fraud and you know it. You are just as guilty! Even if you are a janitor. You know better. Get a real job) at this point and I hope they use him as the scappiest of goats soon.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hav posted:

One morning, after a whole night of coding, Chris Roberts had an unique insight: Just like clients connect to the same server, multiple servers can connect to each other! Therefore, if a server can handle a hundred clients, then ten servers connected together will be able to handle a thousand.

Math doesn't lie.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

SCtrumpHaters posted:

You know. Some people might feel bad for Clive, saying hes defensive because hes stuck by management, etc so hes doing the bullshit artist routine.

You know what? gently caress him. He's just a fuckin scammer (if your paycheck is derived from theft or fraud and you know it. You are just as guilty! Even if you are a janitor. You know better. Get a real job) at this point and I hope they use him as the scappiest of goats soon.

I think your gimmick swung too far to the other side

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Daztek posted:

I think your gimmick swung too far to the other side

Another part of cutting the bullshit is any sympathy for people who choose to continue working at CIG. They know the score.
They have known it for a long time. They are scammers. Some may be the equivalent of the office secretary at the phishing call office in India but they are still scammers, they help enable it to go more efficiently and profit personally from it to the tune of tens of thousands a year.

If you can't get an actual job then maybe you aren't good enough for the industry.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

SCtrumpHaters posted:

I'm letting you backers know that I understand the hell out of game development. Real meat and potatoes stuff.

And if you wait a minute, I'll show you just how the sausage gets made.

I didn't know that game development involved meat and potatoes.

:thunk:

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lets get really real here guy who works as a paralegal in LA (random example).

The tens of thousands of dollars a year you receive is derived from people, often mentally ill, who think you are making and delivering a certain product. you know for a fact that that product is impossible or of such poor quality. Yet you stay. You justify to yourself that you aren't the one in charge. just doing what you are told. those tens of thousands in cash is just too nice. You don't even quit your job even though you fail over and over to get even the most basic things correct. You have 0 pride.

You stay at this point because you either don't care (ie scum) or know you could not get an actual job in the industry (parasitic scum).

SCtrumpHaters fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 11, 2017

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Hav posted:

Obviously 10 million AI agents would know how to avoid generating too much inter-communication traffic.

SelenicMartian posted:

Star Citizen: not started yet

:five::five::five:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://twitter.com/BigfryTV/status/940249688321671168

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Hav posted:

They're vested in Yojimbo at the moment;

https://github.com/networkprotocol/yojimbo

I believe private servers were a stretch goal? Remember when Elite announced that there would be no entire offline mode and the mad people rebelled?

But that's just a network library. As you know there's also physics/simulation, AI, state tracking, tons of subsystems. That needs to be built inside a server framework which handles resource allocation, scaling, spatial segmentation, load balancing, recovery, shared state, persistence, etc. I get the vibe I am getting is that they don't really have this and are just piggybacking on cryengine.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Lets get really real here guy who works in QA at Manchester (random example).

The tens of thousands of dollars a year you receive is derived from people, often mentally ill, who think you are making and delivering a certain product. you know for a fact that that product is impossible or of such poor quality. Yet you stay. You justify to yourself that you aren't the one in charge. just doing what you are told. those tens of thousands in cash is just too nice. You don't even quit your job even though you fail over and over to get even the most basic things correct. You have 0 pride.

You stay at this point because you either don't care (ie scum) or know you could not get an actual job in the industry (parasitic scum).
Chris Roberts: I'm not a criminal. I'm a con man.
Dr. Smart: The difference being?
Chris Roberts: They give me their money.
Dr. Smart: That's a nice rationalization, Chris.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/940250380025454592

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

Article or blog?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Incitatus posted:

Article or blog?

TheAgent posted:

Incinatus: Is it an article or a blog?
Dr. Smart: The difference being?
Incinatus: A blog is composed of articles
Dr. Smart: That's a nice rationalization, Incinatus.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Incitatus posted:

I didn't know that game development involved meat and potatoes.

:thunk:

perma crunch mode produces the civil meat for the best drat grotesque meal ever

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

PederP posted:

But that's just a network library. As you know there's also physics/simulation, AI, state tracking, tons of subsystems. That needs to be built inside a server framework which handles resource allocation, scaling, spatial segmentation, load balancing, recovery, shared state, persistence, etc. I get the vibe I am getting is that they don't really have this and are just piggybacking on cryengine.

My point was that they're really pinning hope on the network library that is effectively a rework of other existing code being written by a volunteer. Nothing else is effectively being built on top of that. Yes, they're relying on Lumberyard, and appear to have placed an undue amount of importance on the aforementioned

You should go find the video on the serialised variables. They literally figured out atomic updates of objects (_get & _set) last year. Race conditions appear to be hilariously common in a largely single-threaded application, which starts to raise the specter of trying to scale out.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 11, 2017

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Another part of cutting the bullshit is any sympathy for people who choose to continue working at CIG. They know the score.
They have known it for a long time. They are scammers. Some may be the equivalent of the office secretary at the phishing call office in India but they are still scammers, they help enable it to go more efficiently and profit personally from it to the tune of tens of thousands a year.

If you can't get an actual job then maybe you aren't good enough for the industry.

Mate of mine works in Foundry 42, he's been trying to get out for a year now :/

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Hav posted:

You should go find the video on the serialised variables. They literally figured out atomic updates of objects (_get & _set) last year. Race conditions appear to be hilariously common in a largely single-threaded application, which starts to raise the specter of trying to scale out.

Star Citizen: Around the Verse - Serialized Variables
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4m2nwn5wT8&t=793s

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

OK, serious question time.

Is there anyone who seriously - no snark - thinks that there is ever going to be a "game" coming from this?

We make fun of them for the lols, but we're now down to the point where we have to start taking this poo poo seriously because, you know, lives and bank accounts are at a risk.

I do. I really mean it.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

First was about Database Schmeg
Now. It's not about netcode

I think the last thing will be

It's a player problem not the game

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Hav posted:

My point was that they're really pinning hope on the network library that is effectively a rework of other existing code being written by a volunteer. Nothing else is effectively being built on top of that. Yes, they're relying on Lumberyard, and appear to have placed an undue amount of importance on the aforementioned

Wow. That's just sad. There are bound to be developers onboard who know exactly how much this is a death march and going absolutely nowhere. I don't agree that people should "just quit". Yeah, they know it's a scam, but if they have families to feed that takes precedence. There are a lot of jobs which have an immoral aspect, and it's easy to claim the moral highground at a distance. Life sucks for the people who know this will end badly, that job loss is inevitable and haven't been able to find a new one yet. I would be surprised if basically every single programmer wasn't looking for new employment.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Star Citizen is the greatest videogame ever made except when anyone is actually playing

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

SelenicMartian posted:

Remember how a flashlight would light asteroids for miles?

I don't remember this. Please elaborate.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

PederP posted:

Well, I've been a gamedev for more than a decade, and I've never heard anyone use frame in a server-side context.

I've heard it and used it fairly often myself, so :confused:

PederP posted:

You also shouldn't have a loop based server architecture in an MMO, outside of basic plumbing for consumer-producer patterns, etc.

Um, are we having a semantic issue here? The core of any video game program is the update loop. Are you saying a game server should not run a simulation of the game? Have you worked on any games that actually use client-server architecture (which is obviously required for an MMO)? Peer-to-Peer network arch you could maybe get away with a stateless server just marshaling messages between clients, but... an MMO?

Use case: World of Warcraft raid.
25 people are standing in front of a raid boss. The raid boss is waiting for one of two things:
1. A player moves within 20m
2. A player attacks

When 1. or 2. happens, the boss starts his timer (countdown to enrage), changes state from "waiting" to "phase 1", decides who to attack, moves, and starts attacking.

So who controls the raid boss in WoW? Who keeps time? Who tells the boss where to move and who to attack? The server does. It's running a copy of the game, and the core of any game is the update loop. The server is waiting for client input and reacting by changing state, much the same way as a GUI is waiting for user input. When you boil that down to its core, you will find a while(true) loop.

The speed at which the while(true) loop runs is called the tick rate or frame rate of the server.

If you've been doing this for 10 years, you will no doubt feel I'm being condescending, so apologies, not my intention. I'm trying to get on the same page here, and also add some informative stuff for those who aren't coders or don't have game dev experience.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

EminusSleepus posted:

First was about Database Schmeg
Now. It's not about netcode

I think the last thing will be

It's a player problem not the game

I think it's pretty clear that they're going to shift the message to "It's your hardware, stupid. See look at all these streamers getting smooth framerates, the problem is that your computer is inadequate."

<Streamers continue to play on private server with ~5 people>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TGTYOS44H4&t=1490s

THE NETCODE IS FINE THIS IS FINE