Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i think i can take mother and child
there should be a listing in the op of these. like, status: suggested, taken, done, i can't keep track

That's a great idea, dead bob!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Indeed. Very good call. I'll comb through, collate and update the OP tonight.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

a cooking challenge where someone creates dishes based off of SA usernames. yes please

As forums user 10 Beers, I will gladly accept the challenge based on my name.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

10 Beers posted:

As forums user 10 Beers, I will gladly accept the challenge based on my name.

Awwww :smithfrog:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

That post was magnificent, Rooster. I'm a fan of goat, jerk, and crabcake-style patties, so that sounded pretty good, if nowhere near the original idea!

Maybe it's regional, but 7-11 has been offering Jamaican beef patties in their recently expanded "grill" section. Aaaand now I really miss living up the street from a Caribbean grocer, they had all kinds of Jamaican patties in their freezer section. Curry chicken patties were my jam.

Also, I'm still down with making "handcheese with music" --- probably Wednesday, that's my day off.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Should I be chiming in, having a food-based-username?

I'm adding Welsh Rarebit to the list.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
I still want to know what kind of culinary terror my nick would inspire. Oh, no one has to MAKE it, just make it up.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Samizdata posted:

I still want to know what kind of culinary terror my nick would inspire. Oh, no one has to MAKE it, just make it up.

Sounds like an Eastern European dish to me. Boiled cabbage and sausage with caraway seeds and a side of rye bread.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I'm pretty sure a "Wroughtirony" would be an elaborate wedding cake created by an extremely homophobic baker- a truly exquisite cake and the showpiece of the baker's career. An ad campaign featuring the cake (and happy couple) would be created at great expense and business would be booming until somebody pointed out that the "groom" in the picture was female. A media kerfuffle ensues, celebrities take sides, the couple is gifted a lavish honeymoon, the Human Rights Council rakes in donations, and the bakery goes out of business.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Wroughtirony posted:

I'm pretty sure a "Wroughtirony" would be an elaborate wedding cake created by an extremely homophobic baker- a truly exquisite cake and the showpiece of the baker's career. An ad campaign featuring the cake (and happy couple) would be created at great expense and business would be booming until somebody pointed out that the "groom" in the picture was female. A media kerfuffle ensues, celebrities take sides, the couple is gifted a lavish honeymoon, the Human Rights Council rakes in donations, and the bakery goes out of business.

This is beautiful.

Also, OP has been updated with a running list of done, claimed and up for grabs.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I think I'll take chess pie, although it's gonna take me a couple of days to get around to it.

E: and come to think of it, I'd also like to nominate "spaghetti alla Puttanesca", or "spaghetti in the style of whores".

legendof fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 11, 2017

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Nettle Soup posted:

Should I be chiming in, having a food-based-username?

I'm adding Welsh Rarebit to the list.

To which I'll add English and Italian Rarebit.

Also adding The smile of a calf prepared after the recipe of a she-banker.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

legendof posted:

E: and come to think of it, I'd also like to nominate "spaghetti alla Puttanesca", or "spaghetti in the style of whores".

Loving that in combination with your avatar.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I won't be back able to make doom rooster until Thursday or Friday.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I offer up for the challenge a cultural cornerstone of my terrible state: funeral potatoes.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Already suggest and claimed! Execudork and rumble in the bunghole will both be going after it.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Doom Rooster posted:

Already suggest and claimed! Execudork and rumble in the bunghole will both be going after it.
Oh damnit, I scanned the OP and missed it :downs:

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I'd like to add Tiger Meat, a food very near and dear to South Dakotans. Possilbe TMI for those undertaking the challenge: I will add that foodsafety.gov has a blog post specifically dedicated to telling people not to prepare and consume tiger meat.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Well, yeah. They would want people to buy domestic like bobcats and mountain lions.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
I'd like to suggest the classic St. Louis Gooey Butter Cake.

Sadly I am not in a situation where I can cook any recommendations right now but I am interested in seeing what half of these actually are.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
How about a good ol' Wisconsin Butter Burger?

If that's not vague enough for you, you could also try a Danish Kringle. (Kringle apparently comes from a word meaning "circle".)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Doom Rooster posted:

North Dakota Cake

turn left op, noo! it's called "kuchen" literally. the german aspect comes into it here. they call it kuchen, not cake. also, even more specifically, it's common among the Dakota diaspora who say they are "Germans from Russia" i.e. Germanic people who were in Russia before coming to America. idk if all that needs to be in the op but it definitely isn't just "cake"

insertdumbnamehere
Jan 1, 2013

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I'd like to add Tiger Meat, a food very near and dear to South Dakotans. Possilbe TMI for those undertaking the challenge: I will add that foodsafety.gov has a blog post specifically dedicated to telling people not to prepare and consume tiger meat.

Is this an east river thing? I've lived in Rapid City my entire life and never heard of it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

pidan posted:

From Germany:
- sausage salad
I've kind of half-arsed this one, just because I happened to have some leftover sausages in the fridge. I thought "Germans like cabbage" so I made some coleslaw and put cut up sausages in it. Served with baked beans and cheese on baked potatoes.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

insertdumbnamehere posted:

Is this an east river thing? I've lived in Rapid City my entire life and never heard of it.

Very probably. I think it extends into Minnesota and North Dakota too. Wikipedia says Wisconsin too, and that it's a German thing.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

I've kind of half-arsed this one, just because I happened to have some leftover sausages in the fridge. I thought "Germans like cabbage" so I made some coleslaw and put cut up sausages in it. Served with baked beans and cheese on baked potatoes.

That looks terrible, but tasty! Anyone want to chime in with a critique of what German Sausage Salad should have been?

Lutha Mahtin posted:

turn left op, noo! it's called "kuchen" literally. the german aspect comes into it here. they call it kuchen, not cake. also, even more specifically, it's common among the Dakota diaspora who say they are "Germans from Russia" i.e. Germanic people who were in Russia before coming to America. idk if all that needs to be in the op but it definitely isn't just "cake"

Updated!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm guessing it's wurstsalat that was being attempted, in which case a recipe for the real thing is here. It's basically julienne sausage, pickles, onions, and optionally cheese seasoned with vinegar.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Doom Rooster posted:

I'm away from home for more than 3 weeks, leaving tomorrow, so rumble in the bunghole absolutely has first dibs on it. And anybody else, obviously.

That Culturally-Ignorant-of-Germans sausage salad meal seems pretty good to me. How about a trip report re: taste (and gastric consequences, if any), Tiggum?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm guessing it's wurstsalat that was being attempted, in which case a recipe for the real thing is here. It's basically julienne sausage, pickles, onions, and optionally cheese seasoned with vinegar.

This may be the most German thing that I have ever seen.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ExecuDork posted:

That Culturally-Ignorant-of-Germans sausage salad meal seems pretty good to me. How about a trip report re: taste (and gastric consequences, if any), Tiggum?
Well, it was just coleslaw and sausages, so it was fine. Other than putting the sausages in the coleslaw instead of just serving them alongside it it was just a normal meal I'd happily eat any time, and that one small change didn't really make a significant difference.

The weirdest/most adventurous thing about it was that I baked the potatoes in a micro-convection oven for the first time (since I just got one) and they turned out pretty well. I just guessed the cooking time and temperature (30 mins at 200°) and I think I got it pretty much spot on.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I would like to tackle Nun Farts, please.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Tiggum posted:

This is amazing, I was afraid sausage salad was the boringest of my suggestions, but I'm glad it inspired you :)

Doom Rooster posted:

That looks terrible, but tasty! Anyone want to chime in with a critique of what German Sausage Salad should have been?

I haven't eaten it in years, but my aunt's partner used to make some really great sausage salad.

First, you need this kind of sausage:

According to wikipedia, it's called bologna in English. Normally you'd cut slices off and eat them on bread, but you can also make salad with it.

The other ingredients are mostly onions and pickles, but you can get creative and put tomatoes, peppers, radishes, carrots, cheese, or basically anything you'd find in a salad. I don't remember ever seeing anything leafy or starchy in it, so I'm afraid cabbage is an innovation. We do love cabbage though, who doesn't love cabbage?
Sausage salad is seasoned with some sort of vinaigrette, and you eat it with bread, or just plain like a normal salad before the main course.

Wikipedia has a collection of pictures of sausage salad, this one sort of represents the ideal:

And here's a Swiss version with some additional ingredients:

And here's one in its natural habitat, the beer garden:

In a beer garden you're allowed to bring your own food as long as you buy the beer, but various salads and cheeses are exactly what is sold there.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

pidan posted:

Wikipedia has a collection of pictures of sausage salad, this one sort of represents the ideal:

Oh it looks so weird and wormy but I am salivating

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I'll just chime in that wurstsalat varies from region to region in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. Southern bayrischer wurstsalat might (emphasis on might, it varies) be served without the spirzalized sausage (just thin medallions), no cheese, and lots of vinegar based dressing.

This image is similar to what I had in Munich:

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 13, 2017

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.
This thread is amazing, can't wait to see more. Might even dive in myself!

As for offerings, how about a Japanese favorite, university potatoes? Or the German liver cheese. Also has the very British toad in the hole been suggested yet?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Otana posted:

Also has the very British toad in the hole been suggested yet?

Yeah the OP tracks it.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Otana posted:

how about a Japanese favorite, university potatoes?

I would love someone to do this.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Otana posted:

This thread is amazing, can't wait to see more. Might even dive in myself!

As for offerings, how about a Japanese favorite, university potatoes?

I'm calling this one, I've got a terrible idea.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I would love someone to do this.
Same here, but then they should send them over to deliver me from my no-carb sadness.
Actually, I should probably hold out for the real thing and not settle for what a goon thinks it may be. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Ranter posted:

Yeah the OP tracks it.

My bad!

Gann Jerrod posted:

I'm calling this one, I've got a terrible idea.

YESSSSS

Hirayuki posted:

Same here, but then they should send them over to deliver me from my no-carb sadness.
Actually, I should probably hold out for the real thing and not settle for what a goon thinks it may be. :ohdear:

Yeah I kinda regret thinking of it because now I want some.

• Locked thread