Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

All this steak talk, what do you guys do if you have to do about 6 at once for your family?

I have one large cast iron griddle pan, and one slightly smaller cast iron griddle pan,l as well as various other pans and the over... how can I go about this so that I have all six steaks ready and done at the same time without making a balls up or over cooking a couple?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Tindahbawx posted:

All this steak talk, what do you guys do if you have to do about 6 at once for your family?

I have one large cast iron griddle pan, and one slightly smaller cast iron griddle pan,l as well as various other pans and the over... how can I go about this so that I have all six steaks ready and done at the same time without making a balls up or over cooking a couple?

1) grill them
2) reverse sear them and get as many pans as possible screaming hot on the stovetop, then sear them all at the same time. It will be hectic, noisy, and smoky, but doable

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

You can’t really do it, it’s like if you wanted a fun car with your same family. Best you can get is doing two batches where the first ones are wrapped in tinfoil until the second set have come off the pans and rested then you serve them together.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Sous vide them and finish them in the pan i guess

Do two massive ribeyes and slice em up

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Microwave them at 50% for 8 minutes per steak to get a good sear.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Bought a pasta machine, finally, so naturally...

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Tindahbawx posted:

Souse vide them all simultaneously and finish on a grill or charcoal chimney.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Tindahbawx posted:

Hire someone to flip them constantly

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Well thanks for all the suggestions. Don't have a sous vide sonic reckon I'll go with the option of getting a couple of ridiculous sized lumps of meat and working from there.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
A very large grill.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

Tindahbawx posted:

Well thanks for all the suggestions. Don't have a sous vide sonic reckon I'll go with the option of getting a couple of ridiculous sized lumps of meat and working from there.

what kind of family is this? i've never been in any group of 6 people that would all eat a medium rare steak. there's always at least one fool who wants it cooked brown through

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
We would always make that person sleep outside in the shed

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Do two massive ribeyes and slice em up

This. Instead of buying six 8ounce steaks, buy 3 16ounce or even better, 2 24ounce steaks. Thicker steaks (1.5" and thicker), when cooked properly, will always be superiour smaller cuts (when appropriate for the cut of steak).

This way you only have to sear two steaks which shouldn't add much more time or effort versus 3 times the work for less flavorful dinner.

Edit: Example:

atothesquiz fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 30, 2017

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Where did all the asparagus go?!

(good job)

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Yeah seriously, who only cooks like 8 asparagus???

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
I think there are like 10! And I dont order/make steak for the sides.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

I did a couple of cool new things this week. Chilles rellenos smothered in extra cheese & chorizo & salsa:

These took about an hour longer than I thought they would, mostly because I forgot we had a whisk attachment on our stand mixer and I decided to try and whisk egg whites stiff by hand, which I had never done before. I really appreciate my stand mixer now. Speaking of, I've been making no-knead bread for a while now, and decided to spend yesterday baking with a more traditional method for the first time.

Odd spots on the crust because I did not have a spray bottle at hand to mist the loaf before sticking in the oven, but I still wanted to get some water on it to steam in the first half of baking, so I just kinda flicked water at it before baking. I now have a spray bottle. Baking bread is awesome :)

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
Chile rellenos are one of those dishes I love making and constantly try to improve with varying degrees of success. Yours look fantastic! Do you have a link to the recipe?

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Feeling quite proud of myself, first time I've really cooked in way too long thanks to depression. Pork Tenderloin with a balsamic, soy sauce, garlic marinade. Simple, but absolutely reinvigorated my desire to cook more. Shame my roommates went out partying and missed it.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Made some pasta from scratch and rolled up some meatballs, kept it simple and delicious.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Juxtaposition overload

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

ogopogo posted:

Made some pasta from scratch and rolled up some meatballs, kept it simple and delicious.

Great shot and food looks amazing.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I've been watching videos from Maangchi's Youtube channel for a while now and made a couple things that didn't call for specialty ingredients. Today I finally went down to the Korean grocery store to get pepper flakes and dried anchovies and fermented shrimps and all that good stuff. And I celebrated by making Bo-ssam, pork belly cabbage wraps.

The cabbage is quick-pickled, and next time I'll trim more of the base off. The sherry glass contains fermented shrimp relish, while the bowl is oyster radish salad. You put it all together and pop it in your mouth. It's an overwhelming combination of flavors, and is very good. I also made cabbage-and-soybean-paste soup with the leftover cabbage, but I don't have a picture of that.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Tindahbawx posted:

A lot of planning and timing.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Kenning posted:

I've been watching videos from Maangchi's Youtube channel for a while now and made a couple things that didn't call for specialty ingredients. Today I finally went down to the Korean grocery store to get pepper flakes and dried anchovies and fermented shrimps and all that good stuff. And I celebrated by making Bo-ssam, pork belly cabbage wraps.

The cabbage is quick-pickled, and next time I'll trim more of the base off. The sherry glass contains fermented shrimp relish, while the bowl is oyster radish salad. You put it all together and pop it in your mouth. It's an overwhelming combination of flavors, and is very good. I also made cabbage-and-soybean-paste soup with the leftover cabbage, but I don't have a picture of that.

Needs some fresh garlic slices, but looks good. Bossam is one of my fav meals.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
late but first chili of the season

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

THE MACHO MAN posted:

That's a proper chili.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Do you deglaze the fond with the Guinness after browning the meat or do you just add it directly to the chili? I’m way too used to making stew to make a good chili I feel like.

Looks amazing though.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Hob_Gadling posted:

Steak and salad.

Yours looks really good, similar to mine. Picked some USDA Prime filets from a local butcher today and cooked them with the girlfriend. My filet came wrapped with bacon. We just pan fried it in a non-stick pan for 5 minutes each side, lightly seasoned with salt and pepper, had butter/oil in the pan.

Only real challenge is there wasn't much heat when we finally sat down. Any advice on how to retain the heat? Our concern is we like our steaks pretty rare and we don't want it to overcook if it is kept in the oven or is covered with something to retain heat.

(I had no hand in the vegetables other rinsing before they were prepared)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Casu Marzu posted:

Needs some fresh garlic slices, but looks good. Bossam is one of my fav meals.

That's a great idea. Both the oyster radish salad and the fermented shrimp relish have lots of fresh garlic in them, but a straight slice in one of the wraps would be fantastic.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

emotive posted:

Tonight: Tacos with roasted cauliflower, salsa macha, pickled onion, feta & cilantro

That looks amazing and I want to make it for my mom (who turned vegetarian this year.) Salsa macha seems simple enough to make based on a quick google search, but what's the best way to roast the cauliflower? I'm a cooking noob, and I don't really use my oven. Ever.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Stringent posted:

That's a proper chili.

thank you!

VelociBacon posted:

Do you deglaze the fond with the Guinness after browning the meat or do you just add it directly to the chili? I’m way too used to making stew to make a good chili I feel like.

Looks amazing though.

Deglaze. I throw onions and pepper in after the meat and do a quick deglaze to get some of it up. Once the veg has been sweated, I throw in my spice paste and get that caramelized good, then deglaze again. Then stock and rest.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Doc Walrus posted:

That looks amazing and I want to make it for my mom (who turned vegetarian this year.) Salsa macha seems simple enough to make based on a quick google search, but what's the best way to roast the cauliflower? I'm a cooking noob, and I don't really use my oven. Ever.

Preheat your oven to 500* (or as hot is it will go, if less), toss florets with oil and a little salt then roast for 20 minutes.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

THE MACHO MAN posted:

You seem to have forgotten the image of you putting the beans in.

:can:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

that's a can of worms, not beans

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
There's a chili thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3451852 where beans vs. no beans is a welcome discussion at any and all times.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
A tale of taco topping use in three parts.

The first night - skirt steak tacos with a red onion/cilantro/jalapeno/orange bell pepper mix, avocado, sour cream, lime.

Which turned into breakfast tacos the next morning. Same thing as above but with a sloppy fried egg mixed in.

Finally last night, I still had the red onion/cilantro mix, so I fried up the rest of the corn tortillas into chips and mashed the rest of the avocado I had. I had some chimichurri leftover from last week so I marinated some chicken in that, and cooked it up. Then I made nachos that reigned supreme.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

A++ would attempt to lick my monitor again

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Yeah making that into 3 meals was tops, great work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

A meal that I crafted for a friend on a special, medically required diet: tiny portions, no rice, not too much fat (recent gastric surgery). I took the idea of Indian saag paneer, and turned it into a warm salad. Fresh, homemade paneer cubes over fresh spinach wilted in curry spices with a bit of rice vinegar.

Since half of a baked stuffed squash was too big of a portion, I deconstructed it by chopping it up into cubes and roasting it. Kabocha squash stuffed with oyster mushrooms cooked with shallots and garlic.

The oyster mushrooms were locally foraged by a friend of mine, and the pumpkin was from my dad's garden.