Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Sarsapariller posted:

< Game currently features instant automatic loading of cargo for free. >

I read that and wonder why they don't just get a CDL and live out their trucking dream. Sure it's no space trucking, but they seem to get off on loading pallets 1 by 1 and working out the correct place to load them in the trailer for weight distribution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

Ah! So either they hosed it up or there's some truth to the rumour that no one wants anything more to do with them

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hav posted:

Lesnick hasn't left, he's just gone deep black and is working on the magnum opus that is the 'Making of Star Citizen'.

It's a disaster movie.

The Towering Inferno?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

If you want to maximize your in-game profits you auto-load because filling up 600+ crates by hand will eat more time than 60 regular cargo runs. I think deep down Citizens know this, they're just so enamored of the shiny tech toy that they have to find some way to cram it into the dream.

In the same way piracy is actually completely economically unfeasible and basically only exists for trolling because why risk your ship and life to steal 2 crates when you could just get a hauler and run 600 in the same amount of time? Elite has the same issue and the devs have been completely unable to solve it, leading to piracy being a backwater niche for pvpers and an endless source of people who feel grief on the forums.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Hav posted:

App Developers are an almost bottomless resource.

Trailers, they farm out the trailers. And the ship models ffs.

All the promo & concept art is farmed out, that's why it's all archered, that's standard and predictable - and cheap.

But this was Chris's big moment wasn't it, he's done this in-house - took out a loan to produce a trailer and then hosed it up

That's why no one knew anything about it outside of cig!

That's why the Derby office started hiring right after the Coutts loan!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

It's because, get this, space trading games are bad.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Colostomy Bag posted:

The Towering Inferno?

The Day The Dumpster Caught Fire?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/208684885?t=11m20s

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Derek you may as well spill what you have been sitting on because the cat just crawled out of the bag.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

big nipples big life posted:

Shut your dirty mouth. :colbert:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Scruffpuff posted:

CR thought the game would be done by now
Coke is a hell of a drug.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Ok who is going to record the in theater SQ42 trailer for the thread on opening night? Is there enough time to trick reddit into doing it? 1 2 3 not it.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Sarsapariller posted:

If you want to maximize your in-game profits you auto-load because filling up 600+ crates by hand will eat more time than 60 regular cargo runs. I think deep down Citizens know this, they're just so enamored of the shiny tech toy that they have to find some way to cram it into the dream.

What they want, in reality is the same as every other sandbox mmo enthusiasts is for other players to be forced to be a box loader for them. They want to know the immersion exists, but it won't be THEM getting paid basically nothing to load cargo. Nearly every other sandbox MMO is populated with these idiots who wonder why no one wants to be a horse holder in real time.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Hav posted:

Lesnick hasn't left, he's just gone deep black and is working on the magnum opus that is the 'Making of Star Citizen'.

It's a disaster movie.

Benny The Buffet Slayer?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

Derek you may as well spill what you have been sitting on because the cat just crawled out of the bag.

I suspect this netcodegate also shall pass and be forgotten.. like tears in rain.

Re the SQ42 trailer. If they are planning to show one for the backers now, why would that trailer not be suitable for cinemas?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/940293615535865856

5 years in (after holiday sale).

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Virtual Captain posted:

Ok who is going to record the in theater SQ42 trailer for the thread on opening night? Is there enough time to trick reddit into doing it? 1 2 3 not it.

Not it

Anyway I'm sure some citizen will do it

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

MedicineHut posted:

I suspect this netcodegate also shall pass and be forgotten.. like tears in rain.

Netcodegate is a mere drop in the ocean

Renegotiating with Coutts is going to make Brexit look like a day at the farm

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Waitafuckingminute. Didnt we just read that netcode was fine? Why are they doing a special on something that is just FINE?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ZealousFoX/status/940310920701599744

may or may not

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Viscous Soda posted:

I don't see why CIG keeps trying to hammer Cryengine into a MMO shaped hole that if obviously doesn't fit into.

IMO they should just take what they've got, drop the player count back to 24, allow players to host games, do what they can to fix it up and then slap the Squadron 42 script into it. So it's not a MMO, big deal. S42 was always supposed to be a single player or small group experience.

Then they can salvage what assets they can, port them into a engine that's actually usable for a MMO and start fresh without the huge truckload of Cryengine baggage. Of course they'd still have the same management, so I'm not sure how much that'd help.

Picture the dream they have sold though. You are Admiral James T. Spacemaster, flying a capital ship with hundreds of poor scrubs manning your bars, dancing your poles and mopping your floors in high fidelity. Thousands of poverty striken new boys sigh as you fly past slowly in your giant space dick Javelin.

If they cant get this thing running like Eve they are hosed as no one paid to show off their ships to a smaller crowd than a CS:GO match. PC Gamer will still give it 95% though

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

MedicineHut posted:

Re the SQ42 trailer. If they are planning to show one for the backers now, why would that trailer not be suitable for cinemas?

Because a SQ42 trailer would feature sandi gardiner, and she can't appear on a cinema screen.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

They couldn't even do a 90 second trailer?

Even by CIGs standards that doesn't sound right. They crap these things out all the time when there's a ship sale.

Or do you mean they were aiming to have a playable version of S42 ready to go?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
I got my value for my money,

kickstarter 2012, Gamescom 2013, Citizen Con 2013, Gamescom 2014, Citizen Con 2014, Gamescom 2015, Citizen Con 2015, Gamescom 2016, Citizen Con 2016, Gamescom 2017, Citizen Con 2017.

Over 1000, yes 1000, youtube videos.

At least he tried.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

PederP posted:

This is similar to how Total War replays are just inputs being replayed (sometimes resulting in a different outcome due to a miniscule non-deterministic elements). It's not an uncommon way to hack together persistence without having to tackle the actual state.

Right so again, just for the record, “position updates” + “a server that is not gargling in bukkake hell” + “dead reckoning” is like, out of the question at CIG Networking Conglomerates, INC.

I have to manage the physics calculation for every ship in my vicinity, just loving :lol: What a poo poo idea, my god.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

MedicineHut posted:

I don't know

They've even set up a licensing company to collect the royalties on the IP from public performance, you can see the whole thing in plain sight

Normally a publisher collects those for 50%, so they've licensed everything to themselves

This is why they've been scrambling for artists and lighting techs and modellers

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boCAak0OMcY&t=436s

:gary:

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

SomethingJones posted:

I don't know

They've even set up a licensing company to collect the royalties on the IP from public performance, you can see the whole thing in plain sight

Normally a publisher collects those for 50%, so they've licensed everything to themselves

This is why they've been scrambling for artists and lighting techs and modellers

Whoa, whoa slow down there for a moment chief.

Where are these "royalties on the IP from public performance" coming from exactly?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Toops posted:

Right so again, just for the record, “position updates” + “a server that is not gargling in bukkake hell” + “dead reckoning” is like, out of the question at CIG Networking Conglomerates, INC.

I have to manage the physics calculation for every ship in my vicinity, just loving :lol: What a poo poo idea, my god.

XPlane runs full physics on each AI plane in the vicinity but needs a core for each one.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Toops posted:

I wouldn't question that you are right about this. It's more that there's multiple Facettes to how CIG fudged it and they are all equally entertaining to illuminate.

For me the personal highlight is networking IFCS on top of the vehicle dynamics

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

big nipples big life posted:

But I've played so many of them?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Beet Wagon posted:

The reports forum is viewable by all mods, actually. So when one of you guys loses your mind and reports someone a dozen times because you're mad about their posts I get PMs asking why you're melting down :D

Every time I see a picture of Kayak I just want to hug him and assure him that the Star Citizen Thread cannot hurt him.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

BeigeJacket posted:

Whoa, whoa slow down there for a moment chief.

Where are these "royalties on the IP from public performance" coming from exactly?

Well for music it comes from the PRS who collect fees from literally everywhere that broadcasts music. You need to buy a license to play music - clubs, shops, venues etc. Then the copyright holder puts in claims and gets a quarterly cheque. There's a bit more to it of course but the PRS pay out to the copyright holders after collecting fees. Multi millions a year. I'm in this world and work with 2 sync licensing companies.

For film it's the same sort of thing. CIG have set up the equivilant of me doing self publishing which means more legwork but 100% royalties.

At least that's what it looks like to me.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Scruffpuff posted:

gently caress it, I suck at being coy.

Here is a blast from the past. I cribbed this from a Forbes article, but there are plenty of references around the web.

This stuck in Chris Roberts' craw and never left it. The plan, greased liberally by backer money and Mr. Hamill's good graces, was to have a kick-rear end Squadron 42 game trailer ready to go along with this Friday's launch of The Last Jedi.

I'm not sure why they're not just putting in the Morrow Tour.

:laffo: forever.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Hav posted:

But I've played so many of them?

This is me as well.

You keep thinking "this will be the good one" because you want to have a cool space adventure but sadly this one is bad too.

Euro Truck Sim is the best space trading game.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gaugfjPgmo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004