Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

The blitzball has a really annoying quirk where the potion art has a shorter max range than your auto-attack range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
The only reason I never got stuck on plot skill checks was because I cheesed max affection for all plot blades. The plot only checks stuff like focus, ancient wisdom and other stuff they have. The rest is element mastery, which is nowhere near as bad.

Also Nim just went up from trust level S to trust level S1 for me, what the hell? What does that even do?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

By the way, about how long are the later chapters? Assuming that the player does quite a few side quests (but not to a total-completionist extent). I'm near the end of chapter 5, but I'm kind of assuming later chapters will be shorter than the earlier ones.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Since we're sort of on healer chat, does anyone know how exactly you trigger floren's "pick up a healing potion" affinity? He's been on Nia forever, and been stuck at 2/3 on the first level node for just about as long, with a 10 potion unlock shortly after. I do my best to make sure Nia is picking up the potions, especially when I know she has him out, but I think it's been multiple chapters without it getting that third tick.

I think I had another blade with that same trigger but I filled it rather quickly so I forget who it was or what I did.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Terper posted:

Enemies a billion levels stronger than you is a core part of the Xenoblade experience and gently caress you if you don't like it.

It was really exciting when everyone kept talking about how dangerous the wastes beyond the gate were in the northwest part of mor Adrain, and when you finally get there they really were like 3 times your level and instagibbed you if you so much as glanced at them

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

nerdz posted:

At a certain point in the game you just give up on potions for healing, they're bonus HP but not much else. First there's the absurdly strong healing plot blade (it has regular healing which almost fully regens your party HP with a short cooldown). If you need another blade to use in between blade switch cooldowns you can use the b-balls which have pretty good healing as well.
is this plot blade Nia blade form and if so how do you avoid falling asleep, do you use not-Rex at the PC to not have to manage the fuckin heals all the time but then you don't get to have fun with Pyra spam

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

DACK FAYDEN posted:

is this plot blade Nia blade form and if so how do you avoid falling asleep, do you use not-Rex at the PC to not have to manage the fuckin heals all the time but then you don't get to have fun with Pyra spam

The AI is pretty bad at healing and if you fully spec a healer blade for attack you do some serious damage (comparable to attack blades) a lot more consistently. Healer blades also have usually way faster attacks with less regen so it's a lot more active.

Also every other type of damage pales in comparison to chain attacks, so making sure everyone is alive while setting up as much orbs as you can makes fights a lot faster when your NPC healer isn't failing to not let people die and messing up your chain attack.

For example, I'm already farming the level 85 enemies in mor ardain at 71 with this setup

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This game is the weirdest mix of super fun and clearly-not-playtested-even-once.

After putting way too many hours into this game I've decided that the best label for it is "mashup of XBC1 and Chrono Cross with higher highs and slightly not as low lows".

On a different note: has the internet figured out yet how to get more overdrives and/or how to force shops to stock premium cylinders? Because goddamn do I regret using my overdrives and not buying 99 premiums when Argentum had them in stock once.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Leathal posted:

After putting way too many hours into this game I've decided that the best label for it is "mashup of XBC1 and Chrono Cross with higher highs and slightly not as low lows".

On a different note: has the internet figured out yet how to get more overdrives and/or how to force shops to stock premium cylinders? Because goddamn do I regret using my overdrives and not buying 99 premiums when Argentum had them in stock once.

Woah how do you get Argentum to have them in stock?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Rex has two locked blades right now--Pyra and another Attacker. I'm aware that he gets a plot-locked Healer blade later in the story--should I dump the Beastly Core on Nia or something? Or hold it for a later party member?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Reiterpallasch posted:

Rex has two locked blades right now--Pyra and another Attacker. I'm aware that he gets a plot-locked Healer blade later in the story--should I dump the Beastly Core on Nia or something? Or hold it for a later party member?

Use it on Rex unless you want Nia to have an attacker for whatever reason. The plot locked healer is so late in the game it isn't something you should be deciding anything around right now.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

nerdz posted:

The AI is pretty bad at healing
SIGH alright FINE you've convinced me with literally the first seven words of your post

I guess this does let me make room for the Zekeinator so I shouldn't be complaining

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ytlaya posted:

I generally eat up the sort of melodrama present in certain plot elements like the whole [...]

Mind spoiler taggin' that next part?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Reiterpallasch posted:

The other blade isn't locked fyi.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Isn't it? The game made me give Roc's crystal to Rex. Or are you talking about the later Healer? Regardless, it sounds like going for turbo-attacker Rex is the way to go.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

MechaX posted:

I distinctly remember some level 50 rear end in a top hat in the jungle that loved running around and wrecking poo poo at all times.

And the magic happens when Lin accidentally aggros everything in a mile radius.

Yeah, XCX absolutely had high level, or on level but huge, monsters who'd wreck your poo poo more often than xc2 does.

Then you get a skell and now a lot of big stuff that ignored you while on foot is aggressive towards your skell and will poo poo all over it.

gently caress SKELL INSURANCE as well.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Reiterpallasch posted:

Isn't it? The game made me give Roc's crystal to Rex. Or are you talking about the later Healer? Regardless, it sounds like going for turbo-attacker Rex is the way to go.

I think maybe by "locked" he thought you meant that you can't unequip it, or something.

Also, turns out there is in fact a way to farm overdrive protocalls. You just need to get a four crown blade to max affinity and then release it.

Video linked because it contains spoilers

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

socialsecurity posted:

Woah how do you get Argentum to have them in stock?

They appeared for me after sending another 90k home with Max and then doing a follow-up side quest that I would assume first appears when you actually go to Fonsett Village, Max said to speak to Corinne and she started the side-quest. I can only guess at the exact chapter it opens because I did this post-game.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ardryn posted:

They appeared for me after sending another 90k home with Max and then doing a follow-up side quest that I would assume first appears when you actually go to Fonsett Village, Max said to speak to Corinne and she started the side-quest. I can only guess at the exact chapter it opens because I did this post-game.
Huh, there's an actual reason to do this that isn't just Perun? That's cool, I have the cash even if Sheba will complain :v:

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

People keep saying XC2 is the most complex iteration but for the life of me I could never figure out what the gently caress was going on with half the gameplay mechanics in XCX

Cores, affinities etc. have been a massive cakewalk for me in comparison

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, I have no idea why they didn't somehow indicate which enemies are aggro. You can sometimes guess (stuff like obvious grazing plant-eaters generally don't aggro), but usually it's just luck. Fortunately, unless you're dealing with things way higher level, you can generally just keep running without any risk of getting killed (or often even hit).

Devs went on record saying they did it because they wanted players to pay attention to the enemies themselves more than just the icon over their head. I think the intended reaction would be, "Alright so wolves and stuff are scary, but the fantasy-giraffe is probably nice".

It's just annoying in practice, though.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Rainuwastaken posted:

Devs went on record saying they did it because they wanted players to pay attention to the enemies themselves more than just the icon over their head. I think the intended reaction would be, "Alright so wolves and stuff are scary, but the fantasy-giraffe is probably nice".

It's just annoying in practice, though.

And birds are complete assholes with infinite range attacks and a leash several times longer than every other enemy and an aggro range to match.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dirk the Average posted:

And birds are complete assholes with infinite range attacks and a leash several times longer than every other enemy and an aggro range to match.

This applies to all flying enemies in all Xenoblade games, not just birds.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

triple cuck posted:

That was also odd but I also have to wonder if they've had their memory reset, because presumably they died in the explosion and he re-bonded with them? They could also totally do a XC2-2 on new Elysium where some new evil comes along if they wanted. I kinda get why things went as they did, but Rex's obliviousness to Nia being in love with him sorta sucked because Nia owns and to me was clearly more of the secondary protagonist than Pyra/Mythra were; as the plot goes along it seems clearer that Mythra's really just a means to an end.

It also doesn't help that I found Rex had way more chemistry with Nia than Pyra. Mythra is a bit better about this, but still doesn't really match up.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

What is up with agate's quest. I've checked every prospecting spot and almost all of the level 1 spots just have "bugs" so now I'm only 2/4 of the way to prospecting 2. Are there multiple areas to unlock after The Land of Morythra?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The Moon Monster posted:

What is up with agate's quest. I've checked every prospecting spot and almost all of the level 1 spots just have "bugs" so now I'm only 2/4 of the way to prospecting 2. Are there multiple areas to unlock after The Land of Morythra?
Some random forum post said you'd have to get to chapter 8, so I was kind of assuming that place there had the last non-bug success spot. Hope that's the case?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Evil Fluffy posted:

This applies to all flying enemies in all Xenoblade games, not just birds.

It’s especially bad in this game though and it’s tougher without an aggro icon.

I’m all for getting my rear end kicked by random named or high level enemies in true Xenoblade style but the hyper range enemies have seems too high and discourages random exploration at times.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Deeds that reduce enemy aggro seem to help at least from what I can tell. Like obviously it won't help if they're looking right at you, but I was able to thread the needle down a pathway with some level 70 monsters while being mid 40's.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Louisgod posted:

It’s especially bad in this game though and it’s tougher without an aggro icon.

I’m all for getting my rear end kicked by random named or high level enemies in true Xenoblade style but the hyper range enemies have seems too high and discourages random exploration at times.

I was trying to take on a level 40 or so unique lizard dude in a little shack on Mor Ardain once and this level 80 flying fish rear end in a top hat kept aggroing me through the wall of the builing. I tried about 3 times to kill that lizard but each time it would get to half health then my tank would get one shot and surprise, surprise, it's fishy fucker clipping his little nose through the wall and ruining my day.

Flying enemies are my number one gripe with this game.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Another thing is closed spaces. You can easily see why there's not many buildings with enemies in the game. Enemies can aggro through walls like they weren't there.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
IGN started putting out sidequest guides which is good, because some of these require going through hidden paths from an entirely different point of the continent.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Some random forum post said you'd have to get to chapter 8, so I was kind of assuming that place there had the last non-bug success spot. Hope that's the case?

I'm on chapter 8 now. You unlock two more areas but they don't seem to have any mining spots. Maybe they do but the spots don't show up on the map or something...

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Do we have a good lv65+ grinding guide yet? I would totally accept something similar to XCX.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ghostinmyshell posted:

Do we have a good lv65+ grinding guide yet? I would totally accept something similar to XCX.

Just do sidequests and progress the story, it'll push you well into the 70's.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

ghostinmyshell posted:

Something similar to XCX would be "the level cap is 60"

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Do chain attacks cause huges amounts of aggro on Rex or something? Four times now I've been fighting a unique or a boss and done a big chain attack only for them to IMMEDIATELY target rex when it was over and pound him from full to dead in a single combo, ending the fight since I just used my party bar.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

There are eventually items that can give the tank instant major aggro which combined with aggro reduction auxes should fix most of the problem.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Some of the ost is really growing on me. I got some serious mechon vibes from the factory track and the torna fight theme is great.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I am 99% sure that (end of Chapter 6) Jin's battle theme after he transforms includes a tiny bit of the FF crystal theme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm like the only person that likes the ost more than 1.