Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I guess I need to read Lolita. I read a lot but have just never gotten around to that book. I don’t get the reference here at all. Isn’t it about some old guy that falls in love with and courts a young girl? How is that a good book to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Blind Rasputin posted:

I guess I need to read Lolita. I read a lot but have just never gotten around to that book. I don’t get the reference here at all. Isn’t it about some old guy that falls in love with and courts a young girl? How is that a good book to read.

It's dark and entertaining

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
The Wikipedia entry is longer than some animes, which is either a good or a bad sign.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Probably more germane to Mr. Robot than any sort of underage romance, Lolita is also generally held up as an iconic use of first person unreliable narration in literature, pretty much the entire book is narrated by Humbert Humbert, the dude trying to bang around with a thirteen year old. The whole thing is him addressing the reader and trying to explain why he does what he does, with a lot of slippage between how he perceived the world and how things probably really occurred.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm so glad Elliot had a backup plan to gently caress the Dark Army and I hope he does so repeatedly after all they've done.

Except he didn't. Trenton did. She had an email rigged to send to Elliot if anything ever happened to her. He formulated a new plan to take down the Dark Army after learning everything could be undone.

Elliot thought the plan was "all in". Now him and Mr. Robot are inadvertantly working together.

I can't tell if Darlene just snapped, or if that was a setup to burn Santiago. I also can't tell how crazy Angela is. I feel like the show is leaning too hard into the "crazy" which just feels like a rug about to be pulled out from under us. Totally think the time travel stuff it stupid and bad, but I love how Elliot straight up drops the word timeline as he leaves the red car.

Also this episode leads me to believe that my assumption that Elliot's father pushed him out of the window to save him is correct. I am more interested in that connection (Dark Army/Elliot's father) now too.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Weakest episode of the season. The plot didn't move forward. Darlene/Dom looked really forced.

Basically, this episode was the 2nd book of a trilogy.

Edit: I did love that Irving was working on his book though. That made me :3

Benson Cunningham fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 8, 2017

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Volmarias posted:

The Wikipedia entry is longer than some animes, which is either a good or a bad sign.

I mean it is the origin of the term lolicon, as in lolita complex. The m becomes a n for some reason.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Benson Cunningham posted:

The plot didn't move forward. Darlene/Dom looked really forced.
What do you mean by this? It was a ruse Darlene was pulling on Dom, so it was bound to be a little forced.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Blind Rasputin posted:

Lolita is a beautifully written novel about child molestation written from the perspective of the pedophile. It's disturbingly common for people to not realize he's an unreliable narrator and to agree that 12 year old girl was totally trying to seduce him.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

PhazonLink posted:

I mean it is the origin of the term lolicon, as in lolita complex. The m becomes a n for some reason.
Japanese has words that end in 'n', but not 'm'. The More You Know™

Gluten Freeman posted:

It was funny how relieved Dom was once she realised what Darlene was up to -- like, 'thank god, she was just conning me, I can go back to FBI mode, I don't have to deal with having a genuine connection with another human being.'
Considering Dom didn't seem like she was still drunk/hungover when she caught Darlene, and that she was able to silently roll out of bed and sneak up on her, I got the sense that Dom was aware of Darlene's game the whole time and the giggly drunkenness was an act. If Darlene's going to try and play Dom and drastically get all nicey-nice and forthcoming suddenly, might as well get laid out of the deal before catching her in the act since she's super lonely all the time and Darlene's no longer a source. Dom's a very smart FBI agent with her own evidence room, there's no way she fully dropped her guard and didn't see this coming. Especially since she had the presence of mind to lock up her ID and gun despite supposedly being shitfaced. Also I don't think Darlene's that good at seduction.

That's not to say the ideas about them planning afterward to take down Santiago can't also be true, but judging from the look on Dom's face when he stonewalled her in his office, it seemed like she might have just figured out Santiago was dirty.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

Considering Dom didn't seem like she was still drunk/hungover when she caught Darlene, and that she was able to silently roll out of bed and sneak up on her, I got the sense that Dom was aware of Darlene's game the whole time and the giggly drunkenness was an act. If Darlene's going to try and play Dom and drastically get all nicey-nice and forthcoming suddenly, might as well get laid out of the deal before catching her in the act since she's super lonely all the time and Darlene's no longer a source. Dom's a very smart FBI agent with her own evidence room, there's no way she fully dropped her guard and didn't see this coming. Especially since she had the presence of mind to lock up her ID and gun despite supposedly being shitfaced. Also I don't think Darlene's that good at seduction.

That's not to say the ideas about them planning afterward to take down Santiago can't also be true, but judging from the look on Dom's face when he stonewalled her in his office, it seemed like she might have just figured out Santiago was dirty.

Dom has/had a genuine crush on Darlene, it's been building for awhile, especially since their previous encounter at the bar, where Dom begins to open up, as Darlene is the only real human connection that she has that isn't a coworker. While Dom may be a very competent FBI agent, she is still at the end of the day, a lady whose only meaningful relationship in life is a consumer product that tells her the time of the day and plays music. It isn't that Darlene is extremely good at seduction, but more that after growing up with her brother, she is very good at recognise lonely people. Darlene is a very good hacker, and finding human flaws is her job, she charms Dom by making her extremely aware of her loneliness and social awkwardness, and giving Dom the idea that she is being open with her.

Despite the title, not everyone in the show is a robot without feelings.

Trust and communication has been the entire theme of the season. Nobody is honest or really talks to each other, and everything gets hosed up. Elliot and Mr Robot don't talk to each other and the result is 71 buildings blown up and thousands of dead. Angela doesn't tell the truth to Elliot and ends up complicit in a major terrorist attack and goes full on crazy. Elliot says to Angela that he has a plan but doesn't bother to really tell her the hows and whys, so Angela also doesn't really bother to tell Elliot how she plans to get into Sentinel, ending up in the process of breaking the trust of the only other person that has feelings for her.

Above being a show about hacking and global conspiracies, Mr Robot is a show about people and their difficulties in building real relationships. Dom shows genuine care for Darlene and is even overprotective of her, something that neither Santiago or her partner really get. She likes her and has clear feelings for her, she sleeps with Darlene because she stops overthinking it, because she wants it to be real, not because she figured Darlene's plan out. Dom like Elliot, or Angela, is just looking for somebody to love in this strange hosed up world, but as Darlene is also another weird and broken woman whose brother doesn't really trust to tell his grand plan, she fucks it up and makes things worse.

Don't think Dom and Darlene hatched a plan between getting caught and going to the FBI, in large part because I think the show would be worst if their reconciliation and re-bonding happened due to a moment done offscreen. Dom will figure out Santiago, and she will go back to Darlene, where they both slowly start to trust each other. Dom trusting Darlene will come when she finally stops trusting the FBI.

Regarding Lolita: People have mentioned the unreliable narrator, but the real connection to Mr. Robot, is that both works have the main character addressing the audience as their friend and confidant. Humphrey is convinced that by explaining himself and being friendly with the reader he will be not only absolved of his crimes but his actions vindicated, and that is the world and Lolita that are wrong, and he is right, and so will the reader see this to be true after being convinced of Humphreys innoncence. Meanwhile Elliot hopes that the audience will be his friend, his only real friend, someone to tell him and explain what the gently caress is going on, cause he no longer is able to cope with it.

Unfortunately for Elliot, his best friend is too busy thinking about time travel and other dimensions, and convinced that Elliot is actually a Swedish crazy man, on top of being his own sister, sister who also has her split personality in the form of their childhood friend. Sorry Elliot. :smith:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Feenix posted:

Someone above mentioned that Pryce took the deal b cause he was smitten with Angela. Do we all think that? While that is possible, I read that scene is “this is part of the plan, we need to go to Allsafe because <nefarious hidden reasons for 5/9>.

Me too. Given the way he was moonily gazing at her, yeah.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
We're certainly meant to presume Price saw something in Angela, either romantic or she reminds him of his dead daughter or something. Or she is his daughter because :lost:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Oh yeah, I am definitely not denying he was staring at her and taken with her in some way. I had just thought that AllSafe was part of "THE PLAN". But I was straightened out above. That wasn't a thing yet.

Man, I am following Mr. Robot twitter with Notifications due to the E-Coin swag, but I tell you, if the show really is not about anything "surreal" the twitter posts are written as a gigantic troll...

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

When Tyrell said his puppet line, I rolled my eyes so hard they got stuck and I went blind. My friend was right when he said this whole season would be Sam Esmail trying to say "gently caress Trump" subtly but it's not subtle at all and it got old fast.

Otherwise I liked this episode. Seeing Price back to calm, cool, and collected was a real treat.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The puppet thing was hilarious actually and really well read by Wellick’s actor.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

DaveKap posted:

When Tyrell said his puppet line, I rolled my eyes so hard they got stuck and I went blind. My friend was right when he said this whole season would be Sam Esmail trying to say "gently caress Trump" subtly but it's not subtle at all and it got old fast.

Otherwise I liked this episode. Seeing Price back to calm, cool, and collected was a real treat.

Trap sprung.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

“I passed that giant buffoon of an owner in the hallway” is still the best burn in the show.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

“I passed that giant buffoon of an owner in the hallway” is still the best burn in the show.

that avatar/post combo tho :thunk:

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
The TRUMP LOVER avatar is the new Stupid Newbie

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Doesn't mean anything for the show but I thought it was cute they had the voice actress for Sombra from Overwatch (hacker character) as the woman taking the test drive before Elliot showed up.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

Mameluke posted:

It's interesting to me that Angela's breakdown manifests itself as both filling her home with prepper crap like the Ecorp tubs her dad sells and Dom buys, and also intensively recreating her meeting with Whiterose to the point of blanking out generic family photos and buying the same kitschy posters.

What are the odds she'll kill Qwerty in an effort to reenact Whiterose's fish trick?

Oh man, I didn't think of that. I noticed that the water in the fishbowl was low, but I thought that might have been due to crazy-lady neglect.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

VodeAndreas posted:

Doesn't mean anything for the show but I thought it was cute they had the voice actress for Sombra from Overwatch (hacker character) as the woman taking the test drive before Elliot showed up.

Oh poo poo I didn't recognize her!

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Is there a BttF reference in every episode now?

"Are you in or out!?"

Surprisingly, he didn't call anyone a chicken.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Dangerous Person posted:

Oh I am aware, that's part of why it's funny to me.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Dangerous Person posted:

Oh hahaha. I never even notice my avatar because I’ve had them turned off all these years.

When did they change it and where did the baby go?

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I’m a few episodes behind but what is the time frame of this show? I swear they had some mock trump as president videos but it also seems like Obama is still president and Comey was mentioned by name as fbi director.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's 2015.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Bttf2 day took place like 3 episodes ago. just go look it up. its 2015, october something

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
There's been some Trump campaign rally stuff on TVs, which are indistinguishable from Trump the president rallies, so that might've gotten you mixed up.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
“Holy poo poo this episode ruled! The final three episodes of this season are gonna be off the loving chain!”

*discovers this season is only 10 episodes*

“....aw what :(

Still should prove to be a good finale, but with only one ep left there’s no way it’s gonna be satisfying enough.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

We had our finale when stage 2 happened. You've been watching a sneak peek of season 4...

Speaking of, this hasn't actually been renewed yet.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I know and I'm real worried about it :ohdear: I've been meaning to write an actual paper letter to USA pleading them to renew the best show they have!

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Judging from interviews with Esmail this season it still sounds like the network is happy with the show, enough to let them do an episode with no commercials. I'm not too worried about it getting renewed because they seem to understand the show's appeal and care more about acclaim and the demographic it attracts.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

VodeAndreas posted:

I didn't even realize that was her, that's really neat :unsmith:

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

The show was just awarded 3 Golden Globe nominations. That bodes well for a new season!

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently Christian Slater let slip in an interview that the show's going to start filming again in November 2018, which is dreadfully far off but makes some sense with regards to the leeway from USA that Sam's earned so far and the need to depict a semi-apocalyptic November/December in Manhattan.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Mameluke posted:

Apparently Christian Slater let slip in an interview that the show's going to start filming again in November 2018, which is dreadfully far off but makes some sense with regards to the leeway from USA that Sam's earned so far and the need to depict a semi-apocalyptic November/December in Manhattan.

Unless they've already filmed season 4 without telling anyone, this makes me very sad.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
The last I heard was Esmail wants to do "4 or 5" seasons and he has an ending in mind. Given the success of the show I don't see any problem with USA renewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Mameluke posted:

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. But why wait so long to *start* filming? Is the cast doing something for the next 11 months?

• Locked thread