Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Tired of showering with the filthy space poors? Set foot on an Aurora and need to scrub that stench of poverty off you ASAP? Buy our new CIG-brand body lotion and relax in the soothing bliss of scented bubbles of immersion. NPCs will fawn and beg to be taught the inevitable consequences of poor hygiene when you roll into Olisar smelling of these babies.

Available in $5, $10, and $500 sachets. In boxes of 30. Warbonds only, some brands may come with LTI.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
"NPCs still have business to discuss and deal with, but they may not be as willing to let you into their home or office to chat if they know you smell like a dead Yak. They may simply choose to conduct any future business with you via MobiGlas, and you won't be invited to the Mixer."

Yes definitely happening. Big patch next year, it's going to be great. This is high octane dreams.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
http://dereksmart.com/forums/reply/6078/
I think this is worth posting:

Derek Smart posted:

RIGHT. SO NOW WHAT?

CIG/F42, if you are reading this, as I’m sure that most of you are, as someone who has a lot of experience with this, and who has made a decent living out of complex and ambitious games, spanning over thirty years, my recommendation for 4.0 (3.0.x is hosed anyway, and there’s no saving that branch):

Forget about making this into an MMO. It’s just not going to happen. You all know this.

I know that you have a headless server. I also know that the code that runs on that server is already in the client in some form or another. Merge that back into the client. It’s easier to go from server -> client than from client -> server in such a merge. The latter is bad. Don’t do it because everything will break.

After the above, create a module running on it’s own thread. All it should do is handle network traffic like a server. It’s basically the code you salvaged from the deprecated headless server. You now have a client and server within the same executable. You could, if you wanted to, split that into it’s own executable and spawn it on-demand if you want. More on this later.

The backend database that handles the client sign-ons, cash shop etc can remain as-is. However, you should plan to be able to disable all of this because this project is going to crash; and when it does, you won’t want to leave backers with an unplayable game. NOTE: Please start using packet encryption for all such traffic. Not going to say more than that; but don’t be surprised to see hacks down the road with players having all kinds of poo poo they never paid for, nor should have in the first place. Whoever wrote this, did a sloppy job btw. Also, you could adopt something like PlayFab, or even move to SteamWorks. Like Amazon with Lumberyard, let a third-party handle all that crap because they will be around longer than this project will.

The current matchmaking is sub-par. Get rid of it and implement Lumberyard matchmaking via GameLift. In fact, as luck would have it, Bruce Brown recently wrote a dev article about it. The goal is for Star Citizen Spergs to be able to invite, meet, and play with their friends in expensive chariots, all in the same session, without having to play guessing games. Yes, there’s a party system but like everything else in Star Citizen, it’s half-assed, restrictive, and needs work.
Then, focus on fine tuning the 16 player experience in this new environment. It’s better to have a LOT of 16 player game sessions in which everyone is having fun, than to have none at all – which is precisely where this project is headed. As you are probably aware, 3.0 is as stable as 2.6.3; and the later is only stable because nobody is playing it.

Having done all of the above, you can go back and release a headless console server to backers, allowing them to setup their own dedicated servers either on their own, or via third-party services like G-Portal, Ping Perfect etc. Note that this satisfies the private servers promise which, as you know, you’re never going to fulfill if you’re making an MMO. This also cuts down drastically on AWS costs which I know has to be killing you guys.
With all of the above as the 4.0.x branch, assuming you survive (you won’t) the 6-8 months it will take to implement, go back and draw up a list of everything Chris promised (use ours). Then pick out the ones that at doable within the new non-MMO framework and present it to backers. Scrap everything else. Yes, backers are going to be mad as hell, but it’s better to deliver something, than to deliver nothing.

Furthermore, Chris’s upcoming plan to start pushing SQ42 as the way to bring in new money, aside from the fact that there is no game there either, is going to fail. It’s a non-starter, and it’s not going to bring in enough money to fund a project that’s burning over $3 million a month. So it’s better to spend the next few months building a stable 3.0.x branch so that backers will have something to play and own when the final lights go out.

Yes, my guess is that some of you may have already considered some or all of the above, but was met with resistance because without Chris and Erin selling MMO, the money train will come to an end. But here’s the thing, I have to believe that there are some of you who are “leads” and “execs” who have some humanity and decency left in you, and which should guide you into seeing this whole thing for what it is now: a complete scam that you’re ALL a part of. The road to redemption and forgiveness, always starts with coming clean and admitting that you’ve done the wrong thing. Yes, it’s shameful, it’s distressing, and it’s career breaking, – but you ALL are going to suffer all of those anyway, so why not do the right thing sooner, rather than later?

You’re all so hosed, that I don’t even know how else to express it. And you have Chris Roberts, Erin Roberts, Tony Zurovek, and Sean Tracy to thank for that. When you have an entire company with four studios around the world, and there is nobody to stand up to the creators, you don’t have a leader, you have a dictator. At some point, it has to stop being about a pay check. I know that work in the industry is hard to find, especially in the UK, but at some point, you have to do what is right and just because there is no excuse for complicity.

Star Citizen is yet another example of why games – regardless of cost – get canceled. If this game were at any developer or publisher, it would have been canceled by now because it will cost more to fix it because the alternative is that you’re in the territory of diminishing returns.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Thread recap. Bulletpoints on what CIG should do to salvage what they have. CIG's hosed and I called it. Parp.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Every once and a while I read a reddit post and think like, maybe that wouldn't be a bad idea if you built around it. Like loading time for cargo might be interesting if you used that time to haggle, or had other tasks to oversee, like bargaining for fuel or looking for a good mechanic. You know just stuff that you could do more efficiently, if you wanted. Like a real game to play! Or you could just go afk, which is a key part of every mmorpg experience.

Then Reddit is like "I dream of a game where NPCs dislike that I am a stinky piss-baby" and I remember who these people actually are and what they're getting.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Spiderdrake posted:

a stinky piss-baby

I think I just found my Star Citizen handle for when I buy in in 5 years.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

A couple days ago there was a tweet from a citizen about their new PC they were putting together for SC, including an Intel optane drive, obviously. Someone said the the guy was streaming building it and did poo poo like not use standoffs when putting the motherboard in the case, and not putting any thermal paste on the cpu before attaching the cooler.

Did anything come of that? Did the smoke get out?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Derek with the surprisingly helpful post.

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

Only 4000 posts this week?

Thank you for the bugs, gentlemen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHqPpnl3QU8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni3GbTvKSOY&t=571s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK5vGophM_s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F7P2GY4cRk&t=52s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F7P2GY4cRk&t=657s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iX_s-npPG0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBRIlG5DmTc&t=23s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voZiAOXdPuQ&t=7s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtW12RjtStM

Preen Dog fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 12, 2017

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Kramjacks posted:

A couple days ago there was a tweet from a citizen about their new PC they were putting together for SC, including an Intel optane drive, obviously. Someone said the the guy was streaming building it and did poo poo like not use standoffs when putting the motherboard in the case, and not putting any thermal paste on the cpu before attaching the cooler.

Did anything come of that? Did the smoke get out?

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/208362817?t=04h23m36s
Seems to have not exploded on the launchpad, color me surprised.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

you almost tricked me into reading that SJ

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/940366062956060672

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/FSDEwhat/status/940349314769084416

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

The entire history of the internet has led up to this, the moment when I see an actual Geos reference.

Got your back, friend! :hfive:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Ghostlight posted:

lmao that this thin skinned fruitcake is reading this thread enough to understand beltdowns.

He’s a lurker, and I hope he comes out. :)

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

would that thread titles could be images

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

"Failure is not an option" sounds like a threat

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

They Archered the Rams logo. lol

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017

Cao Ni Ma posted:

"Failure is not an option" sounds like a threat

Star Citizen: Failure is not an option, it's a fact

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Community-made merchandise is better quality than the official CIG stuff :smh:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

That wasn't a gift, that was a threat.

Failure is not an option.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Let me copy and paste a properly formatted version.

RIGHT. SO NOW WHAT?

CIG/F42, if you are reading this, as I’m sure that most of you are, as someone who has a lot of experience with this, and who has made a decent living out of complex and ambitious games, spanning over thirty years, my recommendation for 4.0 (3.0.x is hosed anyway, and there’s no saving that branch):

1) Forget about making this into an MMO. It’s just not going to happen. You all know this.

2) I know that you have a headless server. I also know that the code that runs on that server is already in the client in some form or another. Merge that back into the client. It’s easier to go from server -> client than from client -> server in such a merge. The latter is bad. Don’t do it because everything will break.

3) After the above, create a module running on it’s own thread. All it should do is handle network traffic like a server. It’s basically the code you salvaged from the deprecated headless server. You now have a client and server within the same executable. You could, if you wanted to, split that into it’s own executable and spawn it on-demand if you want. More on this later.

4) The backend database that handles the client sign-ons, cash shop etc can remain as-is. However, you should plan to be able to disable all of this because this project is going to crash; and when it does, you won’t want to leave backers with an unplayable game. NOTE: Please start using packet encryption for all such traffic. Not going to say more than that; but don’t be surprised to see hacks down the road with players having all kinds of poo poo they never paid for, nor should have in the first place. Whoever wrote this, did a sloppy job btw. Also, you could adopt something like PlayFab, or even move to SteamWorks. Like Amazon with Lumberyard, let a third-party handle all that crap because they will be around longer than this project will.

5) The current matchmaking is sub-par. Get rid of it and implement Lumberyard matchmaking via GameLift. In fact, as luck would have it, Bruce Brown recently wrote a dev article about it. The goal is for Star Citizen Spergs to be able to invite, meet, and play with their friends in expensive chariots, all in the same session, without having to play guessing games. Yes, there’s a party system but like everything else in Star Citizen, it’s half-assed, restrictive, and needs work.

6) Then, focus on fine tuning the 16 player experience in this new environment. It’s better to have a LOT of 16 player game sessions in which everyone is having fun, than to have none at all – which is precisely where this project is headed. As you are probably aware, 3.0 is as stable as 2.6.3; and the later is only stable because nobody is playing it.

7) Having done all of the above, you can go back and release a headless console server to backers, allowing them to setup their own dedicated servers either on their own, or via third-party services like G-Portal, Ping Perfect etc. Note that this satisfies the private servers promise which, as you know, you’re never going to fulfill if you’re making an MMO. This also cuts down drastically on AWS costs which I know has to be killing you guys.

8) With all of the above as the 4.0.x branch, assuming you survive (you won’t) the 6-8 months it will take to implement, go back and draw up a list of everything Chris promised (use ours). Then pick out the ones that at doable within the new non-MMO framework and present it to backers. Scrap everything else. Yes, backers are going to be mad as hell, but it’s better to deliver something, than to deliver nothing.

Furthermore, Chris’s upcoming plan to start pushing SQ42 as the way to bring in new money, aside from the fact that there is no game there either, is going to fail. It’s a non-starter, and it’s not going to bring in enough money to fund a project that’s burning over $3 million a month. So it’s better to spend the next few months building a stable 3.0.x branch so that backers will have something to play and own when the final lights go out.

Yes, my guess is that some of you may have already considered some or all of the above, but was met with resistance because without Chris and Erin selling MMO, the money train will come to an end. But here’s the thing, I have to believe that there are some of you who are “leads” and “execs” who have some humanity and decency left in you, and which should guide you into seeing this whole thing for what it is now: a complete scam that you’re ALL a part of. The road to redemption and forgiveness, always starts with coming clean and admitting that you’ve done the wrong thing. Yes, it’s shameful, it’s distressing, and it’s career breaking, – but you ALL are going to suffer all of those anyway, so why not do the right thing sooner, rather than later?

You’re all so hosed, that I don’t even know how else to express it. And you have Chris Roberts, Erin Roberts, Tony Zurovek, and Sean Tracy to thank for that. When you have an entire company with four studios around the world, and there is nobody to stand up to the creators, you don’t have a leader, you have a dictator. At some point, it has to stop being about a pay check. I know that work in the industry is hard to find, especially in the UK, but at some point, you have to do what is right and just because there is no excuse for complicity.

Star Citizen is yet another example of why games – regardless of cost – get canceled. If this game were at any developer or publisher, it would have been canceled by now because it will cost more to fix it because the alternative is that you’re in the territory of diminishing returns.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Haha totally beaten.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcZzlPGnKdU

Well, I thought it was quite apt actually :)

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Failure is not an option.
It's not an option, because that implies there's an alternative.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I didn't read it the second time but I promise you I'll read it the third time.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

D_Smart posted:

Let me copy and paste a properly formatted version.

RIGHT. SO NOW WHAT?

1) Forget about making this into an MMO. It’s just not going to happen. You all know this.

2) I know that you have a headless server. I also know that the code that runs on that server is already in the client in some form or another. Merge that back into the client. It’s easier to go from server -> client than from client -> server in such a merge. The latter is bad. Don’t do it because everything will break.

3) After the above, create a module running on it’s own thread. All it should do is handle network traffic like a server. It’s basically the code you salvaged from the deprecated headless server. You now have a client and server within the same executable. You could, if you wanted to, split that into it’s own executable and spawn it on-demand if you want. More on this later.

4) The backend database that handles the client sign-ons, cash shop etc can remain as-is. However, you should plan to be able to disable all of this because this project is going to crash; and when it does, you won’t want to leave backers with an unplayable game. NOTE: Please start using packet encryption for all such traffic. Not going to say more than that; but don’t be surprised to see hacks down the road with players having all kinds of poo poo they never paid for, nor should have in the first place. Whoever wrote this, did a sloppy job btw. Also, you could adopt something like PlayFab, or even move to SteamWorks. Like Amazon with Lumberyard, let a third-party handle all that crap because they will be around longer than this project will.

5) The current matchmaking is sub-par. Get rid of it and implement Lumberyard matchmaking via GameLift. In fact, as luck would have it, Bruce Brown recently wrote a dev article about it. The goal is for Star Citizen Spergs to be able to invite, meet, and play with their friends in expensive chariots, all in the same session, without having to play guessing games. Yes, there’s a party system but like everything else in Star Citizen, it’s half-assed, restrictive, and needs work.

6) Then, focus on fine tuning the 16 player experience in this new environment. It’s better to have a LOT of 16 player game sessions in which everyone is having fun, than to have none at all – which is precisely where this project is headed. As you are probably aware, 3.0 is as stable as 2.6.3; and the later is only stable because nobody is playing it.

7) Having done all of the above, you can go back and release a headless console server to backers, allowing them to setup their own dedicated servers either on their own, or via third-party services like G-Portal, Ping Perfect etc. Note that this satisfies the private servers promise which, as you know, you’re never going to fulfill if you’re making an MMO. This also cuts down drastically on AWS costs which I know has to be killing you guys.

8) With all of the above as the 4.0.x branch, assuming you survive (you won’t) the 6-8 months it will take to implement, go back and draw up a list of everything Chris promised (use ours). Then pick out the ones that at doable within the new non-MMO framework and present it to backers. Scrap everything else. Yes, backers are going to be mad as hell, but it’s better to deliver something, than to deliver nothing.

:five:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Hav posted:

Then one glorious, golden shining day there will be something and there will be walling and gnashing of teeth as the unbeliever will smote their breast and rent asunder their T-shirts of the Lord and Saviour God Emperor. As it shall ever be, forever and amen.

...or something that that _effect_.

They see me rolling, riding dirty.

:pisstape:

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Sarsapariller posted:

Derek with the surprisingly helpful post.

Here's something else everyone missed in their thread recaps:

Last year in one of these blog posts Derek said that a decision had been taken by CIG that had essentially sealed its fate. In this latest one we find out what that was: the decision was taken to not pursue a custom engine and instead move to Lumberyard. It was known last year, at least in private, that the 'engine question' was being looked at seriously and an engine change was in fact on the table as an option. The reason that everyone thought sticking with Cry/Lumberyard was a Very Bad Idea can be summarised thusly; the networking loving sucks and will never ever cope with being an MMO.

Like, everyone knows this. I don't have a loving clue about game engines so I have to defer to people who work with this stuff and they all say the exact same thing - don't try and make an MMO with CryEngine are you loving insane.

Why the gently caress is this important

Because all those guys sat down around a table with Erin and Chris on the old Skype and told them that the only way this was going to be an MMO was to scrap the engine and build one from scratch (other engine options were discussed). The decision to stick with Cry/LY was taken against the advice of their engineers and that led directly to 3.0 being what it is now.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

I don't know

They've even set up a licensing company to collect the royalties on the IP from public performance, you can see the whole thing in plain sight

Normally a publisher collects those for 50%, so they've licensed everything to themselves

This is why they've been scrambling for artists and lighting techs and modellers

I get the feeling that you actually know something about video game development. Continue good sir.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

SomethingJones posted:

Last year in one of these blog posts Derek said that a decision had been taken by CIG that had essentially sealed its fate. In this latest one we find out what that was: the decision was taken to not pursue a custom engine and instead move to Lumberyard. It was known last year, at least in private, that the 'engine question' was being looked at seriously and an engine change was in fact on the table as an option. The reason that everyone thought sticking with Cry/Lumberyard was a Very Bad Idea can be summarised thusly; the networking loving sucks and will never ever cope with being an MMO.

Like, everyone knows this. I don't have a loving clue about game engines so I have to defer to people who work with this stuff and they all say the exact same thing - don't try and make an MMO with CryEngine are you loving insane.

Because all those guys sat down around a table with Erin and Chris on the old Skype and told them that the only way this was going to be an MMO was to scrap the engine and build one from scratch (other engine options were discussed). The decision to stick with Cry/LY was taken against the advice of their engineers and that led directly to 3.0 being what it is now.

Yes but planets.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
I'm really hoping for any kind of Star Citizen trailer to play before The Last Jedi. I want to be the guy in the dead silent theater that says "The gently caress was that?", but not in a shout, more like a confused speaking tone. And then a Citizen abruptly stands up and looks around for who dared to question the greatness of his lord and savior Christ Roberts.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Scruffpuff posted:

Yes but planets.

Is the story behind the planets in the public domain? The dude who figured out how to do it and was told "don't loving tell Chris whatever you do"

Guess what he did

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dusty Lens posted:

When I spawn my ship I want its delivery to be delayed because the crane operator just found out that he's going to be the father. I want to drive him to the hospital and watch another player deliver that child during an intricate minigame.

I want the NPC to name the child after me.

I don't want to die alone.

You’ve just ignited the fetishes of about 1/5 of the Star Citizen community. Now they’re going to back even harder.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

If CIG paid cash money to advertise SC at the Star Wars movie it would be a nice cap on the head of "We'll save money by never marketing".

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/BigfryTV/status/940249688321671168
https://twitter.com/_Kaeto_/status/940257961624113152
https://twitter.com/iq_derek/status/940321371036487680
https://twitter.com/iq_derek/status/940323054839791616
https://twitter.com/iq_derek/status/940326484413050880
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/940334150309109760
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/940335143876792320
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/940336032515584000

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 12, 2017

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Should have gotten him a coke mirror instead of a flask imo

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sarsapariller posted:

If you want to maximize your in-game profits you auto-load because filling up 600+ crates by hand will eat more time than 60 regular cargo runs. I think deep down Citizens know this, they're just so enamored of the shiny tech toy that they have to find some way to cram it into the dream.

In the same way piracy is actually completely economically unfeasible and basically only exists for trolling because why risk your ship and life to steal 2 crates when you could just get a hauler and run 600 in the same amount of time? Elite has the same issue and the devs have been completely unable to solve it, leading to piracy being a backwater niche for pvpers and an endless source of people who feel grief on the forums.

Couple of pages back, but surely it's pretty easy to make piracy economically feasible? You have factions who will pay you to gently caress up cargo runs being done for their rivals. Seizing the actual cargo becomes a bonus rather than the main objective. Or am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

SomethingJones posted:

April 2016: That was the primary reason that I wrote that blog, and called that decision the E.L.E.

December 2016: We find out they did in fact go with Lumberyard - and keeping the same lovely networking (the PRIMARY component in an MMO game) - because they didn't want to spend 12-18 months building a custom engine. They never disclosed this to backers.

December 2017: They have spent a whole loving year on a lovely engine for 3.0, when they could have been building a custom engine.

Note:, like we were doing with LoD, they could have branched it to a new engine and went from there. Instead, they branched it to Lumberyard, then didn't poo poo with it. They retained all the lovely parts that made up Star Engine.

And now the chicken have come home to roost.

NOTE: We spent almost two loving years building this. That was just 4 of us btw.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 12, 2017