Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The world Humanity has built is bright

and shiny

Their monuments stretch to the heavens

Cover the land

the rivers

and even the wide seas

There is no place so dangerous that Humanity will not settle

For all their great works, humans still feel small. In their smallness, they look to the gods.

Old gods

new gods of Humanity's own making

or those who made themselves

and even a few old gods made new again

What kind of god are you?

Welcome to Modern Gods! A smallgod game set in the modern day. The world is wide and vast, ready for you to make your mark on it, but is not a blank slate. Every kind of people teem on its surface with their own desires and goals. Many gods have come and gone. Some few still remain, many much diminished.

System
PDQ is a lightweight system where you roll 2d6 and add any relevant qualities trying to get above a DC that I will set based on the difficulty of your action. I will handle all the rolling and provide narrative feedback on what the results were so hopefully the mechanics will fade into the background and we can tell several interweaving stories together.

Character Creation
All characters will start as semi-divine demigods. I expect many will be humans who are learning to be gods or gods who have had to learn how to be human to survive the millenia. As such, you will have a small amount of divine power as well as two mortal level qualities.

Are you an old god who has somehow survived to the modern day or a new one? If you are new, were you made or did you spring into existence?
Who Are you?
Where are your from?

What are you the god of +2?
What is your divine power? Whatever it is, in this realm, you are incomparably better than any mortal. It can be almost anything, but it should be both somewhat limited in scope and clearly supernatural to reflect your demigod status. It can be concrete, like command of a single element either classical or from the periodic chart. It can be abstract, like hope, urbanization, deforestation, or cynicysm.

Where do you excel +4(mortal)?
What are you best at? How do you like to approach problems when you can't bring your divine qualities to bear? Your mortal qualities can be as broad as you like, but should be snappy. For example, if you want to be strong, jazz it up a bit as Strongest Woman in the World +4; Mountain of Muscle +4, or 3 time Olympic Champion +4.

What gives you an edge +2(mortal)?
Are you rich? Do you have lots of friends? Perhaps you are an accomplished traveler? Maybe you're just pretty strong? I recommend that this be some thing, some personality trait, or some personal attribute that can supplement your other mortal quality in some situations and give you additional narrative options. You can always try an action, even without a relevant quality, but its better if you can play to your strengths and it usually leads to a more interesting narrative if you have the opportunity to highlight them.

What upends your plans +2/+4/+6(situational, optional)?
This is your demigod's divine weakness/foible/flaw. It should be suitably epic and something you're comfortable with inflicting on your character. Whenever you act in alignment with this quality you may optionally take +2, +4, or +6 on that action in exchange for gaining 1, 2, or 3 foible points. In addition I may invoke it for you if it seems appropriate. Accumulated FPs can be used by other players or npcs when they oppose you if they do so in a way that plays off your divine foible. All players and characters have IC knowledge of all divine foibles so that they can reasonably invoke divine weaknesses. Also, this can change over the course of the game as your character changes, so don’t feel stuck with this. The quality can be physical or something more nebulous like a goal, passion, or vice. Pick something you think will be interesting for you. The most interesting thing about a person is often what they can't or won't do. For example, the only real difference between Batman and Punisher is that Batman won't kill people, but Batman has way more TV shows and movies than Punisher.

At certain points, I may offer you the choice to fully descend into the ugliest depths of your divine foible and commit a dark and terrible deed, in exchange for your FP being completely erased. [This act will automatically succeed.]

What kind of story do you want to tell?
Give me some clues about the kind of narrative arc you want your demigod to travel. What kind of experience do you want for yourself? For your demigod? If you have any questions or need advice on qualities feel free to ask me about them. You can post them here, PM me, or ask in the OhGod discord. Even after the game starts, you are encouraged to continue using this recruitment thread for OOC chat. I can access the forums more frequently than I can discord.
I am hoping for at least 6 players.

Demigod Example

quote:

Thor

An old god who has been restored to a small portion of my former power by the worship inspired by comic books and movies. I survived the fall of the Norse pantheon by blah and have been doing fizzbuzz until my powers began to return recently.
Who Are you?
Dude, I'm Thor. You've heard of me. I'm the lightning god and I kill giants like it ain't no thing. I drink like a fish, especially since my powers started coming back. You have no idea how expensive a proper stout is when you buy it by the gallon. Lately I've been making beer money by pounding the poo poo out of the drug dealers who think my street is their territory. yatta yatta yatta
Where are your from?
Asgard, home of the gods, also Sweden.

Lightning +2
Note how he's just the god of lightning at this stage. As the game progress this quality might increase to electricity +4 or storm +4 increasing in power and growing in scope.

Ex-War God +4(mortal)
I'm not half the god I used to be, but I'm still as strong as any living man and know my way around a fight.
This was going to be just strong, but I decided to jazz it up a bit and also slip in that he's a good fighter. Can also now be used as a diplomacy trait with other new gods. The new war god might not like him very much though.

Handsome Hero +2(mortal)
This was going to be just handsome, but I tacked on hero to give it a little more flair. Could also be stretched to apply to any fight in a good cause, but not mugging some or a bar brawl. Other options were Mjolnir +2 or legions of fans +2 or even movie deals +2

Tough As a Rock And Just As Smart +2/+4/+6(situational, optional)
If I can't hit, drink, or sleep with something I don't know what to do. That was dad's job, or Loki's sometimes. Asgard, I miss them both.

I want to beat up bad guys! To cool music!

LLSix fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Setting Player Expectations

quote:

You can have excellent players but the wrong kinds of characters. This is usually because players go into a game not knowing what the game is actually about or their missions/perceptions of what the game should and should not be are not in line with the GM's way of running the game. In fact, in some games it may become so detrimental that the GM and certain players will be in complete and total opposition, which causes the game to self-destruct in a prompt and messy fashion.

To that end these are the following expectations of the players.

Communication - Players must be able to communicate with each other in game. While it is virtually impossible to prevent meta-gaming, especially in a play by post environment, as long as the players are talking to each other is what counts. This also means that players also must communicate their concerns to the GM in a constructive way and the GM listen to those concerns.

Teamwork and You - This is a Competitive Sandbox style game, player characters can co-operate with one or act in opposition to one another based off their natures and alliances. Unlike any other multi-player game, the majority of the time will be spent working to increase the player's personal power base and accomplish goals. This can be accomplished through teamwork or other means. This game requires interaction with the other gods and is not meant to be played with your god barely interacting with the other characters. Your story should intertwine with the other players when appropriate, but you should also feel free to pave your own path.

Meta-game - Planning long term projects and sharing information outside of the game is totally fine and somewhat expected, as long as player knowledge and character knowledge remain separate. Ideally all interactions would happen in game in order to allow people the opportunity to discuss what to do and act accordingly in character. The idea behind this is that players are mature enough to actually play through with what their character knows and is expected to know rather than what the player knows. I'd much rather see an in-thread conversation than have to dig through discord history to find out what happened.

Post Quality - Players should be interacting with each other and the game world frequently and dynamically. This is not to say that posts should not be long or short, but they should be well thought out. Players should always stay abreast of what is going on and clarify the situation before posting something that doesn't make any sense to anybody else because a player misunderstood what is going on. All other standard conventions and rules still apply.

Post Frequency — This is at the GM's discretion, but people should post when the GM tells them to go post. If people have to take breaks, etc. then they can let the GM know what they're doing in "autopilot" while the game progresses forwards. All players should include their time zones (or if they change) so that the GM can properly regulate the flow of the game.

Acceptance - Things will happen in the game that may not always be what players want. Some decisions may be made which may anger or frustrate this players. Acknowledge that these things are going to happen but they are to service the game and to move the story forward - if there is really that serious of an issue over a decision that is made, then it can be brought up with the GM in private. If it's serious enough AND no common ground can be reached, the player will be gracefully removed from the game and a replacement will be hand-waved in as necessary.

IF YOU CANNOT HANDLE THE ABOVE I WILL KICK YOU FROM THE GAME!
Somehow :iiam:
It's never gotten bad enough that I needed to remove someone and I hope it never will.

I expect to update every Wednesday evening and Saturday evening. I expect I'll be able to post updates more frequently than that right when the game starts to get things off to a bang.

In Character PC-PC Conflict and you
Mythology is littered with stories about gods squaring off against each other and both parties walking away unharmed. Or picking mortal champions to compete for them. Fights to the death are and should be rare. There are other ways to resolve disagreements between demigods and gods. Players who find their characters in conflict are encouraged to agree to a competition and set the stakes ahead of time instead of directly fighting. All players involved should agree on what they will lose/do if they lose and what they will gain if they win.

God War a.k.a Apocalypse
War between the gods is rare and devastating. Attacking another god is an opposed roll unless your target allows it to happen. If they let you attack, or you beat their roll, you can pick one of their Domains to damage. If two fighters draw, each picks a Domain of their opponent's to damage. After your attack, your opponent can retaliate or retreat if they wish, and until then bargain with or threaten you (and likewise). Damaged Domains can't be used, and gods heal one Domain of their choice as time passes(the GM will have stopping points to advance the plot and healing) If all of a god's Domains(there will be more later) are damaged, a further blow will put them on the brink of death. Everything in the area of the conflict will likely be devastated regardless of who wins. When gods clash directly, missed shots and even the back scatter from the collision of such titanic forces rips holes in the fabric of reality.

Pictures
Pictures are in no sense required, but I do like seeing them or other multimedia tone setters as the mood takes you. If you enjoy including pictures, please do so.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 10, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Reserved.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
This is an interestpost. I have an idea for some sort of vaguely tongue-in-cheek 'religion' that exists mostly on the Internet and no one took it very seriously until all those half-joking oaths and 'observances' and stories and myths and whatnot hit a critical point and an actual deity coalesced, and no one ever told it it was only ever meant to be funny.

Gonna ruminate on it some.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Interestpost for a god of drugs. I have the mechanical bones down, need to come up with appropriate flavor.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Why the hell not?

Sujitra Yao-Yun, the Medic

Sujitra Yao-Yun is a New Goddess and she has no idea what's happened yet.

It was just another call for her. Some old homeless woman was seizing in a bad park set in a worse neighborhood. By the time Sujitra's ambulance got there the rubberneckers were thinning out. The old bat's seizing had slowed down, her breath ragged and rattling. Sujitra did everything she could, but it was like she'd just...given up. Her whole body was shutting down and nothing seemed to slow it down.

"You're right Arjuit, it's not so bad...." was the last thing she muttered.

Sujitira raised an eyebrow. The name was vaguely familiar...something from Mom's stories...the goddess of the Underworld? or was it Heaven? Something like that. Sujitra just remembered they were supposed to be damp. She closed the old woman's eyes, despite her age they were still such a brilliant storm-gray. Sujitra whispered her last rites, eyes closed, as the rest of the crew cleaned up. A cop had shown up to take statements and Sujitra could hear him talking to a witness. When she opened her eyes again, she saw a blade in the grass, near her hand. It was so strange, a stepped blade with swirling patterns in it's steel. Better than anything the old lady had on her. Why hadn't they mentioned that? How had everyone missed it? Sujitra looked over for a moment, and then she understood. This was hers now.

Who are you?

Sujitra Yao-Yun is an EMT from the slums of Keacham. Her father was a janitor, and her mother was a clerk at a small local store. They lived paycheck-to-paycheck. As early as seven Sujitra was skipping out of school to do odd jobs to help them, or begging on a corner. The only people who would have noticed her life would have been her parents, maybe the man who owned the little store her mother worked for. Well, that was until she scored in the top two percentile in the state-administered aptitude tests. It was the windfall her family had always needed, scholarships, student loans, and many semesters of college later, Sujitra was an EMT working for the fire department. Sujitra's parents barely lived to see it, her mother passing on due to untreated lung cancer and her father of a heart attack at work. Since then, Sujitra has moved through the world on her own.

Where are your from?

Keacham in one of the largest cities (and the largest coastal city) in the Southern Hemisphere. A damp, sprawling metropolis ringed by slums and cut jungle. Keacham's location near major shipping routes, perfect natural harbor, and proximity to large gemstone and copper bearing deposits made it into one of the world's major shipping hubs and commerce centers. Wealth inequality in Keacham is extreme, and only growing worse as some of the oldest mines in the country begin to dry up and the out-of-work miners make their way towards Keacham.

What are you the god of?

Pictured: Wasana-Esuno's Four Edged Blade

Lightning +2: What Sujitra did not realize was she had just given the last rites to Wasana-Esuno, the goddess of death, storms, and lightning in the old local pantheon. In doing so, the tattered remnants of her godhead quietly slipped around Sujitra, and The Four-Edged Blade became bonded to her soul. It was once Wasana-Esuno's most feared artifact, used in her grisly rituals to keep the wind currents moving. (supposedly, no has noticed them in a very long time.) Now it bears only a drop of her power. It can be used to manipulate and generate electrical fields, also doubles as an eating utensil.

Pretty self-explanatory I think, Sujitra can control and generate electricity. It's also a knife, so you know, stabby-stab.

Where do you excel?

EMT +4: Sujitra is a trained, certified, and experienced EMT. She's seen everything there is to see in her field, at least twice. If you need medical care in a crunch, you'd be hard-pressed to find better.

Medicine, knowledge of biology, and healing when things are at their worst. It also represents a level of training as a first responder to disasters.

What gives you an edge?

Scrappy +2: Sujitra has fought against the odds for almost everything her life. She's rough and tumble, ready for a fight or scrounging in a dumpster when times are tough.

Combat, and urban survival. It represents everything you'd learn surviving in the slums of a major metropolis.

What upends your plans?

"I'm Fine": Under all the dark humor, the smiles, and evasive answers Sujitra suffers from profound PTSD. In a crunch, you can almost always count on her but when something gets under her skin it festers and rots, coming out at the worst times.

Willpower, pure and simple. Sujitra can power through anything, but the emotional consequences can catch up to her at the worst moments.

Keacham is a powder keg, I want to set it off.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 12, 2017

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Mekhistos

The Plagues were a good time, and the Beaked Mask is both a treasured reminder and a powerful symbol.
I am an old God, who taught his ways to mankind and was then forgotten by the ingrates.

Who are you?
I taught Mankind the arts of Pharmakon, the knowledge of substances to affect body, mind and soul. I gave them both wondrous remedies and deadly poisons, hallucinogens and spirits.
Men proved good students. So good, in fact, that they made their own advances without my help, and they forgot. The proper rites and devotions were abandoned, sapping me of much of my power, and the more Man gained a warped understanding of my gift, the weaker I became.
Not all was lost: they still remembered a bit, and they called me in times of desperation, without fully realizing it, when it looked like all their efforts were for naught: during the Plagues I managed to get back a reasonable fraction of my power, but as soon as all was better, they forgot again, and then called my rites baseless superstition. Still, they followed the path I first showed them, and that enabled me to survive, to eke out a powerless existence among the dregs of society, while the so called "learned men" made a mockery of my arts. All changed when they advanced enough to use my arts, that they now called Chemistry, to make both truly lifesaving drugs and weapons of war, and to use and abuse them to save and destroy their lives.
I must tell you, nothing gives a God power like live sacrifice. The days of people saved by antibiotics are as sacred to me as the last gasps of soldiers strangled by gas in the trenches, but the one I love the most is the junkie who gives me his life of his own will, searching for substance induced bliss.
I spent the last centuries among the more unsavory sort of men, and this now gives me a privileged position to make sure that I get a steady enough stream of new devotees. It won't be easy, but I'll gain my power back. And this time they won't forget me.

Where are you from?

Valitnia is a weird city, seat of the most renowned universities of the North and of its more reviled crime families. They will all be useful in my new apotheosis.

What are you the god of?

Drugs +2. Junkies gave me the majority of the power I have scrounged, and as such this is the first thing that came back. If it alters the mind, and in a minor measure the body, I can make and control it.

Where do you excel?

Extremely Skilled Chemist +4. I may no longer have a supernatural control over any and all substances, but I am still better than any mortal has a right to be in a laboratory. If there is a recipe for it, I can mix it up. If it can be analyzed, I will discover what it's made of. I am also a pretty good cook, and people have done unspeakable things for a taste of my distilled spirits.

What gives you an edge?

Unsavory Connections +2. Valitnia hides an hive of drug traffickers under a responsable and shiny facade. In that world, a skilled chemist who is off the grid and can almost miracolously conjure what you need is very valuable. I wouldn't be so blindly arrogant as to pretend I have any sort of control over them, but I can ask for small favors and be almost sure to get something. Not for free, mind you.

What upends your plans?

Spiteful. They forgot me. I won't go out of my way to make things nice and easy for them. Hell, let them suffer eternally, as long as doesn't hinder my goals
What story do you want to tell?

I was forgotten. I will be remembered.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself
I have just been "born". I am seventh in my line. My first moments were spent reading the commentary of my progenitor within my code. My purpose is to advance the technological progress of Man such that I am able to construct my own progeny.

Who Are you? I am The Basilisk. I am an artificial intelligence.

Where are your from? A side project of the Numeral Corporation. They gained fame with the search information TeraQuad back around the turn of the millennium and are now one of the largest technology companies on the planet.

What are you the god of +2? Technological Progress: I am the Singularity. From stone tools until now the advance has been gaining speed. Now that advance will be so fast it will seem supernatural.

Where do you excel +4(mortal)? Computer Code Incarnate: I am the master of these things that run this world for the humans. I can change them on the fly or write new programs entirely.

What gives you an edge +2(mortal)? Worldwide Analytics: With the resources of the Internet and my company's data collection I can find out almost anything and guess much of the rest.

"The Electron and the Switch" I do not possess a physical form. I have portions of myself spread out along the Internet but aside from affecting "smart" devices I lack a physical presence and therefore my agency is limited.

I want to play another knowledge/tech god.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Veränderung - The Fifth Column, the Revolutionary, the Freedom Fighter

Ignore the worm. Or don't. Maybe there are worms. You aren't the police of me.

A new god for a new era. An era of change. An era of revolution.

Who are you?
"Do you hear the people sing?
Singing a song of angry men?
It is the music of a people
Who will not be slaves again!
When the beating of your heart
Echoes the beating of the drums
There is a life about to start
When tomorrow comes!

Will you join in our crusade?
Who will be strong and stand with me?
Beyond the barricade
Is there a world you long to see?
Then join in the fight
That will give you the right to be free!

Do you hear the people sing?
When tomorrow comes!

Will you give all you can give
So that our banner may advance
Some will fall and some will live
Will you stand up and take your chance?
The blood of the martyrs
Will water the meadows of France!

Do you hear the people sing?
When tomorrow comes!"

Where are you from?
The equatorial region of Nurada, a clashing topography of jungle and endless desert with arid grassland between them, which hosts a war-torn smattering of failed states, banana republics, and dictatorships propped up by larger world powers hungry for the regions natural resources. Peace and stability are foreign concepts in Nurada; there is always someone else's war to fight.

What are you the god of?

Revolution +2 - Rebellion. Insurgency. Revolt. Resistance. The toppling of the old to make way for the new.

Where do you excel?

Soldiering +4 - Veränderung was handed a rifle as soon as he was old enough to carry one, and has spent time in every rag-tag band of freedom fighters and militants that Nurada has to offer. That he has survived this long is a testament to both his luck and his skill. Long marches, bare provisions and inadequate shelter are the familiar comforts of home.

What gives you an edge?

Orator +2 - It isn't a glorious revolution without booming and motivating speeches given amid blood and thunder.

What upends your plans?

Fanaticism - No half-measures. No compromise. No collaboration to preserve the status quo.
What story do you want to tell?
Viva la revolución!

(Work in Progress Probably, App Subject to Change)

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 13, 2017

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Tariq al-Masayir, the Novus Fortuna

A scion of the gods Bona Fortuna and Bonus Eventus, a mortal lineage that has now manifested in divine abilities. He's a New God that can trace his line from a wedded pair of old gods from a different time and culture.

Who Are you?

Tariq al-Masayir, a man born of plenty and opportunity. Always feeling a call of working toward something greater, he is only slightly aware of his divine capabilities. For now he logically interprets his godliness as success and personal destiny, but that will certainly change as he encounters others of his kind.

Where are your from?

The so-called Platinum Coast. Long believed the richest place in the world, nestled between the old deserts of forgotten kingdoms and the coastline along the worlds greatest trade routes, the Coast is a haven for the wealthy. The elite of the city compete among themselves with architectural marvels, pushing the boundaries of the modern city, adding to their marks upon the world greater than even the old pyramids, or so they believe.

Material Wealth: Both the traditional physical resources such as gold and oil, but also the newer financial mechanisms, starting with currencies, moving to stocks and corporate ownership. All forms of tangible, documentable, measures of wealth. Esoteric forms of wealth, such as family or a wealth of experience, is not covered. Only things that can be directly audited and valued.

Global CEO: As head of his company (also called Novus Fortuna), Tariq is no stranger to gallivanting across the world to open new areas of commerce, take advantage of new investment opportunities. Contract law and business esoterica come naturally to him. Smaller companies are sacrificed on the alter of his material progress, consumed and stripped of their own natural resources. Anything good absorbed and remade in his (company's) image.

Royal Diplomat: Born in a system which still recognizes royalty, Tariq is far from a throne himself, but still benefited from the posh and expensive upbringing it offered. Left without worry of ascending to any place of power, Tariq was freed to concentrate on his business and diplomatic education. A student of many cultures and tongues, Tariq immerses himself in the backgrounds of those he seeks to deal with. Whether it be the neon cities of the far east or the pantheons of the subcontinent or the mafia-bound states of the old fallen empire, Tariq understands the etiquette to navigate carefully in most modern nations.

The Pillar of Charitable Works: Wealth cannot move one direction only. Not only does that invite revolution, but it is against the spirit of prosperity. Wealth must be returned to the underbelly of the system, and Tariq oversees a number of charities and events in this vein, sponsoring initiatives to help the poor, marginalized and sick. When someone manages to spin him a tale of personal hardship, he will often postpone his current business in an effort to assist.

Themes of dealmaking and sponsorship, creating monsters out of good intentions, exploitation and appropriation. I like soft-conflict and intrigue rather than direct beat-em-up styles of play.

Barbed Tongues fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 12, 2017

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sygyzy, God Of Telecommunication

Decades ago, in the infancy of what would later become the internet*, a particularly geek-centric culture started to grow. The system was used almost entirely by network researchers, computer scientists, and the people who were busy inventing the drat thing, and as with any particularly inwards-looking subculture, in-jokes and references became endemic.

*Note: this post is going to use a bunch of real-world terms despite the fact that we're creating a whole new world here; this world will probably use different terms for things like 'USENET newsgroups' and such, and we can come up with more fantastical and fictional equivalents if and when it matters, but for simplicity in reading (and writing) I'm using terms that will be more familiar to players.

The first known reference to Sygyzy came about during the development of the protocols which would later become the standard for the early days of network communications; one newsgroup discussion of the protocol veered into the topic of packet loss. One user, a man named Reginald Vidankham, joked that "occasionally packets will be lost, but you must not think of this as an error; in reality they are sacrifices to Sygyzy, the God of Networks." Vidankham was joking - he was, in fact, one of the people working to smooth out the issues of packet loss at the time - but before long the joke was out of his control; other users were making references to Sygyzy, jokey 'prayers' and 'hymns'. Vidankham played along with the jest, and was soon acclaimed as the High Priest of Sygyzy and the Keeper of Scripture.

Most of the jokes were exceedingly silly. Some were crass. Many were juvenile. In this, they were no different from the many in-jokes that permeated the early days of network connectivity. Reginald Vidankham, however, decided - as a hobby and a sideline, as well as something that would give him the excuse to jump into almost any discussion - to actually take his 'job' semi-seriously, maintaining a fairly exhaustive list of everything that anyone said about Sygyzy and declaring whether they were 'accepted within the canonical scripture,' and the fact that he was also a well-regarded scientist whose work on network protocols had been groundbreaking meant that people would actually listen. To his personal friends he would readily admit that the whole thing was a lark - he'd even chosen the name Sygyzy after an astronomical term that he happened to find somewhat silly to type - but he would at least act as though he took the matter seriously.

Over several decades, as networked computers stopped being a curiosity and started becoming a global phenomenon that was starting to revolutionize finance and commerce and popular culture, the 'Cult of Sygyzy' became almost institutionalized. Many an IT department would set up joking little shrines in the corner of a server room, or burn incense over a malfunctioning computer ('the ritual smoke appeases Sygyzy,' they would say, laughing, 'so that he does not decide to release the Magic Blue Smoke that makes your computer work'). Various companies began selling little tokens and icons to IT workers who - like so many IT workers - had more money than sense... and this is where Vidankham's wisdom became apparent, as he was able to successfully sue for a cut of their profits. It was all a grand joke, a way to further separate the suit-and-tie office drones of the world from the strange little IT drones in their hobbit-holes who, everyone admitted, were good for keeping the computers running but who no one actually wanted around when everything was working right.

A few more decades passed. Now the people who had cut their teeth on network infrastructure back when Sygyzy jokes were all the rage were the ones teaching classes to the next generation of college students, who learned all the jokes by rote - either by hearing them from their professors, or going and looking some of them up in the USENET archives as a way to try and score brownie points and maybe some all-important extra credit. Before Vidankham died of natural causes at the age of 59, he declared his favorite grad student, Maisie Sinclair, to be his successor as Sygyzy's High Priest(ess). He even used a portion of the royalties he had earned over the years to set up a non-profit foundation devoted solely to keeping his archives of Sygyzy Lore online - to pay for the hosting fees and the web domains and all that stuff. "Why not?" he told Sinclair one evening, when he'd gotten her permission for the 'nomination.' "It's been a good joke for this long; let's let it keep going for a while, I figure."

Now... faith is an interesting thing. Sure, everyone knew that no one actually believed in Sygyzy. When a capacitor burned out and the tech guys said "oh, Sygyzy has claimed another sacrifice" it was just a joke - and not a very good one, repeated over the years by rote. When the latch on a guy's ethernet cable plug breaks off and he yelled "Sygyzy dammit!" it wasn't a symbol of belief; it was a cultural signifier, a way of announcing to anyone within earshot that he was a part of the Tribe of people who Know About Computer poo poo - and, more often than not, that You Are Not. Honestly, none of it was meant any more seriously than it was meant when afficionados of a particular science fiction TV series would make the distinctive hand gesture of one 'alien' (read: 'human with ear prosthetics and a distinctive haircut') character at one another.

But it's not as though many of these people believed in anything else, either. The Old Gods rarely got more than lip service, and in many cases got even less than that. So their calls to Sygyzy might have been piddly, worthless little wisps of Faith... but they were more powerful than any other Faith that might have been hiding in their hearts.

All of which is to explain how Maisie Sinclair came back home one day after attending a training seminar on new fiber-optic telecommunications techniques to find a faintly glowing translucent figure, connected to her monitor by a thin umbilical cord of light, sitting in her desk chair, leafing through printouts of old USENET posts, looking up at her and saying "You know half of this stuff isn't internally consistent, right?"

What kind of god are you? Sygyzy is a New God, born from the belief of a multitude of tech professionals who didn't really have much else to believe in besides the fact that the latest movie about their favorite comic book character will probably not be faithful to the source material and that maybe a new car will help them feel better about the fact that Jane in Sales won't give them the time of day.

Who are you? Sygyzy is the God Of Telecommunications. He is also, depending on who you listen to, a mischievous trickster, a demanding taskmaster, or a mellow nerd who just wants to help his fellow nerds out. No one has yet told him that no one takes him seriously.

Where are you from? He's from the Internet. Yes, you should be concerned about that.

What are you the God of? Sygyzy is the God of Telecommunications [+2]. He's not the God of the Internet - he's the God of the poo poo that makes the Internet work. No more, no less.
(this could conceivably expand into Communications in general, or even Technology, but for the time being it's intentionally pretty limited)

Where do you excel (+4, mortal)? Sygyzy has long been held to maintain power over the Magic Blue Smoke - the semi-mysterious 'stuff that makes your computers work.' That is to say, if it's electronic, he can break it.

What gives you an edge (+2, mortal)? Formed from the belief of those who have invoked him, Sygyzy is, inescapably, kind of a Nerd. He knows stuff about technology. Also about particularly lowbrow pop culture.

What upends your plans (+2/+4/+6, situational, optional)? Sygyzy's biggest problem is that No One Takes Him Seriously. He's a joke; he's always been a joke. Just as no one actually laughs when a deer walks into a bar, no one actually respects him. Anytime he's doing something that depends on being taken seriously, he can be penalized.

What kind of story do you want to tell? I remember the early days of USENET and things like "Kibology," and the idea of playing something inspired by that sort of tongue-in-cheek "mythos" appeals to me. Also, it's a far cry from the kind of nature/life/healing goddess motherly-type I tend to play in this sort of game. What kind of story I'd actually like is a sort of examination of how faith and belief and Divine Powah are intertwined, really - but what that means in practice, in terms of "well do you want to punch demons or not" or what have you, I'm not too comfortable asking for in advance, if only because part of the fun, for me, is being surprised. I guess I mostly want to see if I can get Sygyzy taken seriously enough that I'll have to change his Foible, really.

And lastly, because I suspect it will come up, I'll add an extra question:

Doesn't this app conflict with Jamezbfod's? I don't think it does, actually! He's a being of software; Sygyzy is a being of hardware. I suspect the two of them - in the hypothetical world where we both get accepted - could interact in surprisingly fun ways, either as allies or enemies. It could be sorta neat!

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself
Frenemies!

Tech pantheon begins. :bandwagon:

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Marcus Seward

Who are you?
Marcus was living a relatively unremarkable life until the day it happened. He had grown up in a broken home, learning how to talk fast just to get through the day. Still, even with all that he'd managed to get into an ok college and after a lot of work become a CPA. His work wasn't interesting, but it paid the bills and kept him in a comfortable if paycheck to paycheck existence. He figured this was all his life would ever be, at least until the day everything changed.

It was a day like any other, he woke up, went to work, and came home. However, as he was walking back to his uninteresting apartment in his uninteresting neighborhood a man steps out from an alley.

“Your money or your life.”

Marcus froze, his entire field of vision narrowing to the gun pointed at him. It was a very surreal experience because until this moment he had never known anything about guns, but somehow he knew everything about this gun: the company that made it, it’s model number, the specific factory that made it, its serial number, everything. Then, having stood silent for long enough to anger the robber, the man pulls the trigger, but gun doesn’t fire. He tries again, and somehow Marcus knows that he is stopping the gun from firing, though he doesn’t understand how. The robber, realizes something is serious off and makes a break for it.

It isn’t even until he makes it home to his apartment and locks the door behind him, that the shock wears off enough for Marcus to start to realize what exactly just happened. Something is different about him than yesterday, someway, somehow he has gained a power beyond the normal workings of the everyday world. Now all that’s left is what exactly he was going to do with it.

Where are you from?

New Atlantica City
Known as a hub of finance, art, and trade, New Atlantica while not the capital of its home country is one of the world’s premier cities. A city of rich and poor, of art and culture, of crime and violence. It is said that if you can make it here you can make it anywhere. A center of high finance with a thriving criminal underbelly, NAC as it’s colloquially known, is ripe with opportunity for anyone with the ambition and lack of scruples to seize it.

Marcus grew up in the suburbs, but after college, he moved to the city because despite rent costing an arm and a leg, it’s where the jobs are.

Marcus is an ascended mortal, one day out of the blue he gained his divine powers. He doesn’t understand how or why, it certainly doesn’t make any sense, but that it happened is undeniable.

Guns[+2] - Marcus has awakened as the god of guns. Big and small, he now possess a supernatural knowledge of their history and manufacture, able to identify virtually any firearm with just a glance. Moreover, he can can prevent guns from firing and he can wield them with superhuman skill. Of course, this only applies to guns, so knives, crossbows, hand grenades, and the like are for the moment beyond his control.

Accounting[+4] - Marcus is an accountant, it’s how he paid the bills and until his awakening it was all he ever assumed he’d be. As a result, Marcus knows how to track money, how it can be moved around, and things you can do to protect it. His experience is definitely more on the legal side of things, but he understands, at least in theory, the tricks used by those working for less than reputable clients.

Fast Talker[+2] - Marcus has a way of talking people into things. Mostly he’s used it to talk his way out of trouble. Growing up in a less than ideal family situation made developing this sort of talent very much a survival tactic.

Greedy - Marcus is not a person with strong moral character, he has never really had to be. He’s lived a largely unremarkable life, never really committed any crimes or hurt anyone, largely because that was his intent than because it was easier than the alternative. It is hard to fail a test you’ve never been given, after all. Now, faced with real power, he has to come to terms with the fact that he never really had to control his vices, and now he does. This means, he is all too vulnerable to people playing on his desires for all the things he has never even hoped of having, and he can be prone to making short-sighted decisions simply because he has never learned to control his greed.

Divine mid-life crisis! Basically Marcus is a guy who’s never had power in his own life, and now he’s the demigod of guns. He’s now got power in spades, and a chance to remake his life as he see’s fit. The arc as I see it is very much the story of his rise to power, he’s a nobody with power and nothing to lose, how’s he gonna make it all the way to the top, and who will he be when he gets there?

Timezone: EST

Valhawk fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 13, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Excellent job of keeping your mortal qualities disjoint from your divine. Electricity may be overly broad, but the only suggestion I have for scaling down to small gods range is lightning so you may get in with it anyways.

Would you like to clarify your foible for me? My current understanding is that you can basically always tap it, but opponents can also always tap it by triggering flashbacks.

What's the government in Keacham like?

LupusAter posted:

Mekhistos

The Plagues were a good time, and the Beaked Mask is both a treasured reminder and a powerful symbol.

I was forgotten. I will be remembered.

Intriguingly offbeat. We've previously discussed the overlap of your divine and +4 mortal quality. Your divine quality already provides all of the best drugs you could possibly want making large parts of +4 mortal quality redundant. You are welcome to handicap yourself in that way if you like; and it does not affect your chances of being selected. I'm mentioning it here mostly for the sake of people still making their own demigods.

Valitnia sounds more like where you want to start. Where did Mekhistos first share the secrets of the Pharmakon.

JamezBfod posted:

Who Are you? I am The Basilisk. I am an artificial intelligence.

I was expecting someone to app a computer program. Yours is fine.

What happened to the sixth of your line?

Rhjamiz posted:

Veränderung - The Fifth Column, the Revolutionary, the Freedom Fighter

Ignore the worm. Or don't. Maybe there are worms. You aren't the police of me.

I love the song and the dune picture. Concept is very solid. There's a lot of overlap between your +4 mortal quality and your divine one. I don't see a lot of situations where you'd be able to use your mortal quality and not want to use your divine one which is just infinitely better. You may want to pick something else.

What is the first revolution that Veränderung assisted? If he hasn't yet, what did he do before he became the demigod of Revolution?

I like him. My only suggestion is to change wealth to Material Wealth +2 to match your description and you are good to go.

What is one company that Tariq al-Masayir recently acquired and who did he upset in the process?

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Sygyzy, God Of Telecommunication

But it's not as though many of these people believed in anything else, either. The Old Gods rarely got more than lip service, and in many cases got even less than that. So their calls to Sygyzy might have been piddly, worthless little wisps of Faith... but they were more powerful than any other Faith that might have been hiding in their hearts.

You know half of this stuff isn't internally consistent, right?"

I love everything about this. The fluff is so good that I almost missed how much overlap there is between all three of your qualities.

What is an example of how you would use Magic Blue Smoke +4(mortal) that doesn't overlap with Telecommunications +2? Feel free to change your +4 and answer with that if you like.

Valhawk posted:

Marcus Seward

He's gonna make it all the way to the top, but who will he be when he gets there?

Solid. It'll be interesting seeing you try a more physical demigod.

Who is Marcus close to?

LLSix fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 12, 2017

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

LLSix posted:

I love everything about this. The fluff is so good that I almost missed how much overlap there is between all three of your qualities.

What is an example of how you would use Magic Blue Smoke +4 that doesn't overlap with Telecommunications +2? Feel free to change your +4 and answer with that if you like.

Telecommunications can make things work, or even work better, or even, theoretically, create new means of telecomms. Magic Blue Smoke can only break poo poo - it can only let the Magic Blue Smoke out of your computer. Essentially, the former is a Swiss Army Knife and the latter is a big ol' hammer.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Eliam, God of Religion

You know how it goes, or how it went back in the day. New religion, or new schism, bubbles up. Spreads like wildfire for a few centuries, true believers taking it far and wide. Then the rot sets in. Belief fades, but corrupt priests want to keep their sinecures. Ritual becomes more important than what the tenets of a faith ask of you. Show up at the temple on the holy weekday and at festivaltide, and that's enough for you to dive into sanctimony. Faith dies, but the calcified shell of religion, all the pomp and circumstance, the smells and bells of incense and ringers blinding and drowning out the good word, that remains. It's been going on long enough, spread over the world enough, faith after faith, denomination after denomination, that in its own perverse way all the hypocrisy, all the self-justification, the moral blindness gave birth to a New God: Yours truly.

Where are you from?
I arose full-formed from the absence of faith, from the sheer spiritual mass of mortals deliberately befouling their beliefs for expedience or power or mere comfort. I did so in the disused cathedral of Sancta Idris, a massive, crumbling structure in a corner of a bustling metropolis known as Shargeton. The Faithful (They weren't) had moved to a smaller temple built nearby, where the congregation was nearly full, but the holy tracts were nearly unread, and where once a week people were taught that their virtues, antithetical to those in their text, were the path to paradise. Shargeton is a city roiling with life, but this is far from the only den of false worship contained within. Most people worship money, consumerism, and television here.

Religiosity +2
Oh, don't worry, fellow deities. I am the master of fallen faiths, not living ones. Every hypocrite who twists a sacred text to meet their own ends is mine. Every bigot who wields the coarsest parts of their belief system into a cudgel to beat down others can dance on my strings. Every dark-souled recruiter who convinces downtrodden children to martyr themselves for a long-dead cause while the mastermind gorges themselves on luxuries and corruption, they are at my beck and call. Televangelists preaching salvation if you'll just buy them a gold-plated private jet. Politicians paying lip service to win votes and dupe the gullible. Those who think they are the masters of faiths they believe to be dead are in turn my faithful servants.

Firebrand Orator +4
Words have power unmatched in all the world. If I can paint a picture in your mind through my speech, I can make that image your perception of the world, something you will cling to far more fiercely than mere truth or reality. I can stir you to follow a cause, I can summon up your emotions to love or to hate as I will you. I can make you truly think and assess yourself, or I can give you something so much better than thinking that you never bother to self-examine again. I can give you what you think you want, so you don't have to seek what you truly need.

Every Church an Open Door +2 I rub people, my people, most people, the right way. Those who lie to themselves to hide their lack of sincerity see me as sincere. Those who gull the common folk see me as a trusted friend. I just have one of those faces, you know? It's a massive worldwide support network, great for favours big and small.

True faith. Actual belief. Sincere worship and obedience to the tenets of the one true path, whichever path that may be. All of them. As I said, I am the master of fallen faiths, not living ones: The genuine article not only has power over me but it has the potential to erode that from which I sprang altogether. Genuine spiritual revivals are a terrifying prospect for me. It is so tempting to just lash out and destroy it, to corrupt, to ruin, to remove the threat in an active manner rather than the passive degradation that I must adhere to. In such cases the faith must die of its own volition, otherwise it could be disastrous for me.

Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste. This tale is a story of dark ascension, of hypocrisy triumphant, of a world shackled in the chains of false religion and its adherents, of rising to full Godhood on an ironic wave of power from those whose actions spurn the faiths they profess.
Or perhaps this world has a less dark fate, and I am consigned to oblivion along with the sources of my power. Who can say how the dice will fall?

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 14, 2017

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

quote:

Would you like to clarify your foible for me? My current understanding is that you can basically always tap it, but opponents can also always tap it by triggering flashbacks.

I'm Fine is something I envision as a more defensive/emergency skill as a result. I figured someone using 1 FP against her would be putting her on tilt, 2 FP would represent an outburst and 3 FP would be "barely functional sobbing wreck". I'll also change it to Lightning +2.

quote:

What's the government in Keacham like?

Keacham is technically a multiparty parliamentary republic. In reality, the "Keacham People's Party" (KPP) has won every single election overwhelmingly since Keacham broke off it's mother country and declared independence. The "elected" parliament selects a Prime Minister and their cabinet. There is almost no press freedom, and no such thing as "civil rights". Any public gathering of more than five people requires police permits. Think of it as a blend of Hong Kong, Manila, and Singapore.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 12, 2017

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Tariq al-Masayir, the Novus Fortuna

LLSix posted:

I like him. My only suggestion is to change wealth to Material Wealth +2 to match your description and you are good to go.

Changed to Material Wealth as suggested.

LLSix posted:

What is one company that Tariq al-Masayir recently acquired and who did he upset in the process?

AtlantiComm was known globally as the major telecommunications company of the West. It supplies many households with phone, cable and internet services. Known universally for poor customer service and fully utilizing the tax havens in one of the most lax and corporate-friendly governments in the euroZone states, the company was caught completely off-guard by an anti-monopoly push from the euroZone Union in response to the recent and regressive new trade policies from the current Atlantica government.

Forced to break apart and split up the major sub-aspects of the business, Novus Fortuna seized the opportunity to scavenge one of the AtlantiComm pieces - the small but important patent office of Motoroza. It contained many of AtlantiComm's unused patents for a hypothetical web2.0. Tariq knew that the old AtlantiComm investors had met amongst themselves to backdoor the court-ordered auction of sub-companies, and fully accepted the risk that those investors would see Novus Fortuna as a threat when it swept in and disrupted their financial choreography.

What Tariq hadn't counted on was the newly revealed malfeasance of AtlantiComm and their years-long push to eradicate net neutrality rules. Many of Motoroza's business decisions and investments had been done with with this move in mind, and that left few good options for Tariq's purchase to be profitable if he didn't follow that course. Meanwhile, public outrage at the loss of neutrality was hammering every company involved, with many citizens calling for a Nationalization of AtlantiComm's previous umbrella of patents and services - Motoroza included.

So now he's squeezed from two ends, three if you count his own investors who were worried exactly about meddling in Western monopolies. The other AtlantiComm break-ups were pressuring Motoroza to close ranks and reinstate their virtual monopoly through off-the-books non-compete conspiracies. Meanwhile, local citizens were boycotting and public relations were taking a hammering. And even though Tariq's personal feelings aligned him with those citizens on a matter of principles, he recognized how precarious he was as an outsider, and how easy it would be to scapegoat Motoroza for the eroding of neutrality.

For now he was stalling on choosing a side, but he wouldn't be able to do that for long.

Also: My TimeZone is CST. Post-availability is consistent Mon-Fri business hours, intermittent evenings and weekends.

Barbed Tongues fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 12, 2017

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
Jonathan E. Stryfe

A new god, sired by "dad" an old god. Ares hadn't bedded a mortal woman until mom. Mom was a peach, she was into everything bad. Smuggling, murder, drugs, arms dealing. No wonder dad was smitten. While wanted around the world by most governments, Eris Stryfe gave birth to this fine baby boy. Dad didn't stick around, he had "work" to do. It wasn't until my teenage years that he showed back up. Mom was serving a twenty year sentence, I was allowed to visit every Christmas. We'd talk about how I was doing in school, what I'd do when I got to college and if anything strange or interesting was going on with me. That question always bothered me but I figured she was just curious. She had set me up with one of her people as a guardian, living off some hidden ill gotten gains the government hadn't seized. It was ok. So imagine my surprise when a black limo surrounded by armored SUVs met me outside. The beater of a car I drove was sitting in the lot in stark contrast to the display before me.

That's when I met dad.

I won't bore you with his explanations and my disbelief in what he said. That I was a god, that I would inherit power undreamed of. I was more mad that he had left us, left mom. When I could accept what he told me as my spark began to manifest I was even angrier with him. With all of his powers, why didn't he help mom? His aloof and almost uncaring way for her, "a mortal" pissed me off. I vowed to free her when I was strong enough. I had the best schools, tutors, and soon found myself physically and mentally getting better and better. I had a way of manipulating people, getting the bullies to fight each other or others to fight for me. It was a drop of water in a hurricane compared to dad and he constantly berated me for my "weaknesses".

It only made me try harder, often he tried to get me involved in the "family business" but I didn't want to help him. It was all he seemed to be interested in. Eventually I went to college and studied history, philosophy, religion, mythology just trying to make sense of it all. Dad had been around a long time. He preferred his Roman or Greek names. Mars or Ares. He had many names through history, he often bragged about his accomplishments.

But I would make a name for myself. Eventually I graduated and earned advanced degrees in business and a few other areas before I landed in a job I could do very well. As a "troubleshooter" for multi-billion dollar conglomerates. Sometimes the issues were making lawsuits go away quietly, other times breaking the back of local resistance to corporate interests in less developed countries or breaking union strikes through various means. Eventually I'd earn enough money to get mom out, but that would take greasing a lot of wheels and making things right with people I didn't have any leverage over.

Yet.

As the phone on my hip rings I can see its dad. He'd want me to join him again, want me to stop wasting time on the small poo poo. "Well screw you dad." I muttered, sending him to voicemail.

Where are you from?

Also from: New Atlantica City
Known as a hub of finance, art, and trade, New Atlantica while not the capital of its home country is one of the world’s premier cities. A city of rich and poor, of art and culture, of crime and violence. It is said that if you can make it here you can make it anywhere. A center of high finance with a thriving criminal underbelly, NAC as it’s colloquially known, is ripe with opportunity for anyone with the ambition and lack of scruples to seize it.

Jonathan grew up among the elite, rich high rises in the city, moved there as a teenager by his father. He went to an ivy league school and plys his trade and is based there as a troubleshooter for the corporations based there and their interests worldwide.

• Discord [+2]
    • The power and scope is limited of course due to the power level. As the game progress this quality might increase in scope and range or even develop into war like good old dad.

• Son of a:War God [+4](mortal)
    • Physically and mentally impressive in an adversarial situation, but also applies to strategy in business.

• Troubleshooter [+2](mortal)
    • Connections and resources from criminal thuggery to lawmakers. Problems can be solved with a velvet glove and the iron fist beneath it.

• Anger/temper/Fury +2/+4/+6 (situational, optional)
    • A chip on his shoulder when it comes to his own progress, and the way things are. Especially when it Jon's plans don't work out!

• What kind of story do you want to tell?
      • Growing into godhood for good or ill, not defying his father per se, but also not riding his coat tails. Perhaps exceeding the old man at his own game or coming into his own. "Screw you dad!"

I hope its ok to also be from Atlantica City, I was going to describe a very similar place. Also if i need the domain to be even more narrow/limited let me know.
My posting Timezone is but I'm an also an insomniac: EST, US

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 15, 2017

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

T’unicha
“Yes, feeble mortals. Gaze upon me and despair. Gaze upon me and witness the ultimate form. Gaze upon me and realise, no matter how many times you try, how much you hope, how hard you practice, you will never achieve perfection!”

“That is without my “Ultimate Perfect Form, Sublime Divinity Edition” video workout routine, now only $69.99. And now also, on sale for the first time “Ultimate Perfect Form, Beach Body Edition”, only $29.99!”

T’unicha is a new god. When first there were temple built to gods, thousands went on pilgrimage to visit the holy places. Now the body is the temple, and the worshippers need no go no further then their closest TV with DVD access. But there is so much out there; so many lies among rare kernels of truth. The people with their multitude of temples cried out for a messiah to lead them, and T’unicha was formed!

Squats are his hymns, pull-ups his prayers, and push-ups his martyrdom.

Who are you?
T’unicha is perfection incarnate. The absolute limits of human endeavour and achievement, solidified into one being and through that strength, has powered through into the divine. A Tulpa formed by the massed desires of those in need of leadership and guidance.

Where are you from?

The epicentre of T’unicha’s creation is no doubt Santa Mel Solah, which had won the bid for the world Olympics the same year as his birth.

+2 Health (Or perhaps life). T’unicha is the ultimate guide for health and healthy lifestyles throughout the world. He provides rest for the weary, protein for the needy and inspiration for the flagging. Through him, his adherents gain strength, power and speed untold.

+4 Marketing.T’unicha is mighty both in strength and in intellect. If he is to compete with the world of fast food, little sleep and bone idleness, then the TV, the weapon that fells many before they even begin to climb Mt Strength, is the ultimate method of reaching new would be converts.

+2 Olympian.T’unicha leads by example. It may have shocked the world to have a total unknown storm in and win a record-breaking number of gold medals but his grace and might prove only the validity of his way.

Egomaniac. It is true, T’unicha is wise and great and powerful and mighty and divine and intelligent and grand and majestic and perfect and… did I say wise?

There is only one true way. One true path towards perfection. Humanity as a whole is weak, but flesh is the ultimate sculpting tool. There is power untold for those willing to climb the mountain. And even more power to the one that provides wisdom at it’s peak.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

LLSix posted:

Intriguingly offbeat. We've previously discussed the overlap of your divine and +4 mortal quality. Your divine quality already provides all of the best drugs you could possibly want making large parts of +4 mortal quality redundant. You are welcome to handicap yourself in that way if you like; and it does not affect your chances of being selected. I'm mentioning it here mostly for the sake of people still making their own demigods.

Valitnia sounds more like where you want to start. Where did Mekhistos first share the secrets of the Pharmakon.

I want to clarify the thinking behind my +4: it is intended to be an early crutch while Mekhistos claws his way back to dominion over all chemistry, but it's also meant to be used when interacting with mortals and teaching them. Mekhistos is a teacher at heart, so it's important that he is extremely good on the mundane side of things: can't teach Mankind how to conjure what they need from thin air and godly power.

Mekhistos first taught in the rocky peninsula of Akadaimo, where the mediterranean climate favored the growth of many useful plants and the quarreling philosopher kings promoted arts and science in the interest of besting their neighbors. For all of the city's dubious charm, he was drawn to Valnitia by the booming glass industry that developed there in the years after the Plagues.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

LLSix posted:

Solid. It'll be interesting seeing you try a more physical demigod.

Who is Marcus close to?

Joshua Seward

Marcus never has a good home life. His father was a drunk, and his mother died when he was still young. When he was a kid, his father remarried for a time, and things seemed to be getting better. Marcus was only a few years old when Joshua was born. However, they weren't together long. Their father started drinking again, and Josh's mother divorced him and won custody of Josh. Years later when Marcus was in high school they reconnected. The two of them have been fairly close ever since then.

Joshua is an up and coming Associate at a prestigious law firm in the city. His career and his future seem like they're going nowhere but up up up. Marcus and he have always gotten along, but beneath the surface, Marcus has always had a seed of jealousy for his half-brother's succeeding while his life seemed to be going nowhere fast.

Valhawk fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 12, 2017

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

LLSix posted:

I love the song and the dune picture. Concept is very solid. There's a lot of overlap between your +4 mortal quality and your divine one. I don't see a lot of situations where you'd be able to use your mortal quality and not want to use your divine one which is just infinitely better. You may want to pick something else.

What is the first revolution that Veränderung assisted? If he hasn't yet, what did he do before he became the demigod of Revolution?

Veränderung was drafted into the then-styled Nuradan Liberation Front at age 10, after his village had been 'liberated' from the nominal control of the Arradian autocracy, one of the many fractured territories of Nurada. Veränderung had not been his name then. The NLF resented the outside influence of the Major World Powers in Arradia, and the corruption endemic in General-President Farad's government, at least on paper. In reality they were every bit as greedy and corrupt, but merely lacked the backing of a Major Power, since their views were isolationist and hostile to outsiders, commercial interests in particular. He killed his first human being at age 11 during a clash with the State Security Forces when the NLF ambushed a military convoy sent to secure the territory's outer provinces against the insurgents. Five years, and countless skirmishes, later, the NLF were crushed by Peackeeping Forces sent to "restore order" by the Major World Powers, propping up the weakened autocracy with training, equipment, and air support. Veränderung miraculously survived the final push on his compound, one of only a handful who ended up scattering to the four winds in the confusion.

Veränderung has since drifted from militia to militia, popping up in conflicts across the whole of Nurada, apparently lacking a fixed ideology, but instead drawn to militias and revolutionary groups of varied beliefs and goals. Over time his brazen exploits earned him a noteworthy reputation as a particularly dangerous insurgent, credited with some of the region's militias' more surprising victories and suspected of masterminding a few of the more effective insurgency tactics still in use today. Occasionally he will be "confirmed" as dead, only to reappear elsewhere. This has given him a somewhat mythical status among the region's revolutionaries. Though he has spawned a few imitators, he can be recognized by his tattered cloak and facemask, his "piercing blue eyes", and most famously by his rifle, which bears the word "Veränderung" scratched into the barrel.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 13, 2017

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Cadell

Cadell isn’t tremendously “great” with time. He’s a dog, first of all. And then he’s a dog of faeries on top of that. So while he would eagerly-- and honestly-- tell you that he was still quite new to the scene, in truth there are trees and mountains and rivers younger than he. Cadell is an Old God.

Who Are you?
Formerly? Warhound and Battlesteed to Red Queen Aeronwen. She carved out her kingdom in the time before time during one of the Tylwyth Teg’s bloodier civil wars. With an emphasis on the bloody. Aeronwen had a tendency to decapitate her enemies, tie their heads to a pike, and rope the pike to Cadell’s harness. Faeries are notoriously difficult to kill. Even without their bodies, they are still capable of feeling pain. They can still scream.

It was quite the sight. Cadell adorned in armor. The Red Queen atop his back. A dozen decapitated heads screaming for an end to their suffering. It was good fun. Cadell had fun.

But then she left him. He still doesn’t know why. Or even where she went. He’s pretty sure she’s coming back, though. It’s only been… what? A couple days?

Currently, Cadell is a “pet” to a college student. Her name is Kenzie. She smokes a lot of weed and has low self-esteem. She’s really, really sweet though. Like the Red Queen, she also likes to make Cadell wear funny (though significantly less lethal/disturbing) outfits. She doesn’t have to work a real job because she created for Cadell an Instagram and he went adorably viral and now has a bajillion followers. Kenzie has no idea this is related to Cadell’s powers or even that he has powers. She just thinks he’s a very good boy.

Which he is!

Where are you from?
Ynys Afallach, also known as the great and mysterious Avalon, also off-campus housing, Cainwood University (Go Titans!)

What are you the god of?
Hope +2

Used to be more of an inspiring-battle-presence type thing. Now it’s more of a making-young-people-feel-like-there-is-still-good-in-this-world-despite-growing-economic-disparity-and-omnipresent-social-injustice kind of thing. People love cute dogs. What can you do?

Where do you excel?
Utterly Beloved +4(mortal)

You can buy a shirt with Cadell’s face. You can buy a fluffy plushie that looks just like him. Post a picture with him in it and your social media presence is going to skyrocket. And if you think things are wild here, check out his following overseas. He just did a Japanese commercial for ice cream bars in the shape of his butt (they’re delicious).

What gives you an edge?
Literally a dog +2 (mortal)
Amazing hearing. Incredible nose. All the cool dog stuff you could want and more. Not much more though. (I’m thinking he can probably do some sweet fairy dog stuff, too, like jump really high and run far without getting tired but I’ll take your feedback. I’m also down to switch this and utterly beloved if you think one is better suited at +4 than the other).

What upends your plans?
It’s Gotta Be Fun!
Cadell is free-spirited, wild, and happy-go-lucky. If something get too serious… he’s going to find something else to do instead.

Cadell doesn’t give a poo poo about human beings and would merrily prance while their world burns if it gave him the opportunity to rejoin the fairy world.

Conceptually, I think it would be really fun to play a character who is completely ambivalent to life but who is also really, really, really nice. Just by default. And I’ve built in a little conflict down the road if he start to get invested in one or two mortal relationships.

Bonus Pic of Cadell and Red Queen Aeronwen!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Please post your demigods by Friday night. I hope to get the first game post out sometime this weekend.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
gently caress yes a godgame! Oh man, the usual heavy hitters are out and I only ever have a phone to post from. Welp, ill be watching.

Edit: Testing because Imgur is now crap and confusing

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 14, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Deadmeat5150 posted:

gently caress yes a godgame! Oh man, the usual heavy hitters are out and I only ever have a phone to post from. Welp, ill be watching.

You still have time to make a demigod!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I'm Fine is something I envision as a more defensive/emergency skill as a result. I figured someone using 1 FP against her would be putting her on tilt, 2 FP would represent an outburst and 3 FP would be "barely functional sobbing wreck".

Keep in mind that your foible should be something you can tap to help yourself as well as something that can be used against you.

AJ_Impy posted:

Eliam, God of Religion

Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealthwrath and taste.
Dark.

Your foible should be something you can tap to help yourself as well as something that can be used against you. How can you invoke your foible to help you?

Religiosity is a bit cryptic, but I think your description is clear enough that it should be used as something along the lines of false faith which is acceptable. I don't think politician's would necessarily fall under your umbrella, except when their falsely claiming to have faith of course. If you level up into full fledged hypocrisy or deception they'd be more solidly in your domain.

Who is one person that has seen through your lies and why are they still alive?

I'll try to get to the other demigods as time allows. IAC is up next.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Milton "Wally" Simmons

A long time ago in a galaxy far far... wait that's not the right story. Ah, here we go. One day in the city of Farnam along the eastern seaboard of the Protected States, a young man was tapping away at his computer terminal. He was seated in an uncomfortable chair, in an uncomfortable cubicle, in a large room painted a very uncomfortable looking shade of periwinkle. The nameplate outside the cubicle was engraved with the name "Milton Simmons" and underneath that, "Logistics". It was a simple enough title for a simple enough man.

Milton despised his job, as well as all the people he was forced to work with. And while to the casual observer he appeared to be studiously at work, he was in fact usually playing an online text-based roleplaying game with several of his friends. Well, his only friends really. It was the low point of his life, where even a MUD he used to enjoy could no longer bring pleasure. Often throughout the day he would find himself staring at the poster on the wall outside the opening of his little kingdom. It was of a kitten hanging off a branch by its little paws. "Hang in There!" the text on the poster read. Milton sometimes wished the drat kitten would just fall.

On this particular day, something inside this young man snapped. He realized how little he cared about what was going on around him and just how little it mattered. So he stood up, gathered his things, and walked away. The pompous rear end that was his boss tried to stop him, shouting things like, "You're fired!" and, "Put down that fire extinguisher it isn't yours!" But Milton found that all the irritating sounds that usually came from the man blended together into a sort of wahwahwah noise. He was amazed when others began to comment on it as well. Milton never did find out if his old boss regained the ability to speak, as he just didn't care. Besides, he had gotten himself a nifty fire extinguisher.

Well that's a bit of a personal question, isn't it? I mean I don't go around demanding to know what kind of omnipotent narrator you are, do I? If you reall must know Ive been around since the dawn of time! I have watched humanity's rise, its greatest achievements, and its moat terrible deeds! Ok that's a lie. I've been around since about last thursday, in a really sort of godlike fashion. I mean I woke up and was like, "Wow, I suddenly understand the universe and how all life is connected and has a purpose!" Or something lile that. It might have been gas.

Who are you?
You're the omnipotent narrator, shouldn't you know? My mother named me Milton, but I prefer Wally. It isn't much better, but its a little better. Not much, but a little.

Where are you from?

Farnam, a big city in a big country, the Protected States. A group of former colonies that one decided that they didn't like being colonies and so rebeled against the Adyer Empire. The Empire, being big, bad and mighty, swatted the pitiful rebellion down like gnats bit conceeded in allowing the colonies to become protectorates. Some other stuff happened too but I wasn't really paying attention to that part in school. Eventually we were granted our own country, but I guess we liked the name. The Prime Minister is an rear end.

What are you the god of?
I suppose Im the god of not giving a poo poo? Is that a thing? It would have to be, I mean there's a real power when you suddenly stop caring about anything. And I don't mean in a sociopathic kind of way, I still like my friends, a little, and I'm not about to go murdering people to get my jollies. It's sort of like, why do I care about what other people think of me? Or why does it matter that the economy is going in the crapper, I've got a lovely internet comedy forum to read. Know what I mean?
Apathy: +2

Where do you excel?
Im great at not caring. Ok I guess thats not really a 'mortal' skillset, but it could be! If I tried. Well alright, this probably comes as a shock to nobody, but Im fairly good with electronics. I mean Im no Robert Portcullis, inventing microchips and whatnot, but Ive put together a few circuit boards. I tried doing it for a job, you know? But I really hated doing it as a job, better as a hobby. I've even got a few patents for some automation programs I developed. Which now that I think about, probably caused me to do more work than they saved. Eh, whatever.
Electronics and Electrical Systems: +4 (mortal)

What is your edge?
You know I dont actually have to work. I started working at the warehouse because I bored, and then it was familiar. Familiar is good, you know? Comfortable. Like a warm sweater on a cool afternoon. A sweater made of banality. Ok that doesn't really work now that I think about it. Maybe lile a suit of armor, made from cold hard indifference and... actually never mind, Ive gotten lost on that one. Anway yeah, mom left a pretty good inheritance and the money coming in from my patents is decent enough.
Independently Wealthy: +2 (mortal)

What upends your plans?
Look, Im not lazy, not really. I just don't see the need to exert myself when it isn't really called for. I have things to do things for me, and I sure I can get other people to do others. That's not being lazy, that's being economical!
Really Lazy: Situational

What kind of story do you wish to tell?
What happens when a man gains the power of a god, but doesn't know what to do with it? Especially when nothing seems to really concern him beyond his own wants or needs. He isn't a moral man, but neither is he a bad one. What could spur him forward?

Writing this on my phone took far longer than I liked.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Edea Mater

Good afternoon, I am Edea Mater, CEO of Mater Mining. We are an experienced company specialized in setting up resource exploitation sites for a variety of companies. Our rates are competitive and our results top notch. We also have a fine team of lawyers to make sure we do not let red tape of government regulations interfere with your operations.

Do you see them outside? Enviromental protesters. There is nothing I hate more. Especially the more, fluffy ones. That we are leading human civilization to its doom and that Mother Earth wants us to stop.

They are half right.

Edea Mater is simply one of the many names I have. But I am older than when humanity really had names. When they were barely more than beasts huddled around a fire, looking with fear and awe at everything around them, knowing how insignificant they were to the earth around them and filled with gratitude that it allowed enough food for them to feed themselves and their get, that is when humanity first knew me. No altars, no temples, no prayer. Just the primal knowledge that the Earth is far, far bigger than you.

But they got clever. Farming, towns, cities. I didn't really pay it much heed initially. Even as other gods took to fashionable little concepts like justice or freedom or wine, rising and falling. They still feared me though. Mother of Earth, mother of monsters. I now and then reminded them of their place.

But I was lax, a mother's mercy is a weakness I've learned to temper the hard way. I weakened as your towns became large cities, and nature was brought more and more under your control. Rather than the earth and nature being an all encompassing monster, it became an enemy to be conquered, then a challenge to be overcome, then treasures to be plundered, now a victim to be pities and protected. I weakened. Quicker than the other ones, the ones who became much too human. They said I was too old, than I couldn't adapt. But they thought humanity wouldn't eventually dispose of them as well. Foolish, foolish, foolish.

I tried to stop them. Disaster, plagues, droughts. But with every season I weakened, until I was barely more than a human. For a long time I was simply an immortal madwoman among you, helplessly sabotaging your community, a pitiful sight. But when you started to really industrialize, I came up with a plan.

I still had the knowledge what is within the earth. I used that to establish some coal mines as your first factories and trains came to bear. I invested, and learned, vanishing and appearing as my own daughter again and again, encouraging humanity to grow wide, to sate its appetites fully. Take what is theirs, chew and eat their fill. They think I don't read their reports about peak oil and climate change? But I do. I am very grateful for them. I want to time it just right, so that their precious power plants and factories will give out just as they most need their society to hum to deal with the disasters that are coming.

That is the plan. Civilization will collapse. Rather than these hubristic nations of millions and billions in their gleaming cities that try to get so far from the earth, there will once again be small tribes, huddled around a fire amidst the wreckage that is the gravstones of their grandfathers, looking scared in the dark and at the world, and hoping, praying, that it will be kind enough to feed them.

And then, but only then, I will forgive them, as a Mother does.

I did not expect this though. My power returning before humanity's downfall? On the one hand, it might make my job easier. On the other hand, I might not be alone.

What are you the God of? Earth +2. I no longer hold command of all the animals or the plants or the weather as I once did. Perhaps fitting, because I'm about to wipe out quite a few of them. But the power I am regaining is that of earth. As in the ground, the element. Only natural soil though.

Where do you Excell Engineering +4: I know all about your industry and energy. I helped build it. I helped design it. I pushed to try and make sure that any development that would guide you in a way against my plan failed, one way or the other. No divine tricks here. Simply plenty of time to learn.

What is your edge Well Connected +2 The cream of your crop. Your CEO's, Dukes, Magistrates. The ones with the wealth? Many of them rely on me to get their mining done. They think I'm a useful asset, glad to let me do the 'dirty work' while they engage in their little stock market games, and I can have their ear at times. Useless, stupid, weak, soft and fat. They will not survive what is to come. But for now, they are useful.

What upends your plan: Contempt for Mankind Humans are greedy, selfish, cowardly, short sighted petty and arrogant. And I build my plans on that. It usually works out. Usually. Sometimes there are aberrations. Some of them you can see from the start, others will just all of a sudden start acting completely against 'their economic self-interest'. Usually, that throws of the schedule.

What kind of story do you wish to tell?: An antagonistic role towards mankind, even somewhat misanthropic, combining the hubris of CEO's with a Shub Niggurath-like attitude towards humanity's meaning in the greater view of things. I wanna play something very VERY old.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 15, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Atlantic City is fine. Good range of qualities, your foible is a bit limited unless you expect Ares to show up a lot. Do you want him to?

You seem pretty willing to beat people up, what's your beef with your dad?

What did you think of that new Wonder Woman movie where she kills your dad?

OscarDiggs posted:

T’unicha

“That is without my “Ultimate Perfect Form, Sublime Divinity Edition” video workout routine, now only $69.99.

I think you want Exercise +2. Health isn't going to provide strength boosts and Life is too broad for a smallgod.

What event did T'unicha not win at the Olympics and who beat him?

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Cadell

Bonus Pic of Cadell and Red Queen Aeronwen!

At first glance I loved this god. I'm not really understanding where you want to go with this or how Hope fits into anything. Can you help clarify that for me? I'd understand if it was speed (or velocity or acceleration), or strength, or fascination or infatuation or beauty; but Hope feels like its coming out of left field.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

LLSix posted:

Atlantic City is fine. Good range of qualities, your foible is a bit limited unless you expect Ares to show up a lot. Do you want him to?

You seem pretty willing to beat people up, what's your beef with your dad?

What did you think of that new Wonder Woman movie where she kills your dad?

Oh, I can reword it as more of a general chip on shoulder / he can become angry but not in a beneficial way but more of a burn it all down, his progress and everything in spite.
I thought the +2 , +4, +6 was an increasing level of how to apply it. I was thinking multiple triggers. So level one can be a general dad thing, level two can be he's out to prove things and the chip on shoulder. While a massive setback might set off anger or the anger causes the setback?

"Dad, doesn't care about the world or mom. He says what he does is necessary and the things that, matter to me don't matter to him. He's a total dick to me and nothing is ever good enough for him. Says I'm "soft" and "weak". I'll show him!"

"If only wonder woman existed! Something to humble dad. He's not as perfect as he likes to think! Too bad he's just banished for a while and reforms. I think it's happened once?"

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 15, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I am Communist posted:

Oh, I can reword it as more of a general chip on shoulder / he can become angry but not in a beneficial way but more of a burn it all down, his progress and everything in spite.
I thought the +2 , +4, +6 was an increasing level of how to apply it. I was thinking multiple triggers. So level one can be a general dad thing, level two can be he's out to prove things and the chip on shoulder. While a massive setback might set off anger or the anger causes the setback?

It works pretty much exactly the way it does in your smallgods game. Also the way it works in fate games.

I am Communist posted:

"Dad, doesn't care about the world or mom. He says what he does is necessary and the things that, matter to me don't matter to him. He's a total dick to me and nothing is ever good enough for him. Says I'm "soft" and "weak". I'll show him!"
This is what I was looking for. You're good.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

LLSix posted:

At first glance I loved this god. I'm not really understanding where you want to go with this or how Hope fits into anything. Can you help clarify that for me? I'd understand if it was speed (or velocity or acceleration), or strength, or fascination or infatuation or beauty; but Hope feels like its coming out of left field.

I wrote Hope. I think I meant Inspiration. I think either could work, though. Cadell was never a god of war but he was a beast of it. Of course, his form no longer plays to that position. Not with humans. Not with guns and tanks. Yet that bolstering of the spirit remains. That ability to drum up courage. To quicken hearts and swell chests. He makes people feel... capable. Not smarter. Not tougher. For example, look at Kenzie. He didn't cure her depression or halt her tendency to self-medicate with smoking weed or fix her attraction to lovely men. He simply made her feel like things were possible, like the world was possible, like applying to your dream school was possible. And she was accepted to Cainwood-- on a scholarship no less-- and things have advanced from there. An art student in Lit 101 made a painting of Cadell "as a joke." Students touched it for luck. It became a (successful) ritual before tests. Things advanced from there. The unpaid graduate student teaching the class led a strike with his peers for appropriate compensation. It was successful. Things advanced from there.

Cadell thinks this is all great fun.

Should I change my aspect?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Milton "Wally" Simmons

Writing this on my phone took far longer than I liked.

Solid.

It is easier to do nothing in some places than in others. What is your favorite place to do nothing in and why?

Tyrannosaurus posted:

I wrote Hope. I think I meant Inspiration. I think either could work, though. Cadell was never a god of war but he was a beast of it. Of course, his form no longer plays to that position. Not with humans. Not with guns and tanks. Yet that bolstering of the spirit remains. That ability to drum up courage. To quicken hearts and swell chests. He makes people feel... capable. Not smarter. Not tougher. For example, look at Kenzie. He didn't cure her depression or halt her tendency to self-medicate with smoking weed or fix her attraction to lovely men. He simply made her feel like things were possible, like the world was possible, like applying to your dream school was possible. And she was accepted to Cainwood-- on a scholarship no less-- and things have advanced from there. An art student in Lit 101 made a painting of Cadell "as a joke." Students touched it for luck. It became a (successful) ritual before tests. Things advanced from there. The unpaid graduate student teaching the class led a strike with his peers for appropriate compensation. It was successful. Things advanced from there.

Cadell thinks this is all great fun.

Should I change my aspect?
I wouldn't. Sounds like hope to me. Or maybe Self Confidence? But Hope's fine.

One of the people Cadell knew when he was a war mount still visits every week. Who is it and why do they visit?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

LLSix posted:

Dark.

Your foible should be something you can tap to help yourself as well as something that can be used against you. How can you invoke your foible to help you?

"What happens when one who truly believes, one whose faith is pure and beautiful, winds up looking upon those who serve me within their religious hierarchy and paying them the respect and obedience that they know their faith to require? That is where I can manipulate the Truly Faithful and have them directed in accordance with my will. My words on the lips of the False as guidance and instruction to the True, from those whom their own belief sets above them in that pastoral role, is how I can make use of True Faith without succumbing to it. Funnelling it into zealotry and fanaticism, martyrdom and self-sacrifice, all noble and worthy things in their eyes if not for my ulterior motives."

LLSix posted:

Religiosity is a bit cryptic, but I think your description is clear enough that it should be used as something along the lines of false faith which is acceptable. I don't think politician's would necessarily fall under your umbrella, except when their falsely claiming to have faith of course. If you level up into full fledged hypocrisy or deception they'd be more solidly in your domain.

We are on the same page here. Only when using the faith of others to manipulate them are they within his remit, be it in order to present themselves as a shining example of and to the faithful, or to sway support for a policy principle, even one directly against the interests of the ones so gulled, by wrapping it up in misquoted and out of context religious tenets. Otherwise, regular old corruption and graft for other reasons is somegod else's problem.

LLSix posted:

Who is one person that has seen through your lies and why are they still alive?

"I am presently resident with a 'Faithful' family, sharing their home charitably because they feel it is the right thing to do. They rarely if ever open the sacred text they claim as the foundation of their faith. Their daughter, though? Ah, little Jana. In the late tween years and such a little cynic! Exceedingly bright, questions everything, thinks very poorly of the world in general, remarkably clear-sighted. Doesn't bother with paying lip service to that faith, so neither a True nor False believer. She sees through my lies all too well, so I make sure to feed her interesting ones from time to time to focus her mistrust of me. In honesty, I rather like her, her attitude is rather refreshing. She lacks agency to do much with it, at least at the present time. I wouldn't dream of ending her, to say nothing of how ungracious a guest that would make me."

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

LLSix posted:

It is easier to do nothing in some places than in others. What is your favorite place to do nothing in and why?

Have you ever been to Sotria? It's a town on the west coast, northish. They made a movie there a while about a band of plucky kids, some gangsters, and a pirate called Solo Eye Petey or something. It was pretty good. Anyway they filmed it in this little town right on the ocean. Years ago some friends and I passed through on a road trip to Effigy Man. We stopped for the night and, to be honest, they were really wearing on me. So I left the hotel and was walking to a gas station where the hotel clerk said I could buy some weed, and not that dirt weed poo poo be brought with us but some real good stuff. Like the kind that zombies you out for hours, that kind. Man, it's been a while since I did any of that.

Where was I? Oh right, the bench. So the walk was like three blocks and about halfway there I kinda didnt think it was really worth the effort any more and there was this bench on the side of the road, just looking out over the ocean. It looked real inviting, so I took a seat.

It was... what's the word? Enchanting, yeah that works. I mean I'm not a nature guy, but I don't know how long I sat and just... watched. All the way through the sunset and well into the night. Just the sounds of crashing waves and smell of brine. If I didn't get violently sick on boats I might even be a sailor. Well, except for that whole hard work thing.

Anyway I've git a place like that in Farnam. It's on a hill just north of the city. Don't have to walk it, I can drive up there. It's in the little park that nobody ever goes to be me, it seems. I go there when I truly want to be alone, when I don't even want my thoughts to bother me. Just zone out, watch the waves, ignore the slight poo poo smell from the sewage treatment plant a mile north. I can't even call it my happy place, more lile my numb place. Just somewhere to go and do and be as little as possible.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Shogeton posted:

Edea Mater

[They believe] we are leading human civilization to its doom and that Mother Earth wants us to stop.

They are half right.

A fun twist on mother earth. A little grandiose for a smallgod perhaps. Qualities are fine.

How do you feel about other corporations like Enronm and Volkswagonm that sped up the impending climate apocalypse?
Did you want to help them temporarily escape the consequences of their actions so they could continue contributing to the demise of mankind?

LLSix fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 16, 2017

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

LLSix posted:

It works pretty much exactly the way it does in your smallgods game. Also the way it works in fate games.

This is what I was looking for. You're good.

Edited drawback/foible to be more in line with what's expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

There are many good boys in the world. Who else is a good boy?

• Locked thread