Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Yeah croberts isn't gonna willingly give up his dream of making the star wars of videogames, I don't think he personally gives a gently caress about SC and wouldn't play it if it was out.

Also Derek is a parody of himself at this point but I can only pray I have as fun a pastime to entertain myself when I'm retired.

Also Big Nipples Big Life I always laugh at your username

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Did not laugh, too real atm...

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Jeez, random CIG employee #17 (Clive Johnson) says something about the networking that isn't very good for Star Citizen. But within two days, Lando has already announced a tech update on the netcode (in a month, got holidays to sellabrate). And a random patch went out that mentions netcode.

Odd how those things line up.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Just when I thought I was out, they loss me back in

:five:

Mr.Tophat fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 12, 2017

Saw
Aug 19, 2005

I am loosing my patience after seeing your big size boobs and having a wish to suck them for atleast one hour then t

G0RF posted:

:tinfoil:”IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, BREAK LOAN”:tinfoil:

I had speculated something similar to this many weeks ago. Legal type goons responded that Roberts et. al. can't get out of their responsibilities that easily (by just defaulting on a loan).

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Facebook Aunt posted:

Space truckers want to be rewarded for enduring drudgery. Not for accomplishing something hard. Not for having the best PC and top notch twitch reflexes. Not for figuring out an angle. They want top tier rewards for putting up with dull stuff.

They aren't necessarily against shortcuts, but those shortcuts should have disadvantages so the best $/hour or whatever comes from puttering around doing things the 'right' way.

The best thing about all the guys screaming for first person fidelity and maximum box-loading immersion is they're the same idiot morons who are going to do everything in their power to skip all that poo poo once it ends up in game.

The same thing happened in Elite - you can check the trade routes and find a loop trading poo poo for a couple thousand credits in profit per ton, OR you can look at the subreddit and realize that you can make 50 million credits in a single jump if you go to X system and spend ten minutes flipping the mission boards to pick up high paying transfers to the next system over. Every patch there's a dozen new posts about how to maximize your space trucking profit and it's all from the same braindead fuckfaces who complained about instant ship transfers.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

What composes your "Web Services" on that diagram?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Derek keeps leaving his suppositories lying around.

More buggy, then usual.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I don't know my rear end from my elbow but I always thought that one of the cornerstones of SC is the lack of a legal obligation to deliver a product. Defaulting on a loan creates an obligation to someone that involves pocketbooks, contracts and people with an understanding of the law growing at one another which cashing checks.

If Chris dumps what's left of the resources at his disposal into his perfect vision for Sq42 and fails he'll be disapointed, a lot richer and no longer respected by a lot of faceless nerds on the internet. Maybe they'll name the laws that are put into place to stop this sort of thing in the future after him, but I don't see a scenario where he can save face mismanaging the funds for a project that bring in a little more than 8x the original pricetag.

Dude's going to sleep just fine at night if nerds are angry but lawyers don't care.

Source: Willingness to speculate about stuff I know nothing about on the internet.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Holy poo poo :lol:

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

To be fair, that was a good post. You should start posting those here too instead of linking to your site. Before you get beaten to that by someone else, too :sun:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Dusty Lens posted:

I don't know my rear end from my elbow but I always thought that one of the cornerstones of SC is the lack of a legal obligation to deliver a product.

Lack of legal obligation: the cornerstone of any nutritious scam

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

Dusty Lens posted:

I don't know my rear end from my elbow but I always thought that one of the cornerstones of SC is the lack of a legal obligation to deliver a product. Defaulting on a loan creates an obligation to someone that involves pocketbooks, contracts and people with an understanding of the law growing at one another which cashing checks.
That's what they pretend, but "pledge" isn't a magic word that immunizes them from consumer protection laws. And a prosecutor is a far more existential threat than Coutts, which is why they flinch every time a prosecutor gets involved in a refund request.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sunswipe posted:

Couple of pages back, but surely it's pretty easy to make piracy economically feasible? You have factions who will pay you to gently caress up cargo runs being done for their rivals. Seizing the actual cargo becomes a bonus rather than the main objective. Or am I missing something?

That's one solution. Let's break out what it would require, for that to be a PvP gameplay element though.

That would require: factions, rivals, an economic reason to interrupt those cargo runs like income-based ship crafting, a longer-term objective like territory control or market domination, a way to actually intercept the haulers since right now they can just QT from start to end point instantly, and a some kind of trading downside that makes it easier to do that intercepting rather than just have every potential pirate run more cargo for your side. Star Citizen has none of these things and never will.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Virtual Captain posted:

Can possibly help you with even more SomethingJones, they were advised against CryEngine waaaaaaay earlier than last year:

https://youtu.be/bzYhwHfDZrw?t=4920
Person1: "During the KickStarter [...] They didn't take the time to consult anybody to find out if the engine would ever actually be able to support any of those things"
Person2: "No, no-no-no. They did consult somebody, and what did they tell them?"
Person1: "Uhh I can't name names on that one, but yes. Close personal friend told them 'NO.'"

Jeez, I'd forgotten about that and I actually transcribed it at the time! I remember climbing into bed, flipping on that podcast (because Rogue System was a game I backed way back) and couldn't believe it when they started laying into Star Citizen. I immediately posted about in on here whilst fully naked.

(Crappy cheap Sony old-style in-ear headphones from Amazon are best for bedtime podcast listening btw. Very comfy.)

But yeah, apparently so - they were advised against Cry way back at the start but bear in mind this was based on making a space game with Cry, not an MMO. From memory I think SGJ in that podcast goes on to say that in an ideal world he would have chosen Rockstar's engine. Scott Manley also has a video up in the last few days with a game doing seamless transition from space right down to bustling streets with vehicles and people - it might have already been posted, I'm still playing catch-up atm. It's actually very impressive looking.

So CIG went on to create spaceships and now we have moons and the official line is 'everyone said it was impossible to make a space game in Cry but look here it is', and it's a godawful mess that I still maintain wouldn't get a kickstarter off the ground. And now it's out in the open about the engine change discussions that took place primarily around the issue of MMO networking and backend, scalability, maintenance, hosting costs and all that good stuff and the exact same advice was given - and ignored.

What's amazing about this is that there actually was a point in time in this project that an engine change was being seriously discussed mid-development and was in fact on the table. What I mean is the very fact that a discussion around an engine change happened that deep into dev tells you how bad the actual engine was at that point.

That is something that has been kept from backers.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Dusty Lens posted:

If Chris dumps what's left of the resources at his disposal into his perfect vision for Sq42 and fails he'll be disapointed, a lot richer and no longer respected by a lot of faceless nerds on the internet. Maybe they'll name the laws that are put into place to stop this sort of thing in the future after him, but I don't see a scenario where he can save face mismanaging the funds for a project that bring in a little more than 8x the original pricetag.

Dude's going to sleep just fine at night if nerds are angry but lawyers don't care.

Source: Willingness to speculate about stuff I know nothing about on the internet.

There is a legal obligation. When you put something up for sale you are making an offer. When someone accepts the offer it forms a civil contract. This is retail 101. That's why if something is labelled with the wrong price in a store or on a site they have to sell it at that price if you accept the offer and take it to the checkout.

CIG are obliged to deliver what they sold or refund your purchase. That's all there is to it. All of the arguments about pledges and services and whatever bore me, because they are all wrong and written by people who have no clue what they are talking about.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Mr.Tophat posted:

Lack of legal obligation: the cornerstone of any nutritious scam

Part of your five a day

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Shitizens have immoral certainty about this thing releasing

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

SomethingJones posted:

Part of your five a day

I've been chewing the fat for quite a while now

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

gently caress me this is going to be amazing

If it's only running at 7fps one hour gameplay videos will only take up about half a mb, you can't lose

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Does the divx encoder go down as far as 7fps?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

"16-17 fps but it does feel a lot smoother"

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Okay, low fps is the ELE

got it

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

SomethingJones posted:

I immediately posted about it here whilst fully naked.

:five::same::five:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

lol i just realized its 6-17 not 16-17

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Mr.Tophat posted:

Shitizens have immoral certainty about this thing releasing

I REMEMBER

...when Arena Commander was finally released in the middle of the night, I think it was a January years ago. I was following the SC reddit on my phone because boy was there some hype around this game and here were the backers getting their hands on the first bit of it. It was thrilling.

It was absolute chaos and nothing was working properly and poo poo was being compiled and posted every half an hour and nobody cared because hype. It went on for hours. I fell asleep.

The next day I checked the RSI forums and all hell had broken loose. At least that's how I remember it. There was a guy who had been designing spaceships, doing modelling, making poo poo and posting it, joining in, getting HYPE. He was loving disgusted with the lovely arcade flight model and he deleted his ships and hosed off and was never seen again.

It all went a bit downhill from there.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

lmao

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the human eye can't even register the difference between 6 and 60 fps, you guys are just looking for stuff to complain about

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

SomethingJones posted:

I immediately posted about it here whilst fully naked.

Balled it.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

6? Do me a lemon. That's a poor framerate for a glass of water.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

One of my favorite Arena Commander memories concerned the first 250 "citizens" gaining access to the online portion.

Lots of streamers and youtubers gained access that day, but my bud in the double digits somehow had his invitation lost in the mail.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Each frame is jam-packed with fidelity though

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

SomethingJones posted:

I REMEMBER

...when Arena Commander was finally released in the middle of the night, I think it was a January years ago. I was following the SC reddit on my phone because boy was there some hype around this game and here were the backers getting their hands on the first bit of it. It was thrilling.

It was absolute chaos and nothing was working properly and poo poo was being compiled and posted every half an hour and nobody cared because hype. It went on for hours. I fell asleep.

The next day I checked the RSI forums and all hell had broken loose. At least that's how I remember it. There was a guy who had been designing spaceships, doing modelling, making poo poo and posting it, joining in, getting HYPE. He was loving disgusted with the lovely arcade flight model and he deleted his ships and hosed off and was never seen again.

It all went a bit downhill from there.

This is a good story and you're a good poster

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
By the way guys, I've looking for info on "network culling" (mainly for cheat prevention) but I haven't found many games where the servers make sure that clients don't get updates from stuff they shouldn't see. Does anybody can give me some examples?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

lol if they pull a superman 64 and explain the low framerate via lore

just framelock it to 5fps and say you're reading a picture book about the future or something

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

trucutru posted:

By the way guys, I've looking for info on "network culling" (mainly for cheat prevention) but I haven't found many games where the servers make sure that clients don't get updates from stuff they shouldn't see. Does anybody can give me some examples?

Derek Smart's block list

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Mr.Tophat posted:

This is a good story and you're a good poster

I am surrounded by good posters in here

Best thread.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

starkebn posted:

Each frame is jam-packed with fidelity though

I think if you'll look at Mr. WTFosaurus's Twitch stream, you'll find that that isn't exactly the case, though the 6 frames per second does give you time to admire the bland grayness (when it isn't stuttering).

Toilet roll made an appearance on his stream, I think the first time he spawned. It was just magazines the other time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/9y2mDXc.gifv