Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

That is the cutest thing I've ever seen, and that's because the cow has learned from the dog how to show affection :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

SomethingJones posted:

I REMEMBER

...when Arena Commander was finally released in the middle of the night, I think it was a January years ago. I was following the SC reddit on my phone because boy was there some hype around this game and here were the backers getting their hands on the first bit of it. It was thrilling.

It was absolute chaos and nothing was working properly and poo poo was being compiled and posted every half an hour and nobody cared because hype. It went on for hours. I fell asleep.

The next day I checked the RSI forums and all hell had broken loose. At least that's how I remember it. There was a guy who had been designing spaceships, doing modelling, making poo poo and posting it, joining in, getting HYPE. He was loving disgusted with the lovely arcade flight model and he deleted his ships and hosed off and was never seen again.

It all went a bit downhill from there.

all down hill to 172 million dollars. listen to yourself.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

SCtrumpHaters posted:

I'm sure there's a joke in there about listing all of CIGs accomplishments to date but I can't put my finger on it.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
Good riddance to bad gimmick.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
So that's what that button does

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Rest in spaghetti, never forgetti

Where's star citizen version of the "press F to pay respects" gif?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

I've literally never reported anyone, and I don't think I ever would, even if they were a bug that needed to be smashed

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

I'm a little sad you can't report yourself

I can't turn myself into the cops for shitposting :qq:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Combat Theory posted:

Where's star citizen version of the "press F to pay respects" gif?
Wouldn't it just be archering the normal gif but dropping it to 7 frames per second?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

SCtrumpHaters posted:

God drat it Beet, you had one job.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=221915

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

AngusPodgorny posted:

That's what they pretend, but "pledge" isn't a magic word that immunizes them from consumer protection laws. And a prosecutor is a far more existential threat than Coutts, which is why they flinch every time a prosecutor gets involved in a refund request.

THE AUTHORITIES: “You can’t just decide not to deliver your single player game, Mr. Roberts...”

CHRIS: “Of course not!”

THE AUTHORITIES: “Then you’re aware that you’d be legally obligated to refund any pre-purchase revenues derived from said product?”

CHRIS: “Yes and in fact I’ve already cut the check to make any backers whole.”

THE AUTHORITIES: “Well presumably you’ll be printing more than one?”

CHRIS; “Nope, just one!”

Chris reaches behind his Restoration Hardware desk and pulls out a comically oversized check, “PAYABLE TO MR. BEN LESNICK in the amount of $60.”

Cue laugh track. Roberts turns to camera and makes an exaggerated shrug with a stupid, sheepish grin on his face which locks in FREEZE FRAME.

Title pop: “Directed by CHRIS ROBERTS”

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Guys, I've known you all for a long time and we've been through a lot

And now I need your help for the purpose of comedy

I need you to report everyone who quotes my first post in THIS THREAD

Mr.Tophat fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 12, 2017

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Free Tophat's quoters.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Mr.Tophat posted:

Guys, I've known you all for a long time and we've been through a lot

And now I need your help for the purpose of comedy

I need you to report everyone who quotes my first post in THIS THREAD

Are you okay, friend?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

ComfyPants posted:

Free Tophat's quoters.

Someone should report him, he's outta control

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Variable 5 posted:

Are you okay, friend?

I just bought this shirt, what do you think

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

trucutru posted:

By the way guys, I've looking for info on "network culling" (mainly for cheat prevention) but I haven't found many games where the servers make sure that clients don't get updates from stuff they shouldn't see. Does anybody can give me some examples?

Only truely successful implementation I can think of is World of Warcraft stealth. Far as I know there were never any hacks to detect rogues that are in the network comms but not rendered on the screen. I believe this is because all the detection mechanics were run on the server but I don't know for sure because the WoW server-client still seems like a black box.

I am not an expert, but
One difficult thing about response occlusion on the server, especially in 3D games is detecting what objects can see each other, does the server keep track of the character's center x-y position or the entire bounds of the character model? I don't now all the fancy 3D terms but for the same reason a grenade might not damage you even though it went off inches away, the detection got caught on some random vertex or geometry left over in the level editor.

Also consider a match of Counter-Strike, obviously players shouldn't be able to sniff the network for enemies on the other side of a wall, but what if one player accidentally reveals the crown of his head through a window, even for a brief second? Is the client fast enough to draw the character that it suddenly hears about from the server? I'd argue not in most cases, or at least the easier solution is to lockdown the client with cheat detection and/or obfuscation.

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 12, 2017

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

SCtrumpHaters posted:

no one gives a poo poo derek. you have been passed by playing coy for over 2 years.

the other guy is the new derek now.

:yarg::laffo:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
that stuff about the S42 trailer before star wars is crazy as hell. like surely, if it is indeed true, that's a horrible blow to CIG?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SomethingJones posted:

There is a legal obligation. When you put something up for sale you are making an offer. When someone accepts the offer it forms a civil contract. This is retail 101. That's why if something is labelled with the wrong price in a store or on a site they have to sell it at that price if you accept the offer and take it to the checkout.

CIG are obliged to deliver what they sold or refund your purchase. That's all there is to it. All of the arguments about pledges and services and whatever bore me, because they are all wrong and written by people who have no clue what they are talking about.

lmao what

just because businesses will "usually" honor it for the sake of it being more hassle not to, doesn't mean the business is required to honor whatever price tag a customer stuck to an item or display a customer swapped a displayed price

now, if you have something advertised elsewhere (in a newspaper or something) and you get to the store and it's a different price you may have a compelling argument about the company pulling a bait-and-switch, but you'd still have an uphill battle to actually prove that it wasn't an honest mistake on the company's part (you're not going to get a $10,000 TV for $10 because the comma was a period). if you're already in the store and you're told a coffeemaker is $10 more than what you thought it was, take it or leave it then your "emotional damages" are going to be nonexistent

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

SomethingJones is right, in the UK if it's labelled a price and whoops, it turns out to be more, that's against the law if the label aint removed or something

I remember watching Short Change and it told me about this years ago so it must be true

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Milky Moor posted:

that stuff about the S42 trailer before star wars is crazy as hell. like surely, if it is indeed true, that's a horrible blow to CIG?

It would be wonderful if there’s a Squadron trailer before Star Wars and if the game did release.

Plus it would mean Jake’s big scoop from a year and a half ago finally came to pass.

Please let this be true!

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Mr.Tophat posted:

I remember watching Short Change and it told me about this years ago so it must be true

I watched Short Circuit and all I learned was about the Los Locos gang.

Maybe it's not a series.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

G0RF posted:

It would be wonderful if there’s a Squadron trailer before Star Wars and if the game did release.

Plus it would mean Jake’s big scoop from a year and a half ago finally came to pass.

Please let this be true!

i thought scruffpuff said that they can't though, they don't have it ready in time

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

lmao what

just because businesses will "usually" honor it for the sake of it being more hassle not to, doesn't mean the business is required to honor whatever price tag a customer stuck to an item or display a customer swapped a displayed price

now, if you have something advertised elsewhere (in a newspaper or something) and you get to the store and it's a different price you may have a compelling argument about the company pulling a bait-and-switch, but you'd still have an uphill battle to actually prove that it wasn't an honest mistake on the company's part (you're not going to get a $10,000 TV for $10 because the comma was a period). if you're already in the store and you're told a coffeemaker is $10 more than what you thought it was, take it or leave it then your "emotional damages" are going to be nonexistent

The contract is made at the point of sale which is where you take it to the checkout. This is basic stuff. Businesses don't honour it to 'avoid hassle' they do it because that's the letter of the law. In reality most customers and sales reps don't know this, but it's true.

If you see an item in a newspaper advertised for a price and you get to the store and it's a different price that's just tough poo poo, there's nothing you can do about that and it happens all the time.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SomethingJones posted:

The contract is made at the point of sale which is where you take it to the checkout. This is basic stuff. Businesses don't honour it to 'avoid hassle' they do it because that's the letter of the law. In reality most customers and sales reps don't know this, but it's true.

If you see an item in a newspaper advertised for a price and you get to the store and it's a different price that's just tough poo poo, there's nothing you can do about that and it happens all the time.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2010/09/your-rights-as-a-consumer/index.htm

quote:

The sign in the store says the computer printer is $2.49, but it rang up at $249. Saying it was an error, the store is refusing to honor the posted price.

The law

It's generally a myth that retailers must honor a posted price if it's simply a mistake, although some stores might do so as a matter of policy or on a case-by-case basis. The issue gets murky if the retailer begins processing the order, something that is more likely to happen online, says Jane Winn, a professor at the University of Washington Law School. But even then, she says, a merchant might be able to cancel the purchase if the price was so low that a buyer should have known it was mistake. An online retailer's fine print may relieve it of the duty to fulfill orders based on pricing errors.

Businesses that intentionally post false prices or that otherwise engage in bait-and-switch pricing can be liable under federal and state consumer-protection statutes.

:shrug:

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Mr.Tophat posted:

SomethingJones is right, in the UK if it's labelled a price and whoops, it turns out to be more, that's against the law if the label aint removed or something

See what happened? Something Jones goes M.I.A. for a while. Thread goes to absolute and utter poo poo. Suddenly Jones is back! And now poo poo is starting to come together.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

That's not how it works in the UK, regardless of your google-fu.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

tooterfish posted:

It's not an option, because that implies there's an alternative.

No you moron. Failure is not an option. It has since been replaced with "Thank you for playing Star Citizen!"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mr.Tophat posted:

Oh, if SJ is talking about the UK that'd probably be a little different than the US in some regards.

e:fb

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Milky Moor posted:

i thought scruffpuff said that they can't though, they don't have it ready in time

He did and may very well be right. I’d never bet against ScruffPuff. But can’t a man hope? I don’t know if you’ve heard this before but I gotta believe!

(For realz I am behind the times on any non-thread scuttlebutt about Squadron so discount my comments on the matter accordingly. :))

G0RF fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 12, 2017

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Oh, if SJ is talking about the UK that'd probably be a little different than the US in some regards.

e:fb

The reason CIG have to give refunds is because they have accepted the orders for the spaceships. If you buy a ship it appears in your account which is an acceptance of the order as opposed to a 'receipt' of the order. The acceptance forms the contract which in real terms is the consumer legislation applicable in the country of the customer.

If they only 'received' the order there is no contract of sale and in this case CIG could get away with calling these things pledges. But they don't, they accept the order, accept the money, show the goods in your account and you are awaiting delivery. Which never comes.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Failure is not an option.

According to the Mythbusters, failure is always an option.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Virtual Captain posted:

Also consider a match of Counter-Strike, obviously players shouldn't be able to sniff the network for enemies on the other side of a wall, but what if one player accidentally reveals the crown of his head through a window, even for a brief second? Is the client fast enough to draw the character that it suddenly hears about from the server? I'd argue not in most cases, or at least the easier solution is to lockdown the client with cheat detection and/or obfuscation.

Well, the idea is that the server culls the messages when a character is firmly behind a wall or such, but as the character approaches the wall end, it starts sending updates to the client (which will still not show it to the player but is now aware of its existence) so that the client is ready to draw the character if it does leave the wall area.

I find it kind of weird that stuff like this (which has a shitload of papers written about) is not implemented in more games.

I investigated a bit and found none to be honest.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
poo poo I googled it and I'm wrong

You have to hand over money in the UK before there's a contract BUT if it's clearly not a mistake as in it's not just one item priced wrong but all the items priced wrong then they have to honour it.

Contract is formed at the point of sale and the point of sale is when you pay for it.

Therefore

and furthermore

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

G0RF posted:

Please let this be true!

Man, INN were so close there to being right about something.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
I know how they feel

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

SomethingJones posted:

Man, INN were so close there to being right about something.

I’m cracking up!

(Even so, I will never forget Erris’s shining nanosecond of lucidity... If only he’d held on to it, rather than let it pass like a fever dream.)

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

DapperDon posted:

See what happened? Something Jones goes M.I.A. for a while. Thread goes to absolute and utter poo poo. Suddenly Jones is back! And now poo poo is starting to come together.

I aint talking about that film

I'm talking about a series in Britain about consumer rights and poo poo for young people in the 90s I wanna say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

SomethingJones posted:

poo poo I googled it and I'm wrong

You have to hand over money in the UK before there's a contract BUT if it's clearly not a mistake as in it's not just one item priced wrong but all the items priced wrong then they have to honour it.

Contract is formed at the point of sale and the point of sale is when you pay for it.

Therefore

and furthermore

in cuntclusion