Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Flying Leatherman posted:

Active participation in forum mafia from all players makes for a more entertaining experience for everyone, and I will not hesitate to modkill players for inactivity. If you find that you're unable to keep up with the pace of the game or if something comes up that will affect your availability, please PM me so that I can look for replacements rather than detract from the game by extending the replacement process. I will prod inactive players via PM, but your warnings will be limited.

I'm going to confess to a certain amount of 'being difficult' (thank you, Hal), and a certain amount of having fun at the expense of clarity. Why is that I believe the exact opposite of Wren's remark is true. "Off-topic", "joke", "just-for-fun", "irreverent" posts paint a larger picture of a variety of choices than, say, not posting. In all of the games I've played, more of you makes it harder to fake what you're doing or talking about. Say what you will about the usefulness of my posts, but they've all - all - been within the logos of this game.

I know and have paid the price for essaying rather than shotgunning, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

hexwren posted:

play the game or stop posting.

Do not ever presume you have the right to tell me what I can or cannot do, however you choose to interpret (or fake interpreting) my actions.

I'm going to say this a few different ways because I know sometimes I can be difficult:

Don't ever dictate to me how I should behave in any context.
How dare you, in the context of a silly internet game, speak to me like this?
You do not get to tell me what to do. Ever.

and my personal favorite

Make me.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Murmur Twin posted:

pera is one of my favorite people on SA (or otherwise) We've gotten to know each other really well over the last year :glomp: I say that because I'm about to make a meta case

peramene posted:

setting aside meta considerations positively or negatively because I don't want to play that way and I encourage the rest of you to do so as well seeing as we are test subjects

:glomp: punk rear end!!!!

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Well you made me chuckle so there is that

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Murmur Twin posted:

Town pera traits:

- starts out timid, afraid of making incorrect cases
- acts defensive when cased, frustrated by being town + accused of being scum
- eventually focuses into hunting for scum by making well-thought out cases

Scum pera traits:

- exudes confidence
- talks a lot about things unrelated to the present game
- shows a lot of awareness about how other people are perceiving her

"He's giving me lots of options to consider rather than pushing just one, which seems wicked suspicious to me now that deadline approaches" is literally the only sentence she uses to explain why she's suspicious of Snail. She isn't acting at all like someone who is curious or uncertain about Snail's alignment.

I'd rephrase quite a few of these perspectives ("afraid of?" hmm...) but they are drag me levels of correct on the part of this beautiful woman with one big big big problem:

Side by side:

- starts out timid, afraid of making incorrect cases | talks a lot about things unrelated to the present game
- acts defensive when cased, frustrated by being town + accused of being scum | shows a lot of awareness about how other people are perceiving her
- eventually focuses into hunting for scum by making well-thought out cases | exudes confidence

I present you, love, and you alone for the most part, these considerations. You may very well be able to detect Sincere Sara v. Sneaky Sna...ra, and your radar may in fact be wiggling prior to this morning because, yeah, I've been screwing around, but nobody else could. That timidity gets me roasted, town or scum (so does the confidence). In part because it doesn't serve my fellows one way or another but moreso because it just isn't me either way, it's a tightening of the biceps and clenched fists and just not being comfortable in the space - which I don't have to tell you, just isn't fun. I've been trying to work on this, and in this game in particular, feel I've succeeded in throwing caution to the wind.

all of that to say, hoooly poo poo, drag me. You've described me in a nutshell. And I think this post might serve to show you exactly how much sara and how much snake has come to the table.

Regarding snail:
I 'fessed to our masonry straight up because I wanted it to be known that it was unconfirmed. I wanted to identify that I had something of a "power" / distinctive element to my role that was not an explicit threat to town - the OP warns against making assumptions regarding roles and it has never been my practice to do so simply because it's just dumb. As a scum tactic,, I could see "yeah well we had a confirmed masonry" being an incredibly easy lie to tell. I wanted to get that power out of snail's hands and measure his reaction. He didn't flinch.

"He's giving me lots of options to consider rather than pushing just one, which seems wicked suspicious to me now that deadline approaches" was the first piece of concrete suspicion I had against the snail. It felt like he was trying to distract me - he was probably actually trying to gauge my own reaction. At one point he asked how I felt about you and then - for one reason or another - believed I had said the opposite. We did not talk very much about the game apart from initially landing in the chat and sharing that lovely "well well well..." moment with one another and that last hour before deadline. All it served to do was assure me of snail's towniness - a worthless fact the very next moment.

Imagine for a moment if you and I were in an unconfirmed masonry. You know me and I know you know me; I know you and you know I know you. Things aren't as fun with me and snail. I think that's enough on that.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Murmur Twin posted:

Just for the record right now I'm at

Probably scum: Snail
Null, possibly scum?: Pod, Hal, B-
Null, but leaning town: Nat20, Wren, pera, OMG
Town: me

tho also pssst what changed?

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

peramene posted:

I don't care for this situation. exactly four seems screwy. I have a wiggling sensation that there's something more about b-minus that's either relevant good or relevant bad -- I can't recall at the moment and also don't have time now (see ya'll in the california morning) but it was a part of a night action mafia post. something about visitors and nobody dying at night etc.

lol are you implying that i deliberately posted less than the 5 post minimum?

there's nothing more to explain. im a restless townie who visisted omg n1, which omg confirmed while also claiming tracker. the reason i even mentioned watcher/tracker was because my role pm said that my movement would be seen by either of those two roles (which should be obvious, but i guess i felt it was worth mentioning when i made that post).

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

hexwren posted:

It's because the person immediately after it edited it in their quote of the original post with an ellipsis so it read "as long as I get to kill, I'm happy"in order to throw shade. It's completely not a thing worth looking at.

so let's agree to set aside the entire first half of day 1 between us - this is inaccurate and intentionally obfuscated.

hexwren posted:

My main suspicions at the moment are snail (reactive, minimal posting) 20 (gimmickposting, specifically gimmickposting where they say one thing and then immediately contradict it, resulting in them saying nothing useful at all) and pera (ignoring the trouble earlier, the most recent posts of "actually, let's try and game this perfectly normal mafia game's lurker rules, that's a good thing to do" are setting of alarms like crazy.)

so let's review:
- town and directly linked to me
- someone who may very well have a PR which either hasn't occurred to you or you are trying to hide in-between
- me, for 100% completely inaccurate how-could-you-even misinterpretation of my posting throughout
[/quote]

And your call was to vote snail. "Alarms like crazy", "minimal [reactive] posting", "gimmick": snail. Assuming brazenly overconfident wren: you were wrong, admit to yourself that you can be wrong; assuming scum wren: your fangs are showing.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

peramene posted:

tho also pssst what changed?

I went back and re-read people after Snail flipped town. Didn't you? :j:

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

b-minus1 posted:

lol are you implying that i deliberately posted less than the 5 post minimum?

there's nothing more to explain. im a restless townie who visisted omg n1, which omg confirmed while also claiming tracker. the reason i even mentioned watcher/tracker was because my role pm said that my movement would be seen by either of those two roles (which should be obvious, but i guess i felt it was worth mentioning when i made that post).

I am directly stating, not implying, that it is a possible thing to consider.

Have you been hit every single night?

"There's nothing more to explain" is also very suspicious, but I feel like everyone is suspicious of you and I'd much rather rip wren apart at the moment so excuse me, but the whole misuse of 'implying' when no, no, I'm saying, I'm explicitly saying that it's worth considering, oh my god - I'm sorry, it's just a pet peeve. I'm a historian. I have no socially appropriate excuse. But UGH!!!!

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

peramene posted:

Regarding snail:
I 'fessed to our masonry straight up because I wanted it to be known that it was unconfirmed. I wanted to identify that I had something of a "power" / distinctive element to my role that was not an explicit threat to town - the OP warns against making assumptions regarding roles and it has never been my practice to do so simply because it's just dumb. As a scum tactic,, I could see "yeah well we had a confirmed masonry" being an incredibly easy lie to tell. I wanted to get that power out of snail's hands and measure his reaction. He didn't flinch.

The bolded is something that a town player would just assume was a given (that their power is not a threat to town), but a scum player would stop and think about.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

peramene posted:

:glomp: punk rear end!!!!

Haha I can only be me :j: Sorry you rolled scum :glomp:

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

peramene posted:

I am directly stating, not implying, that it is a possible thing to consider.

Have you been hit every single night?

"There's nothing more to explain" is also very suspicious, but I feel like everyone is suspicious of you and I'd much rather rip wren apart at the moment so excuse me, but the whole misuse of 'implying' when no, no, I'm saying, I'm explicitly saying that it's worth considering, oh my god - I'm sorry, it's just a pet peeve. I'm a historian. I have no socially appropriate excuse. But UGH!!!!

yeah I think so. whoops. though i thought i hit the minimum requirement on the first day, i guess not

By 'nothing more to explain' I mean I have fullclaimed every part of my role and its abilities;there's nothing I have omitted. visit one player each night, and my visit can be seen by a tracker/watcher.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

hexwren posted:

anti town garbage

remember this

insult

hexwren posted:

why are you tying my name to a vote I wasn't specifically considering

mischaracterization or misunderstanding

hexwren posted:

I feel pera is trying too hard to obfuscate, even ignoring the first half of day 1, basically any of her posts as the rest of us are coming to deadline and trying to hash out a reasonable path read as "I have nothing to say, so I'll manufacture content that has nothing to do with the vote"

Even close to deadline, I feel this is a super-"gotcha" post and I don't like it. This is the second time in the first day you've called me out for supposedly being hammer-averse, and it's really disingenuous to act like me not bending over backwards to justify "they don't feel guilty to me" as not being equivalent to not justifying "I'm being impulsive and hammering." This is a huge shade-throw and a totally scummy way to hammerpost.

In one hand; and then the other.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

it was actually sloppy and impulsive, because i’m town and in the running

hexwren posted:

I'm not trying to get anyone riled up. These posts are garbage:

• That was the exact opposite of a smooth as gently caress play, they even said so.
  • Completely irrelevant, we're in the middle of working on day one, trying to set chains is anti-town.
  • what
  • Irrelevant, you were playing with the voting system going round-robin and people didn't get what you were doing. This was them throwing out a vote and seeing if anyone bit when there were actual arguments on the table, then recanting the vote. It was nothing like what you were doing.
  • Unless you were doing something else...trying to obfuscate your day one activity by playing with the flavor instead of playing Mafia?
  • Double-town unconfirmed masonry is mathematically more likely than anything, fairly common, and as I've pointed out already, you haven't been analyzing at all.

• Yeah, afterwards. Are you reading the thread in reverse chronological order?
  • Trying to set up a chain... on myself? I have to assume you're just criticizing my posting again because if you're seriously suggesting the former, good lord.
  • insult
  • I am referring to Podima unvoting in the last few minutes. I have no idea why you don't get that I what you've misunderstood and are criticizing was me testing. In this, the test chamber. Where Votefinder is "behaving funny" because we are testing. Votefinder said to vote. First I tried three votes. Then I tried a vote per person. I can understand you not getting that, but I don't believe you asked, so I don't care either.
  • insult
  • insult and literally contradicting something I'm agreeing on with Pod that is suspicion-generating against me because I wanted to openly consider the idea in transparency. In a role I've never had before. In the test chamber. In the game. You also presume the unstated is the unthought which I just won't even entertain further. Show me a day 1 within the last year that was entirely explicitly analytical and I don't have a second half of this sentence because it's a joke, you can't, you're holding my posting to an imaginary standard.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Murmur Twin posted:

Sorry you rolled scum :glomp:

players other than MMT......

dont read this
Post-game? This is when I became convinced you were scum. You've said this to me three times and every time you've turned out scum. <3

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Murmur Twin posted:

The bolded is something that a town player would just assume was a given (that their power is not a threat to town), but a scum player would stop and think about.

I would however argue that this is an "other people" vs. "a peramene" thing and also that you would know that~~~~

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

hexwren posted:

"pointless but participatory" is a fancy way to say "anti-town."

either make your case or don't, and so far your case appears to be "wren's suspicious of me because I keep making this about things other than who's scum and who's not."

in fact, look at this right here. here I am responding to a post where you're trying to make it about the posting requirement, instead of about the game.

play the game or stop posting.

No, it isn't. The case I'm presenting here is that you've been laser-focused on me the entire game up-to-and-including your snail vote, that while you've also been acerbic towards Podima you've just been straight up talking poo poo about me without engaging in my questions or my thoughts ("there haven't been any" - then you aren't reading the thread)

The posting requirement is part of the game. One that I am cognizant and self-conscious of, because I prefer to write long than many, and minimum post quotas always make me nervous. That you have failed to meet it and that your posts have accomplished what they've accomplished now drives me to openly challenge every single player to just read your post history without my commentary above and analyze your play for themselves.

This is just for you:

Again, in case I wasn't clear enough the first time: you do not get to tell me what to do. Ever. I don't care whether it's our perceived maturity gap, our relationship, you just throwing your weight around, you just being an rear end in a top hat, you trying to look firm, sexism, or what, and I don't care. Do not. Ever again. Dictate my behavior. Ecco likes to criticize how I play as sub-optimal. I'm not interested in being optimal and I find her attitude offensive to my sensibilities. But the above remark has nothing to do with my posting, and if you are scum, you are going too far, and this is the last thing resembling a warning I'm giving you.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

meanwhile

b, you see how scummy the fact of it and addressing it like this is, right?

alright, that's my morning. There isn't currently a vote-deadline declared (which does not mean there isn't one) but the postcount refresh is 10pE which is 7pP (thank you sweetheart) so I'm gonna go ahead and just explicitly say I'm not moving my vote until then and I'm not sure if I'll even check in before then regardless.

from scummiest to towniest as much as a spectrum is possible:
wren (see above)
b-minus1 (see above)
MMT (see above)
OMGVBFLOL (various, revolving sus from day1)
Nat20 (various, fun gimmick - possibly a PR*)
Podima (no cause)
Hal (no cause)

lates <3

*Nat20 if your very fun gimmick is a very fun gimmick, would you kindly break it to demonstrate it is not a PR? Otherwise I'll be moving forward assuming it is. <3

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
^^ I also don't have an explanation for it. not trying to be obtuse, just honest: I didn't meet the minimum posting requirement, and as a result I have a hated stack. It was not intentional and I do not have a post restriction.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
in hindsight I should have voted d1, but I felt genuinely bad throwing out a vote without reading the thread. You could argue that I am scum and knew that snail was town so I purposely avoided joining a town lynch wagon. you could also argue that I visited omg as scum and not restless townie. I have no evidence to counter those arguments. So it's up to you all to decide whether o not I'm lying.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

peramene posted:

Again, in case I wasn't clear enough the first time: you do not get to tell me what to do. Ever. I don't care whether it's our perceived maturity gap, our relationship, you just throwing your weight around, you just being an rear end in a top hat, you trying to look firm, sexism, or what, and I don't care. Do not. Ever again. Dictate my behavior. Ecco likes to criticize how I play as sub-optimal. I'm not interested in being optimal and I find her attitude offensive to my sensibilities. But the above remark has nothing to do with my posting, and if you are scum, you are going too far, and this is the last thing resembling a warning I'm giving you.

pera, this is getting unnecessarily personal. I'm just playing the game here. You're seeing a lot of malice in my posting that's simply not there. If we can't play games together, that's fine, but I don't feel it's appropriate to use these posts as a venue to discuss these issues. If you're using this as leverage to get my vote off you, I also think that's fairly unpleasant and would rather not engage with that.

Either way, it's clear that something is non-functional and I'm not comfortable with it.

##vote hexwren

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Peace.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

also

town watcher, 20 visited pod night one

plz dunk me and then move on

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

(unbookmarked)

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
dude, what the hell

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
you literally had one vote (pera) and an anonymous vote (hate stack). why are you giving up

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

hexwren posted:

also

town watcher, 20 visited pod night one

plz dunk me and then move on

:psyboom:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That was a poo poo meltdown that outed townie power roles for no reason. Why wouldn't you just replace out (again) instead of torpedoing the game for your side on your way out?

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

Podima posted:

That was a poo poo meltdown that outed townie power roles for no reason. Why wouldn't you just replace out (again) instead of torpedoing the game for your side on your way out?

i wouldn't say it was a torpedo.

also, what do you mean by "for your side"? he claimed a town role...

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
please hold

no posts no votes i'm doing a thing

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Welp

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
As voices are raised, one of your group starts looking around wildly for an exit. He throws himself at the window, but instead of breaking, the glass...ripples, and he's gone. You're not sure where he went - in fact, you're not even sure who he was at the end of the day.

hexwren, ???? ?????, ???? ???? has been removed from the game by mod fiat.

Please save any discussion for postgame. Day 2 continues.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 2

b-minus1 (1): Anonymous
peramene (1): Murmur Twin

Not Voting (6): b-minus1, Hal Incandenza, Natural 20, OMGVBFLOL, peramene, Podima

There are 7 players alive. It will take 4 votes to remove a player from testing. There is currently no scheduled break time from the test.

The next postcount requirement is 5. The next postcount deadline is at 12/12/17, 10:00 pm US/Eastern.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
smh

well, we have some new information. natural 20 visited pod n1.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
hey so uh, nat 20 and pod, what you say

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

votefinder posted:

Something's tickling me. Why? How? Get out of my head GET OUT OF MY HEAD

Podima posted:

Other players: don't be distracted by this, it's a puzzle for determining tomorrow's flavor that I already solved. I'll post the details later today, but I want others to have a chance to properly solve first.

Pod - can you explain the puzzle that you figured out?

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
update:

b-minus1 - claimed restless townie, visited omg n1
OMGVBFLOL - claimed tracker, tracked bminus to omg n1
peramene - claimed unconfirmed mason partner to sentimental snail
sentimental snail - confirmed town mason, lynched d1
hexwren - claimed town watcher, n1 saw natural 20 visit podima, ragequit d2

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Work meetings for rest of day but will post more tonight.

Nat20 should not claim unless he has actionable results to share.

The puzzle was a flavor puzzle to determine tomorrow's flavor - there's an URL embedded in that image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

watcher means he would have seen everyone who visited podima, right?

• Locked thread