Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Apparently my game clock kept counting with the system in sleep mode (and sleeping from the system menu not in game) so instead of being 40-some hours in game my game clock is now just a bit under 70 hours. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

Evil Fluffy posted:

Apparently my game clock kept counting with the system in sleep mode (and sleeping from the system menu not in game) so instead of being 40-some hours in game my game clock is now just a bit under 70 hours. :psyduck:

Okay that explains it. I have "61 hours" but I've had the game for a week. There was no way in hell I've played the game longer than I've worked.

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

Couple of dumb questions i haven’t found an answer for:

If you overdrive a blade to another party member, does it reset their affinity and stuff?

How limited are the pouch expansion things? When/if i ever get more, should i spread them around or just pile them on Rex (if i can?)

I saw someone mention you can move while auto attacking to charge specials faster. How does that work... just shuffle a bit to cancel the animation, i guess? Do you do it after the first
hit in the combo, or the third?

Evil Fluffy posted:

I had the same thing happen... was like halfway through chapter 2, noticed my save said I was 60+ hours in.

I have no idea how it happened though? I was thinking I might be able to use it to knock out some longer merc missions, but I can’t seem to make it do that again. Tried putting it to sleep from in game and the system menu, docked and undocked, no luck.

Maybe it’s when the switch goes into sleep mode on its own?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Evil Fluffy posted:

I had this happen exactly once and it was like the first day I played. Haven't had it happen since - I was kind of wondering if the 1.1 patch fixed it but I guess not!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

CORN NOG posted:

I saw someone mention you can move while auto attacking to charge specials faster. How does that work... just shuffle a bit to cancel the animation, i guess? Do you do it after the first

Yeah once the hit registers, just move the left stick slightly and immediately let go so your character cancels the animation and restarts the auto attack. I do it with just the first attack so it's hit->move->hit->move->hit->move->etc. until my specials are charged. It's saved my rear end when I desperately needed healing or if I wanted to use a higher level Special before the timer depleted.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

CORN NOG posted:

Couple of dumb questions i haven’t found an answer for:

If you overdrive a blade to another party member, does it reset their affinity and stuff?

How limited are the pouch expansion things? When/if i ever get more, should i spread them around or just pile them on Rex (if i can?)

Affinity and stuff does not reset when you overdrive.

You can only use one pouch expansion per character, so I assume there's exactly enough in the game to expand everyone to two slots.

Yeah, you just shuffle immediately after the first hit to reset the animation.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

IcePhoenix posted:

You can only use one pouch expansion per character, so I assume there's exactly enough in the game to expand everyone to two slots.
According to that spreadsheet someone linked earlier (for Agate, but it's got all kinds of info) you are correct

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HKkPoCbW0oO1JzV-hx21ueZMIjmWdboVh3vgSrlEwj4/htmlview?sle=true is that spreadsheet

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

A pro tip for the field skill checks in the late game, if you haven't found it out yourself:

Since Rex can equip other drivers' blades, instead of being minus one potential field skill check on a useless primary blade (e.g. Brighid not having an ice skill), as long as they're not in the primary/top slot, you can move them to Rex, and then replace them with the one you want, while freeing up their original slot on their regular driver since they don't have to actually be assigned onto them at that point. Basically gives you an extra three potential slots that way which makes most things easy to pass by jamming in a ton of +1 commons' field skills.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

abraxas posted:

I asked this a couple of pages back but didn't really get a very in-depth answer. Do we or does anyone have a (at least somewhat) comprehensive list of rare blades you can get without having to play the Gacha game? I'm talking about all the sidequest/story/store bought cores/blades the game has.. I'm basically trying to compile a list of every rare core/blade I can get without having to play the Gacha game, preferably with location/pre-reqs and maybe even which chapter you can get them in the earliest and all that jive. I know a couple of them but apparently there's one for a sidequest about core thieves that I've heard vague talks about here or there, and apparently there is also one you can fish up from a salvage spot if you buy the right thingie from an informant or something? You guys need to be more specific! :v:

Praxis and Theory from mid/late-game quests. The first one requires Ch. 5 and is undoable while you don't have your 4th party member present. The second part requires that you've done the first and is available some time towards the end of the game. Then there's Herald from a quest in Theosoir. I haven't gotten this one myself, just heard about it so I don't know what the triggers are.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm actually making a google doc during downtime at work right now because I want a better resource for just acquiring blades than what I've found so far :v:

ok, here's what I have so far for my blade checklist. If anyone thinks there's more stuff that I should add let me know. I was doing the weapon stuff off of memory so please don't spam the thread telling me who has what, I'll finish it later.

For now, I want to get info on how to acquire and finish the sidequests for those blades. And maybe add some pretty colors.

e: advice is still welcome, though

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 12, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

IcePhoenix posted:

e: advice is still welcome, though
Praxis's sidequest doesn't start until you've bought the rumor about Core Crystal thieves from an informant, might be worth noting that

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I was opening a bunch of cores yesterday and got 2 rare blades for my trouble. One was polar bear girl and the other was a titty monster, both ice healers. I was previously having good luck with getting blades on the right characters (I previously rolled both Godfrey and Electra on the tank), but rolled both of these on an attacker. I overdrived the polar bear girl, though I have no idea if she's better than titty monster. I have one overdrive left, and from what I read it might be the last one available aside from the ones you supposedly can get from maxing rare blade affinity charts (which probably won't be possible until near the end of the game). I'm going to save it, since the only two blades I have that would need it are Perun (ice attacker) on the tank and the aforementioned titty monster. Everyone already has enough rates to fill their rosters and cover all elements (except light if I don't use Rex and earth if I don't use the Attacker).

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

CORN NOG posted:

As already mentioned, no it doesn't.

Just be aware that so far there are only EIGHT overdrives in the entire game that have been discovered - and five of them are tied to maxing out a playable character's SP affinity so most of those you won't get until decently far into the post game.

I used two early on and boy do I regret it.

Edit: oh and I wouldn't bother getting super serious about farming rare cores. There's enough guaranteed rare blades to form a strong party and you'll collect plenty of rare cores just by playing. Late game its pretty easy to farm legendary cores off chain attacks, and that's probably when you'll want to catch em all anyways.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Leathal posted:

As already mentioned, no it doesn't.

Just be aware that so far there are only EIGHT overdrives in the entire game that have been discovered - and five of them are tied to maxing out a playable character's SP affinity so most of those you won't get until decently far into the post game.

I used two early on and boy do I regret it.

Edit: oh and I wouldn't bother getting super serious about farming rare cores. There's enough guaranteed rare blades to form a strong party and you'll collect plenty of rare cores just by playing. Late game its pretty easy to farm legendary cores off chain attacks, and that's probably when you'll want to catch em all anyways.

Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea at all.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I'm sure they'll add a method to either grind Overdrives or eliminate it, but unfortunately it will be in 3 months after I finish the game.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea at all.

It's for thematic reasons since they make a big todo about blades being with their person until death

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Wonder if they were intended to be microtransactions given their rarity. Wouldn't be surprised.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

You can grind overdrives but it's real slow (fill out a 4-star's affinity chart and release it).

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
People mentioned that if you release a trust S four star blade you get an overdrive.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
4 star commons are rare as gently caress though so...

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Does this game have multiple sections where you're stuck without a third party member or was the Factory the exception. Mostly wondering if I should put this tank blade on Rex or not just for another situation like that or give her to my tank.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Yes there's another section like that but you're given a tank blade

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Tank blades are worthless in 2 person sections anyways. You just have to burst enemies down ASAP, going tank consigns you to an agonizingly drawn out bullshit fight.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

brand engager posted:

You can grind overdrives but it's real slow (fill out a 4-star's affinity chart and release it).

Is this confirmed? I saw someone mention it was a rumor, but maybe that's just in reference to maxing rare blade affinity? If true, it's nice to know; even though 4* are rare, it's at least some way to get more. I also don't anticipate needing more than 8 or so overdrives even in the worst case scenario. (As is I'm going through all this trouble to look up a list of rare blades and calculate the class with the highest chance of dropping and rolling on that character.)

It sucks either way. I guess on the upside you can still do a blade's quests and stuff even if they're not on a character of the matching class, and getting everyone a full party of rares of the appropriate classes that cover all elements is actually pretty easy, especially given the guaranteed quest rares.

Having healers on an attacker blade also isn't that bad, since the worst case result is moderately reduced damage temporarily in exchange for healing. Same also possibly goes for tanks on an attacker, as long as the "actual" tank is set up in such a way that you don't risk actually pulling aggro from them.

I wish characters could switch out their "starting" blades. It would make it easier to grind affinity, since I'll end up in situations where the "main" blade is maxed for the time being.

By the way, what do some of the unique blade skills do? Like Godfrey's, for example. Or Adenine's "extra-ancient wisdom." Do they just act as alternatives to other skills?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Praxis's sidequest doesn't start until you've bought the rumor about Core Crystal thieves from an informant, might be worth noting that

I am going to be putting guides in a different tab for the sidequests, so I'll include that, thanks

Ytlaya posted:

By the way, what do some of the unique blade skills do? Like Godfrey's, for example. Or Adenine's "extra-ancient wisdom." Do they just act as alternatives to other skills?

It seems so far that they only matter for merc missions and the blade's sidequest.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 12, 2017

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Your characters moving absurdly slow in combat seems at odds with the whole potion system considering how far flung they can go.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Your characters moving absurdly slow in combat seems at odds with the whole potion system considering how far flung they can go.

You can move full speed while casting a Blade Art, that's potion grabbing time.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

IcePhoenix posted:

It seems so far that they only matter for merc missions and the blade's sidequest.
Yeah, they don't "do" anything (hell, they don't even apply for thematically similar field skills - Azami's Eye skill doesn't count as levels of Keen Eye and so on) except give you some "bonus" speedup options on merc missions

oh by the way that's what those nonmandatory skils on merc missions are for, they make you start with less time on the clock if you bring more of them

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Sidequests not ticking down in sleep time like the village in Bravely Default for the 3DS is so goddamn annoying. There's like 2 billion merc sidequests, there's not enough time.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Bland posted:

You can move full speed while casting a Blade Art, that's potion grabbing time.

Huh. Never noticed you could move during that. Well that helps things a bit but doesn't help the AI constantly running around gathering them instead of attacking or using arts sometimes.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Tae posted:

Sidequests not ticking down in sleep time like the village in Bravely Default for the 3DS is so goddamn annoying. There's like 2 billion merc sidequests, there's not enough time.

The only ones you should care about are pink. Everything is else is a repeatable for generic rewards.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I would kill for a phone app or something that let me do merc missions through it like EA had for Mass Effect Strike Teams. There is no way Nintendo would be able to pull that off though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

You can move pretty fast once your in-battle affinity with your blades is high enough. A combination of a high affinity and casting a blade art means you can basically do a mad dash around the battlefield.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
You can do a lot with potions tbh

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Ohtsam posted:

The only ones you should care about are pink. Everything is else is a repeatable for generic rewards.

Wait the standard blue sidequests in every town are repeatable? That's cool

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Lobster Harmonica posted:

Wait the standard blue sidequests in every town are repeatable? That's cool

Merc missions.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

So I was opening a bunch of cores yesterday and got 2 rare blades for my trouble. One was polar bear girl and the other was a titty monster, both ice healers. I was previously having good luck with getting blades on the right characters (I previously rolled both Godfrey and Electra on the tank), but rolled both of these on an attacker. I overdrived the polar bear girl, though I have no idea if she's better than titty monster. I have one overdrive left, and from what I read it might be the last one available aside from the ones you supposedly can get from maxing rare blade affinity charts (which probably won't be possible until near the end of the game). I'm going to save it, since the only two blades I have that would need it are Perun (ice attacker) on the tank and the aforementioned titty monster. Everyone already has enough rates to fill their rosters and cover all elements (except light if I don't use Rex and earth if I don't use the Attacker).

Polar Bear Girl would be good except you have to have her spend a huge amount of time on merc missions rather than actually using her to level her up. Boob monster is good.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Moon Monster posted:

Polar Bear Girl would be good except you have to have her spend a huge amount of time on merc missions rather than actually using her to level her up. Boob monster is good.

Yeah Ursula is fantastic but she's never around because to do anything with her she has to be merc'n.

Boob monster is vanilla but has no weird gimmicks tied to her healing or skill tree

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Got the 4th party member, opened 5 cores and got 3 rares, one of them being some weird nopon thing whose skills I took to level 5 immediately. :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

U-DO Burger posted:

Got the 4th party member, opened 5 cores and got 3 rares, one of them being some weird nopon thing whose skills I took to level 5 immediately. :cool:

Yeah, that character seems to be extremely lucky with rolling rares.