Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

If you make a lot of transmitters and/or weather stations to buff them, they can put out a pretty stupid amount of RF/t. Supposedly they tank your TPS though.

any idea how many is safe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

any idea how many is safe?

Nope! I've never used em before.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Any one have the build for the tier 3 starlight altar? the book isnt much help.

I have a 7x sooty marble. then astral marble in the corners. then the brick surround.

Do i need blank marble under the pillars?..

is the final thing a 9x9?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Meskhenet posted:

Any one have the build for the tier 3 starlight altar? the book isnt much help.

I have a 7x sooty marble. then astral marble in the corners. then the brick surround.

Do i need blank marble under the pillars?..

is the final thing a 9x9?

Move the 3D model of the thing around in the book, make sure you are using the right blocks on the underneath and such.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

so why does everyone say the chaos guardian from draconic effortlution is so hard, i never have any problems killing at least the easy ones

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

so why does everyone say the chaos guardian from draconic effortlution is so hard, i never have any problems killing at least the easy ones

1. It moves around alot and throws ALOT of projectiles, all of which do tons of damage
2. You need to kill all the crystals before you can do damage to it.
3. it's been known to delete saves if you die to it.
4. you need heavily upgraded gear and some heavily upgraded capacitors.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SugarAddict posted:

1. It moves around alot and throws ALOT of projectiles, all of which do tons of damage
2. You need to kill all the crystals before you can do damage to it.
3. it's been known to delete saves if you die to it.
4. you need heavily upgraded gear and some heavily upgraded capacitors.

Yeah, it moves a lot, but so do you. And, yeah, you need upgraded gear -- that seems perfectly normal to me. I went in with a draconic bow and draconic armor fully upgraded to awakened tier, and orbited around the arena strafing the crystals and occasionally pulsing the sprint button to stay ahead of the projectiles.

I dunno, I just don't find it that challenging. Maybe I'm weird.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Maybe I'm weird.

you always seem to be at the bleeding edge of modpacks, you tell me

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Particularly hard, no. Time consuming, yes, and made to be even moreso when you have to farm what should really, REALLY be a oneoff setpiece. The fact that even the base mod encourages you to do have to do it more than once without making the shards a renewable/automateable resource is just stupendously bad. It's a cool fight that lots of packs seem determined to ruin by forcing you to farm it to follow their endgame progression.

4 or 5 times for the base mod DE reactor isn't that awful now that they're not bugged to hell and back, but having to kill them the dozens (or hundreds, in MS2's original progression tuning version) of times that some packs think is a good idea for a resource that gets slower to acquire, not faster as you advance is some seriously borked design.

Also, the design paradigm of having to farm them at all gets magnified and becomes a hundred times more hosed up if you ever try to do it on a large server where, god forbid, more than one player might need to do it in the same End.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 13, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

you always seem to be at the bleeding edge of modpacks, you tell me

It just means I like to stick with it okay??? :saddowns:

Toadsmash posted:

Also, the design paradigm of having to farm them at all gets magnified and becomes a hundred times more hosed up if you ever try to do it on a large server where, god forbid, more than one player might need to do it in the same End.

Yeah, I always play this poo poo single player. I already have performance issues in single player -- I can't imagine doing it when I gotta share the server with a bunch of other nerds.

At least in MSB2, you can farm chaos shards by killing lots and lots and lots of regular rear end dragons. It's more renewable than Chaos Guardians for sure when you have a dragon age or reliable nether star farm.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

But hey to double down on things, I did finally figure out how to make the master alloy smelter work. My problem was the energy input block -- it was too wimpy. Since the recipe is defined as needing all the energy up front in a single tick, the energy input block has to be able to hold that much energy inside of it for the machine to realize that it can work. I had to burn another stack and change of awakened draconium ingots to grunt that one out :v:

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Any tips for getting more power to my starlight altar?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Meskhenet posted:

Any tips for getting more power to my starlight altar?

Make a Resonator, hold it at night and look for a sparkly blue fog on the ground. The denser that is, the stronger the starlight in that spot. You'll want to built your altar there for maximum starlight. However, you can boost your starlight input by building Spectral Relays around the altar, which are detailed in the manual. You can have a bunch of them around an altar but they have diminishing returns if you place too many.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, I always play this poo poo single player. I already have performance issues in single player -- I can't imagine doing it when I gotta share the server with a bunch of other nerds.

Your performance should actually be better when you're on a server since you're not running both the server and the client on the same PC. Sometimes I run a server on my laptop and play on there when I'm playing a particularly massive modpack, and it helps.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone tried out Project Ozone Lite? Is it any good? What sort of cool new features would these mods have being 1.10 instead of 1.7.10?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Is it me or is the embers book a waste of time?

Im trying to make adhesive (for empowering) All the book tells me is that slimes are too rare so we can make an adhesive. And that is all.

no explaination, nothing.

I have the exchange table, and no idea how to work it. (i have the 5 pillars too)

Im all for progression, but not explaining how poo poo works is lazy.

Then i have to jump through a 20 minute youtube to find the 15 seconds of information i need

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

You may have to jump around sections a bit, but it's all there. It's just not organized very well. I'd try to be more helpful, but I'm half asleep writing this and I haven't done Embers in awhile. I remember figuring it out most of the way with the book, but I constantly screwed up the machine orientation with regard to which end gets piping and which gets ember. You can connect them to top half and bottom half regardless of which one that section of the machine is actually capable of accepting.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Toadsmash posted:

You may have to jump around sections a bit, but it's all there. It's just not organized very well. I'd try to be more helpful, but I'm half asleep writing this and I haven't done Embers in awhile. I remember figuring it out most of the way with the book, but I constantly screwed up the machine orientation with regard to which end gets piping and which gets ember. You can connect them to top half and bottom half regardless of which one that section of the machine is actually capable of accepting.

Of all the mods in the pack, embers is probably my least fav.
I still have no idea how to actually get anything other than the booby prize when doing the alchemy.

If the adhesive is all that is needed, thats easy to get the mats for and then gamemode 1 it in.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

Of all the mods in the pack, embers is probably my least fav.
I still have no idea how to actually get anything other than the booby prize when doing the alchemy.

If the adhesive is all that is needed, thats easy to get the mats for and then gamemode 1 it in.

Yeah, I struggled with this, too. The whole idea behind the alchemy stuff is that the correct number of the ash things is sort of hidden, and you need to engage in trial and error to find the right amount. IIRC adhesive can be between 13 and 18 of the ash stuff. What you do is put in the minimum and try it. If it fails, it'll eject the booby prize. Mouse over the alchemical waste and it'll give you a number representing how far off you are. Add that number to the minimum and try it again.

I think that'll work every time, but if it doesn't, you can always just try every number in the range.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Im trying to set up my void ore miner. When i right click the block with the builder all i get is

Direction -1

??? what is that mean?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

Im trying to set up my void ore miner. When i right click the block with the builder all i get is

Direction -1

??? what is that mean?

Left click on it to get a bill of additional materials. Once you've collected them, you can use the assembler to place them properly. Make sure the void miner has a clear path to the void and plenty of space underneath to build the multiblock.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Left click on it to get a bill of additional materials. Once you've collected them, you can use the assembler to place them properly. Make sure the void miner has a clear path to the void and plenty of space underneath to build the multiblock.

That might mean that the platform i built under it is blocking it.

And for MSB2 can someone walk me through what i need to do with bees?

seems i need the propolis and ive got stacks of bees, but only a tropical drone, no princess.

Meskhenet fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 16, 2017

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Meskhenet posted:

That might mean that the platform i built under it is blocking it.

seems i need the propolis and ive got stacks of bees, but only a tropical drone, no princess.

Well if you're not terribly unlucky you could breed the Tropical gene into a spare queen. Crossbreed it first then keep breeding Tropical into it until you get a purebred pair. It's possible to lose the Tropical gene by doing this though.

There's probably a better way, since it's a skyblock.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

This is for empowered void crystals, right? You can skip bees entirely if you take an Immersive Engineering core sample drill and check the chunks around your base for an oil reservoir. Pump it with the Immersive Petroleum pumpjack and refine it in its refinery, and one of the byproducts is Bitumen, which can be used in place of the propolis-needing peat thing for empowered void crystals.

If you would rather do bees than that, breed up the Industrious bee. You can do this from basically any pair of starting types of bee.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
I want to play MSB2, but can anyone tell me what mods I can trim to get the size down a bit? I'm thinking cosmetic things, mostly, like Hats, Better than bunnies, etc.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

All the iChun mods

Those aren't the RAM hogs, though. You're going to have a hard time trimming the RAM requirement down without breaking the progression. Ztones is another pure decorative, but it's pretty memory efficient. Pack is just bloated.

Unless you plan on playing kitchen sink mode, in which case you can gut whatever the hell you want

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Toadsmash posted:

All the iChun mods

Those aren't the RAM hogs, though. You're going to have a hard time trimming the RAM requirement down without breaking the progression. Ztones is another pure decorative, but it's pretty memory efficient. Pack is just bloated.

Unless you plan on playing kitchen sink mode, in which case you can gut whatever the hell you want

Ah thanks. I have 16 GB on my desktop and 5 dedicated to minecraft, but I can only barely maintain 60 fps at 10 chunks. Just enough to get tearing and stuttering. Bothers the heck outta me lol. Maybe I should just find a smaller pack.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

central dogma posted:

Ah thanks. I have 16 GB on my desktop and 5 dedicated to minecraft, but I can only barely maintain 60 fps at 10 chunks. Just enough to get tearing and stuttering. Bothers the heck outta me lol. Maybe I should just find a smaller pack.

Do you have mipmaps turned off?

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Do you have mipmaps turned off?

Yeah. I turned graphics to fast and that seems to help. I can live without translucent leaves.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I broke a chance cube in the mining dimension, now it's stuck in night. Anyone know how to get it back to permaday?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

sharktamer posted:

I broke a chance cube in the mining dimension, now it's stuck in night. Anyone know how to get it back to permaday?

Is there Draconic Evolution in the pack? Cheat in a celestial manipulator and see if you can use that to forcibly turn it back into day.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

central dogma posted:

Twice I've tried that pack and twice I've had to give up on it due to random crashes getting increasingly frequent as time goes on.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

This is for empowered void crystals, right? You can skip bees entirely if you take an Immersive Engineering core sample drill and check the chunks around your base for an oil reservoir. Pump it with the Immersive Petroleum pumpjack and refine it in its refinery, and one of the byproducts is Bitumen, which can be used in place of the propolis-needing peat thing for empowered void crystals.

If you would rather do bees than that, breed up the Industrious bee. You can do this from basically any pair of starting types of bee.

Ohh yeah, that sounds doable too.

I may have a look at industrious bees. Though i have no idea about breeding and even though the pack has gendustry in it, there is no help.

central dogma posted:

I recently changed my computer. Went from the original i7 (860 is think) to a new i7 (7700 or something i already cant remember) while keeping 16gb ram.

Before i was stuttering and getting down to 10fps. now im in 59-61. It isnt the ram, its the cpu.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

I may have a look at industrious bees. Though i have no idea about breeding and even though the pack has gendustry in it, there is no help.

Bee breeding has full JEI support in MSB2. You should be able to determine which bees breed into which types.

IIRC, you do any two of the following: Forest, Meadows, Desert, Marshy, and whatever the base jungle one is to get a Common drone. Common plus one of those base varieties -> Cultivated. Common + Cultivated = Diligent (and whatever the ones are for the Noble line.) Diligent + Cultivated = Unweary, Diligent + Unweary = Industrious.

Diligent should also make propolis too. Frankly, I just got 100 stacks of Bitumen by letting a pumpjack/refinery run a lot and then shut it off forever.

You also need to breed a Sinister bee to get the wax you need for a Resonator, if you want to upgrade your Thermal Expansion poo poo at all.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I got embittered for the wax for the resonator. but i still dont have magic wax to actually unlock the quest for it....

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You don't need magic wax, you just need to make a Bee House IIRC.

I built the initial Applied Energistics storage and boy has that consolidated my chests in MS2. It should be an easy avenue for me to avoid my most hated bit of packs like these, the numerous intermediate steps to craft a wanted product. Also wanted to get into Environmental Miner poo poo (because not relying on rock washing sounds great) but 9 Empowered Void Crystal Blocks is far beyond my reach, having only empowered Palis Crystal. :sigh:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Sage Grimm posted:

You don't need magic wax, you just need to make a Bee House IIRC.

It's an (inexplicable) requirement to complete the quest in the quest book that's a prereq for the Resonator quest. It's dumb and stupid and you don't need magic wax for anything and the dumb comb it comes from has like a 20% chance of even making any.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

god drat do i hate bees

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Is there Draconic Evolution in the pack? Cheat in a celestial manipulator and see if you can use that to forcibly turn it back into day.

Oh, just re-entering did the job, unless something else I did fixed it. Thought I tried that, oh well :shrug:.

Next question, I'm trying to make crossbow bolts for tinkers, I made the manyullun arrow shaft, now I'm trying to pour mekanism refined glowstone onto it but nothing is happening. Am I missing something else in the process?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

sharktamer posted:

Oh, just re-entering did the job, unless something else I did fixed it. Thought I tried that, oh well :shrug:.

Next question, I'm trying to make crossbow bolts for tinkers, I made the manyullun arrow shaft, now I'm trying to pour mekanism refined glowstone onto it but nothing is happening. Am I missing something else in the process?
In every pack I've played, bolts are made by pouring onto tool rods, not arrow shafts.