Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Honj Steak posted:

Don’t get a mouse, MacBooks are insanely good to operate with the trackpad and carrying around a mouse is really not necessary.

Not empty quoting.

The trackpad IMO is the best on the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

nervana posted:

So finally going to bite the bullet and buy a 13 inch non-TB MBP. What mouse and case does everybody use and what USB-C to USB 3.0 dongle should I get? The official Apple one?

Is the magic mouse Bluetooth? Might be worth it if it allows you to save on a valuable slot.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Verisimilidude posted:

Is the magic mouse Bluetooth? Might be worth it if it allows you to save on a valuable slot.

It is. But I prefer the Logitech master MX. It’s highly customizeable, very comfortable and just plain good. That said, the trackpad is excellent too.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
I'll give it a shot with the trackpad, seeing how everybody loves it so much, but I doubt I will be able to last without a mouse. I've heard good things about the MX Master, but I've also seen that there are problems with it, especially when using other BT devices?

Also what USB 3.0 dongles do you guys use?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

nervana posted:

I'll give it a shot with the trackpad, seeing how everybody loves it so much, but I doubt I will be able to last without a mouse. I've heard good things about the MX Master, but I've also seen that there are problems with it, especially when using other BT devices?

Also what USB 3.0 dongles do you guys use?

Don't hastily buy a mouse if you don't absolutely need one -- only thing I can think of it being perhaps more useful is with graphics work. These guys aren't blowing smoke about MacBook trackpads. Since they've gone to non-mechanical trackpads (2014?) the thing has become ultra responsive, and the gestures are excellent. The combo of keyboard shortcuts and a trackpad right next to the hand is great.

Oh and a case, just get whatever. I "splurged" on a Speck-brand case that cost something like $40 because I read that the cheapo Amazon ones were prone to breaking at the various hinges, but this one did the same thing. It still stays in place but a number of pieces have cracked and/or fallen off. Skins are also an option, dbrand sells good ones, but they'll run you as much as a case.

enojy fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 12, 2017

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Apple made a deal with the devil that let them make the best trackpads imaginable in exchange for being unable to ever make a good mouse.

Can’t speak for the new 15” touchpad though. It looks stupidly huge and I hear the palm rejection isn’t good enough.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

brap posted:

Can’t speak for the new 15” touchpad though. It looks stupidly huge and I hear the palm rejection isn’t good enough.
It's awesome. Stupidly huge trackpad is great. Palm rejection is perfect with tap-to-click off (default). With tap-to-click on it can get a little wonky.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Yup, I actually stopped using a mouse on my desktop as well and switched to a Magic Trackpad 2 with Jitouch just because it is a far better way to use macOS.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

brap posted:

Apple made a deal with the devil that let them make the best trackpads imaginable in exchange for being unable to ever make a good mouse.

Yeah I can speak to that. It’s great how big it is but yeah the palm rejection doesn’t work as good as it should. It’s not a deal breaker but it’s not perfect by any stretch.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
iMac Pro videos dropping: https://youtu.be/h-h5Mhlt6O0

Should be called iMac Casey Neistat wanna be

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Holky gently caress, no RAM expansion door! In other words, order RAM or die.

Headphone Jack and SD card slot, eh okay, can we have the SD card slot and HDMI port back on the rMBPs now?!

Still looks like you need to open it up with the pizza wheel cutter, VHB strips and all.

Four TB3 ports and four USB 3.0, cough 3.0 ports when the rest of the world is already on USB 3.1.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 12, 2017

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Binary Badger posted:

At least it starts at 32GB.... for $5k....

I’m sure they’ll sell more of these than they did of the Mac Pro trash can, but yeah... for that much money I’d expect upgradability

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Jealous Cow posted:

I’m sure they’ll sell more of these than they did of the Mac Pro trash can, but yeah... for that much money I’d expect upgradability

They'll probably sell just as many HiRise stands too, I've had people asking me for years 'you got a stand for the iMac?!' or seeing them stack up reams of paper/milk crates to prop it up.

I get this really bad feeling it *is* upgradeable, just not user-upgradeable.

DDR4 RAM, nice.

Horry poo poo, a 10-gigabit Ethernet port? Wonder what the controller is.. maybe it's an Intel NPU?

Hmm bigger Magic TrackPad 2 and black Magic Mouse 2.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 12, 2017

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Apple’s promotional images show full size DDR4 DIMMs in what look like standard sockets on the motherboard, so I figure in practice it’s going to come down to whether you feel like cracking open and reassembling your brand new iMac pro.

If so, and if Apple sticks to their standard RAM price gouging, I expect OWC is gonna offer an iMP RAM upgrade service. There’ll be room for them to undercut Apple’s RAM price and still make a profit.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

You mean this image?

Huh, haven't seen two fans in an iMac since the pre-2012 days (it used to be one for the CPU, one for the GPU, and one for the optical drive.

Still feels kinda dopey to put the exhaust right up against the 'foot,' though.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
haunted computer

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

It's gonna be haunted by technicians committing suicide if all that poo poo is mounted on the LCD.

I also have this uncomfortable feeling the SSD is gonna be soldered onto the logic board a la the 2016/2017 rMBPs, so it's not upgradeable either.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 13, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

Holky gently caress, no RAM expansion door! .

lmao

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Meanwhile, Apple quietly updated the firmware for Apple Airport Extreme / Time Capsules.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/12/12/apple-updates-airport-firmware-with-krack-vulnerability-fix

You have to launch Airport Utility, either the MacOS or the iOS version to apply the update; the update is said to patch both the KRACK vulnerability and also fix a memory corruption bug on the 802.11ac routers (probably a Broadcom bug).

It's Airport firmware v.7.7.9 for 802.11ac devices and 7.6.9 for 802.11n devices.

Do you realize that Apple's 802.11n Airport devices date back to February 2007? Hardware support for a 10 year old router, just wow.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 13, 2017

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Binary Badger posted:

Four TB3 ports and four USB 3.0, cough 3.0 ports when the rest of the world is already on USB 3.1.

The TB3/USB-C ports aren't usb 3.1?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Might be, pretty sure those USB A type ports are 3.0 only.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

Horry poo poo, a 10-gigabit Ethernet port? Wonder what the controller is.. maybe it's an Intel NPU?
I vaguely remember the new Xeons (or the chipset, whatever) has 10GbE support, and think I saw somewhere that it supports the relatively recent 2.5/5GbE standards.

Bob Morales posted:

The TB3/USB-C ports aren't usb 3.1?
TB3 by definition does 3.1 iirc. But yeah, that doesn’t mean anything as far as the USB-A ports go.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Tried shining a light into the screen to see if it's just the backlight that's not working. Nothing! Which leads me to believe the screen is just dead.

Anything else I can do to check this thing out before I bring it in to get repaired tomorrow? So far I've completely removed the screen and put it back in place, checking to make sure every connector is in correctly and securely, checked to see if it's just the backlight, and ran a check to see if the screen itself would be detected but it's not.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I can speak to that. It’s great how big it is but yeah the palm rejection doesn’t work as good as it should. It’s not a deal breaker but it’s not perfect by any stretch.

I've found it perfectly fine for me, but I'm a hover touch typist so I guess my personal style is perfect for it.

In any case turn off tap-click and the giant trackpad is great. One of the things you'd never really ask for but awesome about the machine.

Binary Badger posted:

Headphone Jack and SD card slot, eh okay, can we have the SD card slot and HDMI port back on the rMBPs now?!

Still looks like you need to open it up with the pizza wheel cutter, VHB strips and all.

What exactly are you looking for here? TB3 rides on top of USB 3.1 C gen 2. USB 3.1 gen 1 *is* USB 3.0.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I guess the point I was trying to make was why bother with Type A ports unless they were trying to avoid DongleGate again.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Verisimilidude posted:

Tried shining a light into the screen to see if it's just the backlight that's not working. Nothing! Which leads me to believe the screen is just dead.

Anything else I can do to check this thing out before I bring it in to get repaired tomorrow? So far I've completely removed the screen and put it back in place, checking to make sure every connector is in correctly and securely, checked to see if it's just the backlight, and ran a check to see if the screen itself would be detected but it's not.

Didja try plugging in an external monitor and then looking inside the Display control panel to see if the internal monitor registers?

It's also possible your GPU is fried..

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Binary Badger posted:

I guess the point I was trying to make was why bother with Type A ports unless they were trying to avoid DongleGate again.

They're not limited by space on an iMac form factor and the controller likely gives you those ports "for free" so why not have them?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Didja try plugging in an external monitor and then looking inside the Display control panel to see if the internal monitor registers?

It's also possible your GPU is fried..

Yeah, that was the first thing I tried. Nothing comes up when I look for additional monitors, only the tv it’s hooked up to at the moment.

I’m leaning more towards the screen being the issue, seeing as how it was perfectly functional before I dropped it. It seems more likely that the screen broke internally than the GPU breaking, especially since I get picture and full resolution on the external display.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Updated my AEBS 802.11ac to the latest firmware; no apparent changes in speed or connectivity. Now I just have to update some 4th and 5th generation stations for some clients.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Updated my AEBS 802.11ac to the latest firmware; no apparent changes in speed or connectivity.
Why would there be? It's just security fixes at this point.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Why would there be? It's just security fixes at this point.

With Apple lately I was slightly worried the update would gently caress up my airport somehow.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

You mean this image?

Huh, haven't seen two fans in an iMac since the pre-2012 days (it used to be one for the CPU, one for the GPU, and one for the optical drive.

Seems odd to blow the hot air down rather than up out the top.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

rally posted:

With Apple lately I was slightly worried the update would gently caress up my airport somehow.

Exactly this. Patch out KRACK but gently caress up NAT or something similar.

Perhaps it's the sound of Federighi's hair dryer distracting the coders but this poo poo of issuing 2-3 undocumented updates in a row and STILL loving up with constant console errors has gotta stop.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Binary Badger posted:

You mean this image?

ram is socketed but they couldn't put a door to access it in since it wouldn't be symmetrical. good going. what's the betting linustechtips tries to open one up and electrocutes himself?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Exactly this. Patch out KRACK but gently caress up NAT or something similar.

Perhaps it's the sound of Federighi's hair dryer distracting the coders but this poo poo of issuing 2-3 undocumented updates in a row and STILL loving up with constant console errors has gotta stop.

Contant console errors?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

MrBond posted:

Contant console errors?

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/307512/month-13-is-out-of-bounds

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/88417

https://robservatory.com/month-13-is-out-of-bounds/

https://mjtsai.com/blog/2017/12/06/month-13-is-out-of-bounds/

For some people it eventually brings down their machine.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

That's kind of funny. If you're not continuously watching console though I'm not sure this is what's bringing down a machine based on my understanding of how logging works.

If you *are* continuously watching console though, good luck with that.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Binary Badger posted:

Meanwhile, Apple quietly updated the firmware for Apple Airport Extreme / Time Capsules.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/12/12/apple-updates-airport-firmware-with-krack-vulnerability-fix

You have to launch Airport Utility, either the MacOS or the iOS version to apply the update; the update is said to patch both the KRACK vulnerability and also fix a memory corruption bug on the 802.11ac routers (probably a Broadcom bug).

It's Airport firmware v.7.7.9 for 802.11ac devices and 7.6.9 for 802.11n devices.

Do you realize that Apple's 802.11n Airport devices date back to February 2007? Hardware support for a 10 year old router, just wow.

This is amazing, and mine is probably getting close to that old and backing up every computer in this house on an old spinny hard drive. Eventually it will die though, or I'll want to take advantage of something faster than 802.11n. Are there recommendations for time capsule replacement now that Apple has discontinued these things?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

This is amazing, and mine is probably getting close to that old and backing up every computer in this house on an old spinny hard drive. Eventually it will die though, or I'll want to take advantage of something faster than 802.11n. Are there recommendations for time capsule replacement now that Apple has discontinued these things?

I'm still rocking the Monolith (AirPort Extreme-802.11ac) at home, but I got this for my bother last year and he's had zero complaints with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FB45SI4/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Thanks, I was thinking more along the lines of something that had a drive for backups built in. Maybe it's silly to combine these things in case one half dies/obsoletes or whatever, but I'm very very attached to my 'Just Works' Time Machine backup situation.