Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sogekihei
Jul 15, 2001
Haha cold blooded...real question, is there a best way to get points? I could imagine whatever is harder gets more but does it differentiate solo/duo/squad wins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/v1-11-patch-notes

Looks very promising. Really curious about that Sniper Rifle (PvE) and new Soldier. Really hoping it's a somewhat quick grind for legendary stuff from that event shop. Like 20 missions for a legendary weapon, 35 for a hero or something. And not some poo poo like 100 missions for a single legendary. I'm guessing they'll be fairly cheap though.

:10bux: that the new Outlander has its main perk (Farming Fragments via combat) as a squad bonus as well, so every Outlander can rejoice.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'm done with PVE until schematic XP becomes more readily available. Most of my guns I can only use with Jonesy when I'm doing stuff at an appropriate level.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

https://clips.twitch.tv/FragileOnerousBatteryDeIlluminati

Goddamn, that looks pretty powerful, especially for a sniper rifle.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
Nomad is a new character model but the Raider's already been in an event, I have a Raider Headhunter. It's not bad if you use a lot of shotguns, which I don't.

Some nice QoL upgrades this patch, but I hope they re-fix the lag and freezing that they fixed and then reintroduced the next patch. I've fallen off of my stairway to heaven a couple times when I've been looking for the objective and someone entered the game and froze everything for five seconds.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

MikeSevigny posted:

Nomad is a new character model but the Raider's already been in an event, I have a Raider Headhunter. It's not bad if you use a lot of shotguns, which I don't.

Some nice QoL upgrades this patch, but I hope they re-fix the lag and freezing that they fixed and then reintroduced the next patch. I've fallen off of my stairway to heaven a couple times when I've been looking for the objective and someone entered the game and froze everything for five seconds.

I'd be baffled if they haven't fixed it with this patch. Christmas is free money and free money runs away if it's still laggy as poo poo.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

50v50 wins don't count

Yeah I know that, these are Solo wins, had 2 not get counted the weekend before last and 4 not counted last weekend.

Seditiar posted:

They're still working on getting their backlog live iirc.

If that's true they've made 0 progress from my perspective I have no stats from either outage as of yet. Oh well though karma might be sorting it out anyways - yesterday I had a 7 game run where I won 5, 3 of them in a row. Just kinda sucks that I'm basically at 60 total wins but if I tried to say I was I'd look quite the fool.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

A couple questions, sorry if these have already been addressed to death: do you need to spectate a 50v50 match all the way through to collect your XP? And has there been any talk from the devs about adding Trophies/Achievements?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
1. Who cares
2. Hopefully not

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I am excited with all the changes. Like a dog trying to follow all the cars in a road.

The snow maps looks sweet. New weapons area always good and some of them look fun/practical (that rocket launcher). Being able to check the inventory from the base screen. So good.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

The missile launcher looked very cool but impractical to me. The first shot will just trigger healing burst/smoke screens on mutated husks, so the second and third will be very ineffective. While the regular ones just one-shot basically any non-Mist monster it touches.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Seditiar posted:

The missile launcher looked very cool but impractical to me. The first shot will just trigger healing burst/smoke screens on mutated husks, so the second and third will be very ineffective. While the regular ones just one-shot basically any non-Mist monster it touches.

The one that shot blobs of energy afected by gravity seems that will be usefull to do damage in a huge area.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
You might be able to hit 3 different areas if you sweep the field while firing, will really depend on how close together they fire.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Skandranon posted:

You might be able to hit 3 different areas if you sweep the field while firing, will really depend on how close together they fire.

Yeah, that's fair enough. I was really hoping they'd show that on stream, but the footage just had someone blasting straight ahead without adjusting their crosshair.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Tetramin posted:

1. Who cares

Probably the people buying a battlepass care.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Okay I take it back, this launcher looks amazing. Got it from my first Llama. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTGd6u6rF70

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Max22 posted:

do you need to spectate a 50v50 match all the way through to collect your XP?

I have no idea, but that'd be really stupid if that's the case.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Survival is definitely my least favorite event. Heres a 1 hour mission and a 4 hours mission. Do this 3 times and you get the next step of the quest serie... Except is kind of boring and a high risk to do even the 3days mission, as people tend to drop from games and the average player is not very smart or cooperative.

Got a epic vacuun shotgun, was not able to upgrade it much, but feels good. I must learn all the rules for elemental damage.

The new heroes are interesting, I got a few of them on very low rarite, not gonna upgrade them yet (but are in reserve in case the higuest quality ones don't drop).

I am using my gold to buy upgrade tickets from epic to legendary. Maybe a stupid idea, but is what makes more sense to me.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I am kind of liking the way they did the gold as a standard mission reward, so you have incentive to get more points in missions so you get more gold from the chest at the end.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Tei posted:

... Elemental damage.

Off the top of my head:

PHYSICAL (no element) - Full damage to regular husks - HALF damage to elemental husks (Any element)
FIRE - FULL damage to regular husks - FULL damage to NATURE husks - 25% to WATER - HALF damage to FIRE
NATURE - FULL damage to regular husks - FULL damage to WATER husks - 25% to FIRE - HALF damage to NATURE
WATER - FULL damage to regular husks - FULL damage to FIRE husks - 25% to NATURE - HALF damage to WATER

FIRE > NATURE > WATER > FIRE

Husks take FULL damage from elements they are weak to, HALF from neutral/same elements, and a QUARTER damage from the element they trump.

ENERGY - Is unique: It simply does (I think) 65% damage to all flavours of element, rather than the 50% that physical would do, in addition to doing normal damage to non-elemental husks.
I'm not 100% certain on the bonus, but it is a decent upgrade - energy is NOT as good as using the 'strong' element but it is the most versatile.

PLASMA - Exclusive to a few (constructor usually) skills - Simply does full damage to everything.

Ideally you want a weapon (usually an assault rifle) of each element that you can swap between on the fly. Missions usually only feature one or two elemental flavours at a time - but later on in the game all three start showing up, and having each type on hand makes a big difference.
Energy is a decent stopgap, but not as efficient as having the 'correct' element. Still, if you have no alternative, a powerful Energy based gun can carry you through lots of content.
Physical is crappier the later you go in the game - just keep an eye out for replacements, even if you only use them for specific encounters.
Using the wrong element is to be avoided at all costs - just use physical at that point.

You want to use: STRONG element > ENERGY > PHYSICAL > WEAK ELEMENT (don't use)

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 15, 2017

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Huh, I thought elemental weapons did full damage to the same element and bonus damage to the weak one. I must be spoiled by my fire super shredder with crazy headshot bonuses.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Bakalakadaka posted:

I am kind of liking the way they did the gold as a standard mission reward, so you have incentive to get more points in missions so you get more gold from the chest at the end.

I only found out today that they sell evolve mats in the weekly shop. :v: Instantly dumped 400 gold in there. The prices of items are exactly as I hoped they'd be - reasonable.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
They're not terribly high prices but you're probably going to have to make decisions between chasing a legendary item or getting all the vbucks/evolve mats/armory spots/etc.

Meanwhile I got disconnected three separate times on one survive the storm run, so good to know that's still a thing. At least you can get back in now.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

MikeSevigny posted:

They're not terribly high prices but you're probably going to have to make decisions between chasing a legendary item or getting all the vbucks/evolve mats/armory spots/etc.

Meanwhile I got disconnected three separate times on one survive the storm run, so good to know that's still a thing. At least you can get back in now.

Not sure if fixed yet, but I was still able to do a 3-day level 70 survive the storm and get my 7 day level 70 quest completion. This was like 8 hours ago though, but probably not fixed yet.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
50v 50 is such a blast, sure it often ends in a curb stomp one way or the other, but the times it's even up to the final few are so worth it.

As are the mad initial battles in the towns.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
The initial battles in some of the small locations are amazing because you end up with pickaxe mobs because there arn't enough guns for everyone. But at the same time, there isn't enough bullets to kill everyone so the axe gang has a chance.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Why would they ever make 50v50 a time limited thing though

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Overwatch does the same thing and then popular stuff sticks around.

It’s a game devs way of introducing features that they don’t have to support forever if they wind up sucking and no one plays them

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Why would they ever make 50v50 a time limited thing though

- Events are better at making people come back to a game
- A rotation of different events make the game feel fresh
- Different gamemodes active at the same time spread the playerbase
- A limited time for a event allow then to work on the even, tryiing changes, while the event is offline. So the next time the event is active, has enhancements. If they make a mistake and now the event is unfun, is not a problem, because is time limited (so they can go again to the drawboard when is offline)
- They prioritize written new code over bug fixing old code, because writting new stuff is fun, but bugfixing can be boring (is not boring to me, but I understand that is less a creative endeavour)

One of the above

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Tei posted:

- Different gamemodes active at the same time spread the playerbase

- They prioritize written new code over bug fixing old code, because writting new stuff is fun, but bugfixing can be boring (is not boring to me, but I understand that is less a creative endeavour)

One of the above

These are both bad things fyi. Although PvE is a shitload buggier than their new baby - BR. But even then.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Seditiar posted:

These are both bad things fyi. Although PvE is a shitload buggier than their new baby - BR. But even then.

I know they are bad things. But fit the pattern. Is probably wrong since they say they are working on canny... of that we have not seen much. If a 30% of the effort put in new events and new gamemodes where put into finishing the game, we would have already 6 fully dressed area. Or thats how I feel.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Tei posted:

I know they are bad things. But fit the pattern. Is probably wrong since they say they are working on canny... of that we have not seen much. If a 30% of the effort put in new events and new gamemodes where put into finishing the game, we would have already 6 fully dressed area. Or thats how I feel.

Ah my bad, lots of people legitimately like Epic for the fact that they add tons of new events, so got confused a bit. Sure I like the events, but I'd rather they fix lag poo poo within 0-2 days, not 2 loving weeks. That being said, I'm really, REALLY loving the event so far. Trying to get all the good stuff from the weekly shop before it closes, probably like 1k more gold.

I sort of agree with you, new events do bring new people in and get that fire going in people who left before. I loved all the events so far, except for Fortnitemares. Now hear me out, the event itself: cool. Rewards: cool. It did however, split up the entire playerbase of PvE, which was hilariously small already. It was a loving nightmare (pun not intended) to get a party of 3 going, let alone 4. It also had an entirely new biome, new buildings. Where the hell did they leave those? You're telling me they made that poo poo beautiful, never to use again except for on Halloween, for about 3-4 weeks per year? gently caress that. Fix my Canny Valley/Twine Peaks story/rewards. And since I don't care about story, just give me good rewards.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Seditiar posted:

Ah my bad, lots of people legitimately like Epic for the fact that they add tons of new events, so got confused a bit. Sure I like the events, but I'd rather they fix lag poo poo within 0-2 days, not 2 loving weeks. That being said, I'm really, REALLY loving the event so far. Trying to get all the good stuff from the weekly shop before it closes, probably like 1k more gold.

They need to strike a balance between adding things and fixing the things they already have. We don't really know what they are doing behind closed doors, maybe they have some loving amazing areas that are progressing well. They do have awesome event areas.

Padawan
Nov 27, 2014

Well 50v50 looks like it's sticking around?

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Bricklord posted:

Well 50v50 looks like it's sticking around?

I believe it goes away at 8 a.m. eastern.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Heres some quick and nice guide to the even for PvE players

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6kn_TCNhes

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

What's the official word on trap setups? I've been liking the standard trap box setups with gas, freeze, wall launchers, and wall zappers.

I know what I was told when I first started was gas, spikes, wall darts all over the boxes. Is that just for material savings?

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

What's the official word on trap setups? I've been liking the standard trap box setups with gas, freeze, wall launchers, and wall zappers.

I know what I was told when I first started was gas, spikes, wall darts all over the boxes. Is that just for material savings?

Yeap, it mostly just boils down to having a good spread of traps so you don't use a lot of 1 thing while barely (if at all) using other things. Just like it's best to not have all 3 weapons use 1 type of ammo, you lose out on a lot of resources by being capped all the time.

I still do the 2 floor small killboxes, just changed my composition a bit. Usually 2x gas, 2x wall dart, 1x wall launcher, 1x dynamo and 2x Floor Spikes now. Kinda heavy on NBs (55), but that's probably about the same amount of NBs I'd use by using my AR. Now I can usually just stick to Chargers/Takers and the rest doesn't even get close.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 18, 2017

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

There's this new strategy since a few days (or at least that's when someone told me) in Atlas maps (and presumably Rocket Launch maps). You rush towards the Atlas, fill it, activate it and lose it. Then you repair and build a limited defense around it and activate again. But because you "lost" the previous defense, this time you get 1) no storm direction changes, 2) attacks from a single wind direction and 3) only a single camp will spawn. I.e. you basically get only 30-50% of the normal amount of Husks, they all come through the same direction and well, Twine Peaks Atlas maps basically changed into Plankerton levels.

Level 88 Atlas in action (with 2 very basic kill boxes):

Click. It's a pretty big gif.

It goes on for 7,5 minutes like this. Other than a few takers we didn't have to shoot, even Chargers didn't get through in time (but did require a slowfield if it was more than 1).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Seditiar posted:

There's this new strategy since a few days (or at least that's when someone told me) in Atlas maps (and presumably Rocket Launch maps). You rush towards the Atlas, fill it, activate it and lose it. Then you repair and build a limited defense around it and activate again. But because you "lost" the previous defense, this time you get 1) no storm direction changes, 2) attacks from a single wind direction and 3) only a single camp will spawn. I.e. you basically get only 30-50% of the normal amount of Husks, they all come through the same direction and well, Twine Peaks Atlas maps basically changed into Plankerton levels.

Level 88 Atlas in action (with 2 very basic kill boxes):

Click. It's a pretty big gif.

It goes on for 7,5 minutes like this. Other than a few takers we didn't have to shoot, even Chargers didn't get through in time (but did require a slowfield if it was more than 1).

How much loot do you lose from doing this?

• Locked thread