Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henry Scorpio
Mar 20, 2006

Maybe it just collapsed on its own?

Sickening posted:

I love those requirements. The amount of people that exist that fit those requirements in the UK are probably what, a few dozen?

Probably plenty of animation talent that fits the bill at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockstar_North .... but good luck pulling talent away from those projects and bonuses.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

I should seriously submit a resume

nice try lando

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

TheAgent posted:

well now I know what santa is bringing XK this year

I hope it's not a Kojima cutscene.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/iq_derek/status/940542454650023936
https://twitter.com/iq_derek/status/940690231413616640

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
An update to

CrazyLoon posted:

Just back from the dentist and news could've been better, fair nuff. Shitposts involving anime sigs/gangtags/icons/whatever, after I get probated for just a quick such link earlier, did tick me over the edge I'll admit...

EDIT: Oh no sorry, should've replied with: :argh: as PGabz I suppose.

Just came back from appointment, was not a cavity and only a filling that fell out and remarkably did not turn rotten for a couple of months, otherwise all my teeth are great according to him, I get back home and despite the residual pain after a nap, I do NOT wake up with a fever, feeling hungry and chomping down healthy fruit and I discover what is either a true believer posting ITT or at the least banned poster Clemens with a better gimmick than his last one.

As the great warrior-poet Ice Cube says...today was a good day! :)

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

although I have PMed a dick pic to every poster in this thread as an early Xmas gift

I have pms off due to Norwegian lady boys.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

redchris18 posted:

I do, however, appreciate what they do, not only for their work in helping get the build stable enough for a live release, but in simply existing and allowing me the entertainment value of all the snowflakes and low-quality trolls who have nowhere to go now that their main Reddit haunt has gone read-only.

I didn't realize the r/ds'ers were that self-aware.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Speaking of unfinished games, how's that Star Citizen coming along?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

nah I just buy packs and never play

They should include a commando class for this

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

trucutru posted:

They should include a commando class for this

Star Citizen - The Card Game

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

They're grasping at the most tenuous straws now. I think Kojima, whether you like his stuff or not, has an established history of delivery. If it takes him 6 years, you know for the entire time that he's making progress, has a plan, knows how to do it, and will get it done.

By contrast Chris Roberts has a documented history of failure (just like now), he's failed to deliver games in the past due to scope creep and ignorance of the subject (just like now), the games he failed to deliver in the past due to scope creep and ignorance of the subject were space games in particular (just like now), and he's been doing a note-perfect imitation of his previous fuckups since the project began. Nothing is planned, nothing is documented, nothing is scoped, nobody knows what the game is supposed to be, and there is no position in any of their multiple studios around the world whose job it is to determine those things, much less enforce them.

To compare these two people is absolutely ludicrous - they're not even both game developers. The only thing Chris Roberts ever developed was an extra chromosome.

Kojima is a loving genius (you may or may not like his games) and the completer opposite of CR in where is counts: the games. His games ooze with his unique style, are extremely polished, and often push the performance envelope.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

XK posted:

I hope it's not a Kojima cutscene.

it's not A cutscene, no...

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/gapingmaws/status/940713973132886016

https://twitter.com/wtfnickhax/status/940694971665059841

https://twitter.com/SteadyDriftin/status/940693520016318464

https://twitter.com/Trevote/status/940705261911707648

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

trucutru posted:

Kojima is a loving genius (you may or may not like his games) and the completer opposite of CR in where is counts: the games. His games ooze with his unique style, are extremely polished, and often push the performance envelope.

I agree. This is one of those times that although my tastes are literally the opposite of Kojima's (I can't stand the games, the cutscenes, the storylines, you name it - I was so happy the day I uninstalled MGSV after putting in over 70 hours thinking against all logic that at some point I had to start liking it) I can still agree that he's a master of his craft. Everything he does oozes with detail, beyond what anyone could reasonably expect people to put in a game. When you look into the Easter eggs in his poo poo it's unbelievable the lengths they go to just to put in, in top quality form no less, something almost nobody will even see. No bugs, no crashes, good visuals, it's an A+++ effort from every aspect.

I just don't like the games or the style. But it doesn't mean I can't appreciate it. I can't think of two people less apt to compare than him and CR.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

shrach posted:

Yeah for what's it worth, the items are considered to be an, "invitation to treat". Fisher vs Bell covered items in a shop window, there is another one for items on a supermarket shelf I think.

It is possible to make an "offer to the world at large". Carlill vs Carbolic Smokeball Company is the case that is most often cited on that but it's much harder to establish and even that case is considered a bit ropey. It's English common law but I'm pretty sure it's studied in US law schools too for some reason. I'm sure a resident paralegal could clarify.

The one for the supermarket shelf that I think you're referring to is Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain v Boots which is basically what you were saying; items on a shelf are an invitation to treat, not an offer, the customer taking the item to the till is the offer and the cashier on the till can then choose to accept or reject their offer.

I do like the Carlill case because it was basically snake-oil salesmen trying to weasel their way out of their commitment, which the court slammed them pretty hard for :allears:.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
the player counts were dropped, to increase the FPS

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

AP posted:

Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
the player counts were dropped, to increase the FPS

The stockings were hung by the wankpods with care
And then I crashed the server when I picked up a shotgun

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

XK posted:

I noped out of his stuff on Metal Gear Solid 2. It was a good game, and had some ridiculous "fidelitous" things in it that could've only come from someone who loved what they were making. The story in the cutscenes was just too much for me.

At least he makes impressive things, whether or not the story line rolls your eyes out of your head.

:same:

If I had to choose between sitting through a Hideo Kojima script and a Chris Roberts one, I'd have to think it over for a while

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

big nipples big life posted:

Comparing Kojima to anything Star Citizen chaps my rear end.

Me too, because Hideo makes games for console peasants while Chris is actually saving PC Gaming. The Shigeru comparisons are even more galling — that guy makes games for babies while Chris Roberts makes games for men.

Scruffpuff posted:

I think realistically, if you think about it, Kojima made that statement specifically to reference Star Citizen, because Chris Roberts is the one game developer he feels he can never hold a candle to, and he's trying to cover up for his hero before he makes the Last Game, rendering Kojima's future career plans moot. Which he's totally OK with because he will live forever in the 'Verse playing infinite subsumption NPC AI dynamic missions that will always be cinematic and have procedurally generated storylines that thrust even his best ideas into the shade.

^^ This. All of it.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 13, 2017

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I really wanted to do the Croberts bear but it wasn't in the thread recap. That's a shocking oversight imo.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i would 100% sit through a Kojima script over a Chris one. it might be incomprehensible, wanky self-indulgent garbage but at least it won't be as flaccid and boring as any of the poo poo we've heard dribble out of S42 so far

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Sarsapariller posted:

I really wanted to do the Croberts bear but it wasn't in the thread recap. That's a shocking oversight imo.

loving Christ :gonk:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

I have pms off due to Norwegian lady boys.
fyi any and all Norwegian ladyboys are welcome to PM myself or The Titanic

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
'Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the house

Fly your spaceship with a HOTAS, not a keyboard and mouse.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Here comes Crobber Claus
Here comes Crobber Claus
Right down Crobber Claus way
CIG needs all your money
Send it all their way

Christmas time means lots of JPEGs
They make everything right
Too bad there's not a game to play cause
Backers just ain't too bright

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Phi230 posted:

I just wanna see what happens when they realize it's over

:same:

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

ComfyPants posted:

Extension Level: Erect.

:drat:

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

Dick pics for the blind!

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

:lol: loving fale

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/TheAstroPub/status/940719769069735939

somebody else please cover this in case I miss anything.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

AP posted:

https://twitter.com/TheAstroPub/status/940719769069735939

somebody else please cover this in case I miss anything.

I can't wait for the Galactic Historian Lecture :allears:

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Ok I'll start it off, let's make this good....

On the first day of Christmas Chris Roberts gave to me

An invite to Evocati.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
On the second day of Chrismas Chris Roberts gave to me

Two turtlenecks

And an invite to Evocati

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Daztek posted:

They did a Serialized Variable Range Culling Network Test but it didn't have a noticable effect :v:

What the gently caress is wrong with these people

Request:

Shitizen thinks "What I am posting here is fine and good":

Scam them Chris.

Scam them.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

trucutru posted:

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Metal Gear Solid. The political commentary is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of international politics most of the meaning will go over a typical gamer’s head.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Scruffpuff posted:

They're grasping at the most tenuous straws now. I think Kojima, whether you like his stuff or not, has an established history of delivery. If it takes him 6 years, you know for the entire time that he's making progress, has a plan, knows how to do it, and will get it done.

By contrast Chris Roberts has a documented history of failure (just like now), he's failed to deliver games in the past due to scope creep and ignorance of the subject (just like now), the games he failed to deliver in the past due to scope creep and ignorance of the subject were space games in particular (just like now), and he's been doing a note-perfect imitation of his previous fuckups since the project began. Nothing is planned, nothing is documented, nothing is scoped, nobody knows what the game is supposed to be, and there is no position in any of their multiple studios around the world whose job it is to determine those things, much less enforce them.

To compare these two people is absolutely ludicrous - they're not even both game developers. The only thing Chris Roberts ever developed was an extra chromosome.

This also just basically ignores that Kojima has produced, directed, and/or written a game that has released every year for the past goddamn 20 years.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

ManofManyAliases posted:

I mean, they're there, right? Game gets made? I'll enjoy them with my friends. If it doesn't? Lesson learned in crowd-funding I suppose.

I make big money bets at -1 to 1 odds so that I can learn about gambling.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

TheAgent posted:

although I have PMed a dick pic to every poster in this thread as an early Xmas gift

Quit posting dick pics and finish Love Pledge.

Or do both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

On the thirdd day of Chrismas Chris Roberts gave to me

Three con men

Two turtlenecks

And an invite to Evocati